Did Squall discover...?

black_eclipse

Ex-Soldier
Gil
That he is Laguna's son?

It's been told that Raine and Laguna had a baby and that baby was sent to an orphanage after Raine's death. Squall and Laguna met each other in Esthar but both didn't know their true relationship.

Is there any medium that confirmed this?

In the game? simple answer no
It was never officially said either in the game.

He didn't find out within the game, but Laguna tells him they have a lot to talk about at one point, so I imagine he would find out soon after the events of the game.

If I remember right, if you talk to Kiros and Ward in that scene when Squall and Laguna talk about the mission or whatever, Kiros says something like "you look a lot like your mother" or "you don't look like your father." Don't really remember the specifics of it.

Yep what kinikko said and it is very much implied near the end of the game when laguna says that they need to talk after ultimecia's defeat. By the time you get the scene at the garden during the ending where they are all having a party Squall should already know.

This was one of the things I didn't like about FFVIII. It's clearly implied, but I would have at least liked to see Squall's reaction to such a revelation. Even when Laguna enters the picture in Esthar, no one really questions him about their "Laguna dreams." Ugh, it was quite frustrating.

I had a feeling since the very first Laguna flashback that he was Squall's father. He looked like him and, most importantly, the fact that he was in love with Rinoa's mother kinda gave it away. I also would have loved to have "old" Laguna and Squall fight side-by-side. Oh well. :P

I'm pretty sure they didn't have Squall realize and react to it because it would have been overbearing to the story. There was already enough mush mush counterbalancing the badassery.

If I remember right, Moombas recognize humans by sniffing or licking their blood. At one point, they thought Squall was Laguna, since they remember Laguna from an earlier incident.
I'm kinda glad they never come out and say it. It's clearly obvious, and doesn't REALLY need to be said.... although I DO wonder why they never questioned Laguna when they meet him in person at Esthar after those weird dreams.

It is pretty obvious to be fair!

Squall was the only child at the orphanage to call Ellone sis that's because they were in fact step-brother and sister as Raine adopted Ellone and gave birth to Squall.

Actually, in Ragnarok, if you talk to Ward, Kiros will tell you that Ward wants to say that you (Squall) look more than your mother (Raine) than your father (Laguna).

The game was definitely not explicit about the whole thing, but it was mentioned!

Yeah, I'm glad it was never said outright, but I do wonder why the party never really questioned the Laguna dreams any further.

Actually, in Ragnarok, if you talk to Ward, Kiros will tell you that Ward wants to say that you (Squall) look more than your mother (Raine) than your father (Laguna).

The game was definitely not explicit about the whole thing, but it was mentioned!

Yes, this had me thinking as well. I wonder if the same thing was implied in the original Japanese dialogue. After all, the localisation team was far better in Final Fantasy VIII than VII, but some things always get lost in translation.

Ah come on, there were obviously far more pressing matters for them to deal with than trying to decipher some dreams. All that can come after saving the world. :monster:

Back