FFXI Based game on RPG Maker Anyone tried making one?

black_eclipse

Ex-Soldier
Gil
Not expecting a perfect clone or anything. Just want to feel playing XI. It's like playing standard console RPG with the plot and elements of XI.

If you're talking about the Enterbrain RPG Maker series, then I think you're out of luck. Unless you could somehow script a system yourself and then go through the requirements of having a server set up for people to join in with the game, then you won't be able to play anything MMORPG-like via RPG Maker. And, since Square wouldn't allow such a thing to go public, you would be expecting someone to put insane amounts of time and effort to make something he/she wouldn't be paid for, and would have to keep very low-key about. Not gonna happen. =\

I have heard of people attempted FF-game remakes/spin-off's on RPG Maker, but I've yet to come across anything that is actually finished.

If I've misunderstood, please eloborate on what you're asking here...

If you're talking about the Enterbrain RPG Maker series, then I think you're out of luck. Unless you could somehow script a system yourself and then go through the requirements of having a server set up for people to join in with the game, then you won't be able to play anything MMORPG-like via RPG Maker. And, since Square wouldn't allow such a thing to go public, you would be expecting someone to put insane amounts of time and effort to make something he/she wouldn't be paid for, and would have to keep very low-key about. Not gonna happen. =\

I have heard of people attempted FF-game remakes/spin-off's on RPG Maker, but I've yet to come across anything that is actually finished.

If I've misunderstood, please eloborate on what you're asking here...
Like I said, I doesn't need to feel like MMORPG. Just feeling like a console RPG is fine. I don't even care whether it's 2d or 3d. I just want to feel like playing XI with it's world, settings, plot and game elements without the online interaction.

You didn't say you weren't looking for an MMORPG. :P But in that case, then it's perfectly possible to make a game set in that world, with the same plot elements, and many of the typical features you will find in an RPG. I wouldn't advise it, though, because it would be a breach of copyright, and will probably warrant a C&D from Square-Enix.

But why not look into some original RPG Maker games? Or better yet, purchase the program and make one yourself. Provided you have the creativity, it's easy to make a game with it. They've actually released a 'Lite' edition of RPG Maker VX Ace, which is basically just a watered down version of the actual program, but provided for free by Enterbrain. It has most of the same features, but it is a lot more limited than the actual program.

I'm currently working on my own game using RPG Maker VX Ace. It's really fun, and they've got a fantastic support forum with tonnes of staff and members alike perfectly happy to help anyone who's stuck.

You didn't say you weren't looking for an MMORPG. :P But in that case, then it's perfectly possible to make a game set in that world, with the same plot elements, and many of the typical features you will find in an RPG. I wouldn't advise it, though, because it would be a breach of copyright, and will probably warrant a C&D from Square-Enix.

But why not look into some original RPG Maker games? Or better yet, purchase the program and make one yourself. Provided you have the creativity, it's easy to make a game with it. They've actually released a 'Lite' edition of RPG Maker VX Ace, which is basically just a watered down version of the actual program, but provided for free by Enterbrain. It has most of the same features, but it is a lot more limited than the actual program.

I'm currently working on my own game using RPG Maker VX Ace. It's really fun, and they've got a fantastic support forum with tonnes of staff and members alike perfectly happy to help anyone who's stuck.

Well, to be honest, i'm a total noob at RPGmaker. So making games would be next to impossible. I might try, but I think it will take a lot of time especially if I just make it all by myself.

I doubt such a thing exists, but it would take tremendous amounts of time and effort from tons of people to put together a -decent- FFXI fangame. I don't think you understand what you're asking for here. Even the best RPG Maker users take hundreds of hours and require tons of commitment to come up with something decent using the program. It's not something you can just go out and 'request'.

I think you would have better luck mastering the program and making it yourself, and if you really wanted it to exist that badly, you might even be able to do it.

Well, to be honest, i'm a total noob at RPGmaker. So making games would be next to impossible. I might try, but I think it will take a lot of time especially if I just make it all by myself.

Everyone has been there. Making a game using RPG Maker wouldn't be impossible if you put in the time and effort to learn how it works. You can't expect to know how it works without taking the time to learn.

Go grab the Lite edition, look up some tutorials on the RM Web forum and start off with something very small. Seriously, you'll be suprised at what you can accomplish with just a little bit of time and creativity.

Everyone has been there. Making a game using RPG Maker wouldn't be impossible if you put in the time and effort to learn how it works. You can't expect to know how it works without taking the time to learn.

Go grab the Lite edition, look up some tutorials on the RM Web forum and start off with something very small. Seriously, you'll be suprised at what you can accomplish with just a little bit of time and creativity.

This is 100% true.

I haven't used RPG maker in a long time, but last I knew, it didn't support Active Time Battles (maybe the newer version do?). Aside from that, you'd probably be better off making a fan game based off of the 16 bit games since RPG maker is molded after those styles of games (actually, last I remember, the battle system was similar to that of Mystic Quest and Dragon Quest).

You can do some really awesome things with the scripting language in the program though. It's a nice thing to learn, and hell, it might get you into programming!

I doubt such a thing exists, but it would take tremendous amounts of time and effort from tons of people to put together a -decent- FFXI fangame. I don't think you understand what you're asking for here. Even the best RPG Maker users take hundreds of hours and require tons of commitment to come up with something decent using the program. It's not something you can just go out and 'request'.

I think you would have better luck mastering the program and making it yourself, and if you really wanted it to exist that badly, you might even be able to do it.

I am willing to learn and develop. But the problem is, I don't have enough time for it.

I haven't used RPG maker in a long time, but last I knew, it didn't support Active Time Battles (maybe the newer version do?).

There are many scripts for implementing an ATB.

I am willing to learn and develop. But the problem is, I don't have enough time for it.

Ah, at least you know you can do it provided you have the time then. :)

On another note; shouldn't this topic really been in some general gaming forums or something?

Yeah, there are quite a few websites actually dedicated to the resources for this. I've been signed up on a few of them and most are pretty decent, but the difficulty, as someone said, comes from finding projects that are actually completed.

Making a game in such a large scale is an....enormous project and unlikely to be completed in any real margin of time. I've found that most developers who make games from RPG Maker tend to make shorter or smaller scale RPGs. You won't find many titles like Golden Sun, for example as it's just...way too time consuming. I don't mean all titles could be beat in 4 or 5 hours, but they simply aren't as "full" as other titles.

The ATB you implement depends on which installation of RPG Maker you are using. Also, remember the most popular type of battle system may not always be the best one for your installation/game, not to mention script conflicts you may run into. Each addition to your game (even from the same creator) have a nice chance of conflicting with one another, ergo extremely high amounts of custom scripts can run into serious issues. I'm not saying it all won't work together, just that you simply have to be smart about it. Dunno if Yanfly's engine does ATB, but I've heard lots of people say they really like it. May be worth looking into.

Also, I don't think it was originally geared towards anything technical, just a general probe of "is there one" but it's certainly devolved into more of a "what you need to make" thing. Could work hear or underneath computing and/or PC gaming.

Each addition to your game (even from the same creator) have a nice chance of conflicting with one another, ergo extremely high amounts of custom scripts can run into serious issues.

Actually, most scripters tend to make their scripts compatible with most others. I mostly use scripts provided by Tsukihime, Vlue and Khas from the RPG Maker community, along with some of Victor's and Yanfly's and I have never run into any issues between them.

And about RPG Maker games being on-par with the likes of Golden Sun, etc. Granted, there probably are only a handful, but people who take RPG Maker seriously do come up with some truly amazing stuff. You could probably find some on Steam or Kickstart and the like because... Well, they but a heck of a lot of time and effort into it, not to mention probably commissioning people to script for them or make resources or whatever, so they have every right to put a price tag on their game. xD

But when it comes to non-commercial RM games, you probably are right about them not really being so "full" as other titles.

Back