Slang Words.

Kim Taehyung

You shine brighter than anyone ✨
Veteran
Gil
Because for some reason I thought an entire class on Slang would be interesting (so far it's boring as hell), I'm enrolled in this class. And a bi-weekly assignment for the class is to give a slang word and define it with the following:

Word
How to spell it
How to pronounce it
its definition
where we got it (or where you'd typically hear it)
what kind of person said it
and how you feel about it upon hearing it (Does it make you laugh, angry, indifferent, etc.)

Since I zone out horribly when people are talking around me, I'll likely run out of words 3 weeks in. So I was wondering if you'd guys love to help me out and give me some words? :andry:

Thought I'd try, anyway. :monster:

Lol, I know a few good ones I suppose, some that are from the Jamaican patois dialect I don't know if you'd be interested in learning that (or if it would be deemed appropriate for your assignment).

Let's see ...

We have one that's pretty common in the African-American community, like I don't hear it amongst Jamaican youth, simply because they have their own unique slang. Very unique compared to the African-American dialect. But eh ...

My word of the day is ...

ratchet

pronounced as "ratchet" similar to "hatchet"
spelling: r-a-t-c-h-e-t
definition: Basically it's a tamer variant of a young woman who is deemed as being "ghetto" or unsophisticated by females of decidedly higher socioeconomic standards. They may behave in a blatantly obnoxious and ignorant fashion as well, further deepening their being called a "ratchet chick" by their peers.
Commonly this is heard within the 15-25 year old black diaspora, mainly within the female circles to describe another decidedly undignified female. Men may use this on occasion but I think the instance is rare, I've personally only witnessed hearing it from girls.
How do I feel when I hear it? It makes me laugh and shake my head at the female that person is describing at the time; usually it's said within a context to be inflammatory and yet humorous but there is generally a grain of truth to being labelled that. I just think it's funny but it's also sad because some of the females that are labelled that way kind of demonstrate that sort of behavior.

The assignment is calling for any slang word from anywhere, and it doesn't matter if it's obscene or not. (Which I'll find interesting watching this old man talk about sexual slang. That week should be fun. :lew: )

Thanks for your help, Taylor! :andry:

Back