[22/11] Lightning Returns team reaches development milestone

Status
Not open for further replies.

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
13-2.jpg

The Lightning Returns Facebook and Twitter accounts have seen recaps over this past week on topics such as battle customization, time elements, and even day and night cycles.

Today, producer Yoshinori Kitase spoke up for the first time in quite a while, providing a little insight on where Lightning Returns is currently headed, as well as when we can expect some new information.

Kitase says that the development team has reached its one big milestone. The first part of the game has been implemented to some extent, and the team staff have been collecting playtest feedback. Using that feedback, the team hopes to strengthen the game. They’ll repeat this several times over in order to polish the quality of the final product.

While development is progressing well, Kitase stresses that we’ll have to wait a little while longer for more information.

LRFFXIII was 30% complete as of September and is scheduled for release sometime in 2013.

Source: Nova Crystallis

So for the 999th time, may I repeat how ridiculous it is how fast they get these other XIII titles shelled out in comparison to say, Versus?

I beg the game won't turn out to be as ridiculous and jarring to the Final Fantasy XIII universe as it seems to be so far.

I agree...these games are finished within a year and half a year of localization.

We all want Versus, its ridiculous how easy they ignore versus.

Yea. XIII and lightning has already become a bust for me. I'm just waiting for Versus, which I hope will not turn into a 3 part videogame series with no development of the main character or the world mythos. Reusing XIII resources to make an unappealing game doesn't interest me. Focus on Versus dammit. -_-

Funny that, they're a bit reluctant this time to show us, rather than tell us. This is perhaps the one time I do genuinely want them to show us something because otherwise, we are completely basing their account on what they have said. And they've said something more ambitious than anything FFXIII and FFXIII-2 have ever been, yet at the same time, something that sounded like a mish-mash of different games' ideas lumped together.

Guys and girls, if you want to know how a good trilogy of any kind of media and entertainment is handled - it isn't this by a long shot.

We all want Versus.

Nope. I'm sure a substantial number of people, myself included, have reached a stage of utter indifference that it doesn't matter to us what happens to this game now, whether it manages to come out of the metaphorical womb after one of the longest gestation periods ever, or whether it just never sees the light of day.

Reusing XIII resources to make an unappealing game doesn't interest me. Focus on Versus dammit. -_-

Apparently they're not reusing assets. Apparently they've actually cooked up something a bit more original this time, which is utterly ridiculous considering their 2013 release date ambition, the fact that they were on 30% two months ago and are now getting to a stage where internal playtesting is possible? I'm absolutely certain that at least one more external developer is at hand here, or possibly more than one, because this is efficiency that Square Enix can never ever ever ever ever manage on their own. Either that or the game is short, half-arsed and ugly. Either one of the two possibilities sounds about right.

And I wager that most of Square-Enix's teams that are proficient enough with making non-handheld or mobile games were shifted to FFXIV 2.0's development. You better tell them to hurry up with FFXIV 2.0 instead then, because I really don't think LR: FFXIII is potentially holding any other game back. If anything, it keeps Toriyama busy because he's in his stable. I don't want him let out to roam the fields anytime too soon.

Sorry stella, but thay just sounds like a way of avoiding possible dosapointment. When it does come out, you wont feel so indifferent about it

Well

good to see that you think you know enough about me and/or can see that far ahead into the future to say that. I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I've grown rather disillusioned with video games now. Disillusioned or apathetic, either one will do. Frankly, I just don't have that time, opportunity or will anymore. Give it until whenever Versus comes out, it's possible that I'll have quit gaming altogether by then. Regrettably, I'm moving past this phase. So yes, at the moment, this is genuine indifference. Take that as you will. They can announce the cancellation of Versus tomorrow and it won't ever come near to ruining my day.

But I suppose you're half right. By now it's hard to be disappointed when expectations have been sensibly cranked down to be so low. And that's what I've done. I'm expecting something playable at least, but that's pretty much it. All the things about how this will "save" the franchise as if it's magic is only not nonsense if the game doesn't tank and manages to maintain some relevance of the franchise for a little while longer. Though in the case of LR: FFXIII, maybe if after the previous games I crank my expectations down so low they're at the negatives and stay there for long enough, the game stands a fair chance of pleasantly surprising me.

Hmm. I agree that a 2013 release date is quite ambitious - && perhaps a bad sign of what is to come. xD I can't fathom how a game can be developed that quickly considering they're not just reusing old resources. (Or perhaps there will be a mix of both old and new? techhnically, keeping the same characters is reusing an important resource for story development, so...) In any case, I won't be a sore FF fan; I'll take the time to look into this game once it releases. I don't have high hopes for it anyhow, so I doubt my expectations will be unmet. >D

At this point, I kinda take games for what they are. Even if I am not 100% in agreement with certain aspects of a game, I tend to overlook them and focus on the positive features. That's what I've been doing with Tales of Graces f as of late anyhow, && I probably did the same for FFXIII and FFXIII-2. That probably explains why I am in the minority of fans on these forums who actually enjoys both games, lol... This is not to say that I'm incapable of critiquing a game, but I believe that certain games are still worthwhile to play despite some shortcomings and flaws.

Eh don't believe them. Remember when Final Fantasy XIII-2 was coming out and they promised all these things and said that they have improved on things and didn't really deliver ?

I'm waiting for the game to released and then for them to try and troll us yet again. DLC ending maybe ? DLC opening ? DLC CD 2 ? Just anything like that, I'm crossing my arms and waiting for happen and then for the fans to say " Oh, but you just hate the FF13 games because you're a nostalgia fag " !
:derp:

No I hate the games because they are terrible and trollish.
-__-

Well to be honest I see this as a good thing, they are used to their engine and implementation of gameplay mechanics that it takes them little time now compared to say FFXIII. I believe Versus is being placed on a semi newer version in which I can understand the lengthy process (But by now we should have seen something). The other day I read that it took them a whole year to churn out that 3 minutes Agni FF Tech Demo which I thought was wasteful (A year spent elsewhere? perhaps on Versus).

But yer we shall see, to be honest it only took 2 years for a mass effect sequel to come out one after the other. Annual for the assassins creed franchise and they never lost their quality. I deem the 2 years for each FFXIII installment normal to be honest.

Uh, pretty much everything they promised with FFXIII-2 happened. I dont know where you are getting this didnt deliver information.

Uh, pretty much everything they promised with FFXIII-2 happened. I dont know where you are getting this didnt deliver information.

Nope. Because they promised a ending with Lightning being happy and with her smiling.

Nope. Because they promised a ending with Lightning being happy and with her smiling.

Well they suggested that Lightning wasnt trullly happy in XIII-2. But even then that was a little pointless because it didnt matter.

This game looks like its gonna be the advent children to the lightning saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back