Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Sheechiibii

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Okay, so most people who know me will know how much I can't stand this game. I literally hate it pretty badly and have ranted so many times about it. Reasons why I disliked it? Everything in the game basically. I just couldn't find a single thing to like, I even disliked the graphics because I felt they'd neglected everything else for them.

However, I posted on a thread a few hours ago and it got me thinking. I was never a big fan of XII and never finished it the first time I played it however I went back and replayed it recently - years after that first time - and I actually really enjoyed it. It's still not a favourite but I'd be happy to say that it's one of the best games I've played. It got me thinking, should I try XIII again? I hate the very idea of it, but despite that I do actually want to like this game, even with how much I think it's awful. I love the FF games and I like all the games apart from this one. I'd love to love it, I just don't know if it's possible. I never hated XII I just wasn't very excited about it, so I know that XIII would have to do so much more to turn me around than XII did. I still have my copy of XIII, I didn't get rid of it purely on principle that I'd wasted my money on it and it's a FF game. Also, if I played it this time and actually managed (even with how unlikely it seems to me now) to like it, it would mean I'd probably buy XIII-2 which I'd like to do, but with how much I loath XIII I have no interest in it.

I just worry that I won't last past the first hour and then I'll hate it even more (if that's actually possible). I wouldn't want to hate this game more than I already do (if that's possible) so am wondering if it's worth the risk? Also not to mention I'd have wasted a couple of hours of my life...

Thoughts?

You should play this game again if you enjoy things like beating your head against a wall because it's pretty much the same thing :ari:

I've been thinking the same thing. Except, I think I'm better off trying to replay it than you are to be honest. I didn't despise the game, I just didn't like it very much either. I lean towards disliking it, but in reality I am indifferent to the game. So me replaying it might make a bit more sense....but someone who played it and absolutely despised it? Yeah.....not sure if that's a good idea. lol.

But if you wanna go for it, try playing until you just can't stand it any more and just stop. That way you don't bash your head against a wall like Saul said ^

I'm giving it re-try right now. Minds think alike huh ? Though to be honest I sorta of almost so far feel the same that I did way back in 2010 ? I still hate Snow and Lightning and have a soft spot towards Hope even though most of the people who play this game think that he's one of the most awful characters ever created...

The chapter thing and how most things are explained via guidebook annoy me too. Why aren't they explained via the game like it should be ?
:thehell:

Though I am enjoying Hope and Snow's relationship. They're like brothers. Snow is that older brother that is trying to understand is younger brother; but the younger brother is annoyed with him; but in the end they sort of begin to understand each other. It's like a gem storyline and development hiding throughout alot of mess.

Same with Vanille and Sazh. But a more of a Father and Daughter relationship.
:hmmm:

FF XIII to me feels like a Guilty Pleasure. It's filled with cheese. You either enjoy it, or you secretly enjoy the cheesy drama like dialogue, cheesy story and just cheesy everything.
:grin:

I would replay it with the mindframe that you'll look for and focus on the positive aspects of it. :) Believing you hate a game can go one of two ways: either you focus on the negative aspects because of your hatred, which confirms it, or you work upwards from your low expectations.

Although the game certainly has flaws, I love it because I looked past those flaws to the roots of what was going on, who the characters were etc. The dialogue can, at times, be quite cheesy, but if you think about what's been said and how the characters are feeling, the story is quite beautiful.

When it comes to Vanille and Fang... I didn't care for either character until the final scene of the game. The final scene is absolutely beautiful and incredibly powerful.

Snow can be a bit of a jock, but he's also incredibly caring. Watch him grow! He begins as a hyperactive, somewhat irritating 'hero,' but he mellows over the course of the game. He uses his personality to encourage the group, but essentially transforms. He's more responsible, a little calmer and more considerate. At the beginning of the game, he's a little destructive, which leads to the death
of Hope's mother
. I don't think he would have done this at the end. He would have found another way. He would have been positive and enthusiastic to encourage his team, but he wouldn't have put others in danger.

I really like Hope, Sahz and Serah. :lew: You see very little of Serah in the game, but by chapter 11, you realise she's quite mature (this is evident in the scene with her and Vanille at the beach).

Lightning is the one character I am neutral towards, so I have no ideas about what you should focus on to make her a more positive experience. :sad3:

Trying to piece together the story, look at how its constructed and then consider why it's been constructed that way could be quite interesting. If nothing else, you could look at it from a design point of view. What works? What doesn't?

In conclusion, FFXIII isn't the best FF game (it's low down on my list in terms of gameplay), but the story and its characters are both beautiful at the core. You almost have to reach through the pebbles to pick out the nuggets of gold which lie at the very centre. They're a little hidden, but they are there, and when you find them, it's rewarding. :)

I'd say replay it. Here's what's happened to me with a few games: the game gets so hyped up by other gamers and the developers that when it releases my expectations are set so high that anything less than a perfect game is going to seem horribly flawed. And maybe there are serious flaws to the game...but they wouldn't have been game-breaking if not for the high expectations.

So then time passes, I've accepted in my head that I don't care much for it, but something makes me try it again. My expectations are now set so low that I find my hatred was not entirely warranted and in fact there is much to enjoy that I hadn't seen before what for my disappointment with it not being what I expected. Only now I'm not expecting it to be anything, so by just being something it is enjoyable...if that makes sense.

So, I think you're in a great place to try it again. :)

I'd say replay it. Here's what's happened to me with a few games: the game gets so hyped up by other gamers and the developers that when it releases my expectations are set so high that anything less than a perfect game is going to seem horribly flawed. And maybe there are serious flaws to the game...but they wouldn't have been game-breaking if not for the high expectations.
Yeah, this happens a lot to me. You should at least give it a try with a fresh mind-set. Besides, if your PS3 works, what's the harm? (If you super hate XIII, though, you could always trade it in.) :)

So then time passes, I've accepted in my head that I don't care much for it, but something makes me try it again. My expectations are now set so low that I find my hatred was not entirely warranted and in fact there is much to enjoy that I hadn't seen before what for my disappointment with it not being what I expected. Only now I'm not expecting it to be anything, so by just being something it is enjoyable...if that makes sense.

So, I think you're in a great place to try it again. :)

I am thinking that my hatred might no longer be warrented. I honestly can't remember the whole story any more it's been so long and since I didn't like it I seem to have forgotten it more easily. I'm thinking my hatred might have even gotten worse over time and that if I replay it the hatred I have now might actually make it a better game, perhaps even enjoyable.

At the same time I could replay it and learn that I still hate it and then I'll probably hate it even more because I'll have refreshed my memory of it.

I'm leaning towards trying it though, mostly because I really do want to like it.

...dare I ask why? What you see with FFXIII is what you get: a bland, one-dimensional cast of characters, a nonsensical excuse for a story that is little more than characters running from one place to the next accomplishing bugger all, and one of the worst battle systems in JRPG history. It does nothing new at all, it's painfully flawed, and lacks anything even remotely resembling appeal. Why would you want to try to like it, when your first instinct was to not like it? It hardly does anything to warrant it.

If I were you, I'd save myself the trouble and avoid it; it's one long, painful slog that never rewards you with the exciting story you'd expect. The only good thing about it is that it ends, and you don't have to play the diabolical sequel to get everything out of it's pitiful excuse for a story. But then, I strongly dislike FFXIII, and I don't believe in giving anyone or anything a second chance: it just invites you to make the same mistake all over again. FFXIII was never anything other than one giant mistake...if you want to make it again by trying to watch it (I say watch, because you never really play it at any stage; it's just an interactive movie) that's your call.

...dare I ask why? What you see with FFXIII is what you get: a bland, one-dimensional cast of characters, a nonsensical excuse for a story that is little more than characters running from one place to the next accomplishing bugger all, and one of the worst battle systems in JRPG history. It does nothing new at all, it's painfully flawed, and lacks anything even remotely resembling appeal. Why would you want to try to like it, when your first instinct was to not like it? It hardly does anything to warrant it.

If I were you, I'd save myself the trouble and avoid it; it's one long, painful slog that never rewards you with the exciting story you'd expect. The only good thing about it is that it ends, and you don't have to play the diabolical sequel to get everything out of it's pitiful excuse for a story. But then, I strongly dislike FFXIII, and I don't believe in giving anyone or anything a second chance: it just invites you to make the same mistake all over again. FFXIII was never anything other than one giant mistake...if you want to make it again by trying to watch it (I say watch, because you never really play it at any stage; it's just an interactive movie) that's your call.

*sigh* I know...that's exactly how I feel about it too. I don't know. I guess it's just because when I replayed XII I actually really enjoyed it, enough for it to be my fourth top FF game. I just wonder if maybe replaying XIII would do the same. Having said that I never hated XII I just didn't like it and wasn't interested in it.

I want to like XIII because I love FF games in general and I think it's a shame I dislike this one so much. Also, if I liked this one I might be interested in trying XIII-2 so in theory I could end up finding 2 games to enjoy. I don't know how much of that is just wishfull thinking though, and how plausible it actually is that I could go from hating everything about a game to enjoying it. Most of it hinges on the story for me though, I figure if I can enjoy the story and the characters like some people do then I'd be able to look past all the other things I dislike.

The chapter thing and how most things are explained via guidebook annoy me too. Why aren't they explained via the game like it should be ? :thehell:

8 did the same thing and its in the golden age department of FF. Whats the issue with it? other games do it too but since its FF its a bad thing.

8 did the same thing and its in the golden age department of FF. Whats the issue with it? other games do it too but since its FF its a bad thing.

How did VIII do the same thing? There wasn't a datalog in VIII, if you're talking about the computer it doesn't tell you anything you don't find out in-game and if you're talking about the menu part it also only adds things you've already seen in the game. In XIII the datalog has information that you'll never hear or know about unless you read it, some of which is vital to the storytelling.

How did VIII do the same thing? There wasn't a datalog in VIII, if you're talking about the computer it doesn't tell you anything you don't find out in-game and if you're talking about the menu part it also only adds things you've already seen in the game. In XIII the datalog has information that you'll never hear or know about unless you read it, some of which is vital to the storytelling.

Nowhere in the game did it mention Para-Magic.

Ive thought about this myself aswell. I never finished the game as i got fed up with it. Im not going into detail but some bits were fun but overall the story was just a mash of crap and i really REALLY didnt like it. I think i stopped at around chapter 11. I never really liked FF12 the first time i played it but the 2nd time around i actually quite enjoyed it. So i think to myself do i give it another chance or do i not. Theres so many good games coming out in the next few months. Borderlands 2 on Friday and resident evil 6 in novemeber. Your looking at about what? maybe 20 - 30 hours to finish this game playing mainly the story and avoiding crappy sidequests? At least for me itl be that long because i dont know the game well. So even if i find time when ive played all the games i wanna play and ive got the weekend off and can be bothered trying it again after work and im generally not busy with any other hobbies, do i really spend 20-30 hours on ff13. Thats a whole day man but its gunna be spread out over a couple of weeks. Do i wanna waste 2 weeks of free time playing through that crap again only to (more than likely) still think its shite?

The answer: nope

I cant believe they made a sequel to that and theyre planning a 13-3??????? Give up on a bad game square and how about trying to get versus finished. Or start something new altogether. Final Fantasy kinda ended with FFX for me. That was the last great game in my opinion. 12 was a good game but not quite on par with its older brothers and sisters.

So i say dont bother. Find another game to play. Theres plenty titles out there on the p3, 360 that are way better and waiting to be played.

During the tutorial Quistis gave outside the fire cavern.

No she just teaches you how to Junction magic. here's the game script outside the Fire Cavern

By junctioning magic, you can raise the character's stats. If the GF has learned the ability to junction onto stats, that particular stat will be displayed in white. By selecting Junction here, the GF and Magic commands will appear. You are able to junction magic by selecting Magic. When Magic is selected, a list of magic appears. Use the cursor to select which stat to junction. When Str is selected, choose a magic with the cursor. You can see how the stat value changes with each magic. When a magic is selected, the magic will be displayed next to the stat and the value will change. Only one magic can be assigned to each stat. However, there is no need to junction magic manually, one by one. Select Auto after junctioning. 'Auto' junctions magic automatically. There are 3 commands to choose from. Atk favors Strength, Mag favors magic, and Def favors raising HP. Thus, magic can be junctioned easily by using Auto. For example, let's select the Atk junction. Magic has been junctioned to favor Strength. This concludes the Magic Junction tutorial.

No she just teaches you how to Junction magic. here's the game script outside the Fire Cavern

By junctioning magic, you can raise the character's stats. If the GF has learned the ability to junction onto stats, that particular stat will be displayed in white. By selecting Junction here, the GF and Magic commands will appear. You are able to junction magic by selecting Magic. When Magic is selected, a list of magic appears. Use the cursor to select which stat to junction. When Str is selected, choose a magic with the cursor. You can see how the stat value changes with each magic. When a magic is selected, the magic will be displayed next to the stat and the value will change. Only one magic can be assigned to each stat. However, there is no need to junction magic manually, one by one. Select Auto after junctioning. 'Auto' junctions magic automatically. There are 3 commands to choose from. Atk favors Strength, Mag favors magic, and Def favors raising HP. Thus, magic can be junctioned easily by using Auto. For example, let's select the Atk junction. Magic has been junctioned to favor Strength. This concludes the Magic Junction tutorial.

Okay, I can't remember where it's mentioned but I'm sure it is. Truthfully it's been a while since I've played it but I'm sure it was mentioned at least once. Even if it's not mentioned though, it's not the same as what happens in XIII though because 'para-magic' is just the name for magic used by humans, which is mentioned and explained extensively in the game even if they never use it's official name. In XIII there are things you don't get told in the game that you need to know for it to make sense. You pretty much need to follow the datalog for the game to make sense. In VIII you don't need to look at the information at all for the game to make sense, because there's nothing in there that isn't mentioned (the word 'para-magic' might not be used, but it is explained) or needed for the game to make sense.

The first time I played VIII I never looked at that information in the menu or on the computer and everything made sense to me. In XIII I needed to follow the datalog or I would have been lost. I was lost even with following the datalog tbh.

I'm pretty damn sure that everything you can find and search for within FF VIII is explained without the manual. The manual just adds extra information towards it. Unlike FF XIII just just adds a random event like a flying goddess using magic and then say " here, read the manual " !

There's a difference between " Rinoa's mother Julia died when she was young... BTW did you know it was her that wrote the song Eyes on Me ? "

and " Heeeers a random flying goddess that is shooting through the aaaiirr and here's another one; oh BTW did you know her name was blah blah and she's actually important to the plot " ?
-__-

I gave it a second chance, I actually ended up enjoying it.
Does it compare to the Final Fantasy games of old? No.
As always leading the way in the graphic department, but as the series has gone on it has lost that wonderful feel in the storylines.

I'm pretty damn sure that everything you can find and search for within FF VIII is explained without the manual. The manual just adds extra information towards it. Unlike FF XIII just just adds a random event like a flying goddess using magic and then say " here, read the manual " !

There's a difference between " Rinoa's mother Julia died when she was young... BTW did you know it was her that wrote the song Eyes on Me ? "

and " Heeeers a random flying goddess that is shooting through the aaaiirr and here's another one; oh BTW did you know her name was blah blah and she's actually important to the plot " ?
-__-

Already knew that.

8 never explained who Hyne was, they never explained the "Succession of Sorceress/Witch Power", Ultimecia's motive is ignored, you gotta figure that out yourself

Back