FFV: What would you change?

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Going with the pattern of 'what would you change' threads, here's one for FFV.

I haven't played FFV, so I don't really have anything to say for now. But do you?

For me, the biggest thing was the story. Especially in the beginning of the game. It starts out so slow and is rather dull to me. I don't know how other fans feel but I just couldn't connect with the characters, or really care what was going on in the world.

I would not change anything the game is so great, well maybe some things:

Easiest level up, later in the game it becomes so hard to level up and i like my characters to reach Lv 99.

A colisseum like in FF6 and 7.

Apart from it the game is perfect my favorite FF so far.

Dont get me wrong I like this game a lot but there are 2 things that bug me!
-Bartz personality is bland for a main character
-THE FREAKING RANDOM ENCOUNTERS NEAR THE END OF THE GAME ARE STARTING TO GET UNBEARABLE! SERIOUSLY WHY SO MANY?!??!?

Well. Since I will Admit Ive only gotten to the part with Gilgamesh and his Arrival I say, hmm playing it now on my PSP (Yes dusted that off) The Save Glitch...-,- and More of a Back Story to each character

More story definitely. V was perfect the way it was but it's not in my top 3 and the only thing I can think of that I didn't really enjoy as much as I should have was the story. It also felt incredibly short compared to IV.

I think I would probably change the fact that Red Mages can only cast up to level 3 black/white magic (I haven't played this is forever so I could totally be wrong, but I think that's how it went), so it makes them useful pretty much only early in the game. I know it would be EXTREMELY OP for Red Mages to be able to cast up to like 8 black and white, but hey, that would be pretty cool (and way to easy :trollface: )

I think I would probably change the fact that Red Mages can only cast up to level 3 black/white magic (I haven't played this is forever so I could totally be wrong, but I think that's how it went), so it makes them useful pretty much only early in the game. I know it would be EXTREMELY OP for Red Mages to be able to cast up to like 8 black and white, but hey, that would be pretty cool (and way to easy :trollface: )

Yes you are right Red mages get uselles after some time so it would be awesome if they get buffed.

I like the story of FFV, its both funny and serious and has the most saddest plot twist in the franchise.

The game has very few characters compared to FFIV and FFVI and none of them were as interesting. The story lacks depth and starts off too slow, but it actually grows on you as the game goes along with the characters. I felt the game became what I was expecting a Final Fantasy to be in World 2 and I began to enjoy it after its not so promising start. Overall I loved the game even though it has some shortcomings. The job system is great, Gilgamesh makes his first appearance, its the first FF to have super bosses, and the Interdimensional Rift was a pretty cool last dungeon.

I make my own Red Mages; use a White Mage with the highest !Black ability. They aren't as good physically as a Red Mage might be, but magically they're fantastic.

The only thing I'd change is I'd flesh the character's personalities out a little more. Pegged between FFIV and FFVI, the cast of FFV seem a little flat by comparison.

Welcome to the forum!

I liked your article, I really did. I agree on a lot of points, but one or two things I disagree with. (my numberings correspond to yours in your article)

1) I'm not familiar with the auto-battle feature; it wasn't in the SNES or PSX versions. I think it starts off the same pace as most FF games, you have a handful of jobs (or, a few pieces of materia, a limited space on the Sphere Grid, 2 GFs...), and the game slowly gathers pace as you unlock more abilities with AP, or you get more jobs. I personally think the pacing of FFV is spot on, I love the way the game gradually gathers speed, like a snowball. It reminds me of FFVII in that materia levels up, and you unlock abilities that way the same as the jobs unlock more abilities as you fight. So the party grows both with new jobs/materia as well as said jobs/materia levelling up.

Honestly, I think most RPGs start basic. Pokémon (all games) start with one Pokémon hitting Tackle for the first couple hours of gameplay. It depends if you approach it creatively or not, but I wouldn't say FFV is overly simple (or rather, not more so than other FF titles, or most games in the RPG genre).

2) I can't argue with the lazy storytelling. In fact, in my previous post I mentioned that I felt the story element was lacking. Although, the issue of the cross-dressing pirate, again I think may be down to the iPhone port. There is no dialogue art in the version I played, but it's a very small point. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, so even if I had telegraphed the "twist" it wouldn't have had much bearing on the gaming experience for me.

3) Can't really see the "man boobs" on the SNES/PSX versions, but yeah, he isn't as cool as Cecil, Terra/Locke, Cloud, Squall.

5) I don't know about this one either. Again, probably just a symptom of the iPhone version.

6) As I said above, FFV doesn't take itself as seriously as some of the other games, for better or for worse. I personally don't mind it, because I think the main attraction of the game is the job system. I like that I can play the game over and over and play with a different set up every time. I like that you can make it was simple or as complex as you want. The lightheartedness of the game is... different, and I can totally see why someone wouldn't like it. You see flashes of that kind of tone in other titles in the series, but FFV has generous helpings of it all over the place.

Again, I enjoyed your article. Hope you can contribute to the forum again in the future ;)

Honestly i think V could have some secret class like the advance version I would love to have a Necromancer. Well some changes can be more story and more of a back story to some of the characters in the game like Faris and Reina. uhm some of the game mechanics can be reset and changed too like I played it on the PSP (PSN store) and the save glitch can be changed and the final dungeon I dont get EXP for killing behemoths and other various monsters

To be honest, the only thing I would change is make all items, magic, or summons available even at the end of game.

It really bothers me that some are missable.

Back