Anime Favourite Female Character?

Catnip

Auto-Haste
Veteran
Gil
Here's the challenge though: pick just one.

Honestly, out of all the animes I've watched with all of the female characters, I'm going to have to go with Sango, from InuYasha. She's a pretty big deal to me. I like how she portrays 'badass' and owns it in a way that only she can do. She's completely someone I could respect, takes things seriously enough - but not too serious to where it's melodramatic or self-entitled, the strength of her will is insane (she'll continue to try to fuck you up no matter how bloody and broken she gets during a fight. Not to mention her will to keep going even after she watched her entire family get slaughtered) and while she has every right to have hatred fill her heart, she instead loves with everything she has. Even getting her revenge has love tied to it.

I'm tired as shit right now so I didn't even get to scratch the surface of her amazing character, but that'll do for now, pig.

tumblr_lu0d3bEv5u1qzmqllo1_500.gif

Just one, hmmm :hmmm:

tumblr_lqu28y3uEv1r24ymjo1_1280.jpg

I think I'm going to have to settle on Kurokawa Ellen/Seiren/Cure Beat, from Suite Precure. She is easily the most well-developed magical girl I've seen in an anime to date; she puts all others - except maybe Ahiru, although I wouldn't like to call it; part of the reason I chose Ellen was because my mind went straight to her and not Ahiru - to shame. Whilst I loved the dynamics between Hibiki and Kanade (probably a little too much; I ship them something awful) and I think of all of them Ako had the most to fight for, Ellen was the one that struck me the most, because she had such a good story.

She had her world shattered when her closest friend (that'd be Hummy, the cat in her arms) got chosen to do a job that was essentially her entire identity, got mind-raped by Mephisto when she started to doubt her conviction in plunging the world into misery because Hummy still considered her a friend, got her world thrown upside down again when she turned into a Pretty Cure in the middle of a battle and found that she couldn't change back into a cat - which, I believe, is her natural form, although the anime was never clear on that - and then she had to struggle to come to terms with the fact that she couldn't change back, and that she honestly didn't want to do what she had set out to do anymore. Ellen I liked a lot, because her transition from good to bad to good again was well thought-out, wasn't rushed - she didn't spend too many episodes dwelling over her past, but she DID take some time to adjust and become part of the group, which was nice; she never forgot what she did, but she didn't let it stop her from being the best she could be - and it was actually quite emotional and, for a Pretty Cure storyline, not painfully cheesy.

Plus...her design. Oh god, I LOVE her design. Her lack of cat ears and tail is a relief - after all, she's technically a cat girl - but her eyes complement her outfit wonderfully. She also had the most showy attacks - I love Heartful Beat Lock - and she was just so much more...dynamic. Her catchphrase suited her character, and she kicked some serious arse; maybe not as much as Cure Muse when she was in her black costume, but she was still pretty much a one-Cure army. I also adore her voice actress...I'm not sure why, she just really breathed some life into the character. She sounded distinctly different between her evil human, cat, good human and Cure forms, and considering the others sounded pretty much identical to their normal selves in their Cure forms...it was a nice change. Plus the fansubbers either had too much with her lines, or she really is awesome enough to actually troll the villains.

Cool. I've never heard of it (though the title does ring a bell), but I want to give it a shot now. Sounds interesting. I'm not really into the Magical Girl genre, but I'd give this a shot. So I will. I love anything with a sweet ass female. Shit's rare.

Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket.

tumblr_m8q4j3f82G1qamhyd.jpg

:hmmm: I'm not into Anime really but I love Tohru so much, fruits basket is one of the only Anime's I can stand to watch (or read)
Tohru is just a genuinely sweet character, sometimes overly nice characters are just fucking annoying but I think they did her character really well. She's also really stupid and funny and she is very giving and selfless, I dunno I really, really just like her character a lot, sometimes I kinda wish I was more like her.

Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket.

tumblr_m8q4j3f82G1qamhyd.jpg

:hmmm: I'm not into Anime really but I love Tohru so much, fruits basket is one of the only Anime's I can stand to watch (or read)
Tohru is just a genuinely sweet character, sometimes overly nice characters are just fucking annoying but I think they did her character really well. She's also really stupid and funny and she is very giving and selfless, I dunno I really, really just like her character a lot, sometimes I kinda wish I was more like her.

What makes her different from any other character that fits those traits? I'm intrigued.

:hmmm: I think it's the fact that she's not too over the top, she's been through a lot of crap, losing her mum, her home and just feeling like she's let everyone around her down (Not spoilers because it's literally the first thing they mention in the anime) and the fact that she always puts others before herself even thoughs she's had all this bad stuff happen makes me really look up to her. When she's sick she's still trying to help others, she gets picked on a lot, people call her a slut and stuff because these guys adopt her into their home but she keeps smiling and stuff even though she's so troubled on the inside.

I just feel like she's a really beautiful character :hmmm:

I admit I haven't watched a varied amount of anime, (I usually pick one and watch only that till the end) but, limited experience aside, Misa Amane from Death Note stands out.

:toldies:
Misa.jpg

She is so infatuated with Light Yagami that it borders on obsession, and you just know her love will never be returned, cuz Light is such a self-centered guy, who wouldn't have given her a second glance were it not for the clever way she pushed herself into his life.
And then of course there's the thing where she gave up half her remaining life span to get the Shinigami eyes for Light
TWICE!!!
Which further shows her sincere desire to save Light and Kira's agenda. Pretty dedicated, eh?

I admit I haven't watched a varied amount of anime, (I usually pick one and watch only that till the end) but, limited experience aside, Misa Amane from Death Note stands out.

Misa.jpg

She is so infatuated with Light Yagami that it borders on obsession, and you just know her love will never be returned, cuz Light is such a self-centered guy, who wouldn't have given her a second glance were it not for the clever way she pushed herself into his life.
And then of course there's the thing where she gave up half her remaining life span to get the Shinigami eyes for Light
TWICE!!!
Which further shows her sincere desire to save Light and Kira's agenda. Pretty dedicated, eh?

I'm going to be honest with you, Misa is the last character I'd expect to see in this thread, lack of experience or not. This is kind of hilarious.

I don't know. To each their own. But I think she's such a badly written female character. Totally unrealistic.

@Squid

I find it funny that the same reasons you love Tohru Honda are the same reasons I hate her :lew:

My favorite female character? Honestly, this one was a tough choice, since I had about 3 or 4 in mind.
But I guess I can safely say this one is my favorite:
image.jpg
(Pardon the small image, you may need to click on it. I'm working from my iPad.)

I may get a lot of shit for this, but I loved Yuffie since I encountered her in FF7. I feel like if they placed a bit more emphasis on her character, then she would have a lot more personality. I will admit, the Wutai sidequest was a pain in the ass, but it did reveal a bit of story for Yuffie AND for other characters.

Another reason I love her, and this is one of the reasons why so many people hate her, is her arrogance. She's young, she's excitable, she fits the characteristics that a typical 16 year old more than likely would have. I guess you can say she reminds me of me, minus the part where she's a thief, since she's overexcitable. She's energetic. She's lively. She seems to be happy all the time. She rarely takes things seriously. She has family issues and feels that she should go against customs and be happy (you see what I mean if you get her final Limit Break), she feels she needs to impress her family, just like me. Just about everything about her kind of reminds me of how I am in real life, so I guess that's my number one reason why I love her; I can relate myself to her, minus the ninja part.

Overall, I just believe that had they given her just a pinch more backstory and personality, I saw her potential to be an amazing character.

I could be wrong, however.

You wanna get a little into detail about Revy from Black Lagoon? So far I'm not convinced of your statement.

she drinks , smokes and can handle a gun and isn'nt a whiny helpless over the top pain in the ass that's always in trouble its refreshing to have that in a female character plus denim hotpants are always hot

she drinks , smokes and can handle a gun and isn'nt a whiny helpless over the top pain in the ass that's always in trouble its refreshing to have that in a female character plus denim hotpants are always hot

That sounds pretty lame, in my opinion. Men drink, smoke and can handle guns all the time in anime. I think what makes a great female character is if she's able to be badass and rock her femininity at the same time. That could just be me though.

That sounds pretty lame, in my opinion. Men drink, smoke and can handle guns all the time in anime. I think what makes a great female character is if she's able to be badass and rock her femininity at the same time. That could just be me though.

i guess its each to their own but thats what i think makes her badass the fact she can do that and still pull of being a female . and its always good to have a main female charchter that doesnt fall into the tsundre or moe category

Also to add to mine, she's also partially a bit of a "use your imagination" character, meaning that if you use what little evidence of her personality and story that they provide to you, you can practically mold her to your preferences. As I said, I could be wrong.

Also to add to mine, she's also partially a bit of a "use your imagination" character, meaning that if you use what little evidence of her personality and story that they provide to you, you can practically mold her to your preferences. As I said, I could be wrong.

That's awesome, I love that. Even if it isn't intentional, I have fun with utilizing my creativity to make up some sort of head canon. I do that with Yuna as well, from FFX-2. Mostly to justify the shit lol but still.

That's awesome, I love that. Even if it isn't intentional, I have fun with utilizing my creativity to make up some sort of head canon. I do that with Yuna as well, from FFX-2. Mostly to justify the shit lol but still.
Lol, yeah. I've always enjoyed playing games and watching animes that contain characters that rely heavily on "headcanons", where their personality can technically be whatever you make of it if given the proper evidence.

Lol, yeah. I've always enjoyed playing games and watching animes that contain characters that rely heavily on "headcanons", where their personality can technically be whatever you make of it if given the proper evidence.

Yesss, absolutely. I do this with Lady GaGa all the time.

I suppose you could say that and I'm not miffed at all that you made fun of my choice! But it was her or Chi Chi from DragonBall Z and I ain't exactly a fan of the aggressive mothering type - have one myself - they are not fun :confused:

my vote would have to go to ami from sailor moon

AmyMizuno01.jpg

I like her personally, the calm one that thinks before she acts, but when one of her friends or a boy she likes is in trouble, logical thinking goes out the window, i'm not into the anime characters that are crazy and argue etc, i prefer more 'realistic' characters in anime, and Ami is defo one of the more 'realistic' female anime characters that I have seen in a anime.

Back