Who killed Aerith?

No. She was dead. In the official novella released by square enix it is said that Aerith is watching from the lifestream as Cloud lays her to rest. Read for yourself.

"However, that didn't mean the end of Aerith. She was watching. She wasn't watching through her beautiful green eyes but through her soul... She watched within a discarnate body filled with the energy of life, as it overlapped her physical body. She watched as the surface of the lake drew further away. She watched as the human shapes gazed at her from the hazy other world (the world where things were alive was another world to her). She watched Cloud's face which looked as if his heart was going to fall apart from the sadness of loosing her, the anger and hate he had for her being taken from him." --MAIDEN OF THE PLANET

I can't watch the video, but I already know when and who killed her. It was Sephiroth. Although, Cloud does blame himself and believes that her death was his fault. :hmmm:

my poor baby lost his woman :damon:

Even if she didn't die from stabbing she still sank to the bottom of a lake, probably drowning to death. :tehe: Sephiroth killed her.

Ok I cant watch the whole video it is a bunch of random pictures and doesn't get anywhere at all....

I'm guessing there saying Cloud killed her from either the lake or something else.
No Sephiroth killed her, she died when she was stabbed. Fact, Square said as much.
So.... yeah not sure what else to say to this...

The blood thing, there are lots of theory's from the rating of the game (remember this was 97, and it might of been feared to get a M if they showed it coming out of someone not like when it was just on Sephrioth at the end of the game,) to the sword.

And as far as anything else this video is trying to say... too many stupid pictures for me to even follow... sorry I tried but...just can't see any real point with 1000000000000000000 pictures of random stuff to 7 pictures of what he is trying to say...

right-in-the-childhood.jpg

I hate to say it but he did a pretty thorough research. Following his line of thought I am half convinced it is possible.

HOW MORBID WOULD THAT BE IF IT WAS TRUE :gonk:

Regarding the Video

Wow, a lot of sticks in the mud around here? :hmmm: I rather liked the presentation of the video - the tons of pictures and all. Would you prefer if it was a guy recording his face talking for a full 10minutes? or even 5minutes? Seriously, he did a good job entertaining me considering that he only used photos and some video clips to emphasize his point. But I guess the style used in the video wasn't everyone's cup of tea... -.-;

Mind you, some of the images WERE helpful in explaining his theory. For instance, the photos of the human body to illustrate how the stab wound did not hit vital organs based upon where the sword pierced the body. But I'm sure some of you didn't even get that far in the video. :mokken:

Plus he did it in a funny/humorous way to show that although his theory was well-thought out and developed, he was being light-hearted and not uber serious about it. He even says at the end that it's only a theory - probably to avoid getting tons of criticism from viewers assuming that he's stating it as a fact. It is not a fact. It's a theory. There's nothing wrong with exploring alternative ideas - despite there being evidence to suggest otherwise. It's like a "What If..." / hypothetical scenario.

Regarding the Theory

Anyhow, despite existing Square-Enix evidence, I think it's an interesting idea to consider - even if it seems more like humorous irony for Cloud who is greatly affected by Aerith's death. It would be quite ironic if he caused Aerith's death by drowning her unknowingly while she was unconscious, would it not? xD

I agree with Shace on the idea that perhaps the blood from the sword piercing was omitted because Squaresoft wanted to avoid earning a higher rating of M, and thus potentially restricting their sales and audience. I think back then, parents were more strict about their kids playing "M" rated games, so this would have been a loss of a larger audience for Squaresoft.

Also, even though there was blood 1) in the Shinra building, 2) on Sephy's face at the end of the game, 3) on the Midgar Zolom after Sephy killed it, etc etc, it's a little different to have blood spewing from the torso of a playable character who is supposed to represent what is holy and good (unlike Sephiroth who is supposed to be a villain anyhow). It probably would've been a little too harsh of a display to see that for some fans.

Although I do like the guy's theory in the YouTube video that suggests maybe Aerith does not show any signs of blood because she is an ancient with mystical powers, and he demonstrates that idea by noting that there was a deeply spiritual guy who would not bleed no matter how many stab wounds and piercings were done to his body. He didn't feel the pain from any bodily wounds really... But, of course, one would question why Sephy has blood all over his face at the end of the game, since he's also a Cetra like Aerith... :hmmm:

Just lighten up everyone. I think the OP created a very interesting discussion thread! :3

There wasn't blood because they didn't want her death to be gross--they wanted it to be heartbreaking. And by the time Aerith is watching from the lifestream as Cloud lays her to rest, she isn't unconscious or passed out but she's actually dead. That's how she's watching from the lifestream. If she had been passed out then she wouldn't have any idea of what was happening as Cloud laid her to rest.

Besides that, after she's stabbed by Seph Cloud catches her before she hits the floor, he proceeds to shout out her name a few times and even tries to shake her awake out of disbelief that she could be gone, but she never wakes. If she had really been alive and had not been damaged in a vital organ area as the theory suggests then she would have no scientific reason to have passed out (even from shock), unless of course it was caused by her losing blood immensely and was on the verge of death--which proves again that she was dead by the time she hit the water.

Cloud did not unknowingly drown Aerith while she was passed out. The guy held her close to his body for a good few moments, trying to shake her awake, and was even calling out her name--she was dead. If anyone knows whether or not her heart was still beating it would be Cloud, and seeing how he definitely wouldn't have laid the woman he loves in the lake if she was still breathing, it's safe to say that she was dead.

Sorry for the crappy image, but perhaps there's another possibility?

tifakill.jpg

:trollita: (Just kidding of course - Tifa would never do anything like that! o_o; )

All jokes aside, it makes the most sense to say that Sephy killed Aeris. The only reason anyone would suggest otherwise is because of the lack of blood, honestly. But since that can be explained by numerous reasons, it's a mute point I guess. Still fun to consider otherwise. :p

In the meantime, Aerith gets revenge. >3

Aeris_kill_Sephiroth.jpg

You asked a question, gave a theory. And I wanted to help you, and others, understand. I thought that's what is wanted for questions. If you had said, this is just for fun, I wouldn't have even come in here. But it seemed like a question and I wanted to answer it. :/

Believe me, I love angst. :ryan:

Yep, definitely Sephiroth. If she was just unconscious, then she would still be breathing. Also, if Cloud did drown her, there would have been bubbles from air escaping her lungs.

And... Okay, so let's say this theory is true. That Cloud did drown her, thinking she was already dead. That would still be Sephiroth's fault anyway. He intended to have her killed, and if it was a case of him failing, he was the cause for Cloud finishing the job.

But anyways, there are crazy amounts of theories surrounding this game. I don't get it. Why can't people just take it for what it is? It's already a fantastic game without fanatical fans looking too much into things. :monster:

It's already a fantastic game without fanatical fans looking too much into things.

Finally, someone with sense. Seriously, this is the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen, almost on par with the "Squall's Dead" theory of FFVIII. I'm pretty certain they'd be able to see breathing, or at the very least feel a pulse if she were still alive. Besides, with an injury like that she would've bled out during their fight with Jenova. Case closed.

Perhaps Cali, but some people have imagination. They don't have to strictly follow what Square had said, or what seems blatantly obvious- people can make believe, and make such a heart wrenching scene even more tragic.

I believe Sauron wasn't the real villain of Lord of the Rings, I think it was Sam.

Finally, someone with sense. Seriously, this is the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen, almost on par with the "Squall's Dead" theory of FFVIII. I'm pretty certain they'd be able to see breathing, or at the very least feel a pulse if she were still alive. Besides, with an injury like that she would've bled out during their fight with Jenova. Case closed.

You hate the Squall is dead theory too ? Omg lets be friends :jess:

While I don't think that Mat ( I think that's name ) theory was stupid. I do think that he might want to replay FF VII and give it another look, plus Cloud would of checked for a pulse surely and yeah during that fight with Jenova, if Aerith was just in a parazlayed state, she would of shown signs after that fight of being alive hopefully. Though don't take his theories seriously. After all at the end of every episode he does say that it's just a theory. :)

Plus in FFIX remember when Garnet was in a coma due to Kuja's sleeping spell, they could tell that her heart was still beating. So yeahs. However there is one thing that does scare me about this theory, originally Sephiroth wanted Cloud to do the dirty work and have Cloud kill her with his sword by mind control. What if Sephiroth stabbing her was plan B and knowing that Cloud would assume that she died by his sword and have Cloud kill her that way ? Just a creepy thought.

Last edited:
Chanteru

Sephiroth wasn't an ancient, he was just a regular kid in the womb until Lucrecia was injected with Jenova cells, who we find out wasn't an ancient, but a 'calamity from the sky' which essentially infected all the ancients and killed most of them off up to the point that there is only Aerith and her mother left

I'm pretty positive Sephy did, but most people think it was more of Jenova though because Sephy was at the Northern Crater at that time. Also that video is just some silly theory. I believe Cloud wouldn't have put her in the lake if he believed she was still alive in some way. If she had been knocked out he could have used a Phoenix Down!

Who killed Aerith?

It wasn't Sephiroth, it was his twin brother. See, Aries and his brother had an affair and conceived a child. The Turks were actually from social services trying to get him for child support, but little did they know, they were going after the wrong brother. Since Sephiroth was taking all the heat and bent on world destruction anyway, his brother decided to take advantage of it and kill her, thereby being free of the courts. He eventually went on to becoming lower Midgars most wanted bachelor, taking Don Corneo's kingdom to the next level. There is a commemorative statue of him in the center of Wall Market wearing hater blockers and a pimp cane.

Now, before you go "LOL u must b sum sorta n00b cours sephy killed aeris," please hear me out.

Now, I had recently saw this video, and I had thought REALLY hard about this fact- if Sephiroth actually kills Aerith. Sure, he does stab her through the torso, but this video made me think differently about this. Watch the entire video before deciding on a final conclusion.
Watch it all. It won't make sense otherwise.
No, seriously. Watch it all. Don't stop to make a counter argument just yet.
Don't even stop when he mentions the lack of blood, because he explains that too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJ_3_wYROc&feature=relmfu

Click the link, because when I try to put the video in the thread, it doesn't seem to work.
I never major'd in human biology, but these facts do seem to add up to the fact that Sephiroth did not exactly kill Aerith. She may have very well been alive during the time she sunk in the water. Of course, you're reading this before you clicked the link. Go click it. Now.
Tell me what you guys think about it.

Of course, it's just a theory, as the guy stated, but it makes too much sense to ignore it. I could believe in something like this.

Let me just start by saying, bravo. It's brave to bring up such an "out there" theory, especially with this game, and the topic. Arguably this is the key point of the game, so to question it you must have confidence in what you're suggesting. At least it's not a case of you saying, " OK, Sephiroth didn't kill her, it was Cloud. End of."

This is the first time I have seen this video, and I admit that from the outset I thought the idea was madness. However, the way each point is made kind of forces you to consider the points raised. I find myself buying into the idea whilst watching the video, but almost as soon as it ends, I revert back to normal.

Sometimes I think it's a good thing that a game can force such debate. Personally, I doubt the developers have inserted some hidden twist like this that we may never find. Why would they? With something of this nature they would need to make it more obvious. Let's face it, the guy who made this video has obviously put some serious thought and time into it. I just don't think a massive game changing event like the one that's being suggested would be so hard to decipher.

If we relate this theory to the characters, take a look at Sephiroth. He's a guy who is portrayed as a warrior, an assassin of sorts. He's also Cloud's mental torturer. So, considering his skills (fighting and manipulation) would Sephiroth have failed his objective, to kill Aerith? I don't think so. If she didn't die and it turns out Cloud drowned her, would he not have destroyed Cloud's mind by constantly reminding him of it?

Those are my thoughts on the subject anyway. Nice theory, but a touch over-thought. That's not a criticism of you, pokeman.

this is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. you should be ashamed. the ten foot long sword that skewered her is how she died, not drowning. what sort of morbid game would it be if she aeris hadn't died, and then the main character who supposedly loves her decides to drop her into a lake. get a grip.

Now, before you go "LOL u must b sum sorta n00b cours sephy killed aeris," please hear me out.

Now, I had recently saw this video, and I had thought REALLY hard about this fact- if Sephiroth actually kills Aerith. Sure, he does stab her through the torso, but this video made me think differently about this. Watch the entire video before deciding on a final conclusion.
Watch it all. It won't make sense otherwise.
No, seriously. Watch it all. Don't stop to make a counter argument just yet.
Don't even stop when he mentions the lack of blood, because he explains that too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJ_3_wYROc&feature=relmfu

Click the link, because when I try to put the video in the thread, it doesn't seem to work.
I never major'd in human biology, but these facts do seem to add up to the fact that Sephiroth did not exactly kill Aerith. She may have very well been alive during the time she sunk in the water. Of course, you're reading this before you clicked the link. Go click it. Now.
Tell me what you guys think about it.

Of course, it's just a theory, as the guy stated, but it makes too much sense to ignore it. I could believe in something like this.

sooooo you have a theory that cloud killed aerith let's go and work this out shall we

'he didn't go through any vital organs'

you don't know that, she got stabbed in the belly, there the liver, kidneys as well as of couse the stomachs, there were plenty of organd that the sword could of entered, but also you got to note that the sword was curves, therefore the entrance point would of been different than the exit point also aerith wasn't stright when she got stabbed, therefore she was praying, therefore again, the entrance point would of have been different than the exit point

'There No Blood'

there you are correct BUT there are two reasons why this could be the case, firstly, this was square enix's first time into the world of 3D Modelling, therefore there were bound to be things that they might not be able to do, and one might of been the blood effect. as a game designer myself I know blood is one of the harder objects to render in 3D Software, as liquaid requires alot of processing power, and animated it was just too much for the animators who might of been 3d modelling for tjhe first time ever. secondly, she might of been bleeding internally, therefore the blood would of NOT been seen, and bleeding internally is more dangerous than bleeding normally. finally 'and i'm being very weaid here' the bump to the head after her fall might of caused bleeding on the brain, and over time causing a Brain Hemmoerage and overtime killing her.

Cloud Drowned her afterwards'

EDIT: daymon just told me that if she has a punchure wound from the sword she wouldn't have no air soo she would of have sunk anyway...... but if she was alive, she would still have air in her lungs to float.... only dead bodies sink :grin:

I can see the point of this, but my points about shows that sephiroth just might of killed aerith

Oh boy, this is what I get for placing a video like this here. Eh, it was partially expected.

At least some members took what the guy said with a grain of salt- because remember, "It's just a theory....
A GAME THEORY."

It's pretty obvious that Square wanted Aerith to die there, but some overlooked evidence and logic allows us to make our own conclusions on this scene.

Well, there goes my non-existent reputation here. Heh. Funny, funny.

I wasn't mocking you 'I would be the last regular to do that' I was just putting my own theroies accross, as a game designer I wanted to point out my point about the early 3D Modelling days, everybody has a right to put accross their own theroy, and I think it very logical, it a bit like science really, people create a theroy, then people put the others across til it right, :) I think you had a very valid point in that video with the sword bit, it does look like it might of missed her vital organs, some of my theroies are rubbish, like the bump on the head, as I think cloud caught her 'and i'm surprised nobody pointed that out yet' :wacky:

trust me If it came across as me mocking you i'm really sorry :sad3: that was not my aim, I just wanted to put my point across as a game designer and as a fellow final fantasy fan :yay:

That big-ass fucking:-)kinky:) sword was stabbed through her torso. Even if she hadn't have drowned, the wound would probably killed her.

Also, I would count the stabbing as the main reason of the death due to the fact that- without her being stabbed- she couldn't hypothetically drowned anyway.

But... I do have my own ideas. I personally believe JR Ewing is the mastermind behind Aerthis's death, because of him being a wicked bastardo.

:monster:

Back