Zidane's Monkey Tail: Weird or Sexy? xD

Do you like Zidane's monkey tail?

• Total voters
Monkey tails are mainstream? :hmmm:

Having watched a lot of Dragonball Z in the 90's, I can honestly say I never once drew any comparison between Zidane and Goku. I'm not saying that you can't draw comparisons between the two but to me, it's not that in your face obvious. Aliens being sent to another planet, even with the intent to destroy, really isn't all that original and has been done many times over.

That said, I can't really say I gave that much thought to Zidane's monkey tail. I mean it was there but I can't say I ever thought it was cute or fluffy or that I thought it was freaky or weird. I really enjoyed his character though.

Monkey tails are mainstream? :hmmm:

Having watched a lot of Dragonball Z in the 90's, I can honestly say I never once drew any comparison between Zidane and Goku. I'm not saying that you can't draw comparisons between the two but to me, it's not that in your face obvious. Aliens being sent to another planet, even with the intent to destroy, really isn't all that original and has been done many times over.

That said, I can't really say I gave that much thought to Zidane's monkey tail. I mean it was there but I can't say I ever thought it was cute or fluffy or that I thought it was freaky or weird. I really enjoyed his character though.

Well alien+shooter= 90% of shooters (Wich is almost a genre on its own), while the tail wasnt needed in FF9, what it is porpuse? Why the game is diferent with it? There is really no reason for it apart than diferenciate Zidane (Wich is an alien) from the rest of the earth habitants (Wich is unnecessary considering how many weirdos are in FF9 world) and so the only reason that is see the tail is for the DB "reference".

What i meant with mainstream is that there are a lot of japanese stuff with monkeys and a dog tail is more cute.

I think the tail is kind of a way to help express his personality more than anything. And to make him a unique character in the FF world 8(

You could ask why does any character have anything unique about them. Because it's just their design. Why aren't they all just generic, boring looking characters?

Everything copies everything anyways...there's nothing completely original out there anymore. That's why calling out something as unoriginal is completely pointless...
Anyways, it's a bloody tail :gasp:

Edit: No offence...I love this topic lmao

I think the tail is kind of a way to help express his personality more than anything. And to make him a unique character in the FF world 8(

You could ask why does any character have anything unique about them. Because it's just their design. Why aren't they all just generic, boring looking characters?

I would be okay with the tail if it werent for all the plot reasons that make Zidane a Goku rip-off.

I would be okay with the tail if it werent for all the plot reasons that make Zidane a Goku rip-off.

You keep on saying that Zidane is a Goku rip-off, not even implying that he is inspired by Goku, but affirming it. OK, I'm game.

In the real world, to prove your point, you have to list out empirical evidence. Not opinions, but examples that can be proved by going back to the game, checking them, and making a direct correlation with Goku.

Until you can prove your point, by giving a list of examples that make your Goku and Zidane argument rational , instead of blind assertions, you have nothing.

Now, to the point about Zidane and his tail: is it not true that the general consensus points to FFIX as the most "Fantasy-like" of all the Final Fantasy games? (that is also debatable, and I would love to debate with whoever disagrees). The Fat Queen, the weird Jesters, the comical looking knight with chivalric tendencies, the cute black mage who turns out to be manufactured, the Giant talking rats, the regent-turned-frog, the castle turned eidolon, an evil forest that petrifies you, a giant frog creature that travels the world in search of delicious new foods.... etc. I could go on really.

I make the point [by putting the person of Zidane into context] that his tail is not really unique or strange within the broadness of the game. Equally strange things are going on in the game, of which people never speak of.

That said, I find his tail to fit his personality, its part of him, period.

You raised a really good point - within the context of FFIX, Zidane's monkey tail really isn't so unique in the grand scheme of things. I didn't realize how fantasy-like FFIX was until you mentioned those points, so thank you for that! It reinforces the reason as to why FFIX is my favorite game out of the series! :chocobo:

@kratoscar2008 - I don't really consider monkey tails to be mainstream; if anything, cat tails and cat ears are much more mainstream throughout video games/manga/anime,etc. However, a dog tail would be a nice change of pace perhaps! :p

Ehh, it depends on the type of dog though. Some dogs have really skinny, not-so-fluffy tails, which seem sorta bland to me. Almost like a rat tail, except with a little more fur on it. >_>; That would look pretty strange! xD

I personally find it weird in the sense that it doesn't look like its meant to be there. Even in dissidia when his design is refined, it looks off. In general a tail isn't that bad of an idea, but a monkey one? i'm not so sure. compred to everyone else, it looks off the most by not fitting his own unique design.

I personally find it weird in the sense that it doesn't look like its meant to be there. Even in dissidia when his design is refined, it looks off. In general a tail isn't that bad of an idea, but a monkey one? i'm not so sure. compred to everyone else, it looks off the most by not fitting his own unique design.

But...he has monkey features all over...so he has a monkey tail :/

Monkey tsil is the only feature. Plus the tail looks plain. Its not ike the rest of tthe characters.

So? The summoner tribe all had horns and that was their only unique feature. They needed something to make Zidane different from everyone else without it being really obvious that he wasn't from that world. Tails are extremely popular for that sort of thing, Goku's tail certainly wasn't an original idea. What would you have suggested Zidane have?

So? The summoner tribe all had horns and that was their only unique feature. They needed something to make Zidane different from everyone else without it being really obvious that he wasn't from that world. Tails are extremely popular for that sort of thing, Goku's tail certainly wasn't an original idea. What would you have suggested Zidane have?
Missing the point. Its not that he has a tail but a monkey tail. And summoners are different. Thats a job class not character.

Zidane already looked like he was part of the world. And goku turned into a giant monkey. And the tail was not really optional. It was a nice feature.

Missing the point. Its not that he has a tail but a monkey tail. And summoners are different. Thats a job class not character.

Zidane already looked like he was part of the world. And goku turned into a giant monkey. And the tail was not really optional. It was a nice feature.

The horn wasn't done because of a job class, it was done for storyline purposes, just like Zidane's tail. The rods they carry are there because of the job class.
What you don't seem to get is that for the first part of the game we have no idea that there are heaps of other genomes, we see none of them, there needed to be something that made people think there was something slightly off about Zidane so that when the time came you got that 'oh right, I should have noticed that' sort of feeling. It couldn't bee too obvious though. What would you have suggested? As for it being a monkey tail, that's the most natural tail to put on a human body I would say since humans and monkeys don't look all that different.

The horn wasn't done because of a job class, it was done for storyline purposes, just like Zidane's tail. The rods they carry are there because of the job class.
What you don't seem to get is that for the first part of the game we have no idea that there are heaps of other genomes, we see none of them, there needed to be something that made people think there was something slightly off about Zidane so that when the time came you got that 'oh right, I should have noticed that' sort of feeling. It couldn't bee too obvious though. What would you have suggested? As for it being a monkey tail, that's the most natural tail to put on a human body I would say since humans and monkeys don't look all that different.
It wasnt a great feature. When i look at zidane in dissidia in both normal and ex mode i see zidane with spiky hair but his tail is plain and boring.

I still believe a different more stylish tail wouldve been great. Like a tail that no other animal in real life has. Like a wolf-like tail to match the type of hair zindane has.

It has nothing to do with tail or no tail. So no point mentioning why he has one.

The horn wasn't done because of a job class, it was done for storyline purposes, just like Zidane's tail[/B]. The rods they carry are there because of the job class.

It was done for the jobs of both Garnet and Eiko, just look at previous FF summoner jobs and you will see the horn, and in Zidane case doesnt make sense at all (Unless you agree with my theory)

It was done for the jobs of both Garnet and Eiko, just look at previous FF summoner jobs and you will see the horn, and in Zidane case doesnt make sense at all (Unless you agree with my theory)

It was also a mark of the Summoner tribe at Madain Sari. So it's not just a job thing, it's also (and primarily) a genetic thing. In fact, Garnet is able to summon despite the absence of her horn. So it's not needed to actually do the summoning.

It was also a mark of the Summoner tribe at Madain Sari. So it's not just a job thing, it's also (and primarily) a genetic thing. In fact, Garnet is able to summon despite the absence of her horn. So it's not needed to actually do the summoning.

It is the same the summoner history was tailored according to the characteristics of previous FFs summoner Jobs as this game was a tribute to all previous FFs, as Alexandria is tailored to the all female reign in FF4 (Wich i cant quite remember)

It is the same the summoner history was tailored according to the characteristics of previous FFs summoner Jobs as this game was a tribute to all previous FFs, as Alexandria is tailored to the all female reign in FF4 (Wich i cant quite remember)

I agree. But what separates Summoners from humans as a race is their horn.

Yeah but saying that it was merely a plot reason would have been blind.

Yeah, but complaining about Zidane's tail as if he's the only one in the party with strange traits on his person is also a little blind and seems like looking for something that isn't really there.

Back