Help Starting a new game of FFX, any tips?

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
Hi guys.

I'm starting a new game of FFX tonight. It's been a long, long, LONG time since I played it...I've forgotten a lot of stuff about the game, so I thought to make my next play through enjoyable and so I don't get bored because I am stuck or something, I'd ask some of you FFX fans to help me through it :ari:

So, are there any tips or tricks you know of to get me a good headstart in the game? :hmmm: What kinds of 'jobs' should I give my characters? Obviously Yuna is a white mage and Lulu is a black mage but what about the others??

:damon: hopefully I can be bothered getting through the start of the game though, I remember I hated that part.

Thank you for your help!

:toni:

Before you reach Moonflow,

Farm your ass off until your characters have 3,000 HP.

That is all.

Also,

if you get the Quick Hit (it provides an extra turn) and Delay Attack/Buster skill for Tidus and others early, make sure you abuse the shit out of it.

I'm a bit stupid so I will ask this stupid question to keep things consistant.

What is a 'quick hit'? haha Is it an item or is it an ability?

Thanks for the tips :ari:

Remember you can switch your characters in and out of battle without losing a turn. Do this in each battle to ensure EVERY character receives experience points. :grin: In order for them to receive points, each character must perform an action, so when you bring them in, remember to attack or heal. :wacky: This should make levelling up really easy! :)

Now I feel like replaying X... :sad3: I already have IV, V, VI and VII on the go! :gasp: And am, just this minute, working on collecting fragments in XIII-2...

I like Final Fantasy too much for my own good. :sad3:

Don't play it. Best advice you'll get :awesome:

Don't waste your time with Kimahri; he's absolutely useless. Also, unless you plan on delving into Blitzball, don't bother with Wakka either.

Entrust is a very useful skill. It's on Auron's Sphere Grid, and costs 8MP. It transfers one character's Overdrive to another's. Obviously, this can come in handy.

Rikku is your best friend for getting you out of tough situations. I don't care what anyone else says, Mix is easily the best Overdrive in the game, because it has a very large number of possible combinations, which are suitable for any situation. Hyper Mighty G is a life-saver for late-game and post-game bosses, and the lesser versions will serve you well throughout the game. Rikku will save you a lot of hassle when it comes to putting all those wonderful buffs on party members, etc.

Also, keep in mind that Seymour can banish Aeons...so get their Overdrive gauges full beforehand; they're good for taking off massive chunks of his health. That applies to most bosses, really - go in with a full gauge and get it off either immediately if it'll bring them to the brink of death or later in the fight when shit starts to get serious.

Evrae is a bitch of a boss, as well. As a general guideline, have second-tier spells for Lulu before you fight him; you'll be at around the right level to sweep him with ease.

I always put Kimhari down the "Black Mage" part of the grid because that's probably my favorite class but by the end of the game he's pretty much useless as a Black Mage. So I would suggest having him go through either Auron or Wakka's path to make him physically stronger. Now that I think about it: it actually makes more sense to have Kimahri physically stronger rather than magically stronger. His weapons has piercing abilities which means he could take down the fiends with hard shells/bodies. Auron has the same thing. So two strong characters that can go against the fiends with harder exteriors would be better than one. :hmmm: Either way you'll find Kimahri useless down the line. If you find yourself thinking that at least rotate him in to try and learn some Blue Mage abilities. His ultimate overdrive (which I believe is Nova) is fucking kick ass.

Seymour's magic spells sequence: Blizzard, Thunder, Water, Fire. So cast NulFrost, NulShock, NulTide, and NulBlaze. If you do that you'll be able to beat him. And yeah, he does banish aeons after fight one. I never used aeons in the last battle against him, but I'm gonna assume he banishes them then too. So you'll Aeons will get one turn (make it count) and then they'll be banished from the battle.

Helpful abilities:

Entrust was already mention, as was Quick Hit. These are very helpful.
Cheer: Raises strength and I believe defenses as well
Focus: Raise Magic and Magic Defense (good against Seymour battles in case he does get a spell in on you)
Aim: Raises Accuracy
Guard
Provoke
Luck

Etc. The rest you should know to use like Haste and such.

Also, when given the chance teach Yuna some Black Magic. Her magic is much more powerful than Lulu so when you give Yuna some Black Mage abilities she'll be able to kick ass on her own (good for Via Purifico)

If you like Blitzball then def. play it. You can get a lot of awesome items from the tournaments like Dark Matter.

And if you want to level up all characters, make sure you tag them all in and they make a move. Whether it's attack or defensive. Just being on the field will do nothing for them AP wise.

Ugh you're all so awesome!

I actually do love blitzball so I will probably play it a lot haha. Also I forgot you could rotate characters in battle so thank you all for reminding me!!
I was way too tired to play last night but I'm defo going to do it tonight. I'll keep all your advice in mind as I play :griin:

People should keep giving tips though :ahmed:

Wakka is actually the best character in the game if you are planning to go for the superbosses. If thats the case then make sure your Tidus, wakka and rikku are very powerful. Also I suggest that you level up everyone by switching in battle. It might get a little boring after a while but its not that hard. Kimahri is good in the beggining but absolutely useless by the end of the game. First fill each other part of the sphere grid then get all the melee to Auron side.. Well If you want just to complete the game this is not necessary so if you want to go for sidecontent ask for more advice and Ill tell you :)

More tips:

Give Tidus a funny and clever name for the lulz.

When you get Rikku: steal. Steal everything. Keep her in your party and keep stealing. The items you can get will help you customize your weapons. Here's a good list:

http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-10/wability.php

Use overdrives for Tidus as much as you can. He learns more overdrives by using them so many times in battle. Everyone else learns a different way I believe. Yuna only has one overdrive (Grand Summon), Rikku only has one Mix (but with the different items you can get numerous different attacks/spells/etc), Lulu has one which is Fury, Wakka learns his through Blitzball (the tournaments will have a new overdrive as an award based on how many games you've played), Kimahri's overdrives are learned through his Blue Mage ability, and Auron learns his through finding Jecht's Spheres throughout Spira.

I can't think of any more right now XD

Things I've learned by playing through final fantasy X six times:

Wakka will be your hardest hitter for majority of the game.

Rikku will probably be your weakest hitter, but her steal ability and item usage (grenades, etc) will make her invaluable.

Yuna will have the highest magic damage, though she will only learn one offensive oriented spell through her own tree (Holy).

Lulu's overdrive gets better with the more you use it. The more often you use it, the easier it is to get multi-casts.

Kihmari is a character that was added shortly before release of the game, so he is a little unique. He's supposed to be the 'whatever you want him to be' type of character. That being said, most people take him into the Black Mage area (his worst trait, by the way), and should probably be transferred to Wakka, Auron, or Tidus' grids. Rikku's works as well, but then he wont do much damage (though he will be able to steal / use like rikku).

If your Aeon has it's overdrive and Yuna has hers, you can cast her overdrive and it should let you use the Aeon's overdrive twice. *NOTE* I may be wrong on this as it's been a while since I've played / used overdrives)

Once you get the airship, you can return to previous temples and go into the room of the fayth to get extra items.

If you do get stuck, I'll be glad to help you out :-)

*Moved to FFX Help Booth*

I don't think I can help much, because for some reason, this the only main title FF game so far, in which I cannot beat the ridiculously overpowered (in my opinion) final bosses.

But I know there's a reward from the remiem temple chocobo racing that gives 30x wings to discovery. You can mix 2 of these with Rikku's overdrive, and all 3 characters will deal 9999 damage. That's pretty much what I did for the last quarter of the game, since I was so underleveled :mokken:.
Though if you are going for a perfect game, if I am not wrong the wings to discovery has other important uses and stuff.

The advice everyone else has given here is really good, but I want to emphasize: level up your characters. Then level them up again. And one more time.

It's not really a glitch per se, but Final Fantasy X's design makes it possible for you to reach a point where you are too underleveled to beat certain bosses, and at the same time unable to go back and grind to level up your characters more. I eventually gave up and used Gameshark to get through a couple bosses in this game, which kind of killed the fun. When FFX HD comes out, I swear I'm going to play through that game without cheating now that I am more prepared.

I did not have to grind when playing, but I'm just not terrible at games I suppose. If you want to get Anima, the coolest and best summon in the game, you have to get all the secret items in the every cloister of trials. Google the guides or whatever, but make sure to get each one when you visit the temple for the first time. Later on some temples are guarded by Dark Aeons, which can be a pain if you only want Anima.

Do the butterfly mini-game the first time you see it, you have shorter time limit if you come back to do it later

Awwww my thread go moved out of archives :D!!!!

You're no longer my least favourite mod, Ulty :ari:

Thanks guys for the tips, the butterfly thing, is that for the secret weapons?

I also heard that in Besaid Island after you get the bird summon thing, if you talk to a cat you get another overdrive. Is this right?

I also heard that in Besaid Island after you get the bird summon thing, if you talk to a cat you get another overdrive. Is this right?

Go back to Besaid (after first leaving the village but before going on to the boat heading for Kilika) and you'll find a lady with a dog in one of the huts. The dog will have "something strange in it's mouth", and that happens to be Valefor's second overdrive: Energy Blast.

Also, if you do plan to get Anima, make sure you get the special item in the Cloister of Trials in Bevelle the first time, which will be your only time because you can't go back there :lew: (Does that even make sense :hmmm:) So don't depend on going back there to get the special item cuz you can't.

Try to do some extra fighting earlier on in the game. Not heavy grinding, but just because once you hit Mount Gagazet the bosses will get noticeably harder, so it helps if you are a little farther ahead in the sphere grid than you should be.

Depending on the options you pick for speech, (like which option to say) you can have different people ride with you on that snow rider thingy before Macalania :jess: (if you don't know what I'm talking about then this sentence makes no sense). At least, I think that's how its decided :hmmm: I got Rikku every time, except once I got Lulu! :jess: It was very hot because I love Tidus X Lulu.

Anyways good luck on the playthrough :jay:

Edit: oh I see someone already commented on the snowmobile thingy :hmph:

Back