Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Yuno Mizuno
FFXIV Server
Lich
Free Company
Silver Lining
Reports are surfacing that Final Fantasy Versus XIII, which has been in development since 2006, has been cancelled.

Kotaku is claiming that the planned PS3 exclusive has been canned quietly by Square Enix after it hasn't been seen in some time.

The company has allegedly made the decision to let the game fade away rather than officially announce its cancellation due to concerns over stock prices. There has been much speculation over the past year that the writing was on the wall after the title was conspicuously absent from conventions.

In fact, the last time the game was mentioned was back in May when designer Tetsuya Nomura told Game Informer that "We would like to ask for your patience on an official announcement for this title. It always takes time when tackling the challenge of doing something completely new, but we are doing our best to bring information to the fans as quickly as we can. Your patience is greatly appreciated."

Kotaku also reports that resources used to make the game were folded into working on what will become Final Fantasy XV a few months back.

We've reached out to Square Enix for comment. Whether true or not, an official cancellation would be better than simply letting the game become "vaporware", where its existence is never referenced again.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was originally announced in 2006 as part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series of games. The other games two games in the series announced at the same time, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Type-0 have both been released, and Final Fantasy XIII-2 has also been announced and launched since

Source: IGN

Because, of course, cancelling a game that fans actually WANT will DESTROY stock prices. Honestly, Square Enix. If this is true, you really, REALLY need to hire someone who knows what the stock market actually IS. If anything, cancelling what people see as your last saving grace will send your stock plummeting into oblivion.

Either way, I don't believe this. I want to - I'd probably die laughing; fans are going to flip shit when they see this topic, never mind if it actually gets confirmed - but even I can't believe that Square Enix would be so phenomenally stupid. Even though fans have no reason at all to hype Versus - there has been no information to warrant this beyond what it looks like, and I direct you all to FFXIII to see how that turned out - they do hype it, and it'll sell by the truckloads no matter how bad because of it. What the hell is going on here? :lew:

My troll senses are tingling.

http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

I really hope this is going to be FFXV. If they really can/cancel this game Final Fantasy will be officially dead to me.
So a rename I welcome otherwise bye bye FF.

We'll see September 1st.

Contrary to Kotaku’s report, at E3 in June, we heard through sources of friends that Nomura is still at work on the game and is preparing a new trailer for the Tokyo Game Show. It should also be noted that “Somnus,” a track from Final Fantasy Versus XIII, is available as download content for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. I would think it to be a bit odd for the game to have a track from a canceled Final Fantasy.
http://gematsu.com/2012/07/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-canceled

.. Too many rumours too much confusion.. Oh god! I really hope tht final fantasy VXIII= FF XV or else square enix dropped the bomb and they are literally fucked! Or that this rumour is fake altogether

http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

I really hope this is going to be FFXV. If they really can/cancel this game Final Fantasy will be officially dead to me.
So a rename I welcome otherwise bye bye FF.

We'll see September 1st.

I agree this post. Also like Kotaku says in that quote why release a track for a game that is about to be cancelled. Games like Final Fantasy are S-E's only lifeline financially (to the greater extent) and cancelling this game would not be very practical. It seems they are passing the time to avoid fan rage, let it die slowly better then announcing cancellation.

If it has been renamed FFXV then bravo it might actually be better if it is a major instalment rather than tying in with the not so favoured FFXIII setting/relation. We'll see on September 1st for any news on the game cause to be honest if it isn't even at least mentioned there. Then this rumour is well and truly correct in my opinion.

If it's cancelled and then reworked to not have ties to FFXIII, I'd be alright with that. Most likely, it would then be a next gen game, which also would be fine since werent they constantly trying to upgrade the graphics and use new lighting elements from their new graphics engine? I doubt they would let all the tech just be wasted if it's true.

s-e officially sucks. You are going to focus on new games, by rereleasing old games (remastering/rebooting) and redoing failed games (14) and cutting the one new title that generated interest...

Oh sweet baby Buddha. This had better be a rumor.

But it is likely a rumor and nothing more: why release tracks of the game if it were cancelled or had been cancelled for a while now? I agree with an above post saying that it's taken out of the Fabula Nova Crystalis (sp) compilation. And in that case it's been "cancelled", but given a new name (like FFXV :P ) But even that was a false rumor. I really don't know what to believe anymore.

All I know is....if it IS true, I will be cutting bitches.

why doesn't S-E just come straight out and tell us what is going on?
S-E deemed not mentioning the cancellation (if it is actually true) because it could effect stock sales like people not buying future products cause they cancelled the game. They think that if it becomes Vapour ware people may not complain so much or just come to terms of it never coming out.

Fishing for hits are we now, Kotaku? What are you, the gaming equivalent of the Daily Mail?

Okay, pretending this is true for a moment, why does it matter how they handle the cancellation? Whether they come out and announce its cancellation or let it quietly die in a corner? Their stock prices will fall so quickly they'll be burning from the atmospheric re-entry no matter how they go about doing it, while furious fans plot to burn their building down. I think the worst they can do at this point is flush years of works and assets down the toilet and then instead come out with games that few people have asked for like FFXIII-3, in a sort of tongue and cheek form of compensation. Ideally, this would be corporate suicide, but FFXIII-3 will probably still sell by the truckload, so who am I kidding...

By the way, my first reaction? I laughed. Years ago, if I read this, I would have been absolutely gutted. As gutted as I was to learn that KOTOR 3, Battlefront 3, TimeSplitters 4 and Valkyria Chronicles 3 (English version) would never see the light of day. If I had seen this last year, I would react with indifference - and no feeling at all. Now? I actually laughed. The so-called saviour of the franchise despite the fact that so many people say they don't like their Final Fantasy to be anything other than turn-based games and how very scant details have been - the pathetically pitiful amount of things we have seen over the span of 6 years? It would never live up to the hype. It would always disappoint in some way, not living up to the many years worth of pent-up, impatient anticipation.

Well, here's to TGS then, or at least, a word from an actual Square-Enix rep. If nothing about this game turns up, it may as well be dead then. Or at least hope what useable assets they have can be used for something else. Like FFXV. Or Kingdom Hearts 3 even.

I think SE has to try pretty hard to surprise me with anything anymore. I'm not holding my breathe on this game anymore. I would like to see it released, but I'm not going to shed a tear if it is canceled

I knew versus xii was roo good to be true....i dont doubt it will become vaporware. likely the president cancelled it while tetsuya nomura was really trying. But they will not be able to keep it quiet. Fans are smart and will force square with a proper announcement

Final Fantasy XV is rumored to be open-world, and more massive than Elder Scrolls V. Making a huge leap and assuming this to be true, then I think S-E over-booked themselves having both these games in development at once.

Final Fantasy XV is rumored to be open-world, and more massive than Elder Scrolls V. Making a huge leap and assuming this to be true, then I think S-E over-booked themselves having both these games in development at once.

Possibly quite true. :hmmm:

Personally, I wouldn't mind a name change for VersusXIII (it could become FF Versus), but didn't Versus and FFXV enter into full development at different points? :hmmm:

I also have one problem with VersusXIII being the new XV. It's highly likely XV will be the final FF game on the current gen consoles, assuming SE don't already have plans to wait until the next generation before completing and releasing it. However, I'd really like to play another medieval type Final Fantasy. In order to do this without buying a PS4, which I am loathe to do, SE would have to make a medieval FF before the gaming industry moves on to welcome the PS4 generation.

As for Versus being cancelled... I personally don't feel we've seen enough of this game to miss it too much. I also don't think we, as fans, should abandon SE. :sad3: They may have wanted to complete the game as much as the fans have wanted to see it, but it sounds as though development has been a challenge. I wouldn't blame any creative team for holding back a failed project. Creative artists often want their game/book/film/music to reach its full potential first. If Versus can't reach its full potential and SE DO release it...well, they're giving us an inferior product and, in effect, disrespecting their project, its creators and their fans, who deserve only the best.

However, if Versus has turned into a failed project, it may be a good idea for SE to admit this sooner rather than later. Then they can wait a few years before completing the project (in secret) or incorporating their work so far into something new. Sometimes artists need to take a step back in order to complete something... It's quite hard to do that when millions of fans are pressurising you to get a move on - hence why they should admit that, currently, they can't compelte it. Fans are more angry about the uncertainty than the possibility of Versus never seeing the light of day. :hmmm:

As long as they release good games in the future, I will support them....Somehow. :lew: (It'll be a little more challenging when we move on to the PS4!)

Last edited:
However, if Versus has turned into a failed project, it may be a good idea for SE to admit this sooner rather than later. Then they can wait a few years before completing the project (in secret) or incorporating their work so far into something new. Sometimes artists need to take a step back in order to complete something... It's quite hard to do that when millions of fans are pressurising you to get a move on - hence why they should admit that, currently, they can't compelte it. Fans are more angry about the uncertainty than the possibility of Versus never seeing the light of day. :hmmm:

As long as they release good games in the future, I will support them....Somehow. :lew:

Agree alot with this. It might be a good idea for SE to let it go instead of dragging it out and it ends up becoming like the Final Fantasy version of Duke Nukedom Forever. It's still really sucky though. This game had alot of potential. :sad:

:rofl: right... the game all FF fans ask and talk about is going to "fade quietly"

Square gets Versus questions every week!

And rumors of it "fading quietly" Isn't really a good way to try and kill it without people knowing :hmmm:

Maybe I am wrong...but.. I don't think this game is going die... I'm sure it's going be made.

I also don't think we, as fans, should abandon SE. :sad3:

I may talk big....but at the end of the day I will probably never actually abandon SE. I'll keep buying their products till the day I die.

Damn you, Square Enix. :gonk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back