Anyone here playing this game right now? If so, why?

I started this game again and have 14hrs of play, now I'm nearly at the end of CD1. This time i will focus on getting more (all) spells and use them to. I used to heal everyone only with items (elixir/final elixir) and use G.F.s and later attacks only, but e.g. Ultima or Meteor do incredible damage too ;) I'll see how I like it to use some spells in fight too!

Just started my nth replay last week. Currently on the SeeD Field Exam, hehe. By now, I could pass this exam in my sleep :P

I replay the game every year or so... Certain songs/shows or something will remind me of the Balamb song or some other tune from the game and I can't help myself! I have never found a game that has given me more enjoyment, even though I'm playing through it again for the umpteenth time. (And I've played most FFs and many many other titles). Although they are all enjoyable, it's just not the same as good ol' FF8.

If I replay this game again, it's definitely because of the card mode . So exciting when you win and frustrating when you lose a precious card.

Although years ago I got to Edna's final battle, I couldn't get past the big boss that seemed to take half an hour to beat before it.
I still have my original second hand copy, but none of the PS3's I've had managed to load up the front disc like it does for FF VII.
I'd love to give it another go as there were moments I remember enjoying.
I have noticed (And could be wrong) an influence of this game in next year's big PS4 new title.
It's stylistically apart from both VII and IX. As are they all, but this appears to be going for the realism in graphics for the PSOne at least!

I am replaying just because I like the game and it was one of the First Final Fantasy games I played and owned at the time the PSX came out. I wanted to see why folks tend to go the SiD theory. So far it seems that theory makes no sense at all so that theory is dead in the water. I wanted to believe it cause it would make some sense....somewhat.But it simply doesn't.Talk about plot holes in that theory lol. I also like the whole SeeD idea and on top of that they are orphans so I can relate. So FF VIII has a special placein my heart and that's why I wanted to play it again.

I'm not actually playing it right now, but I downloaded it on my PS Vita and am about to start it up. My buddy texted me the other day and said he downloaded 7 and 8 off the PS Store and he highly urged me to join him as well. I thought to myself for a second: "Retro gaming? Shit you don't have to ask me twice!" I then proceeded to download it as my 1st ever PS Vita purchase. XD
So yeah, over the weekend I'm going to play the ever loving shit out of this game.

Actually doing a let's play of it with my friend. Mainly because it is such a nostalgia bomb for the both of us and it tends to have a lot of things to make hay out of in terms of humorous banter.

Here's the first episode. More on the youtube page!

I watched a lets play and said "heck, i can play it"

I just started, i think i'm near edea in disk one at the parade hehe :) love this game

I'll be getting it through Steam to play it again.

Looking forward to the nostalgia.

Have just started a new play through yesterday. Basically just achievement whoring on steam :D its fun though. at 76% so far, so we will see what i can do :D

I'm playing it with a friend just to say I beat all the main series Final Fantasy games. I tried to play it once a long time ago, but I could never get into it. I got my friend to play it along with me, and the two of us riff on everything, thus making the sheer soul-crushing misery of this game more bearable. Yeah, I'm about 2/3 through Disc 1 and so far, I loathe this game. But I have to beat it just to say I did, and so I can properly articulate just what it is about this game that I can't stand.

I've been considering giving it another chance, maybe try and get the Lionheart on disc 1. Maybe once I've cleared my backlog up a bit though.

Objectively, I know this entry in the series is near the bottom of my personal list. I actually think FFII and FFV are better (but not FFXIII!--and yes, I mean Japanese FFII; I've always loved the wacky mechanics of SaGa). But subjectively, FFVIII came out at an important time in my life. It was my last year of Junior High, I had a pack of friends who all loved jRPGs, I didn't have to worry about college or a career yet, my mom hadn't had her first bipolar episode, I hadn't developed my own OCD symptoms yet, we hadn't yet euthanized the cat that had been with us all my life, I lived in blissful ignorance of world or even U.S. politics, 9/11 was still two years in the future, I was still just young enough to take part in Pokémania, and Monster Rancher came on Fox Kids every afternoon (because afternoon 'toons that weren't SpongeBob reruns were still a thing).

So as I've gotten back into Pokémon, I've also started playing FFVIII again. Because for me, it represents the end of an era of innocence, an Eden that was, as of then, untouched by most of the crap that followed--the decline in quality of Square titles, my increasing social isolation, and the loss of the Pax Americana. I know logically that I shouldn't want to play FFVIII... But I do.

I heard a rumor that it was coming to the Xbox One as a remastered game so I’m gonna download it then and play it. I recently downloaded FFIX when they re-released it on xbox so the FFVIII game will be right up my alley but gonna wait til it’s available on xbox! It’s been 17 years since I’ve played the original on the PlayStation.

Back