FFVII: What would you change?

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
I guess we will make this a routine thing. Everybody loves doing this, right? :wacky:

FFVII is a great game. But I'm sure there are things that you had wished to be different. Tell us more about it!

(Take note that this is for the original FFVII, and not for other title in the compilation)

For me,
1. The scene where:
Tifa and Cloud is in a bizarre place trying to recover his memory
. Personally, I think this scene will look ridiculous in HD remake. They should make this simple. Probably something like in Advent Children where Cloud and Aerith meet in the empty, bright place.

2. Airships can't land on anything except grass :gasp:. I hate this mechanic. I know the better chocobos can do this, but I am not into chocobo breeding and stuff. They should at least make a secret airship that is not horribly hard to get.

3. Materia reducing HP. I think twice when putting materia every time I see my HP reduced. reducing MP or speed would be better, I think.

4. Enemies that steal your items. It's alright if you can retrieve them in some method, like in Lost Odyssey. But losing a really precious item is not funny.

I will probably think of more later on.

I would change the gfx first of all :lew: I like the graphics but they need to be more human-esk now! Another thing I'd change was all the vagueness about Cloud's past. I wanna know about his mom and dad and stuff. And like you said, I would have to change the airship not being able to land on anything other then grass.

Um, I would love more mini games too! :kira:

Cait Sith would die at the Temple and not have a replacement. The replacement sort of makes the sacrifice Cait Sith made really pointless.

Reeve would join in instead. He'll like have a machine gun type weapon. badass. :jess:

Mod edit: I had absolutely no knowledge of that! :ahmed: Remember to use spoiler tags. :cheer:
Thank you! ^_^ Lirael

^

But it's Final Fantasy VII :thehell: Everybody knows about VII ....

Last edited:
Lirael hasn't finished the game :P

It's always safer to use spoiler tags~

But famous things like Aerith dying shouldn't be a problem because everyone knows that.

Haha, yeah, I'm working on VII at the moment. ;) I don't mind spoilers, but some members do. :sad3:

Based on what I have played, I'd certainly change the rules in regards to Stealing. It's infurtiating when enemies steal important items then run away before you can defeat them. :gasp:

I'm not too happy with Materia reducing HP either and agree with Hendra; it should affect your Speed instead. :hmmm:

Like Cali, I wouldn't mind seeing a FFVII with updated graphics. Whilst searching for FF Trivia questions, I stumbled across a showcase version of VII's opening with PS3 graphics. I felt more excited about that than the prospect of a XIII-3. :wacky: (and I love the XIII series...)

(They should remake VI, VII AND VIII. :sad3:)

Haha, yeah, I'm working on VII at the moment. ;) I don't mind spoilers, but some members do. :sad3:

Okay. I'm sorry Lirael. :tighthug:

Like Cali, I wouldn't mind seeing a FFVII with updated graphics. Whilst searching for FF Trivia questions, I stumbled across a showcase version of VII's opening with PS3 graphics. I felt more excited about that than the prospect of a XIII-3. :wacky: (and I love the XIII series...)

New stylish graphics and sound with VA would be pretty neat. Yes so much and a remake of FF VI too ! :woo:

Wow, that is the first time I've ever met a FFer that's never played VII say that it should be remade 8(

Shocking, but in a good way :ohoho:

Another thing I wouldn't mind being changed would be the battle system. I loved playing it, but I think gamers today would find that kind of RPG very... slow and not as interactive as most games nowadays, which would probably bore gamers. I'm thinking a battle system that's sorta like XIII-2 or XII or even the KH series would uplift the gaming aspect by a lot. A battle system like that would give a new face lift to the game but still maintain that FF RPG vibe we all love so much.

Besides, I love the idea of seeing Cloud fighting in almost a free-roam style. :ohoho: Then his kick butt moves would be even better :cali:

I agree with most of the previous suggestions...

1) Updated graphics would be a MUST! Horse-hooves for hands just won't cut it. I mean, look at the graphics in FFVIII, which was released shortly afterwards! xD I did like how the characters' faces looked though, particularly the eyes, not the non-existent nose and mouth.

2) Definitely more details regarding Cloud's past. I thought that the story would deepen by the time they reached Nibelheim, but not much was revealed about Cloud's childhood (aside from some brief memories with Tifa). FFVII: Crisis Core didn't really bother to shed light on Cloud's life prior to SOLDIER either, but obviously it was mostly centered on Zack, so that's to be expected...

3) Make chocobo breeding easier!
But I guess it's worth it in the end, right? :p

Agree with points about the graphics. I think the music, although brilliantly written does sound a little dated and would need re-recording with real instruments or remixing.

As far as gameplay, I would provide an option to make the summon sequences shorter.

Uncle Ulty, I love that idea about Reeve. That would make a great deal of sense.

I would like to think that if they remade VII, instead of doing a direct remake, they should make VII again except playing as Sephiroth. I would love to play the game in Sephiroth's shoes. I think villain perspectives are much fun! It would also be cool if there was a good and bad ending, and in one of those Sephiroth was successful.

I would have Aeris survive and be in party

Have Sephiroth good and In party

Have a different final boss

add Sapphire, Jade, Omega weapons as bosses.

Not have Materia add penalties

Increase the level cap to 100

HP cap to 99999 at least

MP cap to 9999 at least

Make the game longer

The graphics (obviously). The story was fine, but some optional events could be handled a little more realistically. Other than that, i think it seems fine the way it is.maybe amp'd the gameplay if it was possible to make it more enjoyable (which for any game, it can)

A lot of this was well thought out, but changing the battle system... REALLY!?!

most likely a bit of trolling. materia is also plot related. it can't be removed

Lol, there really was no trolling intended. It would just ruin it for me if they changed the gameplay. I am not saying they shouldn't add to it, but it should stay the same over all. A game is made up of several things, but you can have everything else be amazing, but if the gameplay sucks then the game sucks. Changing the gameplay for FFVII would make it suck no matter what else you changed!

1. Vincent's ultimate weapon. Because it's shit
2. Red XIII's final limit break. It has a damage cap of a measly 9999
3. You get to keep the BP earned from the battle square even after leaving
4. You would get Bolt2 and Ice2 around the same time you get Fire2. Red XIII has a fire materia that is higher in AP, and you naturally get Fire2 way before the others
5. The price for All materia is entirely too damn high!
6. I'd have an extreme physical barrier magic to match the Shield materia.
7. Tonberries could heal their selves with Demi
8. Character's final limit breaks would come from items. For example, Cloud would get ominslash from 'hair gel' instead of an 'omnislash' mystery object.
9. The AP needed to master Double Cut is entirely too damn high!
10. I would have some sort of elevator that you can activate halfway through the Crater.

Lol, there really was no trolling intended. It would just ruin it for me if they changed the gameplay. I am not saying they shouldn't add to it, but it should stay the same over all. A game is made up of several things, but you can have everything else be amazing, but if the gameplay sucks then the game sucks. Changing the gameplay for FFVII would make it suck no matter what else you changed!
It wont suck unless they somehow make it better. E
Its not impossible.

Im imagining some expansion to it, not a complete 180

There isn't too much that I would change. Maybe have the Gold Chocobo also be able to fly like in Final Fantasy 9.

I would have Aeris survive and be in party Have Sephiroth good and In party Have a different final boss add Sapphire, Jade, Omega weapons as bosses. Not have Materia add penalties Increase the level cap to 100 HP cap to 99999 at least MP cap to 9999 at least Make the game longer
So basically you'd fuck up the whole story :dead:

Since the old days I was always obsessed with reviving Aerith. I recall going through websites back in middle school trying to figure out if there was really a way to bring her back. It kind of became an obsession for a while (I know, creepy bastard). So I know that it makes not damn sense storywise, but I would like to see a fan mod in which you can bring back Aerith by performing a quest of sort. In regard to an HD remake, I don't think the game could properly translate to HD, I am one of those people that pleaded for a proper sequel (no spinnoffs) but doesn't concur with the majority and would rather not get an HD remake.

I agree about the airship only landing on grass. I would change that in pretty much all the FF games that have that limitation.

Back