Anyone here playing this game right now? If so, why?

Playing it now.. only on disk 1 think I'm like halfway through, I haven't played much lately but I play when I can

I'm technically playing this game. I started it because I want to finish all the FF games. Yet here I am, still on disk one. I don't plan on moving on anytime soon. I hate the junction system. It's just.... Ugh. Anyway, the story does seem good and all, but the battle system makes me stop playing every time I try again.

I have others I want to play right now anyway.

I am about to do a play-through of the game basically because when i was younger i used to watch my uncle play this game a lot although he finished the game i never got around to seeing how the hole story finished , so i thought now is as good time to find out plus you cant beat a good classic :p

Last week I started playing this game again. I really felt like playing a quality Final Fantasy game after playing XIII. Seeing as how I've played FFVII too many times since it has been released and I had finished IX recently I decided to give VIII another go. The problem I had with this game had always been the junction system, this had also been the reason I had never replayed it.

However now, only have being 10 hours into the game I really am not bothered by it anymore. The story and general feel of the game also make up for it. I'm not sure why I feel this way, but VIII feels so much better now that I'm a bit older.

Long story short: I really recommend everyone who played this game while being young, not liking it as much, to give it another go.

Playing it right now! :D Playing it forever!

Mod edit: ViKtoricus
Hi, just a reminder. The forums discourage short posts like this, as they can be considered as spam. In the future, it will be great if you can expand on your points more. Thank you and have a nice stay in the forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished my replay of FFVIII. It's like the 3rd replay for me :D
Still an amazing game, and probably my most favourite game ever.
I am surprised that I did not get bored at any point in the game despite knowing the story well. I also obtained all GFs and did most sidequests. All these took quite a long time over the month, but that's because I have other things to do.

AGREED!!! I would buy a PS4 for the remake @ launch if Square decides to remake this on the modern consoles!!! Am I the only one who likes Final Fantasy VIII? I am so glad I am not one of the Final Fantasy VII fanboys. Cloud this or Sephiroth that. Shinra blah blah blah, I m glad I grew up with Final Fantasy VIII.

I grew up with Balamb garden, Squall, Zell, Rinoa and the entire cast of Final Fantasy VIII. Square Enix please give us a remake of Final Fantasy VIII. I would pay $500 for it <333

AGREED!!! I would buy a PS4 for the remake @ launch if Square decides to remake this on the modern consoles!!! Am I the only one who likes Final Fantasy VIII? I am so glad I am not one of the Final Fantasy VII fanboys. Cloud this or Sephiroth that. Shinra blah blah blah, I m glad I grew up with Final Fantasy VIII.

I grew up with Balamb garden, Squall, Zell, Rinoa and the entire cast of Final Fantasy VIII. Square Enix please give us a remake of Final Fantasy VIII. I would pay $500 for it <333

Woohooh! Another FFVIII fan! Nice to meet you!

There's alot that can be said about FFVIII. The memorable characters, the memorable places... and Rinoa... sweet, sweet, Rinoa...

Replaying it to finally get a perfect file. I've been trying this for years but was never pleased with the results as I was always missing something.

AGREED!!! I would buy a PS4 for the remake @ launch if Square decides to remake this on the modern consoles!!! Am I the only one who likes Final Fantasy VIII? I am so glad I am not one of the Final Fantasy VII fanboys.

Yeah. Being a Final Fantasy VIII fanboy is so much better.

Playing it again, started a few days ago already on the Garden battle. Reason im playing it? Everytime I play the game I reach the final area and just stop playing due to the fact I can never tell if im under leveled or over leveled due to the game basing enemies off your level so I usually get bored and stop.

I'm jealous to you guys. :sad:

Mod edit: @Lighty
Hi there and welcome to the forums! I would like to inform you that short posts are discouraged in this forums because they can be considered a spam. It would be great if you can expand your points in future posts. Thank you for your understanding! Have a nice stay in the forums. =)

Trying to beat the game for the first time since I did not even beat the first disc when the game was released. And I remember why I never finished that one. If at elast I could beat the card game.

I am playing again at the moment although I have taken a break for a week or so because I am stuck with the Queen of Cards Quest. I recently took out my old Playstation from the back of the cupboard and dusted it of to start playing it again and FFVIII is the first game I have started and to be honest it is still one of my favourite games. :)

No I too love FF VIII more than the others. I played FF VII just before VIII came out and though I liked it I was annoyed by the terrible graphics and weak dialogue. When I got FF VIII it blew me away I thought it was brilliant. People complain about the Junction system but I think it is excellent and 8 is still one of my favourite games, EVER! :)

Mod edit:
*Posts Merged*

I'm playing it now because triple triad is so fun.

And a remake of FF8 is unnecessary when you can simply get it off PSN.

Oddly enough I'm playing FFVIII right now. It's just a fun all-around game.

And a remake of FF8 is unnecessary when you can simply get it off PSN.

I think the above poster was referring to a version of FFVIII that had updated graphics.

I'm not at the moment, but will be doing shortly. I've never managed to collect all the cards, which will be my target for this next playthrough. I've already beaten Omega, so it's more or less the last thing I need to do.

I play FFVIII whenever I want. That's when I feel like meeting up with Squall and friends again. I love these characters so from time to time I need to see them again to pass a day together, just like I do with true friends.
It may happen I play FFVIII tomorrow and then again two months later: I don't mind going on with the story in a coherent way, I only want, when I play it, to have a day different from others (I've already finished FFVIII so I don't need to follow the story again).
Having a walk with Squall, flying with the Ragnarock or killing some monsters can be enough to make me happy. Then, if I want to relive a precise event, in that case, I go on with the story.

I'll be starting it up again sometime this week...

I have a problem. I have played NUMEROUS games. Yet I've only finished a handful. I tell myself I'm going to finish it, but close to the end I start to get bored and then I'll move onto something else. I have started FF8...more than 30 times? (My first video game I ever played) But I've never finished it. The farthest I got was a few years ago on I think disc 3? It was a giant blue cave and I remember thinking "This is gonna be hard"...and I didn't play anymore! I am such a hopeless failure :gonk:

I'll be starting it up again sometime this week...

I have a problem. I have played NUMEROUS games. Yet I've only finished a handful. I tell myself I'm going to finish it, but close to the end I start to get bored and then I'll move onto something else. I have started FF8...more than 30 times? (My first video game I ever played) But I've never finished it. The farthest I got was a few years ago on I think disc 3? It was a giant blue cave and I remember thinking "This is gonna be hard"...and I didn't play anymore! I am such a hopeless failure :gonk:

Think about this: if you finish the game you'll see Squall smiling! You know it is very rare to see a Squall's smile (quite impossible)..well at the end of the game you can have this honor! O: and his smile is so... :3

I just started again around the same time I joined this forum... Which may be related due to my fear of this game. Last time I played I was 18 maybe and made it to a castle near the end of the game (The last area?) and couldn't hack it because I hurried through and ended up very under leveled and weak. Somehow that save file was destroyed and I never played since then. I have a PC version I've kept safe and I'm going to beat it this time one way or another. At least I know who to ask if I get stuck again :)

I just started again around the same time I joined this forum... Which may be related due to my fear of this game. Last time I played I was 18 maybe and made it to a castle near the end of the game (The last area?) and couldn't hack it because I hurried through and ended up very under leveled and weak. Somehow that save file was destroyed and I never played since then. I have a PC version I've kept safe and I'm going to beat it this time one way or another. At least I know who to ask if I get stuck again :)

Welcome to the forum!

On FFVIII you needn't worry about being underlevelled, the enemies level with you. It's all about being extra prepared with your Junctions ;)

Back