KH I Needed for KH II?

HighwindPilot

White Mage
Gil
I want to introduce my girlfriend to Kingdom Hearts because she adores all things Disney and I think this would be a lot fo fun for her. I'm going to have to buy the games again as I seem to have lost my copies, but I don't want to get both since she may not even like the series. I was wondering, though, if one needs to play Kingdom Hearts I in order to really enjoy Kingdom Hearts II?

Unfortunately, I don't remember the content of either game too well, but I seem to remember enjoying the KH II gameplay much more than I did the first one. I'm leaning toward it because of that, but I don't want her to feel disconnected from the story, and I wonder if it would be better to simply start her off from square one (pun intended).

Thanks for your opinions.

Mods, sorry if this isn't the proper place to put this thread. Figured I'd put it in a "neutral" area since it deals with either of the major installments.

I would get her to play KH1 first.
I don't think it's really needed but I think the beginning of KH2 is so boring and off-putting and if she knows nothing about the characters and game itself then she's not going to want to continue through that boring part at the start to see what happens. Also if you want her to get into the game, it's always good to start at the start regardless, specially with a game as confusing as KH :)

While KH1 isn't needed for KHII, it makes the experience better and IMO, she will find much more enjoyment with KH1 due to the fact that KHone is far superior in difficulty when compared with KH1, but KH2 has better fighting options.

Thank you both for your prompt and helpful responses.

Chuck, you make a particularly excellent point about the beginning of KH2. I forgot how damn dreadful it could be between the menial, repetitive "jobs" and all of the intentionally asperous and muddled plot points. It would probably make a disbeliever out of her before long.

SB, you're right about the difficulty, but it's not a major concern of mine because I think the challenge would be plenty for her either way. She's not very experienced with games of this genre, so I wanted to emphasize the feel and experience more.

Having said that, and based on what you both have said, I definitely think it would be better to start with the first one. I honestly couldn't remember how independent the games are from one another, but you both have helped refresh my memory.

It is not necessary. The game shows scenes from the first game to understand. Howevr chain of memories is necessary. But kh1 is a great game. And better than kh2

I'd personally (don't attack me :hmph: ) say that not only is KH 1 required for part 2, but also Chain Of Memories. Those both really helped to slide me and my brother into KH 2. Obviously there's important shit in KH 1, but there's also a whole lot of important stuff in CoM that you wouldn't think would be there, such as the first sighting of The Organized Organization. So I'd say all three are crucial.

I'd personally (don't attack me :hmph: ) say that not only is KH 1 required for part 2, but also Chain Of Memories. Those both really helped to slide me and my brother into KH 2. Obviously there's important shit in KH 1, but there's also a whole lot of important stuff in CoM that you wouldn't think would be there, such as the first sighting of The Organized Organization. So I'd say all three are crucial.

Kh1 is roughly summarized in kh2. Chain of memories os the more.important one.

Yeah, I never thought KH1 was necessary to get to grips with the story for these games. It's always good to play through just to be able to experience those events first hand, but it definitely isn't required.

I haven't even played Chain of Memories, and still managed to thoroughly enjoy KH2 without too much confusion.

KH1 is essential to playing kh2, without KH1 you would be seriously lost. yes there is recaps of what happened (roughly) but its nothing compared to the epicness and story plot of actually playing KH1. even if you guys do the quickest run through of kh1 possible, (choose sword drop magic) and look up the combo of conversations you have to have in order to have fast paced game speed,(faster lvls, more enemies, more exp because of more enimies) just to finish up the game and run through the story plot if you dont do any of the side quests as the dalmations or collecting all items, or ultima weap ext. you should be able to finish it within 20-25hours. its so good to not play and i HIGHLY recommend playing 1 before 2. and also as stated above, at least watch the cutscenes from CoM. it is essential to the transition from KH1 till 2.

He question.
KH1 is essential to playing kh2, without KH1 you would be seriously lost. yes there is recaps of what happened (roughly) but its nothing compared to the epicness and story plot of actually playing KH1. even if you guys do the quickest run through of kh1 possible, (choose sword drop magic) and look up the combo of conversations you have to have in order to have fast paced game speed,(faster lvls, more enemies, more exp because of more enimies) just to finish up the game and run through the story plot if you dont do any of the side quests as the dalmations or collecting all items, or ultima weap ext. you should be able to finish it within 20-25hours. its so good to not play and i HIGHLY recommend playing 1 before 2. and also as stated above, at least watch the cutscenes from CoM. it is essential to the transition from KH1 till 2.

The question is if the person cn understand kh2 without kh1. I dont think anyone is denying kh1 as a fun game. I akso recommend it before playing kh2. But thats not

Simple answer yes you can get KH II without KH I.

I would advice against it, although KH II does eventually tell you what is going on, I think it would be better to play KH I first.
It would be easier to understand KH II a lot more if you did play KH I. Although even if you play KH I and Chain of Memories, you might not fully understand what is going on right at the beginning anyways, so in the end it is up to you :elmo:

Back