FFX-2 To those who played X first

Catnip

Auto-Haste
Veteran
Gil
What did you think of Yuna's transformation? Totally unexpected? Did you question whether or not it really was Yuna?

X-2 was my first Final Fantasy, and I didn't even know X existed. I had absolutely nothing ot compare it to. I catch myself wondering what my reactions would be, had I played X first - before X-2 was even promoted.

What were your reactions?

My reaction to Yuna in X was like... wow. I thought she was so innocent and an exaggeration of Yuna's naivete in X-2. I couldn't decide if I could like her the same ways or not, because she was totally different. She even looked different in the face for fuck sakes.

I honestly felt it was a giant troll.I bet the guys who worked on Lulu's boobs for 9 months were the ones who came up with the idea."Okay let's see how much money we'll make on complete garbage. If we rake in enough cash, we'll stop trying from now on."

I've never liked Yuna as a character, I think she was too mousey and her personality was just overly nice in X...but that was who she was as a character, so when they did a complete 180 and made her a mental bimbo in FFX-2 I was like :rage: what the actual fuck!!!

For me they destroyed who she was as a character, she became a completely different person, she could have had another name and no one would have known she was Yuna, she was that different.

Though, besides the three main characters being retarded, I actually liked FFX-2 overall :hmmm:

Last edited:
I was kinda like WTF but in the end it was okay because for how she dedicated her life to others in FFX, being with Tidus was the extra push she needed to enjoy life now she doesnt have to fake her smiles.

I loved Yuna of X and I liked the story of X-2. I hated what they'd done to Yuna, so when I play it I kind of ignore what she's like and pretend that she's still the same girl from X. It works much better if I pretend that :)

And thats why I will never give Final Fantasy X-2 a chance. It may have brilliant gameplay but I cannot stand the idea of putting up with the bullshit they have done in the game. Oh well! Quite honestly I prefer X story as it is! I understand that some people cannot live without happy endings but oh well..Thats life.

And thats why I will never give Final Fantasy X-2 a chance. It may have brilliant gameplay but I cannot stand the idea of putting up with the bullshit they have done in the game. Oh well! Quite honestly I prefer X story as it is! I understand that some people cannot live without happy endings but oh well..Thats life.

It was completely okay the way it was in X hey. X-2 wasn't even a complete ending lol it was more just "oh hey Tidus, found ya. you real or what bro?" "uh i dunno lol"

-CREDITS-

stupid. But damn if that game isn't fun as fuck.

I was too busy staring at Rikku to notice Yuna :awesome:

I didn't much care, to be honest: I felt she was a pathetically weak character in X; X-2 she didn't really get any better or worse for me. She went from being utterly dependent on Tidus to pining over him instead...I'd say the latter was preferable, because Tidus wasn't around, and that could never be anything other than a good thing. I don't take X-2 seriously, because it was supposed to be lighthearted and fun, so it's difficult for me to really compare Yuna in X with Yuna in X-2, because X I did try and take seriously, and I wound up hating the majority of the cast because of it.

My reaction was something along the lines of "I like her new outfit, but not the guns." followed by a "What the fuck is Rikku wearing?!" followed by a "Why is Squall a WOMAN in this game?" followed by the most fun I'd had on an FF game since FFVIII. I'm one of those rare people who thought that X was actually better than X-2, but that was for reasons that are completely unrelated to the character design or storyline.

She looked quite different, but that was about it. In some ways it was annoying, and in others it was strangely comforting :hmmm:

Last edited:
I was too busy staring at Rikku to notice Yuna :awesome:

I didn't much care, to be honest: I felt she was a pathetically weak character in X; X-2 she didn't really get any better or worse for me. She went from being utterly dependent on Tidus to pining over him instead...I'd say the latter was preferable, because Tidus wasn't around, and that could never be anything other than a good thing.

She looked quite different, but that was about it. In some ways it was annoying, and in others it was strangely comforting :hmmm:

I'm glad you brought this up. Everyone is going on about how Yuna was brave and courageous in X, but I never once felt that. I felt that she just didn't have a backbone and didn't want to disappoint everyone. As the game went on, I did feel a bit that she was developing bravery though. In X-2, she learned to say no and focus more on what she wanted, and the fact that she wanted to get away from her old self further proves to me that I was right about her lack of backbone. I think there can be a good explanation for her ditsy ways as well; who she was in X was who she was and who she continued to be. However, she wasn't comfortable with how it affected the way people treated her, and so she demanded a change on herself. But that's who she is, it's difficult to just walk away from the you you've known your entire life. So she naturally turned to someone to sort of "copy" to help guide her down the right path. That someone, of course, was Rikku; someone who, at 15, was already so independent, strong-willed, and outgoing. She's the perfect role model, and Rikku encouraged it! She's the one who introduced Yuna to her current wardrobe (or lack thereof).

Yuna was courageous in FFX!!!

She went on a pilgrimage knowing she would have to sacrifice herself.
She did it for her ppl the calm and to honor her father.

She fell in love with Tidus shit she was even willing to marry Seymour for the ppl.
She was brave not naive cause she did it for the right cause.

Tidus was the one who convinced her to be herself. She was nobel all the way.
In the end she lost the one who she fell in love with.

She became stronger. FFX-2 complemented FFX imo she toughened up. Ppl grow up you know.
Yuna grew up but tht sphere brought Tidus up and once again she needed to know the truth.

Yuna is a boss. :mokken:

Yeah, I think Yuna is a pretty underappreciated character. I mean, I'll be the first to make fun of her, but there's actually quite a bit of depth to spot once you get past the shallow bits. As someone who understands inner struggles all too well, I can see it in Yuna perfectly. They nailed that one for her, intentionally or not.

Well, that last post really summed it up, huh?
Anywho, Yeah, I despised Yuna in X (along with pretty much everyone but Auron & possibly Lulu) and, yes, she probably got bored after helping save Spira from sin and, realizing her boyfriend was taking his sweet n' sour chicken time coming back, she got molded and dumbed-down by Rikku. So, now, her radical transformation is suddenly magically, deliciously 'acceptable' in our eyes. I still hate it. The end :humph:

Honestly, I think Yuna was a good character in X. When I first played the game, I thought she naive and very weak. Then I understood the story more, and all of the sacrifices she had done just for the good people of Spira. I thought she was a very noble character in X.

When I played the sequel, I was taken back a little by the dramatic change of Yuna however, I didn't think any little of her from X. Sure she dresses differently and not to mention, her dialogue and actions are different. I didn't really take the sequel as I took X. I knew as soon as I saw Rikku and Yuna, that this game is more of a game to just have 'fun' kind of added on. X ended perfectly and X-2 wasn't at all needed, but I still enjoyed the game. There is actually a scene I believe that hinted the x-2 sequel, so I knew from the start that there was going to be changes. (Rikku mentioned the outfits)

Personally, I was neutral towards Yuna in X. I could see where she could be both courageous or spineless.

Sure, she was sacrificing herself. She was so... chivalrous. All she really cared about was to make everyone else happy. Tidus was the only person (through their love) that actually got through to her to be... selfish, in a way. Yet she still decided after she fell in love that she would do what she had said she would. Personally I think that gives Yuna great integrity. (Really, you find your first love and say "Well, I already said I was going to sacrifice myself for everyone. I should keep that promise. You want me to marry this completely wretched man? Sure, no problem guys." How many of us could/would do that for your country/world?) You can see how much she really cares about those people... Or is it because she just can't say no?

Even in X-2, Yuna gets called out for being so passive. (Paine later says she jumps head-first) It could be that Yuna isn't even being chivalrous about sacrificing herself, she could just feel obligated. Being a passive person would make her feel like just because her father defeated Sin- that she has to as well.

I'd like to think the former- sure she's shy and bashful, is that a crime?

X-2 completely destroyed her whole character.

In my opinion, (as it's been mentioned before involving Lulu's breasts) the whole game to me is completely sexual. The outfits, the attitudes, the frankly weird situations. (As a 12 yr old at the time playing the LeBlanc massage scenario my mother heard the noises and accused me of watching a dirty movie...)

Yuna completely turns into a shallow, immature, Rikku version of herself. (We only need one, thanks.) This is turning into a rant so I'll stop there, sorry guys.

At first her character progression bothered me......a lot. X-2 seemed to destroy Yuna at first glance. But if you consider WHY she became that way it kind of makes more sense. And after watching the Eternal Calm prequel you can get an understanding of how tired Yuna was of the life she was living on Besaid. Her going back out into the world, and following her own dreams makes a lot of sense.

As for her character: she seems to be modeling both Tidus and Rikku. I'm not really sure why she did this, maybe she was trying to change who she was? Maybe she was tired of being the same old, passive, calm, quiet yet willful Yuna who was self-sacrificing. But obviously as we progress through X-2 we begin to see Yuna never really changed at all. Sure, she says silly things like Rikku and acts immature at times but when people need help she seems to go right back into her old routine of helping others. By the end of the game you can see that her resolve is still very much there. When she gives her speech to Nooj about how losing in order to win is pointless you can hear it in her voice and by her body language that her strength and courage from X is still in her. Tidus just helped her to realize that sacrificing one to help everyone else is pointless when there is the possibility of getting the job done without having to sacrifice anyone. And by the end of the game it becomes apparent that she's calming down in terms of acting like Rikku.

So this kind of leads me to believe that X-2 Yuna is really just Yuna acting like a mix of Tidus and Rikku. It's all a front. Yuna is still Yuna. She's just trying too hard to get away from her old ways as a summoner. Or maybe X-2 was really Yuna trying to find out who she truly was in a world without Sin. All her life she lived with the knowledge she may die one day battling Sin. She was prepared to die young. When Tidus came into the picture he changed all of that. Now that Spira is moving on into a more liberal and laid back age, Yuna is trying to do the same. Granted, it comes across as fake and annoying......but X-2 could have been her experimenting with finding out who she was in this new age.

At first her character progression bothered me......a lot. X-2 seemed to destroy Yuna at first glance. But if you consider WHY she became that way it kind of makes more sense. And after watching the Eternal Calm prequel you can get an understanding of how tired Yuna was of the life she was living on Besaid. Her going back out into the world, and following her own dreams makes a lot of sense.

As for her character: she seems to be modeling both Tidus and Rikku. I'm not really sure why she did this, maybe she was trying to change who she was? Maybe she was tired of being the same old, passive, calm, quiet yet willful Yuna who was self-sacrificing. But obviously as we progress through X-2 we begin to see Yuna never really changed at all. Sure, she says silly things like Rikku and acts immature at times but when people need help she seems to go right back into her old routine of helping others. By the end of the game you can see that her resolve is still very much there. When she gives her speech to Nooj about how losing in order to win is pointless you can hear it in her voice and by her body language that her strength and courage from X is still in her. Tidus just helped her to realize that sacrificing one to help everyone else is pointless when there is the possibility of getting the job done without having to sacrifice anyone. And by the end of the game it becomes apparent that she's calming down in terms of acting like Rikku.

So this kind of leads me to believe that X-2 Yuna is really just Yuna acting like a mix of Tidus and Rikku. It's all a front. Yuna is still Yuna. She's just trying too hard to get away from her old ways as a summoner. Or maybe X-2 was really Yuna trying to find out who she truly was in a world without Sin. All her life she lived with the knowledge she may die one day battling Sin. She was prepared to die young. When Tidus came into the picture he changed all of that. Now that Spira is moving on into a more liberal and laid back age, Yuna is trying to do the same. Granted, it comes across as fake and annoying......but X-2 could have been her experimenting with finding out who she was in this new age.

Well that is plausible but I dont think any real person would go from someone as Yuna in X to a dumb bimbo in X-2 given that in X-2 she still has some redeeming qualities but is still an annoying person.

I think a lot of the change that occurred in Yuna is pretty realistic. Look at who she's with all the time; Rikku. People often start to act like or become the people they surround themselves with, and I think it's due to insecurities - something everyone has. I noticed Rikku began to mirror Paine as well, but it was so slight because she failed hard, and she can't really escape the Al Bhed traits. That's about all there is to entertain the thought of "justifying" Rikku's moronic behaviour. I don't understand what happened there.

But with Yuna, I feel like I get it.

“I use bits and pieces of others personalities to form my own.” ― Kurt Cobain

You can see Yuna totally attempted this, and she succeeded - as long as she was in character. In the end, there really is no escaping who you truly are. I think Yuna finally started to grow a lot more comfortable with who she was, and so she gained confidence. You can really see it at the end when she confronts Nooj.

IMO, in X Yuna was sweet and calm and a strong person. In X-2, while she seemed to still be strong, she was easily controlled. Think about when Rikku and Brother agree that they want to be notorious despite Yuna saying that they went too far, or when they almost force her to dance just afterwards. To me, it was like she'd lost that straight path that she had in X (ok, so that path twisted and turned a bit, but she still had a main objective - to beat Sin - and everything else could wait.) She even gave up her desire to go to Tidus' Zanarkand because of that goal.

That's minor however. What really bugged me about her in X-2 was all her 'tributes' to Tidus. Her hair is spiked similar to his, she has a Zanarkand Abes symbol on her gunner outfit, her warrior sword is the Brotherhood sword, most of her warrior quotes are things Tidus had said, she screams randomly like he did, etc. I mean, I understand that she was in love with him, but surely the whistle thing would have been enough of a reference to that?

I know that's not as important as how they majorly screwed up her character - I completely agree with what everyone's been saying - but those little things just irritated me while playing X-2. I guess after playing X, her personality in X-2 seemed almost unnatural.

IMO, in X Yuna was sweet and calm and a strong person. In X-2, while she seemed to still be strong, she was easily controlled. Think about when Rikku and Brother agree that they want to be notorious despite Yuna saying that they went too far, or when they almost force her to dance just afterwards. To me, it was like she'd lost that straight path that she had in X (ok, so that path twisted and turned a bit, but she still had a main objective - to beat Sin - and everything else could wait.) She even gave up her desire to go to Tidus' Zanarkand because of that goal.

That's minor however. What really bugged me about her in X-2 was all her 'tributes' to Tidus. Her hair is spiked similar to his, she has a Zanarkand Abes symbol on her gunner outfit, her warrior sword is the Brotherhood sword, most of her warrior quotes are things Tidus had said, she screams randomly like he did, etc. I mean, I understand that she was in love with him, but surely the whistle thing would have been enough of a reference to that?

I know that's not as important as how they majorly screwed up her character - I completely agree with what everyone's been saying - but those little things just irritated me while playing X-2. I guess after playing X, her personality in X-2 seemed almost unnatural.

Are you trying to tell me X Yuna was not easily controlled?

I do agree with the Tidus characteristics she mirrored physically. I think that was something for the fans, but it really downgrades her character - which most evidently feel was already a major fall in X-2 to begin with.

^Eh, its her first love. Not only that but the connection between the two of them was unusual in that it went extremely deep to a life and death matter resulting in an ultimate sacrifice. And keeping in mind that although she is chivalrous and strong in the original, she lived a life based on a complete lie, a system built on lies. Tidus comes along and does the opposite of what stands for tradition. He basically destroys her way of life, inspires her to become a person who thinks for herself rather than on the basis of religion alone (note that in X she does make decisions for the good of the people but they are ultimately based on a convication of religious theory anyway) and various other things I think don't need to be covered really...

Point is by the time X-2 comes along she's been completely freed of all the pressures, convictions, moral lies and so on as well as the burdens that she had to endure, although she maintains one sole burden (Tidus). So given the radical differences between the worlds of X and X-2 its not quite unusual for her to change in such an impressive way whether people like it or not, it's something that was bound to happen as she now has to find her new self in a world where she is reluctant to let go of certain elements of the past. In fact she's lucky because she's one of the few who gets rewarded for straddling the line. X-2's story is a perfect example of how the past is difficult to move on from and usually ends up causing more aggro than needed.

I think a lot of the backlash for the story of x-2 if we eliminate the charlie's angels crap and some of the more rubbish things they included, is we did all that work in Spira in X and most of the ungrateful spoilt brats of the species proceed to get back into old habits, to such an extent I half thought it would probably be better if we didn't defeat Sin... -_-

Back