Defending XIII, not hating any other titles

Speaking narratively, Chapter 10 is the start of the second act (the Barthandelus reveal is the climax of the first act), with the overall climax occurring in chapter 13 (as you would expect). Now that is quibbling with phrasing.

You fight 15 bosses in chapters 1 through 9. You fight 15 bosses in chapters 10-13. There are more enemy groups in chapters 10-13 than in chapters 1-9, although admittedly, if you cut out the optional areas of chapter 11, chapters 1-9 have a bit of an edge here. Chapter 9 swings this--i.e. Chapters 1-8 have fewer groups than chapters 9-13 even without chapter 11's optional groups. Most players will take at least as long to get through chapters 10-13 as they will to get through chapters 1-9. If you ignore optional content, you could make a case for the midpoint of the gameplay being in chapter 9 instead of chapter 10--this is why I quibbled with "approximately"--but it's hardly farfetched to place it in chapter 10. What is farfetched is to claim that chapter 10 is anywhere near the end of the game.

Also, Barthandelus II, 5 stars, paradigm shifts only: http://youtu.be/HAgfstIU83w

Note the key usage of Vanille's secondary roles. I might have to try this again with Sazh's SAB instead of his MED--turns out that trying to have him heal wastes too much time (it makes the fight easier, but there's no chance for 5 stars).

Man, that video was crazy as hell. That's intense just watching you do this, let alone hearing of somebody actually considering doing this. Kudos to you bro that was a job well done! :highfive:

Speaking narratively, Chapter 10 is the start of the second act (the Barthandelus reveal is the climax of the first act), with the overall climax occurring in chapter 13 (as you would expect). Now that is quibbling with phrasing.

You fight 15 bosses in chapters 1 through 9. You fight 15 bosses in chapters 10-13. There are more enemy groups in chapters 10-13 than in chapters 1-9, although admittedly, if you cut out the optional areas of chapter 11, chapters 1-9 have a bit of an edge here. Chapter 9 swings this--i.e. Chapters 1-8 have fewer groups than chapters 9-13 even without chapter 11's optional groups. Most players will take at least as long to get through chapters 10-13 as they will to get through chapters 1-9. If you ignore optional content, you could make a case for the midpoint of the gameplay being in chapter 9 instead of chapter 10--this is why I quibbled with "approximately"--but it's hardly farfetched to place it in chapter 10. What is farfetched is to claim that chapter 10 is anywhere near the end of the game.

Also, Barthandelus II, 5 stars, paradigm shifts only: http://youtu.be/HAgfstIU83w

Note the key usage of Vanille's secondary roles. I might have to try this again with Sazh's SAB instead of his MED--turns out that trying to have him heal wastes too much time (it makes the fight easier, but there's no chance for 5 stars).

Impressive indeed. Now that's what the game should have, no specific control on lead characters. Its too in between, and both aspects don't really compliment eachother. Having full control of all characters or indirectl controlling all of them equally.

Controlling 1 while others purely by paradigms seems to give the "restriction" feel. Using only paradigms actually gives more room to modify auto battle.

But overalll, the game just fails for me, and fails for a lot of people out there too. You admit the game has some issues. Others see even more you don't agree with. Let's just drop it.

Last edited:
Back