Why Compilation of Final Fantasy VII "wasn't" a failure.

Razberry Knight

Paladin
Veteran
Gil
Here's my reason as to why Final Fantasy VII wasn't a failure (or at least most of it). And i'll go through game per game, film by film.

For one, i think too many people expected it to be equal to the original, too many people expected them to be as good as the main games. No one was taking them for what they really were.

Advent Children: I admit, i'm disapointed on this one as much as any other fan who is. But again, at least it picked itself off somewhere. I think it hurts more that certain scenes werent as epic and reno and rude's movements were a little stiff. overall, if those who embrace it as a film that compliments ff7 it would be good. Or just some fan service. I'm not gonna lie, it was a good film at first, but it just doesn't have a lot of replay value.

Dirge of Cerberus:This was a good game. It was pretty consistent and had great extras. I keep hearing it was a horrible FPS game, but to be honest, was it even the first person shooter aspect that was the core of the gameplay. it didn't seem like it to me. it started off being third person shooter, and even then it didn't focus completely on the shooting aspects, because you still get hand to hand combat and use one of Vincent's limit break. I personally find it to be a good game, but in this case i honestly dont see how fans hate it.

Crisis Core: it was good, sure zack was annoying and certain scenes were left out that not even Zack knew. I can definitely see why fans didn't like it story-wise, but not hate it. Overall it was good, and the ending was even more emotional then what the original lead Zack's death to be. What ididn't like about it was that it was revealing the past of genesis, Angeal, and Sephiroth through the eyes of Zack more than it actually being the story of Zack Fair. But it was still entertaining and it was still great game.

The main point is, each game was made as a spin off, not as main games. They're not Final Fantasy VII-0, VII-2, VII-3. You can't expect spin offs to equal the original

oh well....feel free to state your opinion.

Last edited:
It wasn't a failure as in the company got money and all the games and the movie sold well; but the games and movie are total crap. Yeah even Crisis Core which for some reason gets a good fan reaction and good reviewer scores which imo is a total and complete mystery.

Advent Children : Way to change something that didn't need to be fixed. You know the classic line, don't fix what doesn't need fixing ? Advent Children is a example of this. Final Fantasy VII and it's characters were fine; so why turn Reno into a clown and 'yaoi' over Rude ? Why turn Cloud into a depressing emo boy when he faced and defeated his demons at the end of FF VII ? Why turn Tifa into a dull and boring housewife ? It's just a poor choice and a really bad idea. Plus the storyline was way too confusing on newbies that were new into FF VII and would of had people lost. The only high and good points of the movie were the well-done Motorbike Chase and Vincent- a character that stayed the same, minus the " LOLZ CELLPHONEZ " joke near the end. :facepaw:

DOC : I don't think I need to explain why this game was bad. Square was just really new to shooters and they tried too much too " Dante " Vincent. Again SE tried to "fix '' a character that didn't need to be bloody fixed. Vincent was fine. He was deep, poetic, hidden, enigmatic and mysterious. Not a whiny depressive emo boy that DOC made him out to be. Plus the Shelke x Vincent-ness that the game throws at you is extremely creepy.

Crisis Core : I've already ranted about why this game is overrated and somehow manages to get away with all it's major flaws. But Fleur has already explained it best. It's linear, has dull missions, crappy new characters, damages the original canon, Aerith is completely broken, kicked and is now left hopping on crutches because her character has been changed so badly. And the only really good thing about the game is Zack; but he somehow gets attention for being a ''outgoing'' hero which seems rare when it's actually isn't. Laguna Loire anybody ? Zidane Tribal ?
The ending was well-done though. I'll give it points for that and "Why " is one of my favorite songs. The only reason why I've kept this game is because of cute young Cloud and Zack and their friendship throughout the game. Oh and the Zack VS Sephiroth fight is amazing.

It wasn't a failure as in the company got money and all the games and the movie sold well; but the games and movie are total crap. Yeah even Crisis Core which for some reason gets a good fan reaction and good reviewer scores which imo is a total and complete mystery.

Advent Children : Way to change something that didn't need to be fixed. You know the classic line, don't fix what doesn't need fixing ? Advent Children is a example of this. Final Fantasy VII and it's characters were fine; so why turn Reno into a clown and 'yaoi' over Rude ? Why turn Cloud into a depressing emo boy when he faced and defeated his demons at the end of FF VII ? Why turn Tifa into a dull and boring housewife ? It's just a poor choice and a really bad idea. Plus the storyline was way too confusing on newbies that were new into FF VII and would of had people lost. The only high and good points of the movie were the well-done Motorbike Chase and Vincent- a character that stayed the same, minus the " LOLZ CELLPHONEZ " joke near the end. :facepaw:

DOC : I don't think I need to explain why this game was bad. Square was just really new to shooters and they tried too much too " Dante " Vincent. Again SE tried to "fix '' a character that didn't need to be bloody fixed. Vincent was fine. He was deep, poetic, hidden, enigmatic and mysterious. Not a whiny depressive emo boy that DOC made him out to be. Plus the Shelke x Vincent-ness that the game throws at you is extremely creepy.

Crisis Core : I've already ranted about why this game is overrated and somehow manages to get away with all it's major flaws. But Fleur has already explained it best. It's linear, has dull missions, crappy new characters, damages the original canon, Aerith is completely broken, kicked and is now left hopping on crutches because her character has been changed so badly. And the only really good thing about the game is Zack; but he somehow gets attention for being a ''outgoing'' hero which seems rare when it's actually isn't. Laguna Loire anybody ? Zidane Tribal ?
The ending was well-done though. I'll give it points for that and "Why " is one of my favorite songs. The only reason why I've kept this game is because of cute young Cloud and Zack and their friendship throughout the game. Oh and the Zack VS Sephiroth fight is amazing.

Advent Children:I dont consider it as changing but more as expanding.

Not a house wife, and even then, what more can she do when theres peace? It's not like they were like that during the entire movie. Cloud is a delivery boy. What else should he be? A mercinary? for what? what conflict? There are bigger reasons to NOT like Advent Children, but the ones you mentioned are just plain sad. really, it's not that you're trying to show Compilation of Final Fantasy VII for what it is, but for tiny subjective things that make it all bad. And there is no yaoi between Reno and Rude. I dont even know what you were seeing but it looks like you didn't even want to give it a chance.

As for Digre of Cerberus:

What was so bad about the shooting aspects? Again, it wasn't completely revolved around shooting though it was the core element, but even then i dont see what was WRONG with it.

Vincent had his connections to Sephiroth, he wasn't as "enigmatic" or all that "mysterious". Sure, you can choose to ignore what was already there in the original Final Fantasy VII, however even then it's no excuse against the story. Dirge of Cerberus didn't change Vincent, he was still just as "enigmatic" and "mysterious". He wasn't a depressed emo boy in Dirge of Cerberus. He hardly showed any emotion at all. Unlses you are referring to the time he was a turk, then it really wasn't something to go mad about. It's like being angry for what Cloud was in Crisis Core, and sadly some people whine about it.

The only "dante" part is that he had his Chaos form, that really was already hinted from the original Final Fantasy VII. IN fact, the original Final Fantasy VII hinted alot towards Vincent's past to get Chaos form. It looks nothing close to Dante, though i admit the two are similar, but weren't they always similar? just one turned into a more werewolf and the other a demon. Only in this case now Vincent has another form thats "demon" like. However, it doesn't fully affect him as a character negatively.

And speaking about Crisis Core:

Fleur did a horrible job for the most part. Some parts i can sympathize, but others were just plain ignorance over how the system worked. And complaints for more subjective things (things he can control but would rather turn it into negative)

Linearity isn't the problem with side games. and these are side games, not full-fledge main series level games. linearity was in ALL of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII Games. One can even argue that Dirge of Cerberus was more linear than Crisis Core. The reason why many argue against linearity on main series is because we EXPECT more from the main series than on a side game. Are we going to argue that the original Dissidia had that issue? Or how about Theatrythm? So any game part of the main series is
Linearity isn't the problem with side games. and these are side games, not full-fledge main series level games. linearity was in ALL of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII Games. One can even argue that Dirge of Cerberus was more linear than Crisis Core. The reason why many argue against linearity on main series is because we EXPECT more from the main series than on a side game. We expect to not have linearity on games such as FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. which is why XIII was a bigger disapointment than Compilation of Final Fantasy VII

Dull missions wasn't really an issue. Some were extremely difficult, especially on your first time through the story and maybe not even new game+ will help you beat all of them. As for Aerith, i really didn't see an issue, she seemed young and compared to original Aerith, i never really saw that much of a difference. But then again like i have been saying for probably the 50th time, Final Fantasy VII had no voice acting, no clear facial expressions, and the graphics weren't that great. It was all self interpret. to me, she didn't seem that different. But even then, if she was then most likely it was intentional. You're not the same person seven years ago.

But overall, like i said, these aren't full-fledge main games, but smaller games that all connect. Though i think what hurts the compilation of Final Fantasy VII is not having Before Crisis which connects to Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus. But still, these games may have not been the greatest games of all time, or can even compare to the main series (which you would be stupid if you tried) but just meeting the satisfactory level for spin-off, side-game level.

The reason why many argue against linearity on main series is because we EXPECT more from the main series than on a side game. We expect to not have linearity on games such as FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. which is why XIII was a bigger disapointment than Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.

All FF games are linear. To me everything in or regarding the Crapilation was ass.

All FF games are linear. To me everything in or regarding the Crapilation was ass.

you know what i meant by linearity. all games are, but here its the lack of options, in which most of these games "couldn't" provide that.

Advent Children

Honestly this movie was made for 100% action, the story behind it was poorly shown in the movie. Even with the expanded blu-ray edition, The movies story plot was very poor. You had 3 bad guys trying to find pieces of Jenova that Rufas had who somehow survived a attack from the WEAPON, from the top of Shinra building. Then Rufas somehow tricks them into thinking Cloud had it, while this is going on there is a Geostigma disease going on that was caused by Sephiroth or Jevova being in the life stream supposedly, yet Jenova was in the life stream for XXX years, and Sephiroth was in there for a good 5 years, so that part seems untrue. and while all this is going on, Cloud has turned into a loner, refusing to let anyone in, and you would think that after all that they went through that Cloud wouldnt be like that.

If you are going watch this for a good story plot, I would say forget it, if you wanna watch it for a lot of cool action sequences, that would be your best bet.

As for as DoC is concerned, I didn't like the gameplay, but it did have a little story to add to the mystery behind Vincent, although it leaves you with a few wondering questions, that is all I can say about this game, some will like the gameplay some wont.

Crisis Core... where to begin..

Firstly level up system...Sucks, lets play slots and hope you level up.... no point in really fighting to level up, just watch the slots roll and hope for the best.... Lame

Secondly Genesis... Basically This game made it seem like Genesis did all the controlling on Sephiroth, and Sephiroth only really went crazy cause Genesis pushed him to that point, and tried to take away from what some people consider the best villain in the FF series ( I don't think so, but I'm not going argue it.)

Zack talks about being a hero way more than Snow, and yet people hate Snow and like Zack... Can someone explain this one to me? In fact, I wanna know why he was shown talking to Cloud about being his "living legend" cause Cloud seemed normal at that point again, Cloud should of still been in his Mako educed state or whatever you wanna call it, so that it could make sense why Cloud thought he was Zack more.

Overall, I don't like the games, and the movie I will watch just to see a cool fight scene, I can see why some people like these games, and they were very commercially successful, but they weren't for me. That simple.

Firstly level up system...Sucks, lets play slots and hope you level up.... no point in really fighting to level up, just watch the slots roll and hope for the best.... Lame

Secondly Genesis... Basically This game made it seem like Genesis did all the controlling on Sephiroth, and Sephiroth only really went crazy cause Genesis pushed him to that point, and tried to take away from what some people consider the best villain in the FF series ( I don't think so, but I'm not going argue it.)

Zack talks about being a hero way more than Snow, and yet people hate Snow and like Zack... Can someone explain this one to me? In fact, I wanna know why he was shown talking to Cloud about being his "living legend" cause Cloud seemed normal at that point again, Cloud should of still been in his Mako educed state or whatever you wanna call it, so that it could make sense why Cloud thought he was Zack more.

Yes thankyou so much for this Shuce ! Yes the Crisis Core leveling up system was just based on pure luck, so yeah what is the point in leveling up at all ?

It's just seems so dumb and pointless.

And yeah they made Genesis exteremly important to the game and series when he was just a annoying pop-in character, a character that's new just for the sake of being new. He wasn't even in the bloody original game which means that the original story plot has been changed just because SE wanted to add in basically Gacket into the Final Fantasy VII series. No, Sephiroth went crazy because Sephiroth believed that he was Jenova's son, not because Gacket a J-pop or K-pop star whatever pushed him to madness. You know how retarted that sounds ?

Yes exaclty ! Why do people hate Snow and like Zack when they both have Naruto syndrome ? It doesn't make sense ! Yes good point, Cloud was back to normal when Zack died while in the original game he was still ill; even when he met Tifa at the train station in Midgar Cloud will still really ill and couldn't really all that move. It wasn't until Tifa showed up that he slowly started to come together again; but it was slow. In CC at the ending he was stable and could feel human emotions and even cry without trouble.

Crisis Core just takes a huge shite on the original canon and people enjoy it for some strange reason. And yeah imo if you dislike Snow and love and adore Zack I think you should do some backpedding and some re-thinking somewhat.

Advent Children:I dont consider it as changing but more as expanding.

Not a house wife, and even then, what more can she do when theres peace? It's not like they were like that during the entire movie. Cloud is a delivery boy. What else should he be? A mercinary? for what? what conflict? There are bigger reasons to NOT like Advent Children, but the ones you mentioned are just plain sad. really, it's not that you're trying to show Compilation of Final Fantasy VII for what it is, but for tiny subjective things that make it all bad. And there is no yaoi between Reno and Rude. I dont even know what you were seeing but it looks like you didn't even want to give it a chance. .

But why expand when everything is already fine ? Tifa in the original game was a shy yet tough woman and in AC she's basically taking care of Denzel and Marlene and when Loz comes around she can't fight for crap because she hasn't fought in ages and she's rusty. But there is no peace; Shrina wants to revive it's broken company and there's a diease going around like the old medievil Black Plauge seriously killing people in tons of pain. Yet she's sitting at home, washing the dishes and waiting for Cloud to return ? Why ? It seems so pointless and very un- Tifa like. Imo, the original game Tifa would of joined up with Barret to help the sick and ill and not be a 1950's housewife waiting for her man to return home.

Oh yes there is yaoi between Rude and Reno, re-watch the bomb scence during the motorbike chase. They're hard out flirting with each other.

I've given AC tons of chances and I've watched in countless of times; so no I have given it tons and tons of chances. I though that it was awesome way back in 06 but now that I've grown up a little bit I've come to realize how flawed it is.

As for Digre of Cerberus:

What was so bad about the shooting aspects? Again, it wasn't completely revolved around shooting though it was the core element, but even then i dont see what was WRONG with it. .

From what I remember DoC had bad controls and bad camera angles. :mokken:

Vincent had his connections to Sephiroth, he wasn't as "enigmatic" or all that "mysterious".

Err yes he was. Have you played the original game at all ?

"Our battlefield is now beneath the earth. The gate to tomorrow is not the light of heaven, but the darkness of the depths of the earth."
(FFVII)​

^ That's some deep shi* right there.:grin:

Sure, you can choose to ignore what was already there in the original Final Fantasy VII, however even then it's no excuse against the story. Dirge of Cerberus didn't change Vincent, he was still just as "enigmatic" and "mysterious". He wasn't a depressed emo boy in Dirge of Cerberus. He hardly showed any emotion at all. Unlses you are referring to the time he was a turk, then it really wasn't something to go mad about. It's like being angry for what Cloud was in Crisis Core, and sadly some people whine about it.

No he wasn't he moaned and complained like a sad emo boy stereotype. In the original game Vincent was deep and potetic. In Doc all he did was rant about Lucredia and his sins.

" That was my sin and this is my punishment " - Quote Vincent Doc

No wonder people make emo jokes about Vincent and Cloud these days. :ffs:

Fleur did a horrible job for the most part. Some parts i can sympathize, but others were just plain ignorance over how the system worked. And complaints for more subjective things (things he can control but would rather turn it into negative

You're kidding right ? She got down what was wrong with the game down 100 per cent. Uhm, no. What system ? A lousy system based on luck ? As Shuce what is the hell of the point of leveling up or even trainning in battles ? It's just dumb.

Linearity isn't the problem with side games. and these are side games, not full-fledge main series level games. linearity was in ALL of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII Games. One can even argue that Dirge of Cerberus was more linear than Crisis Core. The reason why many argue against linearity on main series is because we EXPECT more from the main series than on a side game. Are we going to argue that the original Dissidia had that issue? Or how about Theatrythm? So any game part of the main series is

It can be; like Crisis COre for a example. It's just basically a straight line. It's like Final Fantasy XIII expect worse. Just because it's a side game doesn't mean that it should be forgiven for flaws, mistakes and errors. It's a game and should be judge like a game. No Dissidia you had freedom to either do party battles or do the main storyline with any character that you desire; it gave you choice. Same with Theatrhythm. You can either start with Final Fantasy I or do it in order or favourites or whatever; it has freedom and choice. Unlike Crisis Core and DoC.

We expect to not have linearity on games such as FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. which is why XIII was a bigger disapointment than Compilation of Final Fantasy VII

You're kidding right ? Final Fantasy XIII was less linear than Crisis Core because it opens up near the last few chapters; Crisis Core doesn't open up at all. Plus FF 1- FF7 etc are not linear games. Example FF9 you start out in Alexandria and head back there at CD 3. You're not following a straight line. Plus Lindblum you go back there many times for storyline purposes you just don't say " Hi " and then jump to the next pathway and then never see Lindblum or Alexandria again.

Dull missions wasn't really an issue. Some were extremely difficult, especially on your first time through the story and maybe not even new game+ will help you beat all of them.

You're kidding right ? Most of them were all the same so what was the point of doing them ? Lets help Hojo defeat a monster or Yuffie find a treasure in the exact same place that we were before. Yaaay ? Uhm, no. :hmph:

As for Aerith, i really didn't see an issue, she seemed young and compared to original Aerith, i never really saw that much of a difference. But then again like i have been saying for probably the 50th time, Final Fantasy VII had no voice acting, no clear facial expressions, and the graphics weren't that great. It was all self interpret. to me, she didn't seem that different. But even then, if she was then most likely it was intentional. You're not the same person seven years ago..

Just because FF VII didn't have voice acting and bad graphics doesn't mean that the characters had personality ! That's like saying that old black and white movies from the early 20's and such; the characters in those movies didn't have persona because they didn't take and it wasn't in colour. And yeah Aerith's character in CC was exteremly broken. She was scared of the sky for crying out loud. Aerith in FF VII was a brave, street-smart and flirty chick and she could fight monsters with no trouble. CC Aerith would need help moving just in case a stone on the floor looked at her evily.

Plus she needed experience in order to become street-wise and use a weapon. Don't tell me she picked all that up in seven years. Including when she was frighted of a sky; so how would CC Aerith want to gain the courage to pick up a staff and learn about dangerous things such as the Wall Market ? I don't see it; I don't see it all. Zack may of given her some confidence, but only to sell flowers and that pink suits her.

But overall, like i said, these aren't full-fledge main games, but smaller games that all connect. .

I know but it doesn't mean that they should be forgiven for being awful and terrible. Should Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories be forgiven for being awful and clunky too ?

Last edited:
And speaking about Crisis Core:

Fleur did a horrible job for the most part. Some parts i can sympathize, but others were just plain ignorance over how the system worked. And complaints for more subjective things (things he can control but would rather turn it into negative)

I couldn't help but notice my mentioning here.

If you're able to overlook the fact that the game practically relinquishes a set of controls from the player, then be my guest. By inserting in a DMW system, that even if it offered the illusion of luck, was still a gameplay element designed to be like one of those Japanese pachinko machines. You're still going to need to be "lucky" or have enough Cissneis to level up Materia, activate limit breaks and summons, and an element of luck embedded into any gameplay is to take an axe at a good chunk of the ability to fully strategise and make maximum use of what you have at your disposal. In other words, the player becomes only half-involved in the battles because they can't bloody choose. Outside of battles, players can perhaps make some useful superficial add-ons with materia fusion and equipping new accessories, and that's pretty much it.

That isn't strategy when a good Bahamut or two could have come in handy when you needed higher-calibre firepower during a boss fight, only for your DMW slots to fail you in that battle, and for successful jackpots to occur in some subsequent random mook fight when a series of X-tapping could have easily disposed of them just as quickly. And if there's anything I hate, it's a game showing me some of the things I should be able to do, only to deny me the keys to them. It's conspicuously tactically shallow. And it was a damn good thing that I could skip the memory scenes whenever the DMW hits a jackpot. I don't know how long my sanity could have lasted, seeing the same, relatively lifeless out-of-context cutscenes over and over again.

Most of the time, yes! I was spamming the X button, often over the same "attack" command. Sure, I was also sporadically dodging, curing and throwing the odd fireball or thunderbolt or two, but most of the time, I was able to get away with that. If I know an enemy is weak to an element, I'll just spam that element as opposed to "attack". Perhaps you can't get away with that on Hard mode, I don't know, because I had no incentive or desire to play through the game again. But from what I played, I was largely able to get away with it by treating the game as Dynasty Warriors, though I did like the basic positioning manoeuvres, otherwise I would have absolutely little use for the analogue stick during fights.

Dull missions wasn't really an issue. Some were extremely difficult, especially on your first time through the story and maybe not even new game+ will help you beat all of them.

It was an issue for me when I wondered why they couldn't have cut down on some of them to make time and effort to help make the core game a little bit more rewarding. No game needs hundreds of basic sidequest missions where the primary goal is to grab some unremarkable item at the end after leaving scores of dead monsters on the ground. I tried going through as many of them as I can, and while there were I found to be remarkably tough, the sea of missions I did accomplish amounted to just going around killing, killing, killing. It became quickly monotonous and I just stopped bothering.

And for the linearity, well, considering they originally conceived the game to be a pure action game, I suppose I should have expected that. Though if their other side game offerings like Type-0 can avoid being as restrictive despite being on the PSP, then ditto Crisis Core.

@_Rabbit I will just have to disagree on one point you made.. Aerith's evolution is completely legit, after Zack left and gave her some confidence (confidence not to be so afraid of the outside world ,etc) she started being pursued by shinra because they knew she was an ancient. Her survival instincts had to develop else she would have been caught by shinra earlier than the original game's events and 7 years is more than enough times to develop the skills and personality traits that she had in the beginning for FF7. The environment shapes our behaviour and thats what happened to her.

Also..To me Sephiroth's descent into madness was rather inappropriate in the 1st game, I thought that while it was plausible it was still a bit cloudy. I like the idea of Genesis being a Sephiroth prototype and teasing him to doing all the stuff he did, it gives sephiroth as a villain way more credibility because he is not a mentally stable person. If you ask me Crisis Core improved FF7 storyline not the other way around. But of course each to its own. If you want to interpret the way you want the game thats fine but based in my own interpretation I think its rather flawed but of course I could be the wrong one.

Regarding the gameplay flaws. I will have to agree that the RNG based system is rather lame but it didnt completely break it for me. I still had fun playing through the main story, doing some materia fusion, etc. The missions were rather monotonous and I didnt do more than 20% of them! If you try it on hard mode it will be a more strategic and rewarding experience.

Yes it had flaws but it was far from being bad. But of course I understand how people can dislike it.

Mod Edit: Please do not double-post. If you feel you need to add more to your post, use the edit post function. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't help but notice my mentioning here.

If you're able to overlook the fact that the game practically relinquishes a set of controls from the player, then be my guest. By inserting in a DMW system, that even if it offered the illusion of luck, was still a gameplay element designed to be like one of those Japanese pachinko machines. You're still going to need to be "lucky" or have enough Cissneis to level up Materia, activate limit breaks and summons, and an element of luck embedded into any gameplay is to take an axe at a good chunk of the ability to fully strategise and make maximum use of what you have at your disposal. In other words, the player becomes only half-involved in the battles because they can't bloody choose. Outside of battles, players can perhaps make some useful superficial add-ons with materia fusion and equipping new accessories, and that's pretty much it.

That isn't strategy when a good Bahamut or two could have come in handy when you needed higher-calibre firepower during a boss fight, only for your DMW slots to fail you in that battle, and for successful jackpots to occur in some subsequent random mook fight when a series of X-tapping could have easily disposed of them just as quickly. And if there's anything I hate, it's a game showing me some of the things I should be able to do, only to deny me the keys to them. It's conspicuously tactically shallow. And it was a damn good thing that I could skip the memory scenes whenever the DMW hits a jackpot. I don't know how long my sanity could have lasted, seeing the same, relatively lifeless out-of-context cutscenes over and over again.

Most of the time, yes! I was spamming the X button, often over the same "attack" command. Sure, I was also sporadically dodging, curing and throwing the odd fireball or thunderbolt or two, but most of the time, I was able to get away with that. If I know an enemy is weak to an element, I'll just spam that element as opposed to "attack". Perhaps you can't get away with that on Hard mode, I don't know, because I had no incentive or desire to play through the game again. But from what I played, I was largely able to get away with it by treating the game as Dynasty Warriors, though I did like the basic positioning manoeuvres, otherwise I would have absolutely little use for the analogue stick during fights.

It was an issue for me when I wondered why they couldn't have cut down on some of them to make time and effort to help make the core game a little bit more rewarding. No game needs hundreds of basic sidequest missions where the primary goal is to grab some unremarkable item at the end after leaving scores of dead monsters on the ground. I tried going through as many of them as I can, and while there were I found to be remarkably tough, the sea of missions I did accomplish amounted to just going around killing, killing, killing. It became quickly monotonous and I just stopped bothering.

And for the linearity, well, considering they originally conceived the game to be a pure action game, I suppose I should have expected that. Though if their other side game offerings like Type-0 can avoid being as restrictive despite being on the PSP, then ditto Crisis Core.

i'm still sticking with my main point, because the game has its flawed, but wasn't horrible, and was very satisfying for those who accept it for what it was.

plus, the spamming X? thats like sayying you're spamming the analog stick to go forward

I'm probably gonna have to agree with both parties on the Compilation of FFVII. I havn't played Before Crisis or After Crisis but I have played DOC, CC and watched AC. Dirge of Cerberus honestly I went into the game not expecting to much because it is obvious that squenix is just trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of the FF7 franchise. That being said I did enjoy DOC. The gameplay wasn't the greatest (I've never been much of a fan of shooters anyways) but the story was good. On CC I think the gameplay was a little bit better going back to a traditional melee style of fighting which I enjoy more than shooters. I really hated the "Battle Commence" shit though every time I got into a new battle. I mean it's not 1996 anymore. I thought the story was interesting and honestly it is just fun to play the world of FF7 in better graphics than PS.
Advent Children, I will agree the story was quite odd, nonetheless it was cool watching all of my favorite FF7 characters in a 2-hour cinematic movie. If you only watch it for the fight scenes that is enough for me.

I'm probably gonna have to agree with both parties on the Compilation of FFVII. I havn't played Before Crisis or After Crisis but I have played DOC, CC and watched AC. Dirge of Cerberus honestly I went into the game not expecting to much because it is obvious that squenix is just trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of the FF7 franchise. That being said I did enjoy DOC. The gameplay wasn't the greatest (I've never been much of a fan of shooters anyways) but the story was good. On CC I think the gameplay was a little bit better going back to a traditional melee style of fighting which I enjoy more than shooters. I really hated the "Battle Commence" shit though every time I got into a new battle. I mean it's not 1996 anymore. I thought the story was interesting and honestly it is just fun to play the world of FF7 in better graphics than PS.
Advent Children, I will agree the story was quite odd, nonetheless it was cool watching all of my favorite FF7 characters in a 2-hour cinematic movie. If you only watch it for the fight scenes that is enough for me.
Im not into shootersyself but SE did a good job making the shooting aspects casual enough to earm some skill. Especially on the extra missions. Other than that i agree almost 100% because you took them from what you were.

For the record there is no after crisis but i think the original ff7 could be considered such

Advent Children

Honestly this movie was made for 100% action, the story behind it was poorly shown in the movie. Even with the expanded blu-ray edition, The movies story plot was very poor. You had 3 bad guys trying to find pieces of Jenova that Rufas had who somehow survived a attack from the WEAPON, from the top of Shinra building. Then Rufas somehow tricks them into thinking Cloud had it, while this is going on there is a Geostigma disease going on that was caused by Sephiroth or Jevova being in the life stream supposedly, yet Jenova was in the life stream for XXX years, and Sephiroth was in there for a good 5 years, so that part seems untrue. and while all this is going on, Cloud has turned into a loner, refusing to let anyone in, and you would think that after all that they went through that Cloud wouldnt be like that.

If you are going watch this for a good story plot, I would say forget it, if you wanna watch it for a lot of cool action sequences, that would be your best bet.

As for as DoC is concerned, I didn't like the gameplay, but it did have a little story to add to the mystery behind Vincent, although it leaves you with a few wondering questions, that is all I can say about this game, some will like the gameplay some wont.

Overall, I don't like the games, and the movie I will watch just to see a cool fight scene, I can see why some people like these games, and they were very commercially successful, but they weren't for me. That simple.

Pretty much everything this guy said. I'm by no means a fan of XIII but I don't understand why it's considered the worst FF in the series while Crisis Core, which shared many of the same flaws, receives more praise than the PS1 game it's based on.

Back