The creepiest part of Final Fantasy 7?

I agree with most of the points brought up by the others.. for me when I first played FF7 I was young enough that the madness of the Honey Bee and cross dressing completely went over my head.. but as times the game could just go eerie for me. Scenes that unsettled me were:

When the party is captured at Shinra, all the blood following
The Jenova test subjects in the Neibleheim reactor
the return to Neibleheim when everyone denies what happened.
Any time Sepherioth takes over clould and you contract a ghost-ty version of him while the actual cloud does something stupid..(eg black materia or nearly slicing Aerith)

I think quite frankly it would be Professor Hojo's character altogether. Talk about a Dr. Frankenstein gone completely beyond that. He was given unlimited resources to basically do his dark experiments over and over. Everything to him is either a test subject or a nothing. He literally lives on a binary bit mentality. Every test subject to him is nameless as well. His own son in fact became his test subject, and the
fact that Sephiroth was his son made it that much more creepy

I'm sure it's been noted about 36 time already at this point, but going back through the blood spattered walls/floors of the shinra building was absolutely horrifying for me as a kid. I almost stopped playing but somebody told me you get to explore the world map shortly after that so I pushed myself on.

probably the collapse of sector 7's plate? more just really dark than creepy, the cgi representation of innocent people panicking and dashing about as they about to be crushed to death.
the story of the obsession with jenova and the mother type relationship/dynamic thing going on is a bit norman bates esq. the gym scene is a bit odd, I use the gym myself and the thought of strangers demanding I do exercises for them is a bit weird. reminds me of purple aki lol. for reference https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Purple_Aki
I thought the shinra mansion is creepy but in an entertaining way, its a bit like taking a tour around a haunted house.

So many to choose from; bloodied Shin-ra building, cave of Gi, most Jenova encounters, sunken Gelnica, Nibelheim (flashback and return) and Whirlwind maze/REUNION to name a few.

2 creepy parts : the boat from junon to costa del sol when jenova attacks and second creepy zone : cosmo canyon Gi cavern
Maybe a third zone can be added : midgard section 8 raid with hojo mutation

Creepiest part of ff7 for me has got to be the Horror hotel in the gold saucer, definitely spoopy but the guy at the desk just creeped me the hell out every time i got there XD

There's A LOT of creepy stuff in the game.
Basically everything about Nibelheim and Mythril Cave is creepy.
The WEAPONs, Diamond, Ultima, Emerald, Ruby, are all creepy.
Sephiroth is creepy...and yet, I admire that the most about him.
Lucrecia's Cave is creepy.
The whole weird sequence after Mideel collapses is creepy.
Vincent is creepy.

A few things were creepy to 8 year old me when I first watched my brother play this. Jenova's appearance of course is really terrifying, as well as the Midgar Zolom chasing you and then being impaled by Sephiroth. The blood-stained halls of Shinra HQ when Sephiroth reclaims Jenova was really shocking as well, as I was just imagining dead bodies just being dragged everywhere.

Playing this when I was older I realize how terrifying Hojo's part in all of this really was. When you see the monster fall out of the tank at Mt. Nibel and realize that they were once people was a bit unnerving. Reading about the scratchings in the tanks in the basement of the Shinra Mansion (As well as the Shinra Mansion as whole) for some reason made me realize how insane experimenting on otherwise healthy people is so morally wrong in so many ways. I dunno, it just really put it into perspective about how bad this is and why Hojo is the perfect embodiment of a 'Mad Scientist'

That said, I think Cloud's Mako poisoning is truly the most 'creepy' in regards to this thread for myself personally. Seeing your main character completely catatonic is kinda alarming despite the graphics being unrealistic to.. well, the real world. When you visit Cloud in Mideel it's got that sad eerie music and the sounds of him... breathing I guess? I'm not sure what the sound effects necessarily were but they were disturbing considering the entire situation. It's just entirely sad and horryfing at the same time knowing that a person could physically be present and not mentally present at all. I think it would have been less of an impact if he was just in a coma, but my dude was struggling to even lift his head, and the text dialog for the sounds he was making just... 😩

Makes me really wonder how they'll do that part in the remake!

A few things were creepy to 8 year old me when I first watched my brother play this. Jenova's appearance of course is really terrifying, as well as the Midgar Zolom chasing you and then being impaled by Sephiroth. The blood-stained halls of Shinra HQ when Sephiroth reclaims Jenova was really shocking as well, as I was just imagining dead bodies just being dragged everywhere.

Playing this when I was older I realize how terrifying Hojo's part in all of this really was. When you see the monster fall out of the tank at Mt. Nibel and realize that they were once people was a bit unnerving. Reading about the scratchings in the tanks in the basement of the Shinra Mansion (As well as the Shinra Mansion as whole) for some reason made me realize how insane experimenting on otherwise healthy people is so morally wrong in so many ways. I dunno, it just really put it into perspective about how bad this is and why Hojo is the perfect embodiment of a 'Mad Scientist'

That said, I think Cloud's Mako poisoning is truly the most 'creepy' in regards to this thread for myself personally. Seeing your main character completely catatonic is kinda alarming despite the graphics being unrealistic to.. well, the real world. When you visit Cloud in Mideel it's got that sad eerie music and the sounds of him... breathing I guess? I'm not sure what the sound effects necessarily were but they were disturbing considering the entire situation. It's just entirely sad and horryfing at the same time knowing that a person could physically be present and not mentally present at all. I think it would have been less of an impact if he was just in a coma, but my dude was struggling to even lift his head, and the text dialog for the sounds he was making just... 😩

Makes me really wonder how they'll do that part in the remake!

Agreed with all of this.

Hojo is everything Ian Malcom warned against in Jurassic Park. Except he's worse. He isn't just negligent or inconsiderate. Hojo simply doesn't care if his experiments upset the natural order of the world, even if he is fully conscious that his experiments are destructive and are wreaking havoc on the planet. His curiosity has no boundaries at all.
And yet somehow he's a real hit with the ladies. Sunbathing on the beach at Costa Del Sol, being pampered by women in bikinis.

One other thing which I find quite eerie is the cry of the Planet. It's something I thought about quite a bit while putting together my recent Gaia article. The Planet has a detectable voice which can be heard by those who know how to listen, and it is screaming in agony with everything Shinra has done to it.

This really creeped me out as a kid, and it still does now.

Not sure if you would consider it creepy but the melody in the forgotten city post Aerith's death kinda touched me with a similar vibe but more sorrowful in that sense must just be me but i don't ever recall investing into her character that much the first time enough to care about it but if that was part of subtle shock value it worked.

Not sure if you would consider it creepy but the melody in the forgotten city post Aerith's death kinda touched me with a similar vibe but more sorrowful in that sense must just be me but i don't ever recall investing into her character that much the first time enough to care about it but if that was part of subtle shock value it worked.

You mean this track?

I find this track deeply unsettling and haunting, for sure. And I love it for it!
It forces us to consider this amazing, enigmatic lost civilisation and how it all ended. Everyone who once walked these streets have long gone. Their entire culture and way of life only preserved in very limited stories which have become mythology. And yet their souls still resonate here, as if they are trapped, or the Planet itself is singing about them to keep their memory alive.

And then you introduce Aerith into the picture, and everything that she is (the last legacy of the Cetra), and what happens to her at this very location, and it makes you reflect on her too.

This is an underrated track, I think, but one which resonates with many people.

Back