FFVII: What would you change?

Another thing I wouldn't mind being changed would be the battle system. I loved playing it, but I think gamers today would find that kind of RPG very... slow and not as interactive as most games nowadays, which would probably bore gamers. I'm thinking a battle system that's sorta like XIII-2 or XII or even the KH series would uplift the gaming aspect by a lot. A battle system like that would give a new face lift to the game but still maintain that FF RPG vibe we all love so much.

Besides, I love the idea of seeing Cloud fighting in almost a free-roam style. :ohoho: Then his kick butt moves would be even better :cali:

I'll have to disagree with you friend... to my opinion FFXII was not bad, but they just kind of destroyed te classic system.. It wasn't final fantasy anymore:sad3:, It was another game withe the same spells, weapons, armor, skills, and monsters from the classic Final Fantasies...
Sincerely, I really wished Square Enix brought back the turn-based games like all the Final Fantasies from I to X-2....

Make the Kalm flashback quicker/skippable and get rid of the cross dressing.

Wow, that is the first time I've ever met a FFer that's never played VII say that it should be remade 8(

Shocking, but in a good way :ohoho:

Another thing I wouldn't mind being changed would be the battle system. I loved playing it, but I think gamers today would find that kind of RPG very... slow and not as interactive as most games nowadays, which would probably bore gamers. I'm thinking a battle system that's sorta like XIII-2 or XII or even the KH series would uplift the gaming aspect by a lot. A battle system like that would give a new face lift to the game but still maintain that FF RPG vibe we all love so much.

Besides, I love the idea of seeing Cloud fighting in almost a free-roam style. :ohoho: Then his kick butt moves would be even better :cali:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you 100% on the battle system being used like XIII and XIII-2's. I think those battle systems are quite terrible myself. There were very very few fights that I actually put spells and actions in a direct order of how I wanted them to be done. For the most part though that game is basically mashing Auto Battle and watching the characters move around. Kinda lame and gets away from the Final Fantasy "feel".

I've just mentioned this in another topic. One of the only bugbears I have about FFVII is that Yuffie and Vincent have little to no input in the major scenes and the big group conversations. If they do say anything, a compulsory character will say something which ignores it completely. Obviously, their lines are written in such a way that it doesn't interfere with a scene should their lines not be spoken, which to me cheapens those two characters, and makes me not want to use them a little bit. I'd like to see those scenes reworked very slightly to include these two characters a little more.

I suppose I'd like a little more incentive to bet on the Chocobo races at the Gold Saucer. As it stands at the moment, breeding is a sure fire way to earn most of the amazing items the game has to offer. Betting on the races on Disc 1 is essentially throwing your GP away, in my opinion.

my own opinions towards this subject:-

1. The Turks should have become playable characters after the final encounter with them in Midgar (or at some earlier stage in the game and then the story would have been adjusted accordingly).
2. Aeris shouldn't have died but instead used the holy materia to call forth the lifestream after the final battle with Sephiroth, she was too much fun playing to just lose after disk 1.
3. The home town segments of the game should have been longer, you just seem to skim through all of these places so fast, could have had a bit more story and game play in these areas.
4. More mini games : - they probably could have spent a bit more time developing some more mini games to put in, the mini games that exist already are great don't get me wrong, but there could have been something a bit more in depth, like blitzball in ffX something that can reward you with different weapons / armor / items - GIL.
5. Characters could have been a bit more individual with their own fighting styles (not talking about limits) Like in FF9 where each character had their own skills and abilities, ff7 just had every character able to use the same magic, summons and such, with only slight differences depending on stats (which you could boost with sources anyway)
6. Ofcourse the graphics and music could be re-worked too just to add a more up to date crisp feel.

Thats about my two cents.

I would get rid of those damn arcade games at the gold saucer. Those were to time consuming for little reward.

I would make Lucrecia both Sephiroth's mom and Aeris's. That way, her mom would be someone who actually was in the story instead of a woman who randomly shows up at a train station and then dies. Also, it would have created more of a connection between the hero's dream girl and the main villain. Plus, Lucrecia's obviously designed to look as much like Aeris as possible.

The downside of this is that the hentai fan fic community would get 15 times worse.

Nothing :D

But if i'had the possibility to change some thing... I would change:
1) The Screenplay, the plot is fantastic, but the screenplay isn't the maximum ^^"
2) The difficulty, FF7 is the easiest jrpg that I've played after FF8
3) The exploration. All to criticize FF10 and 13 for the exploration, but also FF7 is no far

This fucking submarine-key- searching....
Didn't know where to look for this key and had to look it up :(

I stated this in the Aeris topic, but I would definitely liked to have seen her live a little bit longer than she did in the game. Maybe survive 1 more disc to get a little more face-time with the party members and the battle scene. I really didn't use Aeris that much in battle, but I feel we lost control of her before we fully got to know her.

I'd make the magic more effective. By the time your characters start dealing 9999 damage with every physical attack there's no incentive to waste MP and time on a magic spell. Also, maybe a more diverse end game battle mode. The battle square was pointless once you unlocked the top prizes and there were only 2 super bosses.

i would change the graphics and quality of the music. i would use facial recognition, realistic cgi, and music that wasn't produced with a computer. i would also add more minigames and delve into the cetra/jenova history more. idk why square hasn't made a spin off yet for the cetra/jenova story but it would be amazing if they did.

i would also like for the game to put more storyline between the start of the game up to the point aerith dies. her death really was very quick and there is so much more they could have fit between her death.

The graphics (obviously)
Have a much more faithful and better written translation.
Increase the overall difficulty level to the point where spells actually make a difference.
Give more focus to Cloud and Aeris's relationship (seriously after Midgar they had only three meaningful scenes together, two of which were optional).
Remove the slap fight, it was just stupid and clashed with the otherwise serious tone.
Give a satisfying ending, one that retcons Advent Children.

They should not have Jesse die, make her a playable character, have her in the party, i think having someone with her abilities as a PC would be awesome, and give alot of technological knowhow for other parts of the game, like maybe having her fix the tiny bronco so it can actually fly again in short bursts so it can go on some areas but not as often or as far as the airship but alleviates some of the annoyance

I'd love to see more areas where one could buy up some property like the villa in Costa Del Sol. could be a fun market for that.
would love to see ways to improve weapons and armor (perhaps consume a materia crystal to give your sword a permanent Poison or armor as well [need to also consume added effect to gain that sort of properties]) i would model it off of kingdom hearts and (take your pick of some of the later final fantasy games)
i wouldnt mind the airship landing change
i'd love to see an expanded chocobo racing circuit. maybe make it so you have to be champ of each arena in order to participate in S class at gold saucer

One thing I disliked in some FF games (including VII) is that you can't see the damage you do beyond 9999. Do you even surpass the cap.
I think in FFX or FFX-2 (not sure) you got numbers like 15000 etc. I found that quite cool. I really have never thought hard about what I'd change. Maybe have the characters appear in important events not just the people who are in your party. But i'm sure that is being taken care of as of the Remake.

i would refine the "Vincent - hojo" last conversation. since he was waiting in coffin for 30 years, they both should make " a night to remember " but unfortunately i didn't like the scene. hope they made it in Remake.
another thing is what one of other friends says : character graphic design to be more like humans.

Back