The creepiest part of Final Fantasy 7?

I ran through the Midgar Marsh on foot after saving, just to see if it was marginally possible before turning off the game.

And I was like :holyshit:
*Like a Boss*

Had my gaming adrenaline going about halfway through lol.

As far as parts, I'd have to say the Cave of the Gi beneath Cosmo Canyon. That place is like Satan's drunk tank.

I always thought the creepiest part was when you fell asleep in the Shinra HQ, and when you wake up your cell is open, people everywhere are killed, there's blood everywhere, President Shinra had a huge sword in his back, and that music. The music is what captured the atmosphere for me. I remember being a kid and getting to this part. It was intense.

Cloud seeing Jenova in Shinra HQ was pretty random and penetrating to the senses. Barret's 'black moment' made it all better though :D

But let's see.. the underbelly of Cosmo Canyon was pretty creepy. Oh wait, I already made a post on that, lol.
Oh well.
That damn Demon Wall in the Temple of the Ancients was pretty intimidating. Annnd... that's all I can think of.

One thing that comes to mind is FFVI's ghost train event. But I guess that's irrelevant :(

On a less serious note, there were really no creepy moments for me other than pretty much every single Aerith moment. Let's be honest, that girl had issues. She was such a creepy girl since the beginning, and so god damn clingy.

Ha ha yeah I didn't warm to her at all! I put it down to cultural differences in the end!

Sephiroth appears and then just starts screwing with Cloud and yours head. Plus the strange boy with black hair ? Who was he ? Why was he in the photo instead of Cloud ? <============ THIS

Imagine opening up an old yearbook and expecting to see yourself in the picute..... but someone else was in your place... im actually having goosebumps right now.....

There were a number of bits I found creepy.

When you first see the Jenova specimen with no head.
When you wake up in your prison cell and then find the blood everywhere.
When you find that the Jenova specimen has broken free.
When you're following Sephiroth in the flashback; all that bit is pretty creepy.

Also, the fact that when you're looking for and following Sephiroth and people keep saying "Yes we've seen a man like him" but you never really see him and you're a bit scared because you know how powerful he is.

Got to be the Nibleheim flashback where Sephiroth says "Out of my way I'm going to see my mother" and the creepy music starts still sends a shiver up my spine to this day!

The creepiest part for me was probably the general concept of Jenova rather than a particular scene.

The implications of Jenova were at the root of many particularly creepy scenes in the game (the Nibelheim reactor monsters, and Sephiroth’s murderous rampages, amongst other instances), but the concept itself was the most frightening element for me.

I’ve never seen it written explicitly, but I’m assuming that the concept for Jenova had been influenced heavily (or indirectly / unconsciously perhaps) by horror stories such as H.P Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness, and also horror films such as The Thing. Taking these two examples, both of these stories relate to some sort of extremely powerful and intelligent cosmic horror (/s) landing in Antarctica in Earth’s prehistory, only to be rediscovered in a state of stasis by an Antarctic exploration team, with devastating consequences when the bodies reanimate in some form. For both stories, if the cosmic horrors found therein were ever to leave Antarctica and reach civilisation then the implications for human life on Earth would be catastrophically bleak.

This is much the same with Jenova. Jenova had landed 2000 or so years before the present day (of that game’s world) and battled with the Cetra race of people. Jenova was able to infect many Cetra, turning them into monsters, and others Jenova was able to fool by taking the form of their loved ones, etc, etc, and playing tantalising psychological games (implied). Eventually the Cetra were able to contain Jenova at the Northern Crater (an equivalent of Antarctica, just on the opposite hemisphere), but the Cetra never recovered. Jenova, and much knowledge of the Cetra, was lost to the present day race of humans in FFVII’s world. A couple of legends circulated, but that was all people had to go by. But then Shinra scientists discovered and excavated Jenova, and misinterpreted it as a Cetra.

Horrifyingly, the scientists who discovered Jenova in the Northern Crater did not contain the alien to the crater. Instead, Jenova’s corpse did reach civilisation, and with much human meddling through misguided scientific experiments the devastation caused by Jenova to humanity rapidly started to surface. Much of this was through the twisted will of Sephiroth, but there was also some sort of symbiotic partnership there. Jenova was a corpse, but there was still life in her cells, and the meddling of the humans and freakish-experiments would work in her favour. Maybe if Sephiroth (and Jenova) were not defeated, the ‘Calamity From the Skies’ might actually have devastated the planet (partly by her own work, but also the work of Sephiroth if he had completed the transformation into a god), and might have reformed and set out for the stars to destroy new planets.

Also, a note on her name. Jenova is often taken to be a mixture of the words Jehovah (God) and Nova (a Latin word for ‘new’), thus making Jenova ‘New God’. It’s a loose association, but it does relate well with the legends of the Promised Land circulating in the FFVII world, and also to the name of Sephiroth himself (relating to the Jewish Kabbalah). There might have been some play here with these names. Maybe Jenova as the invading world-changing influence on an ancient world is similar to the impact of the rise and spread of worshippers of the monotheistic Abrahamic God (and varied branches thereafter). Or… Perhaps instead if the naming of Jenova was only applied by Shinra (rather than being its true name, or the name used by the Cetra – not sure if this is stated) then maybe the biblical/etc associations are a way of linking to Shinra’s mistaken belief that Jenova is a Cetra, and that this will help them find the fabled Promised Land from legend. Interesting nonetheless. Or maybe I’m talking nonsense now, alas.

So, yes. The concept of Jenova was quite horrifying and disturbing in some ways. Jenova was a cosmic horror of Lovecraftian proportions. Unlike Lovecraftian horror, however, since FFVII is a more optimistic Final Fantasy game the protagonists had a chance to survive with their sanity intact (excepting Cloud’s wheelchair-bound breakdown of madness, of course).

So, when I played the game, although Sephiroth was the main antagonist it was the implications of the lurking horror of Jenova that truly filled me with awe and dread. And this does more so now with my present day (and older mindset) reflection on the game.

But it didn't scare me really. :argor:

This scene..... it's always bothered me for some reason.

Attachments

• SCUS_941.63_12092014_233923_0988.png
    SCUS_941.63_12092014_233923_0988.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 346
the creepiest part of Final Fantasy VII? I don't found a scene I can define creepy, but FF7 has a lot of scene that take your breath away and with much suspance, probably the part that is more intense is after the jailbreak of the shinra's jail, the blood on the floor, all office worker died and the president shinra killed with the Sephiroth's Masamune, a memorable moment :')

Either finding Sephiroth/Jenova having murdered everyone in the Shinra building OR finding the Midgar Zolom impaled on a tree. I think both events really helped build suspense and created Sephiroth as a brilliant antagonist. Mysterious and also incredibly powerful don't tend to go together. But they should.

The creepiest part for me was probably the general concept of Jenova rather than a particular scene.

The implications of Jenova were at the root of many particularly creepy scenes in the game (the Nibelheim reactor monsters, and Sephiroth’s murderous rampages, amongst other instances), but the concept itself was the most frightening element for me.

I’ve never seen it written explicitly, but I’m assuming that the concept for Jenova had been influenced heavily (or indirectly / unconsciously perhaps) by horror stories such as H.P Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness, and also horror films such as The Thing. Taking these two examples, both of these stories relate to some sort of extremely powerful and intelligent cosmic horror (/s) landing in Antarctica in Earth’s prehistory, only to be rediscovered in a state of stasis by an Antarctic exploration team, with devastating consequences when the bodies reanimate in some form. For both stories, if the cosmic horrors found therein were ever to leave Antarctica and reach civilisation then the implications for human life on Earth would be catastrophically bleak.

Definitely agree with this. Jenova was at once the most interesting and terrifying concept in FF VII. The influence is pretty clear, but what they did with the concept is really neat. I remember being specifically creeped out by the Jenova escape sequence in the Shinra headquarters and just the general creepy atmosphere of the scenes in the Jenova chamber at Nibelheim and of Sephiroth's slow realization of what he truly is.

The Makonoid...

Also during the first part of the game, where the party is held prisoner in the Shinra Building. When they wake up, they find the guards dead and the blood trail next to the Jenova tank. The eerie music enhanced the creepy factor 0_0

The creepiest part in Final Fantasy VII for me was in the Gi Cave before you battle Gi Nattak. Its face looks so creepy.
tumblr_ltn266kr9W1qae53ko1_500.gif

Another part that I found creepy was in the Shinra Building when Sephiroth took Jenova's body and drag it all over the building. That was something that impacted me alot.

Back