FFXIII-2 Why did Squeenix come up with a sequel the same idea as X-2 when X-2 failed and is now the FF joke?

Didn't know I could do all that on Disc 1. Didn't know I could just grab an airship and go straight to Terra or Treno.

You didn't prove nothing to me.

I didn't say anything about being able to control a airship in CD 1. Do you read what people are saying here at all ? I said that the game takes you to Alexandria- Ice Cavern- Dali- Lindblum- Burmecia- Cleyra- BACK to Alexandria- BACK to Lindblum.

How is that linear ? Do you even know what linear means ? Linear is like line, like a ruler. Linear would be the game telling you to only go forward and not take you to places that you're been to before. Say goodbye to Alexandria; because that would be it.

Nothing to do with airship control. Controlling the airship is just giving the player freedom to explore nothing about being linear. It does add some less linearity to the game but full linearity is whether the game takes you forward and just keep on taking you forward or whether the game takes you back to places that your been to before. Example FF VIII you start out in Balamb and then at CD2 you go back there. Meaning that FF VIII and FF IX are not linear.

So its a troll post because its my opinion?

Lets piss of the gamers that enjoy the older games ? That's a Troll post. Even if it was a opinion; the way you wrote it and how you assumed that all FF13 haters are all whiny babies is going to tick somebody off, opinion or no opinion. If I said " all FF13 fans are stupid and have a low IQ " it would be the same thing. And it's a stupid opinion BTW." Let's assume that all FF13 haters suck and fail because they don't like something that I enjoy ". Wow.. okay..
:ffs:

I was going to give you a stupid answer when you asked a dumb question but I won't because Mods or someone else might claim its trollin.

Mr or Miss you have already given me tons of stupid answers. You didn't have to do a thing.
:ryan:

I love older games like the SNES, NES, PSONE, and even the Atari and DOS. If you think that those who prefer the older games or like the older games are stupid then your opinion is stupid. People have a right to prefer and enjoy the older games. I like FF3 NES over the FF3 DS. If preferring the original over the DS remake makes me a whiny baby
then baby me up. Because the NES version despite the graphics is ten times more fun.:grin:

In fact FF3, FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10. All baby me up please. :mokken:

Wow wow calm down everyone. This is going off-topic too. Anymore off-topic posts will be deleted.

Don't they have some sort of connection to their fans or

SE don't have any sort of connection towards their fans ever. Maybe the newer gen because they're buying their games and DLC; but the older fans ? Nah they don't exist. Otherwise FF6 & FF5 would be out on the 3DS, FF VII remake PS3, Versus would be out and instead of making FF 13 games they would of focused on making FF15 closer to the original Final Fantasy format.

They even treat their KH and The World Ends With You fans like poop. Chrono fans too. Chrono fans have been begging SE for a remake for ages.

SE = Assbutts.

Remind me why we support them and buy their games again ? :jtc:

It's very simple why there was a XIII-2, really. XIII was all around a bold move for SE. It was their first FF game for the PS3, requiring all new assets and code and whatnot, and while caught up in making changes they also changed a few series staples around. They were banking a lot on FFXIII, and while it wasn't guaranteed to succeed, they were putting everything they could behind a solid cast (especially behind Lightning) and attractive new world. And...it worked. 10 million copies within a couple years is incredible, yet XIII sales have reached that figure.

So...put yourself in their shoes for a bit. What seems like the better choice? Completely ditch all of this work and once again brave the challenge of all new assets even though the platform will be more familiar now, hoping that it will work out as well as before, or instead continue what has been proven to be successful and what would not requireas many new assets? From a fan standpoint, I know it's obvious which we want SE to go with, but from a business standpoint, the better move is rather obvious.

Besides, it's not like XIII is here forever. After LR:FFXIII, SE will either finish up Versus or move on to something else. Some other ventures by SE and certain members of the FF dev team have proven that they still know how to make a great game following other characters, worlds, storylines, and combat systems. Just check out the Chaos Rings series for mobile devices. I kind of get the feeling SE is experimenting now; they're sending out feelers in multiple directions to try and make something bold and new again, but in the meanwhile go with what's safe, and what's safe is more FFXIII.

SE don't have any sort of connection towards their fans ever. Maybe the newer gen because they're buying their games and DLC; but the older fans ? Nah they don't exist. Otherwise FF6 & FF5 would be out on the 3DS, FF VII remake PS3, Versus would be out and instead of making FF 13 games they would of focused on making FF15 closer to the original Final Fantasy format.

They even treat their KH and The World Ends With You fans like poop. Chrono fans too. Chrono fans have been begging SE for a remake for ages.

SE = Assbutts.

Remind me why we support them and buy their games again ? :jtc:

No shit, they sound like a bunch of pricks.

It's very simple why there was a XIII-2, really. XIII was all around a bold move for SE. It was their first FF game for the PS3, requiring all new assets and code and whatnot, and while caught up in making changes they also changed a few series staples around. They were banking a lot on FFXIII, and while it wasn't guaranteed to succeed, they were putting everything they could behind a solid cast (especially behind Lightning) and attractive new world. And...it worked. 10 million copies within a couple years is incredible, yet XIII sales have reached that figure.
they focused too much on style, not on substance. the world was just an acid trip when you try to define it. Lightning wasn't that great either. plus sales usually don't matter, even from a bussiness stand point, they have to look at other variables. Such as how much they're making after the first few weeks, and of course reviews. In which case toriyama ignored the western reviews for some of the negative

So...put yourself in their shoes for a bit. What seems like the better choice? Completely ditch all of this work and once again brave the challenge of all new assets even though the platform will be more familiar now, hoping that it will work out as well as before, or instead continue what has been proven to be successful and what would not requireas many new assets? From a fan standpoint, I know it's obvious which we want SE to go with, but from a business standpoint, the better move is rather obvious.
that's the thing, they don't have to ditch what they made. Granted that many were getting impatient over XIII's release, but they could've waited it out and develop it further or made it multi-disc. they had so much content that they could've added but decided this was enough and it wasn't. they focused too hard on the graphics it took too much.

you don't have to make a sequel to use the content of previous games. And no, who said it was that successfull? the gameplay was one of the biggest let downs compared to all other final fantasy games. Because it limits you to controlling the party from third party AND all attacks were the same, you literally were able to kill them with X and then switch to R when you're low on health. but thats it. same attacks, same strategy. the so-called "fast-paced gameplay" was just slow ATB reloads with controling the group's strategy instead of using tactics. So the gameplay was incredibly limiting even if one enjoyed controlling the cast like that.

Besides, it's not like XIII is here forever. After LR:FFXIII, SE will either finish up Versus or move on to something else. Some other ventures by SE and certain members of the FF dev team have proven that they still know how to make a great game following other characters, worlds, storylines, and combat systems. Just check out the Chaos Rings series for mobile devices. I kind of get the feeling SE is experimenting now; they're sending out feelers in multiple directions to try and make something bold and new again, but in the meanwhile go with what's safe, and what's safe is more FFXIII.

XIII has never been safe. they "Lost" money due to XIII-2. and yet, they still claim that XIII-2 (and duex EX Human Revolution) was what brought it back to profit. but then blame the lack of console purchases when they lose profit. The problem with FF dev team is choosing what to focus on. They've always made mistakes in the past, however, none of them have been pushed to the edge up until now.

Going with whats safe? they're being daring and ignorant. reusing a game that was heavily limiting and criticized? they could've focused on Versus and been more successfull?

They're lazy sellouts. I'm not even sure what their focus is really on anymore to tell you the truth. Are the passionate about any of it anymore?

I think they did a good job with the 13 series actually. I did have the same fears of 13-2 due to how X-2 ruined X for me but FF13-2 is a great game. I've been an old school type of FF, started off with 4 during my childhood and it's due to the final fantasy and capcom games that i chose a career in the multimedia industry.

I know most can't appreciate new things which is why we have a handful of guys hating on how "IT ISN'T FF ANYMORE BECAUSE OF THIS NOT BE LIKE THIS...". Those lines and people have always came in every new FF even during the time FF7 just came out. "This isn't how FF was.... bad game". Oddly, this is the same type of rants EVERY kid makes in EVERY TITLE, including Capcom games. Then in a couple of years when a new FF comes, the former hated FF gets listed as one it's best past examples. FF13 though, even though so called "old-schoolers" dog it is such an amazing masterpiece, and if you've been in the industry for atleast 3+ years you will see past the common forum-hater/boy and see how Square is still great and that they didn't stray away from anything, they evolved.

FF13, the whole Lightning saga, has been so greatly produced. That to us professional digital artists, we see square as geniuses. All the work they've put in with 13 to 13-2 with that time frame given is more than impressive. Not just in the visuals but in every aspect. In the industry as cut throat as the digital design media industry, conceptualization for a basic corner of a town ALONE takes so much hard out of the artist, imagine with the bigger picture? Calling them lazy sell outs shows not only how immature you are (sorry) but you have no clue at all about how the industry is. Some will reply against me and pretend to know, but anybody with in the digital industry sees how dedicated and intelligent the company has become. Music, Scripts, character building, challenging, and assuring that players will play long with their good DLC's shows how Square hasn't lowered in their quality at all. They've raised it with this game. "Lazy sell outs" is the common complaint given to every video game of an old series, from Marvel vs capcom, tekken, RE... they all have those types of posters.

FF4, 9, and 6 go down as my sentimental favorites, but with all bias aside i do consider 13 to be the best FF made. Daring statement, sure.. and i'll get some loyalists of past games nitpicking me, but older fans are in no way shape or form better than newer fans so i don't treat "i've played the older games first" as a reason to think low of their opinions. Game companies do need to evolve and give new things to their installments, even though some traditional elements will be out of the next installment. How would 7 become so influential during it's time if Square made that inovation of customization of your characters abilities?

This goes with the topic. 13-2 was not a mistake because it was a great game, the whole pokemon-ish thing with capturing monsters was addictive and the added content made sure that we would still be busy with the game even till this day. So there was no mistake made here, it's just some fans want things to be just like the first FF that made them fans (even though they don't want to admit it).

XIII-2 is in fact quite different from X-2 - Serah's motivations (finding Lightning) change completely after a certain point in the story about 3-4 hours in. Not to mention the ending, as well as having main characters whose personalities are very different from Yuna and co. in her sequel. I understand this topic's purpose is for people to let out their...'frustrations', with the game, but factually speaking, they are different games altogether, and similar in few ways besides the -2 moniker and non-linear structure (granted, XIII-2's progression is actually linear, just not forcibly linear).

X-2 is actually the game that made me actually want to play the FF games rather than just watching my Dad playing them (as I had done for 8+ years before that). It's only on here that I've heard people say they dislike it, actually! From people I've spoken to offline, I've noticed a trend in that X-2 seems to have been a game that got more women (especially those who are casual gamers) interested in the franchise.

No plot idea is entirely original when expressed in it's simplest form, so it's no surprise that when stripped down that there will be similarities between games. It's the way the idea is developed that makes the difference. Instead of relating the concept to X-2, I felt that Serah's aim in XIII-2 was just a reversal of one of Lightning & Snow's goals in XIII. Although even thinking of it that way annoyed me because I would like to think they'd put a little more thought into the idea.

I think the fault with XIII-2 isn't the basic idea behind it but rather how they decided to introduce time travel to the story. It doesn't fit. I would have loved to see Serah battling her way across Gran Pulse rather than jumping through time. I'm a sucker for time travel stories, but I don't think it fit well with the already established world/characters. :/

Blame trash like FFXIV 1.0

Mod edit: Kuja9001
Hi, just a reminder that the forum discourages short posts, as it could be quite spammy. It would be great if you elaborate on your posts more in the future. Thanks! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
God, I'm so glad I didn't give this game a try. I feel like I already know how time-wasting it is. Even the people who said it's fun and good tell me about the lamest shit that they enjoyed in it. Fuck it

Bulldinky. FFXIII-2 is nothing like X-2. Serah goes looking for Lightning in the game, and you go through a massive time traveling journey in doing it. In this installment, they actually get better, not worse. The reason why the first one is so linear and tutoring is to prepare for the ones to come, because it's nothing but an ass-kicking, non-linear, unadulterated thrill ride from there on out. In other words, if you skip the first one, you're not going to fare well in the second.
Can't wait for part three :D

Personally, I think XIII is perfect and it's my favorite of the series. I don't understand why it's hated so much, but I'm so used to the hate that I won't bother to argue. However, I have to agree that XIII-2 was awful because there wasn't enough Lightning involved and Serah was never meant to battle. I am excited for the finale because the whole game involves Lightning saving everyone and yeah.

Thats the thing a large portion of the fans hated FFX-2 for whatever reason but theirs still a great portion of us that did like the game. I myself am counted among tat number since FFX-2 is my favorite FF. I still keep that game in perfect condition in its case with my red memory card and I sit at the top of my 360 rack. I keep all my ps2 games in pouches but FFX-2 deserves to sit on my 360's xD

Yes Square is repeating what they did in FFX-2 by having FFXIII-2 which suprisingly just like FFX-2 majority of people hate it but theirs alot of us that like it and one of em. However Im pretty sure just like FFX but when they released FFXIII they allready planned to add to the "-2" series. I call it the -2 series cause awhile back their was an interviewwith one of the developers for XIII and he talked about the "-2" series. Its supposed to be a different game, having a the story revolve around a character thats like a main character yet you know nothing or very little about them. Yuna/serah fit that description. They also wanted to play around by having very different things in the game (which I think is why alot of people hate it) this is stuff thats not in the previous title bt could be viewed as them trolling...they call it experimenting however. All Im saying is since -2 is a supposed to be series then this wont be the last time we see one.

Back