i have come to a realization

Ironman

Tony Stark
Veteran
Gil
well, it was many years ago that i first played this game (FFVIII) and i never really thought about the character designs and what not, but i am replaying the game now, and i am thinking about the characters and i figured that Seifer is soo much more badass than Squall, i never really payed him much notice the first couple of times through the game as he was the villain and i was like "HE MUST DIEE!!!!!!!" but thinking about it now i wish Seifer was the main char and not Squall, as Squall is more whimpy and what not, it kinda sucks.

and so i ask, what are your views on Squall and Seifer people do you wish you had more time to use Seifer, do you wish you could use him throughout the game?

please discuss.

also sorry if this is already a thread, i didn't see one around.

If anything Seifer battle stance is more badass than Squall, i didnt liked his "Im a knight" attitude, i like Squall a lot so im okay with him as the protagonist but i agree it would be awesome to have him as a party member, i would dish out Irvine for having Seifer playable, Irvine is the worst character in the party, not gameplay wise but his role is almost unnecessary his only porpuse was to remind the party that they were orphans, after that for me he could had be Crushed by Pandora (Forgot the name).

I hate seifer.. He is too cocky not badass. Besides the whole "I wanna be a knight thing" is really lame. Who the hell dreams of being a sorceress's knight.. Squall was given a proper past and motivations to be a sorceress's knight(Rinoa's). We dont know anything about why seifer wants to be a knight and his origins.

Actually after making this post I got curious and read about his background. It isnt revealed in the game and that is a shame but right know I feel more satisfying! "Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania reveals that when Seifer was a child, a popular movie was released about a sorceress who stood to defend her country, and her knight who protected her. The film was Seifer's favorite, and inspired his dream to become a Sorceress Knight himself. He even copied the battle pose of the actor who played the Knight in the film." from http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Seifer_Almasy. Now his character makes a little more sense and I dont hate him so much but it is still kind of lame :D
Edit: More interesting trivia. The actor of Seifer's favourite movie is Laguna! WTF THIS GAME IS SO GOOD!

Actually after making this post I got curious and read about his background. It isnt revealed in the game and that is a shame but right know I feel more satisfying! "Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania reveals that when Seifer was a child, a popular movie was released about a sorceress who stood to defend her country, and her knight who protected her. The film was Seifer's favorite, and inspired his dream to become a Sorceress Knight himself. He even copied the battle pose of the actor who played the Knight in the film." from http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Seifer_Almasy. Now his character makes a little more sense and I dont hate him so much but it is still kind of lame :D
Edit: More interesting trivia. The actor of Seifer's favourite movie is Laguna! WTF THIS GAME IS SO GOOD!

I'm pretty sure that was mentioned in the game. I remember reading it, I'm sure Seifer or a npc said something, and Laguna's movie was mentioned in Selphie's diary thing. As for Seifer being the main character and not Squall, I totally dissagree, Squall had way more depth to his character and really grew throughout the game, Seifer didn't have much depth at all really and the majority of the time he was just a pawn, which isn't badass in the slightest.

Seifer is totes a baddie. :ari: I always loved him more than Squall... ask my sisters. :ahmed: Seifer is cocky... but so what, he works it. Squall thinks too himself just way too much. I always liked his dream to be a knight--it was adorable. Also, I like how easily he freaks out on people (like with Zell).

So yeah, I like Seifer way more.

I'm pretty sure that was mentioned in the game. I remember reading it, I'm sure Seifer or a npc said something, and Laguna's movie was mentioned in Selphie's diary thing. As for Seifer being the main character and not Squall, I totally dissagree, Squall had way more depth to his character and really grew throughout the game, Seifer didn't have much depth at all really and the majority of the time he was just a pawn, which isn't badass in the slightest.

Can you see the diary in game? I dont remember anything in the game stating that Seifer wanted to be a sorceress's knight because of a movie :O, perhaps I didnt speak to a certain NPC at a certain time or I just dont remember. Anyway, next time I play the game Ill pay more attention. I know that Laguna made a movie because we even played that part but didnt see a connection to Seifer's childhood in the game.

Can you see the diary in game? I dont remember anything in the game stating that Seifer wanted to be a sorceress's knight because of a movie :O, perhaps I didnt speak to a certain NPC at a certain time or I just dont remember. Anyway, next time I play the game Ill pay more attention. I know that Laguna made a movie because we even played that part but didnt see a connection to Seifer's childhood in the game.

Yeah, I didn't know about the diary until the last time I played either (about the 5th playthrough) but you can access it whenever you go onto the computer in the classroom in Balamb Garden. There's a diary and then there's this Laguna diary where Selphie posts stuff she's learned from those magazines you collect (can't remember what they're called) that Laguna used to work for. I honestly can't remember where it was said about Seifer getting his inspiration from the movie, but I'm sure it must have been because I knew about it and haven't seen it online anywhere.

Squall was a pansy-ass, leather wearing, ellipsis-mumbling, sissy, emo.

Seifer was just a creepy, childish, cocky bastard with a man crush on Squall.

Hated the characters. Then again, hated the game.

(I am not trying to insult any fans of FFVIII)

That said, I would find a story branch that deals with Seifer as a protagonist a lot more interesting, in fact I would prefer him over Squall, not sure if it would work out well story-wise.

Last edited:
Both of you knock it off and grow up. And remain on-topic while you're at it. "Let's have a pissing match" is not the topic.

No, Seifer shouldn't be the main hero. He was manipulated by his need to feel important to his adoptive mother. He was a bully, who had to resort to calling names to others simply to get a reaction. He purposely tried to injure Squall who he knew he was inferior to in terms of both Gunblade skill and ability to follow authority. He based his entire fighting style on Laguna who in fact had no idea what he was doing with a Gunblade in the first place. And he never grows until the very last time we see him when he realises he can let go of his anger.

That said i do wish he would have joined the party after disc 3 as he could have added that extra something to really put disc 4 over the top. Imagine Seifer feeling remorse for his actions and redeeming himself by helping to ultimately overthrow Ultimecia. I also wish Edea had joined in for the last disc as well. The game would be even better for their inclusion IMO.

Squall on the other hand, was introverted. Self-assured to a fault. Unsure of his own capabilities, uncomfortable with expressing emotion. And he let Seifer's constant bullying get to him and accepted he would never be good enough. To be fair he evolved throughout the game and started to fix these things about himself, but he really only becomes a traditional hero in the last stretch of the game, and it made him a boring main character as well.

Now the protagonist I'd most like to see more of, is Laguna. I wish the game had actually been developed so that you were playing two complete stories like it was marketed and described in the game booklet, rather than 1 story with flashes of another. And if there was one that had to be more prominent I wish it had been Laguna's. Laguna is a far more interesting and tragic character, with far more depth and growth than either Squall or Seifer.

And this is from someone who loves FF8, it's my favourite FF, but the more you love something the more you want to find ways to improve it I guess.

Seifer is awesome and so is Squall. I don't know where this " Seifer was gay for Squall " thing another member mentioned comes from, but maybe I missed something ? Maybe some hints ?

Seifer was a arrogant and cocky bastard but he still had a heart and he still was caring and good when it all come down to it all. Seifer feels human and well developed as a character and less of a bunch of graphics. You find his arrogant ways annoying, but you admire his jealousy for Squall and his dream to become a knight, that dream that he had since he was a kid.

Both Seifer and Squall feel like brothers and both are fantastic characters.

Honestly, I prefer Squall to be the main character rather than Seifer. Theres always going to be a character who has a better pose or apearance. I dont exactly believe that the protagonist has to be the best looking one.

Squall just has more back story than Seifer, and his design isnt so bad.

Nah, Squall is much more interesting. Pretty much the game is about Squall getting in touch with responsibility. Which is an awesome theme.

Back