Lightning Returns General Discussion Thread

I beat the game the other day and really enjoyed it a lot. Without spoiling anything let me tell you that:

A: Don't get too frustrated in the beginning because it will take a few days to get used to the new system and "timer". Once you do, its a lot of fun and well put together.
B: I strongly advise NOT looking at the spoiler thread here. There is a mysterious character named Lumina who the less you know about her, the better. She plays a key role and you don't find out everything about her until the very end. Again, don't ruin it for yourself.
C: There is a lot of replay value for various reasons. Won't say why but as soon as I finished the game, I couldn't wait to start it again!

Lighning-Returns-Final-Fantasy-XIII-750x400.jpg

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Limited Edition Steelbook Pre-order Bonus

Adnan Riaz
January 9, 2014
News, PS3, Xbox 360

Retailer GAME has confirmed that it will be offering a Limited Edition Steelbook pre-order bonus for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

This steelbook will come along with the Cloud Strife DLC bonus, allowing for you to equip Cloud Strife’s Buster Sword, SOLDIER 1st class outfit, and ‘victory fanfare.’

GAME.co.uk ✔ @GAMEdigital
Follow

Cloud Returns (sort of) in Lightning Returns! Cloud SOLDIER outfit, Buster Sword + Steelbook! http://bit.ly/CloudReturns http://ow.ly/i/4eWUv
5:48 AM - 9 Jan 2014

This offer only applies to pre-orders in the UK, so make sure to grab yours whilst stocks last. Square Enix also confirmed a Collector’s Edition for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII which would be available for $89.99. More details can be found here.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will be released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on February 11, 2014 in North America and February 14 in Europe.

Source: GAME

What are your thoughts on the pre-order bonus? Are you buying Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII? Let us know in the comments.

New Screens for the Tomb Raider DLC for Lightning Returns

Square-Enix has announced that an official ‘Tomb Raider costume’ DLC pack will be made available for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. The DLC will be made available on February 11th, so it will launch with the game itself. Lara’s gear can be purchased from the PSN, or the XBL store.

The DLC itself will feature Lara’s iconic costume from the rebooted Tomb Raider, so players will be able to style Lightning with a tank top, shorts, and boots while they wrap her Final Fantasy adventure. In addition to the clothing items Lightning will also have access to Lara’s Survivor’s axe, and a Riot Shield to use in battle.
A new set of screenshots for the ‘Tomb Raider’ DLC pack have been released, and they’re available to view below. There’s also a short trailer featuring the announcement.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is set to hit retail on February 11, 2014 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles. It will cost $59.99 and be available as a digital download on day one for PS3 owners. The Xbox 360 digital version will release at a later date.

About the FINAL FANTASY XIII Project

The FINAL FANTASY XIII project began in March 2010 with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII and continued with its sequel, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, released in February 2012. The series has been widely successful, shipping over 10 million units worldwide.

http://www.entertainmentbuddha.com/new-screens-for-the-tomb-raider-dlc-for-lightning-returns/

I will make a quick snide comment about how much of a vapid mannequin of a shell Lightning as a character is that she has to dress up in other people's outfits to have some semblance of personality, albeit to still little effect. After that I will say once again that the voice acting and script are dreadful as usual. And then I will make an offhand remark about how the game is out next week and thereby the long years of FFXIII in the spotlight will finally be over with soon.

If they want to cross-pollinate their franchises with these costumes, they should take it further. Shave her bloody head, stick a barcode at the back and stuff in her a suit and tie. There, Agent 47 costume. Or edit half her face, give her the costume and the cybernetics, slap on sunglasses and you have Adam Jensen. Or stuff her in a tank top with a pork bun for a weapon. Wei Shen costume.

I will make a quick snide comment about how much of a vapid mannequin of a shell Lightning as a character is that she has to dress up in other people's outfits to have some semblance of personality, albeit to still little effect.

Personally I see things from the opposite perspective. The way I see it, they've killed her personality by eliminating all sense of identity. That goes for the entire LR game, really. Now I've only played the demo, and honestly it was an enjoyable one, but to me it had almost 0 connection to Final Fantasy XIII. LR just doesn't know what it's trying to be. How can someone have any personality when the way you perceive them changes drastically every few minutes? In video games, clothing isn't just aesthetics: it's how you come to view the wearer as a character. Far more hours are spent looking at someone's back than watching and listening to them in cutscenes. Lightning had personality--it developed over the course of XIII, and we just didn't get to see it much in XIII-2--but now she's sadly just lines on a page and a dress-up figure with little basis for either.

The gameplay has me interested. $60 worth of interested? No. I'd get the game on a hefty sale, but for gameplay alone. Without having experienced the game in its entirety I see no way that the story can possibly redeem itself. I do kind of feel like getting more FFXIII right now, but I'm far more inclined just to replay the original than get LR.

I don't think she has lost her identity at all really, these are optional costumes for you to download if you are a fan of a particular franchise. Should they be in it? Not really but some people out there would like it and appreciate it. The gameplay was a big improvement over FFXIII-2 and well without even knowing the story to much, I think it has enough chance to be as good as FFXIII-2 (Which I personally enjoyed) I will be buying it next week on launch for about £30 as I have some vouchers to use, and for me that is worth it considering I will be purchasing Titanfall (A multiplayer only game) and MGSV:GZ (A glorified demo, but charged full price. I love MGS so who cares!)

No spoilers from me, but Lightning's "lack of personality" as some put it, is a main part of the climax and conclusion of the game. Questions are answered. That's as much as I'll say.

I'm looking forward to LR. I remember when XII was the most hated game in the series, then a few games later it's now 'decent', 'pretty good', 'not the best but...' etc. People's opinions are fluid and in a constant state of change, so any input on a forthcoming release that isn't strictly facts will be filtered out of my mind.

FFXII was far more loved in Japan; it wasn't well received in the West. I personally give a 9/10, I think it's great.

FFXIII is good to in my opinion. Haven't paid too much attention to FFXIII-3. Honestly, I didn't even know it was coming out, distracted by other games for the time being.

So I got to where I fight Caius and I had to restart the game. He was just kicking my ass. He's extremely hard for me because hes so damn fast and his attacks were hitting hard. I feel like I missed alot of stuff before I got to him so I'm gonna try and do more side quests this time.

Well there is a kinda a guidepoint way to do the game but I kinda did it differently and this resulted in minimal time wasted on the first run, finished all of Luxerions main stuff, then moved onto Yusaan did it to completion, then the Desert(which is easy up to the boss and nets some nice loot and ethers if you're picking up unappraised items and finished the quest for the kid in Ruffian), after that the Wildlands cause by this time you have Army of One + a good supply of EP to use and if you did well in the Desert you should have 1-2 Ethers to help restore your ep in battle to stagger and abuse Clockstopper on Caius.

Honestly Caius seemed to be the hardest outside of the last boss in the game. xD

Well there is a kinda a guidepoint way to do the game but I kinda did it differently and this resulted in minimal time wasted on the first run, finished all of Luxerions main stuff, then moved onto Yusaan did it to completion, then the Desert(which is easy up to the boss and nets some nice loot and ethers if you're picking up unappraised items and finished the quest for the kid in Ruffian), after that the Wildlands cause by this time you have Army of One + a good supply of EP to use and if you did well in the Desert you should have 1-2 Ethers to help restore your ep in battle to stagger and abuse Clockstopper on Caius.

Honestly Caius seemed to be the hardest outside of the last boss in the game. xD

He was tough my first run. Did you try the two hidden bosses? Very tough!

Caius was so far the only boss ive had trouble with. Had to use 1 phoenix down, 2 remedies, 2 hi-pots, 1 veil potion & a max remedy & ended the battle with 100hp ;o. he was very flustering. However I advise that you finish all other main quests & about 25-35 side quests before doing caius, hes really rough & i even had an advantage by using a strat guide & i still had lots of issues.
Oh and im only on day 7 btw :P

I've been playing this game too long... I can now kill Caius in under 5 seconds...lol My stats are REAL close to 9999.

I kinda want to play from the beginning again without keeping my stats. I do remember him being a crazy pain the butt though. Exactly what I like to see in a boss! :)

If you mean Aeronite and whatever the hell the last monster is at the end of the bonus dungeon yeah I fought both, I never got close on Aero but I managed to get the bonus dun's bosses hp to 30% before he nuked me with Meteors :/ ran out of heals. I'll be reattempting them once I clear Hard Mode.

Another Reason Caius will be stronger is due to the "After 6-7 Days ALL Enemies become stronger" thing, Caius once you have around 4-5 EP and Army of One he can be dealt with pretty easily if you manage to stagger him before having to use it, I just took on HM Caius and managed to beat him with only 2 EP. Went in with low EP so I'd be challenged for once xD all I can say is Megaflare freaking hurts xD.

I haven't really maxed my stats yet, my main Melee Schemata has around 5725 Str with LB on I dunno how many runs it takes to get maxed stats but so far 3 runs have gotten me decent stats now xD

OH And be sure to nab the EP Use Reduction Accessory in the Desert Ruins the EP use reduction really helps in endgame

If you mean Aeronite and whatever the hell the last monster is at the end of the bonus dungeon yeah I fought both, I never got close on Aero but I managed to get the bonus dun's bosses hp to 30% before he nuked me with Meteors :/ ran out of heals. I'll be reattempting them once I clear Hard Mode.

Another Reason Caius will be stronger is due to the "After 6-7 Days ALL Enemies become stronger" thing, Caius once you have around 4-5 EP and Army of One he can be dealt with pretty easily if you manage to stagger him before having to use it, I just took on HM Caius and managed to beat him with only 2 EP. Went in with low EP so I'd be challenged for once xD all I can say is Megaflare freaking hurts xD.

I haven't really maxed my stats yet, my main Melee Schemata has around 5725 Str with LB on I dunno how many runs it takes to get maxed stats but so far 3 runs have gotten me decent stats now xD

OH And be sure to nab the EP Use Reduction Accessory in the Desert Ruins the EP use reduction really helps in endgame

Yup, those two :)

The weird thing at the end of the dungeon is very strong, but there is a VERY easy way to beat him that I discovered, even if you have low stats. I won't say here, but if you mess around he can be beat!
Aironite on the other hand was a nightmare to beat my first run. I eventually did it, but he is crazy strong.

Meh I didn't bother reading any strats I just follow my own guide stagger it twice and burn as much HP off as fast as I can and with the Buster Sword Maxed out + my other melee build with Odins Weapon burned about 40-50% of its hp on the first full stagger (if I had EP at the time probably would have gotten it killed :x )

Aeronite seems too easy once you stagger it for the 3rd-4th time it'll stay down till you kill it :eek:

Meh I didn't bother reading any strats I just follow my own guide stagger it twice and burn as much HP off as fast as I can and with the Buster Sword Maxed out + my other melee build with Odins Weapon burned about 40-50% of its hp on the first full stagger (if I had EP at the time probably would have gotten it killed :x )

Hated the staggering system in Lightning Returns. I always found the staggering mechanic a bit boring but I could tolerate it in XIII, it just felt worse somehow in this.

Back