FFXIII-2 Why did Squeenix come up with a sequel the same idea as X-2 when X-2 failed and is now the FF joke?

Catnip

Auto-Haste
Veteran
Gil
In X-2, a half-naked girl lost someone, and her goal was to find him. She later had to deal with people from the past that are somehow connected to her, as a story filler.

In XIII, a half-naked girl lost someone, and her goal was to find her. She later had to deal with people from the past and the future that are connected to the present, as a game/story filler.

Because they're idiots and want to make as much money as possible while they take 100 years to work on better games that people actually want.

Sad thing is I recently wasted money on buying XIII-2 because i wanted to see just how shit it was, even though I loathed XIII. Still haven't touched it yet though.

Yeah, I got it for free at the library and didn't get past the first time you play Serah. It's just so stupid and showy in a cheesy way. I don't think I have it in me to give it a chance. I'd rather spend time whining about it on the internet than actually playing it.

Nostalgic goggle wearing fans cried about FF13 so they made 13-2 to cater to the crybabies.

Didn't they already plan FFXIII-2 though?

They said that they had all this left over information and data that would be big enough to make a sequel. Which is BS of course because like you said FF XIII-2 is just a huge copy and paste of Final Fantasy X-2 with Pokemon added in for a battle system.
We're only a missing a DLC of Serah giving Caius a sexy, provoking massage that makes him cry out sex sounds. Actually I wouldn't mind that...:megusta:

Nostalgic goggle wearing fans cried about FF13 so they made 13-2 to cater to the crybabies.

Yeeeah because Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VI and Final Fanatsy IV are SOOOOOOOOOOO much worse than Final Fantasy XIII...:ahmed:

They said that they had all this left over information and data that would be big enough to make a sequel. Which is BS of course because like you said FF XIII-2 is just a huge copy and paste of Final Fantasy X-2 with Pokemon added in for a battle system.
We're only a missing a DLC of Serah giving Caius a sexy, provoking massage that makes him cry out sex sounds. Actually I wouldn't mind that...:megusta:

God, I'm so glad I didn't give this game a try. I feel like I already know how time-wasting it is. Even the people who said it's fun and good tell me about the lamest shit that they enjoyed in it. Fuck it

God, I'm so glad I didn't give this game a try. I feel like I already know how time-wasting it is. Even the people who said it's fun and good tell me about the lamest shit that they enjoyed in it. Fuck it

No No wait. Wait till the ending it gets better I swear... :trollface:

No No wait. Wait till the ending it gets better I swear... :trollface:

I totally spoiled the ending for me before I rented the stupid game. Watched it on Youtube, had a good laugh, remembered that my brother actually played the entire game just to get this ending, laughed harder. That about sums up my experience.

You'd think that Square Enix would learn from their mistakes, really. JRPGs are, and always have been, self-contained storylines that do not require a sequel. The general consensus is that FFX-2 failed, although I personally think it was better than FFX. It was a lighthearted spinoff whose sole connection to FFX were the characters, and was basically designed to be a "this is what they got up to after they saved the world" kind of scenario, an indirect sequel, one you could play or choose to ignore. It wasn't supposed to be taken seriously; that much was obvious from its premise. But it was still fun enough, and it didn't really interfere with FFX's story: you gained or lost nothing by playing it.

FFXIII-2, on the other hand, is the worst kind of sequel for a JRPG: it's supposed to expand upon the FFXIII mythology and story, but it just makes it all the more confusing and painfully boring. FFXIII ended. A "this is what they got up to after they saved the world" scenario might have been less painful, but this was a "The story isn't over yet! This is what happens next" kind of game; a direct sequel, and there was not only no justification for such a sequel - I don't think ever FFXIII fans would argue with me that the game had a definitive conclusion; good or bad is irrelevant for the moment, the point is that it ended - but for a game that was supposed to be a direct sequel, the only thing it shared was the characters. It made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. It was flawed, unnecessary, and ruined the "happy" ending the original game had.

You cannot argue that of FFX-2. X-2 picked up where X had left off, and you could ignore it if you wished to: it was like an additional scenario, an afterthought. FFXIII-2, by implication, was something you weren't supposed to ignore: there was more to the "story" and what you saw in FFXIII was just the start of it, when before that FFXIII, for all its flaws, was a complete story by itself. XIII-2 took away the only thing XIII had going for it: it had a proper ending. XIII-2 made XIII worse, and it added nothing of value to the story that it claimed wasn't over yet, only making it more of a complete fucking train wreck. It was a bad idea. It was a bad game. It was just bad.

It's obvious why Square Enix came up with it, though: milking the franchise. Going with the current Western trend of adding sequels to games that sell well - note I say "sell well" and not "successful" because success, to me, is making a good game, not generating sales; that's the media and business definition, not the gamer's definition - to get as much money as possible out of it, and damn how utterly bullshit it is. They don't give a damn about what they've done; all they care about is making profit. Which, I suppose, is the right attitude to take when you're in business, but they could at LEAST show a little consideration and DESERVE the money they make by making something that ISN'T the biggest pile of crap in the entire history of video gaming. Just saying.

Great reply. Basically, the answer to any questions regarding Squeenix's lazy mess of fuck ups is that they abandoned all dignity for the sake of a dollar. I can't respect that. It's actually pretty embarrassing for me to admit I love and play Final Fantasy. Not because it's "nerdy", but because of what they've done.

Yeeeah because Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy VI and Final Fanatsy IV are SOOOOOOOOOOO much worse than Final Fantasy XIII...:ahmed:

And what does those games have to do with anything? nothing. They're all linear too so that lumps them all together.

And what does those games have to do with anything? nothing. They're all linear too so that lumps them all together.

:ffs:

How is going to Lindblum to Gizamaster Luke's Grotto to Cleyra back to Alexandria which occurred at the beginning of the game BACK to Lindblum
then traveling to the other world back near the Grotto linear ?

Linear is Alexandria- Lindblum- Outer World and never going back to Alexandria or Lindblum. Did you play FF-IX or ?
:toni:
Plus you said that " FF13 haters " are just all a bunch of nostalgic goggle wearing babies. I'm proving to you
that FF13 is dog poop compared to the SNES and PSONE games and it's not just because we're "whiners that are stuck in the past ".

You have similar staff members like Toriyama and Kitase who have worked on both sequel games, so I wasn't really surprised that they started reusing some similar ideas. You know when Serah's clothes magically change as though there was a Dressphere next to her bed? Yeah, that was bizarre. Was I supposed to take that seriously? With FFX-2 however, although its numbers were considerably lower than the other main numbered games, it still managed relatively decent numbers for what it was and it eventually got a re-release with the Platinum label. FFXIII-2 on the other hand, has yet to even manage that, which suggests that a large percentage (read:most) of the people who bought FFXIII didn't bother with the sequel (and I'm one of them).

EDIT: Actually, I totally forgot that FFXIII-2 only came out at the start of this year. I thought it was the year before that or something, considering how quickly they got to revealing the third game already. In that case, seeing as FFX-2 took up to a year until it got its Platinum label, FFXIII-2 still has time to have a stab at it.

But, I wouldn't be too quick as to say both have failed. They've achieved what I suspect to have been the crafty, ultimate plan. Reuse assets for a new game, drastically cut down on production costs and team numbers normally required to make something on the scale of FFXII and FFXIII and release it for a tidy profit. With Square-Enix barely able to get any big console game out nowadays and with everyone on full steam and pumping all the money they can to salvage FFXIV, churning out sequels is a logical short-term money solution. In the long-term? Churn out two sequels to a game that was so divisive and widely disliked, while not providing a large chunk of the fanbase with any hope as to the situations of Versus, Type-0 and FFX HD? You're delivering a huge blow to fans' trust in you.

I do also wonder why people are more quick to blame the FFXIII trilogy for holding up the other games when it's more likely that having reassigned entire teams to the 300-odd strong workforce of FFXIV 2.0 revive the sinking ship has been, and is, THE main priority.

Ah, a troll post. There had to be one. Yup, everyone who had problems with FFXIII were just pining for the good old days of FFVII. I mean, why should we bother with the prospect that they had legitimate complaints about the game? No, turns out they were just boo-hooing in droves like confused, juvenile children. And even if so, I don't see a genuine FFXII sequel pop up anywhere, seeing as though that game is also one of the fanbase's favourite whipping boys...

Last edited:
I love FFX-2 because of its gameplay wich its super, is like a sexy version of FF5 Job system wich works for me, and Vegnagun is pretty awesome.

:ffs:

How is going to Lindblum to Gizamaster Luke's Grotto to Cleyra back to Alexandria which occurred at the beginning of the game BACK to Lindblum
then traveling to the other world back near the Grotto linear ?

Linear is Alexandria- Lindblum- Outer World and never going back to Alexandria or Lindblum. Did you play FF-IX or ?
:toni:
Plus you said that " FF13 haters " are just all a bunch of nostalgic goggle wearing babies. I'm proving to you
that FF13 is dog poop compared to the SNES and PSONE games and it's not just because we're "whiners that are stuck in the past ".

:gasp:Didn't know I could do all that on Disc 1. Didn't know I could just grab an airship and go straight to Terra or Treno.

You didn't prove nothing to me.

I was going to give you a stupid answer when you asked a dumb question but I won't because Mods or someone else might claim its trollin.

Ah, a troll post. There had to be one. Yup, everyone who had problems with FFXIII were just pining for the good old days of FFVII. I mean, why should we bother with the prospect that they had legitimate complaints about the game? No, turns out they were just boo-hooing in droves like confused, juvenile children. And even if so, I don't see a genuine FFXII sequel pop up anywhere, seeing as though that game is also one of the fanbase's favourite whipping boys...

So its a troll post because its my opinion? ok great Name a legitimate complaint and I bet that they can be found in the other games.

:gasp:Didn't know I could do all that on Disc 1. Didn't know I could just grab an airship and go straight to Terra or Treno.

You didn't prove nothing to me.

I was going to give you a stupid answer when you asked a dumb question but I won't because Mods or someone else might claim its trollin.

So its a troll post because its my opinion? ok great Name a legitimate complaint and I bet that they can be found in the other games.

Oh my dear I hope you aren't misunderstanding some things.

For one, disk 1 was never mentioned in that post and I believe that member gave a pretty good description as to what a fully linear game is as opposed to one that's not so linear. XIII had a story and gameplay that was strictly linear so players could only keep moving forward and not back. The only exception to this is the conveniently placed portals at the end of the game. Final Fantasy games are known to have linear stories, but those stories tend to go hand in hand with open world exploration in gameplay. Final Fantasy is about adventure, and what's adventure if you don't get to travel. Using the earlier FF games as an example most fans of the games always went through the ritual of gaining access to some sort of vehicle which in turn would grant them more access to the game's world. Eventually the player would be given some sort of ship which would allow them to move freely back and forth throughout spaces as they pleased and could often revisit places to achieve hidden goodies and the like. Hopefully this helps you see clearly why fans were frustrated at this gameplay aspect.

I'm sorry other members saw your post as a troll post. It was probably due to the fact that calling a group of people "crybabies" because of their opinion seems extremely childish. It's unfair to be surprised at their assumption because your opinion involves the name calling of another's opinion.

As for naming legitimate complaints that "can be found in other games" lets restrict that search to numbered final fantasy games only. If we do this, we're including the bulk of the FF fanbase not some other western rpg. I'll leave it to the rest of the forum to give you legitimate reasons. I'd try myself but just talking about the XIII series gets me so frustrated!

Now onto the topic of the OP. SE is clearly trying to get some money. I don't know how much they pay their employees to make them so desperate to just slap an FF title on whatever leftover materials they have lying around but it's getting pretty ridiculous. The next SE title could seriously make or break the series entirely. :hmmm: When FFX-2 came out I was impressed. It existed merely as a fun sort of game and not some serious dramatic sequel. It has similarities with XIII-2 but it's execution isn't nearly as bad as that game. I never played XIII-2 all the way through but from what I've seen through walk-through videos, not only has this game completely destroyed what decent story XIII already had, it threw in random things that made no sense, many plot holes which result from the time travel concept, and it's ending is one of the most obvious, money grubbing, DLC schemes I've ever witnessed. X-2 didn't do much damage to the story at all. I believe X-2 had the better execution of the half naked chick going to find someone they loved.

Last edited:
A -2 idea isnt bad. Its just how they handled it. X-2 had potential but was far too light hearted and gave an ending that we really already saw. So it ended the same as the original practically. I can forgive it if the game wasnt a sequel to another game and was more of a stand alone

As for Xiii-2 they basically used content they couldnt put in the original however the story was mediocore. Amd multiple endings was dummb. Amd rhe game made sure to make fun of itself.

Back