Your First REALLY Big Struggle

Just the usual -- Evrae, Yunalesca, Seymour Flux. I'm not patient enough to delay the game just to level up, so it always takes a toll on me during boss battles.

Dark Aeons though, I was shocked when I first encountered one. I went back to Bikanel to scavenge for stuff I might have missed then a dark monster/demon runs right to the screen. Dark Ifrit killed me in 2 seconds.

On my first run through I was so transfixed on progressing the story I ran from most of the battles and had a limited understanding of how to battle system worked. I remember dying when you fight Kimahri on Besaid as an example of this. Took me AGES to get passed Gui and the less said about Anima the better. I managed to finally beat Braska's Final Aeon, watched the ending and cried for hours. I was 10 or something and hadn't dealt with loss yet. Brutal.

My first run through of FFX, (I was like 9) I remember my first struggle being Evrae, he was so hard i stopped playing for months till I realised i needed higher level black magic. After that it was smooth sailing till Seymour Flux. That was then.

Now it's just the Dark Aeons - i've beaten the first three but i'm gonna have to run around a bit more for Dark Bahamut. No easy cookie.

My first real struggle didn't happen until the first Seymour Battle. It took me 3 tries to beat him, and I did a lot more grinding after that point.

The first big struggle I had was with Evrae the first time on the Airship. I died constantly trying to battle him. Leveling up was something I had to continue to do until I got to or close to Lulu's 3rd level magic's. It was such a struggle. =(.

My first really big struggle was Sinspawn Gui. The first time I played the game I died over an over and over again. I think then it was the bevelle cloister of trials... Or the boss you had to fight when you are on the airship going to rescue yuna from Seymour. Which ever one of those comes first. I had a really hard time with overdrive sin... I thought I would never get past that. And then it was the final boss. It took a lot of leveling up on my sphere grid.

Seems as though the overwhelming answers r evrae, sinspawn gui, and the cloyster of trials. i might just b the only one whose never died on gui lol, ive beat the game 8 times, but never lost to gui. :P

Seymour, MT. Gagazet

I found Evrae, Gui, and Yunalesca to be fun bosses o-o Took some time to beat but still had an interesting time while doing it.

Last edited:
My first struggle was fighting the Sinspawn Gui (I think that's what ut was called) the big fiend with the two claws, just after the Mushroom Rock Road. As a kid I never levelled up properly and kept getting beat -.-

The first time I played I was quite underleveled and I had a lot of difficulty beating the Al Bhed robot guy on the Macalania lake. He killed me quite a few times before I managed to beat him. I think after I kept losing I did some level grinding in the area before you fight him. Then I was fine until Seymour on Mt Gagazet who slaughtered me over and over until i restarted.
Then I restarted and decided that I would be ridiculously overleveled. By the time I left the Mi'hen Highroad I had played the game for 80 hours.

Seymour up there at the mountain gagazet I think? It has been so long since I played this game. I still remember having a big struggle with this guy ever after a replay.

Evrae was my first real struggle. Took me about 3 tries, because his poison and his haste moves took me by surprise, but I was able to do it, with a little help from my older bro :P

I'm sure everybody (or at least most of us) struggled with Seymour on Gagazet. I know I did. He was so unbelievably OP for that point in the game. If you don't know it's coming you can't be prepared. And it's hard to walk up and down that mountain at that point... It almost merits a restart. I even looked up the official strategy guides strategy and you know what it says... "...there's no real strategy".

I echo the sentiments of those stating Seymour at Gagazet. Another one which really gets me is the battle aboard the airship, Evrae Altana.

Surprisingly, after years of getting stuck at the above two bosses, on my latest game it was Spectral Keeper which gave me the most bother. I think I was just very complacent going in, and didn't realise how important it was to be on the right platforms when he attacks.

I think the first time I really struggled in battle was against Evrae. I thought that I'd trained well up to that point, until I actually fought her. She wiped the floor with me well over a dozen times for various reasons. Firstly, her poison attack did a ridiculous amount of damage and I don't remember having Poison Ward or Poisonproof equipped. Secondly, my Wakka and Lulu turned out to be virtually useless and I needed to train them both very hard to be of any use. Also I'm useless at anything that requires any form of timing - so avoiding the Poison Breath attack was difficult for me because I couldn't predict when it was going to happen, so telling Cid to move in time was a problem.

Outside of battle I struggled with the temple puzzles. I distinctly remember Djose Temple's puzzle being a problem. Especially when I realised I needed the Destruction Spheres to get Anima. I do seem to be one of the only people who didn't like her...

Chocobo eater whooped me pretty good a few times.

I think I only lost once to the Chocobo eater.

I struggled to the big thing made out of rocks. Hayemaker or something? Or was that just one of its moves? Took me like 10 times to beat it. Calm lands, I vaguely remember it being near? Been SO long, sorry if im chatting shit.

EDIT: Defender X it's called

The lightning dodging in Thunder Plain in order to get the Sigil for Lulu's Onion Knight. That minigame had truly test my patience and sanity to its limit.

Back