Lightning Returns General Discussion Thread

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
UPDATE: Oct 2013

*Moved to Lightning Returns: FFXIII subforum
General discussion for this game can be posted here. Please refrain from posting spoilers.

---

As some of you may have already heard, the third entry in the FFXIII series, Lightning saga, has just been announced.
http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/t...r-Changes-to-the-Series’-Formula-Ends-Trilogy

What do you think about the announcement? Will you buy it? Are you looking forward to it? What do you think about the various aspects revealed so far? The art, direction, world, character and gameplay? Should this game deserve to exist at all? What are your expectations? What do you think will happen in the game? How do you think the gameplay and world will be like?

For future reference, refrain from posting major spoilers in the thread. When spoilers start to surface as we near the release date, I will create a separate spoiler discussion thread.

Also, nearer to the release date, a LR:FFXIII subforum may be created.

---

I have mixed feelings about this announcement. I feel that everything in this game except Lightning and the (probably) very vague FFXIII/XIII-2 references, should be developed into a FFXV instead.

People with an unbiased mind should probably realise how much details and effort they have already put into the world. You can't really argue that they will recycle majority of XIII/XIII-2 into this. Look at the concept arts. Look at the potentially decent gameplay. Look at the world exploration. Almost everything sound decent. EXCEPT that it has the FFXIII title (which will turn off those who dislike FFXIII) and the overused Lightning marketing strategy.

Basically, I am actually quite excited to find out more about this new world. But at the same time, don't you think that it is ruining FFXIII's story even further? FFXIII-2 literally destroys FFXIII's world and story via the universe collapsing ending. Now the fact that this random (but beautiful) world just came out of the blue, with mostly different art style and gameplay, Lightning becoming ridiculously powerful, etc, really make me even more skeptical about the team's ability in proper storytelling.

It's as if SE is trying to make a new game altogether, but feels that Lightning will help them get more profits, so she's made the protagonist even though she's literally alien to this world (she woke up in a completely different world, not unlike Tidus, Vanille/Fang).

I have a strong feeling that there will be very little references to the events in XIII-2, and the mythology be twisted even more for the worse. I am also expecting only cameo appearances by the FFXIII/XIII-2 cast. I am curious how Toriyama will think of reasons as to why there's still 'time' when chaos actually destroys the timeline. As to why there are still people living in the world. As to why this world came into existence in the first place. As to why the Gods, Yeul and Caius (as a matter of fact, I also doubt that Caius and Yeul will even be mentioned more than once in this game) are linked to this strange turn of events. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, How can the world end AGAIN when it already ends in FFXIII-2'S ending??? (endception. It doesn't make sense :ffs:).

Actually, if done right, the above questions can be answered properly by a good writer. But I really doubt the current SE team is able to pull it off without being too cheesy. Otherwise, the gameplay doesn't seem to be the problem anymore. It sounds fun and immersive so far (except that I hope it won't be too action-ish as I am bad at such games).

However, I will reserve my true judgment on the game and the XIII series as a whole, when I eventually see more information and play the game.

Last edited:
I like Lightning, I think she's a good character, so more of her is always welcome.

The gameplay sounds cool, and there is some experimentation which might pay off.

I am sad that the setting is so far away from XIII, and the original family of characters. I mean many of us are also huge fans of Fang, Vanille, Noel etc. (i'm a huge Snow fan, really wanted to see more from him in this)

But the thing is, it's far too early to tell.

The 13 day cycle sounds interesting, but I mean how will that work in terms of Grinding?

Will it be like in Majora's mask, where you can slow down or reverse time?

We need more information, but at the moment it's interesting, that's about all I can say

What I like:

• ...I'm a bit skeptical about everything tbh. :ahmed:
  • Oh wait, the open world sounds interesting!

What I dislike:
  • They mentioned Facebook... I am not using my Facebook with my personal details to play XIII-3.
  • The game occurs hundreds of years after FFXIII-2...in which the entire timeline was destroyed. How on earth does that work? I'm pretty sure the 'entire timeline' was said to contain every single world, their pasts, presents and futures. I will await further details before I pass judgment, but first impressions aren't good. They could have tied up this series nicely, bringing XIII and XIII-2 together. Instead, it seems they're going for three very different games. I had faith in Toriyama! I thought there was sense behind his decisions and he'd wrap everything up nicely in XIII-3. But I feel sufficiently trolled, primarily by the lack of information which is making me imagine the absolute worst!
  • Based on what Toriyama has said, the gamer will only play as Lightning. She wakes up in an entirely new world. Both of these suggest we won't see Serah, Noel, Sahz, Caius, Yeul or Hope. I loved those characters! Caius and Yeul were very interesting. Caius was a three dimensional villain and Yeul had an ambigious personality; the ending and DLC makes me question whether she is the true villain. Noel was a strong character too. He had his baggage, but he was an honest, determined and loving man. Serah was a beautiful, strong young woman - much better than her sister! Sahz was very 'human' character.
  • The world is going to be detroyed in 13 days... I want to enjoy the game at my own pace! If you can reverse the clock, as you could in Majora's Mask, then that's fine, but if you can't, the whole experience will just be stressful. What if you invest 40 hours, only to find the world ends and it's Game Over? Sure, you can retry, but what if the issue is linked to something you did 10 hours into the game? :gasp:

What I'm not fussed about:
  • The gameplay. It sounds more interesting and dynamic than the gameplay in XIII/XIII-2, but I would have preferred a more traditional system. I've said this before but...bring back the system from FFX!
  • Customising Lightning. Sure, it's a nice feature, but limited customisation has never added all that much to the gaming experience for me. It's sort of a semi-fun bonus. :lew:

I am sorry fellow FFXIII/XIII-2 fans. I really do hope they pull this off, but the information so far is frightening and fills me with doubt. If XIII-3 is terrible, I'll still love XIII and XIII-2 (those games are fantastic!) but I will always lament the fact Square failed to provide a decent ending.

I don't care about Lightning's sojourn. I care about Pulse, Cocoon and the people who live there! I want to keep on journeying with all of them! :sad3:

If XIII-3 is a flop, I am going to write my very own ending! :grin: I shall call it 'Final Fantasy XIII-3: The Official Ending Toriyama Misplaced'

Last edited:
As some of you may have already heard, the third entry in the FFXIII series, Lightning saga, has just been announced.
http://www.finalfantasyforums.net/threads/54445-01-09-Lightning-Returns-FFXIII-Makes-Major-Changes-to-the-Series%E2%80%99-Formula-Ends-Trilogy

What do you think about the announcement? Will you buy it? Are you looking forward to it? What do you think about the various aspects revealed so far? The art, direction, world, character and gameplay? Should this game deserve to exist at all? What are your expectations? What do you think will happen in the game? How do you think the gameplay and world will be like?

For future reference, refrain from posting major spoilers in the thread. When spoilers start to surface as we near the release date, I will create a separate spoiler discussion thread.

Also, nearer to the release date, a LR:FFXIII subforum may be created.

---

I have mixed feelings about this announcement. I feel that everything in this game except Lightning and the (probably) very vague FFXIII/XIII-2 references, should be developed into a FFXV instead.

People with an unbiased mind should probably realise how much details and effort they have already put into the world. You can't really argue that they will recycle majority of XIII/XIII-2 into this. Look at the concept arts. Look at the potentially decent gameplay. Look at the world exploration. Almost everything sound decent. EXCEPT that it has the FFXIII title (which will turn off those who dislike FFXIII) and the overused Lightning marketing strategy.

Basically, I am actually quite excited to find out more about this new world. But at the same time, don't you think that it is ruining FFXIII's story even further? FFXIII-2 literally destroys FFXIII's world and story via the universe collapsing ending. Now the fact that this random (but beautiful) world just came out of the blue, with mostly different art style and gameplay, Lightning becoming ridiculously powerful, etc, really make me even more skeptical about the team's ability in proper storytelling.

It's as if SE is trying to make a new game altogether, but feels that Lightning will help them get more profits, so she's made the protagonist even though she's literally alien to this world (she woke up in a completely different world, not unlike Tidus, Vanille/Fang).

I have a strong feeling that there will be very little references to the events in XIII-2, and the mythology be twisted even more for the worse. I am also expecting only cameo appearances by the FFXIII/XIII-2 cast. I am curious how Toriyama will think of reasons as to why there's still 'time' when chaos actually destroys the timeline. As to why there are still people living in the world. As to why this world came into existence in the first place. As to why the Gods, Yeul and Caius (as a matter of fact, I also doubt that Caius and Yeul will even be mentioned more than once in this game) are linked to this strange turn of events. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, How can the world end AGAIN when it already ends in FFXIII-2'S ending??? (endception. It doesn't make sense :ffs:).

Actually, if done right, the above questions can be answered properly by a good writer. But I really doubt the current SE team is able to pull it off without being too cheesy. Otherwise, the gameplay doesn't seem to be the problem anymore. It sounds fun and immersive so far (except that I hope it won't be too action-ish as I am bad at such games).

However, I will reserve my true judgment on the game and the XIII series as a whole, when I eventually see more information and play the game.

Well I am liking the game design what has been said, to me the battle system feels like a combo of FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts for totally movement and button based commands. I understand your worries on the lore of the previous entries being mentioned but I feel like there will be some sort of beginning cutscene with a monologue from Lightning explaining the events or something. It would be daft of them not to...By the way....can I make a thread for this game as like a hub to all information regarding it, so it is in one place...bit like a sticky thread. Or if you want to channel it all here that would be fine, I feel like I want to do something like this for the community :P

... I've said this before but...bring back the system from FFX!
Yes. Thank you.

Anyway, like I've already said, this will surely be a financial success, but a bomb in the other aspects. (I foresee mixed reception by critics, and even more mixed by the fans.)

The plot was ruined with XIII-2, so this title will only add insult to injury. The "time" and/or "dimension" concept worked much better in VIII and I, quite honestly; it feels like they simply threw the concept in for appeal's sake. (Anything to do with time is usually pretty attractive to the fiction fans.) It was sloppily inserted, and raised a huge red flag.

Gameplay-wise, I think SE would've been better off sticking with the original XIII's mechanics, even for XIII-2. She's not Ezio, Snake, the Prince, and etc, so don't make her out to be.

And again, the title screams baw. It's lazy and amateur.

Yes. Thank you.

Anyway, like I've already said, this will surely be a financial success, but a bomb in the other aspects. (I foresee mixed reception by critics, and even more mixed by the fans.).

And therein lies the problem. If the games sell, there'll be more like them. So if people are so cross about these games, those people need to stop blaming SE and start blaming people who keep buying the stuff they put out.

Also:
http://finalfantasythings.tumblr.com/post/30675160842

Last edited:
And therein lies the problem. If the games sell, there'll be more like them. So if people are so cross about these games, those people need to stop blaming SE and start blaming people who keep buying the stuff they put out.

Also:
tumblr_lz39ljqkxV1rp9vb7o1_500.png
Love the image. :ryan:

But what you say is true, which is sad. Therein lies that fact that the series is simply a cash cow for SE, regardless of the quality they present.

WlG4o.jpg

What? Someone had to make that joke. :ahmed:

I think it's kind of funny. You have a number of people who genuinely enjoyed FFXIII and/or FFXIII-2 being a bit reserved and apprehensive towards this new direction, yet here I am, actually cautiously optimistic for this, because it's something a bit different.

That doesn't mean I'm going to be all positive and sugar-and-rainbows about this though, because unless they've done a lot of outsourcing or let another team do extensive pre-production work, we're looking at a development time shorter than even that of FFXIII-2 for this game. I don't know about you, but that is quite a conspicuous alarm bell. And unlike FFXIII-2, it doesn't look like they're relying as much on recycled assets. Furthermore:

> Lightning as the sole lead: *sigh* this love for Lightning all of a sudden is just unhealthy and weird. This is especially when you have Toriyama fawning over her like she's a real person or his waifu, except the previous game barely had her for more than - what? 20 minutes or so? And Lightning's as dull as a lump of coal. People thought Vaan became a bland entity? Well, Lightning isn't too far behind now in my opinion. So the player would only be stuck with her for the game sounds as inviting as being asked out to play bowls. And sure, she doesn't really kick ass and take names, but at least Serah has more of a personality.

> Dress-up. They're not going to resist another Aya Brea/3rd Birthday sort of thing, are they? It's going to be horrifying.

> Story will likely be nonsensical drivel again. When you have people who enjoyed FFXIII-2 suddenly put their hands up and go: "hold on, there is something very disparate and disconnected about this game to the other two. What the actual heck is going on? I thought the concept of time after FFXIII-2 is moot, and how does one destroy a world...again?" that says it all, really. If I were playing this, and if the game has anything else going for it to maintain my interest and attention, it would not be the story - I would probably just ignore it like I ignore terrible fanfic. Yeah, I can play an RPG while ignoring the story. It's terrible, I know.

> Terrible presentation with no trailers or gameplay footage publicly shown. You have some decent ideas on paper that made even a vocal cynic like me pay attention, but don't exhibit them in action. This is not how you try and impress. And I being a special fairy, need a lot to be impressed, especially when you're a FFXIII game. Granted, the gameplay may royally put me off when I see it, but until then, I reserve cautious optimism for something different.

> No Pokémon, Gotta Catch 'Em All. Thank God. Never liked collecting Pokémon.

> Majora's Mask plot and gameplay device. Oooookay, I admit that Majora's Mask is my least favourite Zelda because time limits can be my kryptonite. I like taking my time to explore, plunder and indulge in sidequests. If you as a game are selling yourself as being "world-orientated" (presumably meaning what I hope it means), why suddenly constrain me and say: "don't take your time, chap. Hurry the hell up."?

> I have no idea what they mean by that Facebook thing. I imagine some kind of weird future though where you need your own Facebook account logged on in the background to play a damn game - like some idiotic new method of online DRM. Either that, or we're obligated to change our status to "Toriyama's #1 Fanboy/girl".

> If they can deliver a fresh, cohesive (as in, not sprawled all over the place through different timelines) game world that is worth exploring, then that's certainly a step in the right direction. No, it wouldn't make this the best JRPG ever or anything revolutionary. But it will help to make this game significantly better than the other two.

> Eh, I suppose if this is cheap, or if I end up liking a demo of it, I can give it a shot. It will be a miracle if they can pull off making me pay money for another FFXIII game, since you people know how vocally against them I am. You know what's also a miracle? Walking on water. But I don't think Toriyama will be able to manage that.

> Art is, admittedly, awesome. Kamikokuryo really delivers with these kind of concept art designs. I remember when I saw his Bhujerba and Archades designs way back in 2004. Unfortunately, pretty pictures a good game do not make. But the art is still pretty, and the islands concept very Zelda-like too.

Right, this is my least negative post on something FFXIII-related in a long while. I feel a bit ill now, as if I just drank a whole pint of sludge for a bet...

Yup, I definitely feel weird now. -__-

its too early to make any judgement about the game besides the way it looks so far. I like concept arts so far and how it brings something *NEW* to the table instead of using the same thing from the *PAST* over again. from what the kitase, toriyama, kamikokuryu and the rest of them said during the announcement, it seems to be interesting and i hope it ends the lightning saga well.

I'm willing to give it a chance as of right now because what they presented *RIGHT NOW* seems interesting so far. So i can't make any judgement about how good the actual game will be until more info is released.

I hope this game releases soon though, give something to focus on while SE makes Versus XIII and Kingdom hearts 3. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the XIII series so far. the only flaw is that there are *SO* many haters trying to get other people hate it just because they want SE to make the games they want like the VII remake.

I actually think it looks really decent. I hope it has absolutely no references to XIII (or as little as possible) because if it doesn't I'll buy it. If it does this will be another FF I won't be getting unless the reviews and opinions are off the roof :(

I really think it looks amazing though. The idea of the 4 worlds (islands), sounds a bit like KH. I wholeheartedly hope it has as little reference to XIII and XIII-2 as physically possible. They did say it can be played as a stand alone piece, so I'm crossing my fingers they mean it. I think they rate Lightning way higher than they should, they seem to believe she's a god to the series and the best character they've ever written and the most loved character too which is just so untrue. "now that I've spoken about the world, let's move on to something more exciting: Lightening" - how could she possibly be more exciting than talking about this brand new world with all these new features we've never seen before? Overrated much. I didn't hate her, to be honest I can't actually remember that much about the characters of XIII so it makes me quite neutral to them.

Moving around in battle a first for the series? Have they forgotten FFXII already? I love the idea of the doomsday clock, it sounds so different and should up the tension for how long the world has left if you don't stop it. I take it there will be a game over if the clock runs out, not just if you are defeated in battle which adds a whole new layer to the gameplay. I think they stole the idea of the ever moving world from Versus because we know in that world time passes and we have day time and night time. The way time passes and things change means that sometimes you'll have to wait for something to change before you can gain access to where you want to go, but time passing also means you need to gain that time back again.

It looks like there might be a lot of exploration up for grabs but at the same time it looks like it's a heavily populated world and that everywhere you go is a city or a town. From what we've seen there doesn't seem to be much in the way of roaming fields or uninhabited land. Have no idea what they mean by connection to facebook, there's no way I'm connecting facebook to my game so lets hope it's an optional thing. It sounds like they're trying to mix MMO with consol and I'm not too sure the idea appeals to me.

The customisation thing looks very interesting, it reminds me of the idea in X-2 where changing costume meant different abilities and styles of attack. Instantanious equipment changing during battle - that sound like what could be done in X where you could change armour and weapons during a fight. Interesting ideas but there's nothing mentioned that I can see about how Lightening levels up, but I'm sure we'l hear about that at some point.

So I'm pretty impressed with the information given and just hope like hell that the storyline doesn't have much to do with XIII and XIII-2.

See? Some FFXIII haters can be reasonable and not bash a new title simply for its name.

Last edited:
I think they rate Lightning way higher than they should, they seem to believe she's a god to the series and the best character they've ever written and the most loved character too which is just so untrue. "now that I've spoken about the world, let's move on to something more exciting: Lightening" - how could she possibly be more exciting than talking about this brand new world with all these new features we've never seen before? Overrated much. I didn't hate her, to be honest I can't actually remember that much about the characters of XIII so it makes me quite neutral to them.

hehe.

I guess i'm in the minority but I like Lightning, I was sad at how little of her was seen in XIII-2.

Love her or hate her, there is no doubt she has a concrete legacy as one of the top draw FF characters of all time.

FF protags are a mixed bunch, I mean I thought Tidus and Squall were terrible, but some people love them.

To me, Lightning could be a real person, and to me, thats the job of a protag.

Won't be buying it. I'm tired of this.. and I'm tired of Kitase milking XIII into a mini-series of it's own when it splits the fan base meanwhile Versus, the one which we all want is once again shoved back into limbo.

Soon it'll be 7 years without a release date.. whereas Lightning Returns is already set for for a 2013 release. Just sickening..

I just find it strange how Fabula Nova Crystallis has now been transformed into "The Lightning Saga". FFXIII for a start was barely even about Lightning - the game was centered around Serah's fate and how all the characters become entwined around what happened to her. The stories of FNC were supposed to take place around various groups of characters in Versus, Type-0 etc...now it's all become focused on one character and they're even changing the world it's set in? FFXIII-2 made sense in making Serah a playable character, and though the timeline gimmick seemed a little last minute to make story material for a sequel, it does explain how all the other characters miraculously survived their fate in XIII, as well as expanding a little on the role of Etro, etc...
I thought a great ending for XIII would have been for them to have saved Cocoon but all turned to crystal. They could have all woken up eventually and made room for a sequel without this "messing up the timeline" stuff...
But I digress. Lightning Returns doesn't seem like a title I would be interested in, as the story seemed to have hit a wall with the ending of XIII-2, and they're just abandoning the potentially huge worlds of Pulse and Cocoon they've been building up, as well as characters barely touched upon. I just don't understand it :-/
I'd be more excited about this game if it was an entirely new title, with new world and new characters, not more of Lightning. I don't dislike her but she's not even popular enough among fans to warrant all this effort.

Personally i think this will be a very passable game. The ideas sound great but it all matters in execution.

Likeany who hate final fantasy xiii, we all hope the story has little to do with previous titles. On another note i absolutely hope lightning becomes someone different both visually and personality. Her look is tpo bitch for me to sympathize with anything she does.

On another note i absolutely hope lightning becomes someone different both visually and personality.

Ah come on. What would be the point in her being the main character if she's not herself? They did that with FFX-2. They may as well have just created an entirely different main character. I mean, fair enough if what you actually want is a different character all together, but the same character with a different appearance and personality? That is a completely different character. :monster:

As for this game in general, and I think I may have mentioned this in a different thread... It really comes across to me like Square-Enix are just trying really hard to change people's minds about the XIII games. I really disliked XIII. Most of the characters were really annoying. Lightning was just so-so; didn't have much of a personality, wasn't very expressive. Hope was just an annoying brat, which in a sense is good because you do get people who are genuinely like him, but they're the sort of people who I can't stand being around at all. Vanille was just another Yuffie, or Selphie, or Rikku. Sahz, I was kinda disappointed with. He seemed like he would be pretty cool, but I just didn't like him. Snow and Fang were the only characters I did like in the game, even though they weren't anything fresh for the series.

I haven't even played XIII-2 yet because I haven't really heard anything good about it at all, and I highly doubt I will get Lightning Returns. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of this being a good game. I may be pleasantly suprised. But this is the way I feel about this game at the moment. And, prior to FFXIII, I would be scouring the internet for updates, concept art, screenshots, videos, story details and everything the moment I hear about a new FF game. Now I'm just not that interested.

As I said, it really does seem like they're just trying to change people's minds about the XIII games. They really should just start something different. :(

Ah come on. What would be the point in her being the main character if she's not herself? They did that with FFX-2. They may as well have just created an entirely different main character. I mean, fair enough if what you actually want is a different character all together, but the same character with a different appearance and personality? That is a completely different character. :monster:

As for this game in general, and I think I may have mentioned this in a different thread... It really comes across to me like Square-Enix are just trying really hard to change people's minds about the XIII games. I really disliked XIII. Most of the characters were really annoying. Lightning was just so-so; didn't have much of a personality, wasn't very expressive. Hope was just an annoying brat, which in a sense is good because you do get people who are genuinely like him, but they're the sort of people who I can't stand being around at all. Vanille was just another Yuffie, or Selphie, or Rikku. Sahz, I was kinda disappointed with. He seemed like he would be pretty cool, but I just didn't like him. Snow and Fang were the only characters I did like in the game, even though they weren't anything fresh for the series.

I haven't even played XIII-2 yet because I haven't really heard anything good about it at all, and I highly doubt I will get Lightning Returns. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of this being a good game. I may be pleasantly suprised. But this is the way I feel about this game at the moment. And, prior to FFXIII, I would be scouring the internet for updates, concept art, screenshots, videos, story details and everything the moment I hear about a new FF game. Now I'm just not that interested.

As I said, it really does seem like they're just trying to change people's minds about the XIII games. They really should just start something different. :(
Because i hate lightning. Shes shallow and brute and no quality of a main character

I'm worried about this game. At first I loathed the idea because my least favourite Final Fantasy female ever is having her own title when imo she doesn't really derseve it. But after hearing about the X-2 dressphere coming back, it could be fun. But what's the point when there is only one chaarcter controllable ? The X-2 dressphere was fun because it gave you tons of choice and freedom and the more the characters, the better the freedom. I know some people feel like the X-2 dressphere was lame because it felt like changing Barbie dolls or something like that, but it's just the original Final Fantasy class system expect a little more girly. There is nothing wrong with anything girly. The media seems to like the idea to get into our minds that anything girly means weak, stupid or lame when it can be nothing of the sort. :dave:

Another worry is Hope giving Light advice through a system. I hate games that tell you what to do and show you what to do every two seconds instead of letting you work it out. It's like the game thinks that we're dumb and we can't work out a puzzle ! Sonic Gen with that annoying Chao shouting stupid things like Sonic can run really fast every two seconds comes to mind.-__-

And also it the main worry is that it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game at all and it makes me hugly worried for Final Fantasy 15. I said before if FF XV ends up being shit I'm done with SE and any future Final Fantasy games. And making a game towards a shallow girl, callous girl like Light is not helping things. Are we going to get a Bartz returns, or a Squall returns or Laguna returns or something ? YOU KNOW, a character that actually derseves a solo title ?! :rage:

I'm not worried. They did a great job with 13-2 so i don't have any doubts. I can't say if it will be better than 13 or 13-2 though, obviously. I don't think they'll leave out too much... i think all the "what about..." will be revealed in the 3rd installment and there isn't enough judgement to hate on the new world system thingy. I wonder how that will play out once we will experience that. It's great Square is trying this out for the game.

And also it the main worry is that it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game at all

Yeah, statements like this have been around ever since FF7 was released for PS1. "Man, from 7 to 8.. it doesn't feel like an FF at all".. i could still recall the heat X got. FF doesn't need to retain the majority of the elements of your first FF, they will all be different and they will always have something new for a newer generation. That is a principle for media oriented companies. We can't always flow the same way. With that then Square will not have a chance to innovate again like they did with 7 and 10, and make it's own FF? They didn't do a bad job anyway because the qualify of design (not just the visuals) in general made for this game is indeed superior of it's generation. Their games show to be harder to produce than any other RPG game in other franchises.

13 and much more 13-2 was one hell of good game.

So for you "oh it doesn't feel like an FF at all" just remember, those comments have been made ever since those "truer FF's" came out. And i know you will play like you are old-school, but please. In about 5+ years, some other poster will come and dog the newest FF and use #-13 as an example of the time when it was still FF.

Back