What stops you getting involved in an RP?

Dincht

Black Mage
Veteran
Gil
The title speaks for itself really - What keeps you from getting involved in the RP world?

Over the years I've been part of several communities, as I'm sure you all have, which at times saw the RP section thrive. It wasn't uncommon to see an RP last for over a year. Today, I can't imagine seeing one last longer than 3 months. Experience has led me to the question, what has changed to put people off?

What I don't want is for people to read this and think, "Great, here's another inspirational speech about how I should RP more." That's not what I'm after. One thread from a person you don't know isn't going to suddenly change the state of the RP section. What I want is feedback and input from you guys. The people who once loved nothing more than a good RP to read through and participate in, the people who want to get involved but don't bother because they can see no one else will join in; people like me.

I know there could be plenty of reason's behind this, so why not document them? There could be something that we can change, but we won't know unless we get as much feedback as possible.

Mod's - I couldn't think of a better section to put this, so please feel free to move it if you do. Alternatively, feel free to sticky if you think it's a good enough cause ^_^

I think it mostly have to do with the fact that I'm extremely shy and somewhat socially awkward, and though I used to love RPing, I stopped doing it a long time ago. I felt like I'll have a hard time understanding the story, and I'll eventually get so far behind that I'll eventually fall out.

I also fear that the RP Owner may believe I'm not cut out for RP after reading my posts and just disregard me completely. Pretty much the same reason why I post in the forums is the same reason I usually don't get involved in RPs outside of my own.

Mainly, getting people involved.

It is hard, very hard indeed, to actively get people involved in the plot, and this is made even harder when the RP isn't your own, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on in the grand scheme of things. In my experience, RPs that are not properly planned out die off extremely quickly, and it's hard to co-ordinate these things when the RP isn't your own: what happens if you step on someone else's toes? I'm not the kind of person who can just leave things and wait and see; I want a complex, intricate plot that I can tinker with and develop with others, not to be tossed into a world which, whilst detailed and fun, has no purpose. I can make a plot with someone else, but it won't have any significance in the grand scheme of things.

I prefer to make my own RPs and invite people I know I get along with into them, and then lay it all out with them; we can adapt it as we go. That's my RP style: plan out everything in advance, and then run with it and let the spontaneous changes come afterwards. I find it harder to do this when in other people's RPs, because I always feel like I'm intruding on the creator's plot...or completely taking it over. If I'm snubbed, I feel like my creativity is being restricted, and I lose interest: if I can't develop my character how I choose, then what's the point? If I'm screwing with the way the world is structured, that's all well and good, but if I'm not allowed to do something because it'd make the main plot awkward, or whatever...eh. I only make my own RPs these days, or join ones that I've had a hand in building up.

There is the matter of profile acceptance, as well. If I don't get along with someone, I find it extremely difficult to roleplay with them for some reason, and whilst others might consider accepting profiles that lack what I would consider thought and depth, or are riddled with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, I certainly wouldn't, and I don't enjoy trying to decipher other people's posts. Call my elitist, but there we go: I believe in putting thought into your characters, and in properly structuring your posts so that they flow, are easy to read, and give the reader plenty to interact with, or set the scene. I prefer smaller RPs as well, with people with a similar mindset to my own; we get further and have an easier time of it, and we have more fun with it.

Last edited:
I think it mostly have to do with the fact that I'm extremely shy and somewhat socially awkward, and though I used to love RPing, I stopped doing it a long time ago. I felt like I'll have a hard time understanding the story, and I'll eventually get so far behind that I'll eventually fall out.

I also fear that the RP Owner may believe I'm not cut out for RP after reading my posts and just disregard me completely. Pretty much the same reason why I post in the forums is the same reason I usually don't get involved in RPs outside of my own.

I used to feel the same way, and that's why I started to let people know that I may not be up to their level to begin with. We've all got to start somewhere though, right? For the most part people here are nice, decent people. I don't think they would simply disregard you ^_^

Mainly, getting people involved.

It is hard, very hard indeed, to actively get people involved in the plot, and this is made even harder when the RP isn't your own, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on in the grand scheme of things. In my experience, RPs that are not properly planned out die off extremely quickly, and it's hard to co-ordinate these things when the RP isn't your own: what happens if you step on someone else's toes? I'm not the kind of person who can just leave things and wait and see; I want a complex, intricate plot that I can tinker with and develop with others, not to be tossed into a world which, whilst detailed and fun, has no purpose. I can make a plot with someone else, but it won't have any significance in the grand scheme of things.

I prefer to make my own RPs and invite people I know I get along with into them, and then lay it all out with them; we can adapt it as we go. That's my RP style: plan out everything in advance, and then run with it and let the spontaneous changes come afterwards. I find it harder to do this when in other people's RPs, because I always feel like I'm intruding on the creator's plot...or completely taking it over. If I'm snubbed, I feel like my creativity is being restricted, and I lose interest: if I can't develop my character how I choose, then what's the point? If I'm screwing with the way the world is structured, that's all well and good, but if I'm not allowed to do something because it'd make the main plot awkward, or whatever...eh. I only make my own RPs these days, or join ones that I've had a hand in building up.

There is the matter of profile acceptance, as well. If I don't get along with someone, I find it extremely difficult to roleplay with them for some reason, and whilst others might consider accepting profiles that lack what I would consider thought and depth, or are riddled with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, I certainly wouldn't, and I don't enjoy trying to decipher other people's posts. Call my elitist, but there we go: I believe in putting thought into your characters, and in properly structuring your posts so that they flow, are easy to read, and give the reader plenty to interact with. I prefer smaller RPs as well, with people with a similar mindset to my own; we get further and have an easier time of it, and we have more fun with it.

What you're saying makes complete sense. Some people don't like to make post after post, waiting for something else to happen plot-wise. That's why, in my opinion, the Sign up/Discussion threads are actually quite important. Especially from the point of view of the creator. I think the problem we have made for ourselves is countless flash in the pan RP's that hold no water and are very weak. They have little/no planning or structure and inevitably fizzle out.

Personally I believe that the intentions of the RP should be made clear from the very beginning, and that includes: plot, activity, post quality etc... This allows people that know they are weak grammatically, or perhaps creatively, to save the their time and others.

Going back to my previous point of too many RP's, I wonder if there is the possibility of submitting an RP for approval before it's actually able to go live, so to speak. This would certainly filter out the waste's of time and just leave the top quality RP's. Perhaps that's a big ask, but it's just a thought.

I don't think having an RP approval system would really be fair, to be honest. And really, to know whether an RP would generate interest or not, you would have to ask everyone who is actively involved, or wants to be involved in the RP section whether they would take part in it or not. I think FFF should go back to having a sub-forum for sign ups and discussion, and then to not allow people to go posting their actual RP thread until enough interest has been generated for it. (Ideally three or more members.)

I haven't RP'd in a few years now, but I really want to get back into the swing of it. However, upon returning here I find that the only active RPs are already pages long, and I find it really hard to get into something that's already in full swing. I'm considering starting my own, but at the moment I have a lack of ideas. Though I have hopped on board Ahri's RP. It definitely seems very interesting, and I'm looking forwards to it getting started.

But yeah, I sometimes find it rather intimidating trying to get in on a long-time active RP board. If I had more time on my hands, I probably would read up on the active ones that interest me and try and get in on it myself, mind. There's never a specific type of RP I prefer. Provided it has an interesting story, opportunities to develop my character they way I would like as long as it fits in with the lore of their world or whatever. I don't like things being too linear, as I like my freedom with these things. RPs that I start, I tend to let those taking part have their share of input, as that's what I like when joining RPs.

I really feel the same way, myeslf. I actually would be interested in RPing here (and honestly just really never looked closely enough to see it on here really). I'm pretty newby at it, but always have wanted to try it. I guess that's kinda why I haven't jumped in I guess. I don't really know people well here yet and don't know how people will react to how little I've done it.

I'm not shy around RPs. I'm a member of several gaming forums and tend to try to promote them though once has failed horribly (Halo) and yet, it seems difficult to ever make mine successful for a long period. It seems that the wrong people are always interested, so I tend to join and rarely make them. My great ideas are all jolted into my current novels, and I suppose my minds just full of them unfortunately; as RPs offer such a great chance.

By the sounds of things we're more or less on the same boat. Why don't we all band together and get something started?

The process of getting a role-play is often the most time-consuming and risky part. During the period of creating the character according to a massive template and waiting on staff to pick through the character to see what they think works and doesn't work, it's easy to be intimidated and outright lose interest. This is especially true for new players who want to see what all the fuss is about.

I'll be honest, I was around back when Hera Ledro first made the current template. This was made in an age where the staff were tasked with separating the one-liner posters from the real writers. As such, there were a lot of silly requirements that were pasted up in hopes of seeing what the potential RPer was made of.

The solution to the template is to simplify it. A good chunk of the template can easily be taken out due to how much those particular stats fluctuate depending on circumstance. Some of the other sections (First Impression, Personality, Favorites, Fears. Etc.) can just as easily be acted out in the role-play when the time comes for it.

My boyfriend and I have stitched this together for our own forum, but you are free to use it:

Name:
Race: If non-human, the details can be kept in spoiler tags.
Appearance;
- Hair
:
- Eyes:
- Height/Weight:
- Skin:
- Build:
- Attire:
- Noteworthy Features:
- Photograph: Optional, but not a substitute for Appearance!

Weapon(s): If applicable.
Armor: If applicable.

Magic: If applicable.
- Spell:
-- Drawback:

Abilities/Skills:

History: This can be kept in Spoiler Tags.

This is all you would really need. This is enough information for other writers and readers to be able to visualize the character and the most important information is there in plain sight. Artists who wish to draw the character can use this written description to bring the character to life. As for why some sections can be kept in spoiler tags, it is simply because of this:

If you encounter someone for the first time, they are not going to know about your personal history. They won't know what your favorite food is, they won't know how many pets you've had in the past, they won't know what school you went to. The only clues they have to knowing you is what you show for it.

Now the bit about staff approval. In my opinion, the only person who should have a say in what character is allowed in a role-play is the Game Master. The leader of the RP. It makes far more sense for someone who is running the story to approve or disapprove of specific characters. Having the staff go through and approve new profiles simply adds an extra step that is already repeated by the GM.

Should there be staff in the RP section? Of course. Not everyone abides to rules or the storyline. When things get out of hand to the point of disrupting the RP more than helping it push forward, the mods can help bring order to chaos.

That's my two cents on the matter.

I often don't discriminate too harshly about plot or world, instead I look at the characters. If I see that accepted bios consist of people posting one word personalities and 2 sentence histories, I know to stay away from them. I also look for the general power restrictions, as I've known some people to make their characters hax worthy of power. The characters and roleplayers must know and have their limitations, otherwise it's just ridiculous.

Back