Anyone here playing this game right now? If so, why?

kuranza

ShinRa Guard
Gil
So the title says it all, for me the reason is that I never really actually beat the game..... well I did but I don't remember it and also I missed a lot of things so recently I started playing again.

Strangely enough, I am. I've recently been watching the "Let's Play FFVIII" on YouTube during weekend overtime :awesome:

That really made me want to start it again - which I did about 3 weeks ago. I'm now onto Disk 2, about to visit Trabia.

It's interesting to go through it all again and pick up on little details I've previously missed. I don't know if it's because I've done FFVIII several times, but I'm finding it to be quite easy so far...

Yeah same as Farro. Started watching s a Lets Play on youtube and felt like playing the game again.

I'm up to the part where you head into Fisherman's H.

Stunning music.:)

I'm just started on disc 3 and I notice that you don't even know who your real enemy is until near the end :gonk: the story is good and all but there are so many holes........ do either of you still wonder why Squall commented on how he had no wounds at the beginning of disc 2 when Edea stabbed him with icicles? iirc basically near where his heart was..... this game is all memories for me though, fond memories :3

Yeah same as Farro. Started watching s a Lets Play on youtube and felt like playing the game again.

I'm up to the part where you head into Fisherman's H.

Stunning music.:)

I love that part. Although, I've just realised how much Flo (Martine's wife) annoys me - she's such a dick!

Out of curiosity, which Let's Play have you been watching? I've been going through the Whitemageserenia series. It's pretty good :awesome:

I'm just started on disc 3 and I notice that you don't even know who your real enemy is until near the end :gonk: the story is good and all but there are so many holes........ do either of you still wonder why Squall commented on how he had no wounds at the beginning of disc 2 when Edea stabbed him with icicles? iirc basically near where his heart was..... this game is all memories for me though, fond memories :3

There are some plot holes, granted. I can't say I wonder about the icicle wound, I think it's on his right hand side anyway which isn't near his heart. Well, it shouldn't be anyway :gasp: People that like this game always seem to like it because of the memories it produces - I'm one of those people too! I always find myself looking forward to certain parts of the story that are coming up.

Oh, there is a theory about FFVIII that tries to explain some of the plot holes. There are several, but one that focuses on Squall in particular. If you're interested, just PM me and I can send you the link. I would just do it here, but the title of the website is such a ridiculous spoiler it would give it away instantly XD

I love that part. Although, I've just realised how much Flo (Martine's wife) annoys me - she's such a dick!

Out of curiosity, which Let's Play have you been watching? I've been going through the Whitemageserenia series. It's pretty good :awesome:

She is. She basically downright gets the idea across that she doesn't like Squall and the others just because they're SeeDs. She's very rude.

HC Bailey. He doesn't like the game too much though he's very good at the game and he gives tons advice about the cards and everything !

I'll check out whitemageserenia right now !
:)

HC Bailey. He doesn't like the game too much though he's very good at the game and he gives tons advice about the cards and everything !

I'll check out whitemageserenia right now !
:)

I started with him, but didn't fancy watching a whole LP from a person that clearly doesn't like it. That's why I went for whitemageserenia - he seems to like the game at least!

Let me know what you think ^_^

I started with him, but didn't fancy watching a whole LP from a person that clearly doesn't like it. That's why I went for whitemageserenia - he seems to like the game at least!

Let me know what you think ^_^

Okay.

I loved his reviews until CD 2 and then I felt like everything went downhill. His videos got waay too long. Really disappointing because his CD 1 Lets Play was fantastic.

He has potential to shine and feel like his Lets Play was great until the longer videos and guest stars that were hard to hear. Real shame. Though if it was him VS HC Bailey would have to pick him, because HC Bailey during his FF8 seems really sarcastic. He's fine with other Lets Play but with FF8 you can tell he's not enjoying it.

I'm playing this game currently because i just downloaded it from the PSN network. Does anyone else love the opening scene as much as i do? I can't get over it!

I downloaded FFVIII and FFIX not long back on the PSN and I have been meaning to play FFVIII again..I got up to Fisherman's Horizon and was like I want to play FFIX now haha. FF8 had a lot of things different that I liked...it's approach on reality more than fantasy and it's junction system which can be very in depth at times. It is a shame that the story is very convoluted and plot holes riddle it.

I have FFVIII on my PS3 as well. I don't hate the game, but I feel that it suffers from plot holes and some mechanics. I love the junction system but I hate drawing magic. They could have made that part more fun. For the most part, I feel that people judge the game unfairly. My taste in Final Fantasy may have evolved over time as well. So in light of how the new Final Fantasy games have been, I may have learned to appreciate the older games more. I might watch a Let's Play of it. Maybe even give the game a try on my PS3 after I've revisited FF7 :kev:

I'm up to the dead sea reserach however Squall is about level 50 and Zell & Selphie are about level 30. Odin kept on coming in and slashing in when I was weapon item hunting and Doomtrain item hunting.

I have a spare game that's during the Master Norg bit... don't know whether should re-try then or not. Never had this issue before. Odin just decided this turn around to be a giant pain in the ass. :rage:

Oh what irony! The other day I was looking through my PSP because I was bored, and I found VIII on it, then I decided to play through it again lulz. In my game right now, I just to Timber (which makes me think of trees falling lol)!

I Download it from the PSN.

Why? Cuz i want to kill OMEGA Weapon!

K, I know it's a silly reason but i want to kill every omega and ultima weapon in the series.
Ok. that's all XD

I'm currently playing this game as well, though I've had to take a small break (had some personal issues that needed addressing. I believe I'm near the second disc only :(.

I'm up to the dead sea reserach however Squall is about level 50 and Zell & Selphie are about level 30. ........
around to be a giant pain in the ass. :rage:

Whoops, Yeah I did That too, got pissed and stopped playing. And just last week I picked up VIII and decided to give it a whirl again, unlike any other of the 7-9 era games keeping characters at an even keel is verrry important. my biggest issue right now is that I'm a bit of a Draw nut, which Paired with my power level tendencies means i have only just gotten to G. Garden. Good Rule of Thumb for me, whenever possible never not have Selphie in the party she is basically a oh you wanna Gravija us, Okay Full Cure now

I just got a PSP the other day so I could play this game >_> And I own it in working condition on PS1 still...
It's cool playing it on a portable device for a change. I of course have other games in mind I'll be getting too.

So the title says it all, for me the reason is that I never really actually beat the game..... well I did but I don't remember it and also I missed a lot of things so recently I started playing again.

I suffer from the same problem. I beat it probably 10 years ago, but don't remember a damn thing about the ending. I know I kept trying over and over (I was severely under levelled). After like my 8th try I beat it while I was on the phone with a friend. Of course he was telling me something interesting while the ending was playing. So, I never really had a chance to focus on the ending. I tried firing up the old file a few years later, but ran into the same problem. I couldn't beat it with the current levels I had. I didn't feel like level grinding and put it away until about 2 years ago. I made it about halfway through disc 2 then lost interest and started playing something else.

Just finished my replay of FFVIII. It's like the 3rd replay for me :D
Still an amazing game, and probably my most favourite game ever.
I am surprised that I did not get bored at any point in the game despite knowing the story well. I also obtained all GFs and did most sidequests. All these took quite a long time over the month, but that's because I have other things to do.

Back