FFXIII-2 Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Worth Getting?

Laquaza

a.k.a Shxdow
Gil
Hey Guys, I'm coming to an end on FF XIII, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, However When I was looking at the Reviews for its Sequel I was suprised to see many people saying that it is'nt worth buying for a Numerous amount of Reasons. My question is Should I buy it once I've finished XIII?:dragon: #Dragon

If you liked XIII then I think you should give XIII-2 a go. At least you know you'll like the characters :)

I personally enjoyed FFXIII-2 more than FFXIII. I enjoyed the battle system more and the story was more 'interesting' with the time traveling concept. I feel as well that FFXIII-2 had Caius which to me was a far more developed villain than in XIII. It is up to you, you can leave your journey at FFXIII or you can continue with its sequel.

*Thread stickied* since we haven't had a 'worth getting' thread for FFXIII-2 =)

I think that FFXIII-2 is worth getting for someone who likes FFXIII. FFXIII-2 has better gameplay but arguably worse story. Just play the game with an open mind and it should feel like a decent game (albeit the numerous disappointments and surprises in the game).

Take note that if you don't know yet, FFXIII-2's story will be continued in the second sequel, Lightning Returns:FFXIII.

If you are very unsure, you can possibly rent the game or look at playthroughs in youtube :)

If you like FFXIII, you should certainly buy XIII-2! I personally enjoyed both games, but XIII-2 is superior to XIII. The gameplay and battle system are better and I Caius is a far better villain too! ;) The story is a little confusing in places, and less straightforward than the story in XIII (which is one of the major complaints against XIII-2), but I really enjoyed the story nonetheless. :hmmm: The main characters Serah and Noel are absolutely fantastic. Serah transforms in XIII-2 and becomes one of the strongest, most beautiful, selfless and determined FF heroines we've seen to date. :)

I honestly can't give you a reason not to buy XIII-2. :lew: Things change a bit in XIII-2 - don't expect the story to continue in a logical way - but it's still fantastic!

If you even remotely enjoyed XIII then YES you need to get XIII-2. Its way better and made its way to top my 3 Final Fantasy games. The story is Excellent, Graphics are great, The scenery isnt as beautiful in the beginning of the game, but once you progress & get to different areas its becomes amazing. The characters are better developed and they elaborate more on the villains/party members and their back stories. its just an all around great game and i think everyone should at least give it a go. oh yeah & the DLC :)

I agree with everyone in here that if you liked XIII then you should definitely get the game. Coincidentally I saw it today in ASDA for £10 ;) However, just to add my 2c FF XIII and XIII-2 were the only FF games I've ever traded in. Usually I like to keep hold of the games for my 'collection' but these latest two titles left me feeling empty...

I've just finished XIII, and it was if not the then one of the best games I have ever played. I am definitely buying XIII-2 and will try to get it complete before XIV is launched. Thanks for all the posts guys, you really helped me decide whether on not to buy it. :)

Yea pretty much if you somewhat enjoyed the first one get this game. I didnt really like the first one but I really enjoyed XIII-2 i think im the only person who can say its one of my favorite ff games

I agree--if you enjoyed XIII, there's no reason why you shouldn't get XIII-2. I don't always trust reviews, anyway. YOU and only you should decide if a game is good or not! Unless, of course, it's something as bad as E.T. for Atari .... haha, that kinda goes without saying ;)

Should I get it?

So I've mentioned a time or two how much I really hated FFXIII. I recently tried to give it another go and tried to focus on the story given that's pretty much the only thing it ever gets rated for. But I still didn't like it at all. So being that I disliked XIII so much, is there any point in getting the sequel? I've seen nothing so far that makes me think it's much better (though it tends to be rated more highly, I know a lot of people haven't played it). Given that I like the look of Lightning Returns and will likely buy it, should I get XIII-2? I like good stories and found that to be one of the worst failures of XIII. Is this any better than XIII? I've played the demo and can see it's less linear/has npcs but didn't really get much of a feel for the story, the characters - any good?

Ps. I know there's a 'worth getting' thread so if you feel this is too similar feel free to relocate :)

I thought the game was excellent. In a generation where good RPGs are lacking, 13-2 makes a great impression for me. I liked it a lot better than 13, and even though it's not perfect. I rather get Ni No Kuni.

I loathed 13 and i didn't bother with FF13-2 for a very long time because of that but not long ago I found it in the shop for quite cheap so I picked it up and found it was a lot more fun than the first one, I think it's worth a play if you can find it. Granted I have quit playing now because I really can't be fucked doing one part in particular but that's just one part.

*Threads merged*

If you do not like the story in FFXIII, XIII-2's story would most likely be unbearable for you too. It arguably has a worse story, but better gameplay.

LR:FFXIII is apparently designed for both new players and FFXIII/XIII-2 players. So you may not really need to play XIII-2 to understand the background story. Though knowing SE nowadays, the story is probably doomed to be messy again. So it doesn't really matter IMO lol.

However, if you are looking for a decent gameplay experience, then there's almost no harm in picking XIII-2. Just make sure you select normal mode, because easy mode is just too easy.

So I did go ahead and get this game and I am so glad I did. I just finished it and have written my review over on the other thread so I'll keep things short here. Disliking XIII did not stop me from loving XIII-2. It's a great game despite being a sequel to something I don't even consider a FF it's so bad. Anyone who hasn't played XIII, doesn't want to, or have a didn't like it. Try XIII-2 anyway, because it's worth the chance.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm having a blast with XIII-2 despite not being sure if I would get it or not. I thought XIII was great--not the best FF ever, but great--and it ended so nicely I thought perhaps I'd just leave things there. But boy am I ever glad I got the sequel! XIII I enjoyed for the story. If there was any avoidable content, I avoided it. Not so with XIII-2. I've found that I'm actually quite content to explore and complete quests or spend half an hour capturing and leveling the perfect Chocobo for the races. I think the story is quite enjoyable too, but it's not as complex as most FF storylines. For the most part everything gets spelled out by the characters as it happens, without them really appearing to struggle to figure it out or get it wrong from time to time.

I would definitely say get it, whether or not you enjoyed XIII. The gameplay is entirely non-linear and packed with fun stuff and while the storyline may not be the best FF has to offer it is still interesting enough to be worth experiencing.

I'll be honest, I bought this, played it up to the Bresha Ruins then sold it. I fancied giving it a go again so I bought it in Edinburgh with money my dad gave me for my birthday (last September) and it sat on my shelf until the end of last month. I decided to try it again, and I think it really drew me in. It has it's weird bits, and it's pretty lame bits (I'm not keen on Serendipity) but on the whole, I think it's a good story. I haven't completed it yet (although I do know what happens at the end) but I'm on the final level now, I'm just training up a bit and getting some fragments I've missed. I do like the storyline, I think that the characters are pretty good.

I've found it to be the complete opposite of XIII, which I really got into at the beginning, then lost interest and haven't really tried it since. I'll prob try again after I've completed XIII-2, but I don't know how long that'll take me...

From my point of view, this game is worth getting if the following prerequisites/conditions exist or can be achieved:

> if it's at a very bomba price. In other words, cheap as cheap can be. Like a fiver if you're lucky. Seriously, the game was massively overshipped. It should be dirt cheap at the moment. Or if you're like me, have a sibling give it to you for free if your sibling is a very nice person/horrible person, depending on what you think of the FFXIII games in general.

> you enjoyed, or at least can tolerate FFXIII's battle system to put up with it. Again. If you can't, then you should probably exercise the initiative to not buy this game.

> if you just don't care about the story and characters at all. Or at least, are so indifferent towards all that, you just don't care how dumb, illogical and downright atrocious a significant amount of the story, writing and dialogues are. If you're that sort of person, I'm surprised you're even considering FFXIII-2.

> if you're a very tolerable and possibly fun-loving person at heart. And you can manage to enjoy a sequel to a game that was pretty much a sack of apes' dung the first time round.

> you like FFXIII but think Lightning is shit. And you wouldn't mind an unremarkable shounen sort of hero like Noel with a spunky suspiciously-underage-looking-yet-dressed-like-a-bondage-slave-at-an-anime-convention companion heroine as your leads.

> if you enjoy a bit of Pokémon, catching 'em all and training them!

> you like Caius that much that you want to send the message to SE that there needs to be more of his sexy voice tottering round to reign terror on you.

> you genuinely think Toriyama and Watanabe write good plots. Oh dear God...

> you are a Gilgamesh fan and you want the game just for the DLC to fight him.

> you're bored and there's nothing else to play at the moment.

> you, despite your disdain or indifference towards FFXIII, suddenly feel curious for the sequel.

> you just want something to deliberately hate on and bitch about online.

Back