Red Mage
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Chanteru Chandora
FFXIV Server
Lamia
xqbzw3.jpg

Zidane is the only main FF character to have this unique feature added to his design!

In fact, the FFIX group is arguably the most interesting-looking out of all the FF games. :p

So, what do you think of Zidane's monkey tail?

Is it weird, strange, stupid, awkward "what the heck?"
OR
Is it cute, adorable, quirky, sexy, awesome?

Here are some images: FFIX, FF: Dissidia, Dissidia again, Theatrhythm

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Personally, I'm a fan! :ari:

I'm quite fond of the tail, especially 'cause it created such hilarious moments throughout the game. For instance, when Zidane and Steiner (a.k.a. "Rusty") argue in the cargo ship after leaving Dali, Zidane uses his tail to swing around and evade Steiner! xD (Here's the scene:
http://youtu.be/xfF5ljTTtq8?t=8m13s ; Special thanks to Green Link for this awesome FFIX LP! :3)

I love zidane's tail, it just a unique feature that works really well with his design concept, the cargo scene, just pure funny, also....

that line from tidus "I'm so grabbing your tail"......... :rofl:

I have always tough that Zidane is a Rip-off of Goku and its more evident in Zidane Role in the game wich for me makes him the less interesting character in any FF.

Haha, I sound so quiet and awkward in that lp...looking back on it.

Anyways, I love the tail. Making Zidane a genome is way more interesting than leaving him as a normal human. I don't think a normal human would have fit the party anyway...although Steiner's a normal human :hmmm: . Nah, he's one of the wonkiest characters in the party so that makes up for it :D

Also, at the poster before me, monkey men have been around since Planet of the Apes, so there's no point saying anyone copied anyone...possibly before :p

I wouldn't call it 'sexy,' but it is certainly one of Zindane's endearing features. :) I'm with you @Chanteru; his tail was involved in so many fun moments in the game! It was part of Zidane's evasive, daring and cheeky personality. He was like a monkey in spirit; his tail made it all the more possible for him to be as ghasty and hilarious as one. :lew:

Zidane just wouldn't be Zidane without the monkey tail. :)

I'm neutral about it. It's part of his character and all the people from his place of origin have tails, so it's not weird... but I don't love it either? It just is what it is.

Haha, I sound so quiet and awkward in that lp...looking back on it.

Anyways, I love the tail. Making Zidane a genome is way more interesting than leaving him as a normal human. I don't think a normal human would have fit the party anyway...although Steiner's a normal human :hmmm: . Nah, he's one of the wonkiest characters in the party so that makes up for it :D

Also, at the poster before me, monkey men have been around since Planet of the Apes, so there's no point saying anyone copied anyone...possibly before :p

Its not only the tail:
Zidane is from another world like Goku....Check
Zidane is a good natured person instead of the bloody world destroyer he should be like Goku....Check
It was raised by an Old Man (Baku) like Goku....Check
He meet another one of his kind (Kuja) wich he was suppossed to be more powerful than zidane just like vegeta and goku....Check
Zidane is capable of Trance naturally and Kuja need to induce it just like Goku and Vegeta when it comes to supersaiyayin phase whatever.......Check
The Tail of both Zidane and Goku.....Check

Completely original isnt it?

I like Zidane's tail.....but I would hardly call it 'sexy'. But then again, I'm not a furry. lol. But I voted that it's kinda weird since I don't agree it's sexy. Nor do I find it cute or anything. I think it's unique and it's something that makes him stand out and all...and in that way it's cool.

Sexy is not how I'd describe a tail Lmfao but I do like that Zidane has a tail, I think it makes him the most unique out of all the main ff characters, I also think it adds to his cheeky charm. I'm not sure why they added a tail, it's so random but I'm glad they did!

Its not only the tail:
Zidane is from another world like Goku....Check
Zidane is a good natured person instead of the bloody world destroyer he should be like Goku....Check
It was raised by an Old Man (Baku) like Goku....Check
He meet another one of his kind (Kuja) wich he was suppossed to be more powerful than zidane just like vegeta and goku....Check
Zidane is capable of Trance naturally and Kuja need to induce it just like Goku and Vegeta when it comes to supersaiyayin phase whatever.......Check
The Tail of both Zidane and Goku.....Check

Completely original isnt it?

:O

Mindblown

Now that you mention it, the similarities are really obvious. Thanks for pointing it out!
Going further, Goku is actually based on the classical Journey to the West.

:O

Mindblown

Now that you mention it, the similarities are really obvious. Thanks for pointing it out!
Going further, Goku is actually based on the classical Journey to the West.

Rip off at its worst, i knew that FFIX uses references to other FF games but its Dragon Ball reference is what remained in my mind for so long.

I wouldn't say it's sexy lol :P I think it's really cure and awsome though :D I love Zidane's tail. Sexy isn't what I'd call it though, although he could probably do some sexy thing with it *cough**cough*.

I really didn't like it in the beginning. I thought it completely ruined Zidane's image since...he was kind of cute imo. I remember squinting at my screen and going, "Is that a tail? Ok what was Square thinking, adding that furry brown tail to his butt :rage:" The significance of the tail was explained eventually, and I thought it was...okay. Just okay. I'm still not sold on the tail enough to think it's sexy.

However, I did see some official sketches done by Yoshitaka Amano where his tail looked more like a fox's tail than a monkey's. It was white too. Now that was quite sexy.

Oh gosh, I just realized that I probably sound like a freakin' furry now... ;___; I only referred to the tail being "sexy" 'cause it sounded silly, but it seems like it was taken seriously && now you guys probably think I'm a weirdo!! :gonk:

I still consider the tail to be cute though 'cause I sorta like the whole monkey idea, but not really sexy 'cause that's just... weird? xD; I'm glad most people are feeling the tail though, hehe~ :ari:

@kratoscar2008 - It's kinda crazy how you were able to point out all of those similarities! o_o idk, I still wouldn't call it a "rip-off" per se, but perhaps heavily inspired? xD I think there are quite a few characters post-DBZ who seem to be modeled after/inspired by Goku. For instance, Naruto's similarity with Goku has been mentioned in the past... I'm sure there are other characters, but I've been in-and-out of the "anime/manga universe" for some time now. ^^;

In any case, I don't see anything particularly wrong with Zidane being similar to Goku because it seems like a different take on Goku imo. For instance, Zidane and Goku don't have the same personality at all. (I don't think being "good-natured" sums up Zidane's personality entirely because he has a lot more depth to his character than just being "one of the good guys.") I think their likeliness is limited to their character background && some of the storyline... But mehh, he's not much of a rip-off to me since his character never screamed out "Hey, Goku look-alike!" in my eyes. ^^; I appreciate you pointing this out though, nonetheless! :3

I have always tough that Zidane is a Rip-off of Goku and its more evident in Zidane Role in the game wich for me makes him the less interesting character in any FF.

I was actually about to point out the Goku correlation, until I read your comment. I don't however see much in common between the two besides the tail and other numbered qualities of character, that may be indeed present in other likable protagonists as well; similarities in character do not imply parody.

Now, to the point about Zindane and his tail: is it not true that the general consensus points to FFIX as the most "Fantasy-like" of all the Final Fantasy games? (that is also debatable, and I would love to debate with whoever disagrees). The Fat Queen, the weird Jesters, the comical looking knight with chivalric tendencies, the cute black mage who turns out to be manufactured, the Giant talking rats, the regent-turned-frog, the castle turned eidolon, an evil forest that petrifies you, a giant frog creature that travels the world in search of delicious new foods.... etc. I could go on really.

I make the point [by putting the person of Zidane into context] that his tail is not really unique or strange within the broadness of the game. Equally strange things are going on in the game, of which people never speak of.

That said, I find his tail to fit his personality, its part of him, period.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I just realized that I probably sound like a freakin' furry now... ;___; I only referred to the tail being "sexy" 'cause it sounded silly, but it seems like it was taken seriously && now you guys probably think I'm a weirdo!! :gonk:

No...not a "weirdo" per say, just a furry. lol. :P

@kratoscar2008 - It's kinda crazy how you were able to point out all of those similarities! o_o idk, I still wouldn't call it a "rip-off" per se, but perhaps heavily inspired? xD I think there are quite a few characters post-DBZ who seem to be modeled after/inspired by Goku. For instance, Naruto's similarity with Goku has been mentioned in the past... I'm sure there are other characters, but I've been in-and-out of the "anime/manga universe" for some time now. ^^;

In any case, I don't see anything particularly wrong with Zidane being similar to Goku because it seems like a different take on Goku imo. For instance, Zidane and Goku don't have the same personality at all. (I don't think being "good-natured" sums up Zidane's personality entirely because he has a lot more depth to his character than just being "one of the good guys.") I think their likeliness is limited to their character background && some of the storyline... But mehh, he's not much of a rip-off to me since his character never screamed out "Hey, Goku look-alike!" in my eyes. ^^; I appreciate you pointing this out though, nonetheless! :3

Of course he is a rip-off, he is going to have some things different but his porpuse is still the same. FF9 is almost a reference to all FF and that was okay for me so the DB "reference" was not needed, on topic monkey tales are boring, i would prefer a dog tail.

how is a dog tail any different/better than a monkey tail?? :wacky: they're like... pretty much the same thing lmfao.

Back