FFIX: What would you change?

C i d

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
This will be similar to the other FFX thread.

What aspect/s would you wish to change in the game? The gameplay? Story?

I love this game, but one thing I would wish to see different is the speed of the battles. It's so slow! I'm sure everyone noticed. A more instantaneous system would be great.

The other thing would be the accesibility to all ATEs without having to replay/reload save files. It could be something like a theatre thingy. I thought ATEs are interesting to the character development. It would be great to be able to view all of them. The theatre could even contain all the scenes in the game.

Oh and one very important thing! I really wish there is a No Encounter accessory or ability. This will greatly facilitate the sidequests, or just plain exploration.

A more populated map. They gave us this huge continent called the Forgotten Continent and all that's there is four things, only one of which you actually continue to go to. It kinda annoyed me how everything seemed to center on the Mist Continent and the others were more or less just there it seemed.

A more populated map. They gave us this huge continent called the Forgotten Continent and all that's there is four things, only one of which you actually continue to go to. It kinda annoyed me how everything seemed to center on the Mist Continent and the others were more or less just there it seemed.

I agree with this! Chocobo racing could have been implemented even though the Chocobo mini game we had was really addicting and well thought out and the fact that 2/3 of the game is your party split apart. It really bugged me for the story aspect as I like them getting along as a group now everyone is in a group of two waltzing around the world map.

I love this game, it is my favourite and I think almost everything about it is perfect except for the slooooowww battles :damon: I found it fun still but some battles did go on and on and on.
Also I hate how random Trance is, so that can change as well so you can use it when you want, not when the game wants.

I guess remove Quina from the game and add him or her in as a NPC. He's pretty funny as random comic relief but as a main character he seems pretty pointless and just following everybody just for more food. :thehell:

I would replace him or her with Beatrix. She has more of a bigger reason to be with the party and her battle skills are awesome. She's like a female Cecil and Cloud mixed together which is extremely cool.

Anything else about FFIX should not be touched as it is a precious golden game of wonderfulness and is the one of * if not * the best Final Fantasy of the series :griin:

I guess remove Quina from the game and add him or her in as a NPC. He's pretty funny as random comic relief but as a main character he seems pretty pointless and just following everybody just for more food. :thehell:

I would replace him or her with Beatrix. She has more of a bigger reason to be with the party and her battle skills are awesome. She's like a female Cecil and Cloud mixed together which is extremely cool.

Oh wow, that's a fantastic idea! :)

I found the battles quite tedious. :sad3: The system itself wasn't too bad, but they were incredibly slow. :/ I have no idea how people manage to play the game under so many hours. :gasp:

I absolutely hated Trance. :hmph: It was usually activated during a basic battle on the field, so felt pointless. FFX has my favourite Overdrive system, so they could transfer that system over somehow. :hmmm: It might be a good idea to keep both but have gamers select their preference in an Options menu as I'm sure someone out there likes Trance. :lew:

Anything else about FFIX should not be touched as it is a precious golden game of wonderfulness and is the one of * if not * the best Final Fantasy of the series :griin:

I can't believe that thought did not cross my mind...that is the biggest change it could do. As of the moment I am replaying through it and I have tried to avoid Quina but you have to get 'it' at the point in where you get to the marsh to go into fossil roo :(. I also think the card game system should have been fleshed out more because it was the best iteration of it..FF8's sucked!.

Oh yes the trances were so annoying too! :gasp:

Though I don't really mind Quina, personally :wacky:. Beatrix as another party member is a great idea though.

Beatrix as a party member would've been great but Quina is actually rather useful at times. However to make her more useful in the late game, make her Eat/Cook transform into something else once she completes the Blue Magic roster since after you do so it becomes a useless ability.

Trance for sure, it was just useless most of the time because of its randomness. Really good idea abot replacing Quina with Beatrice, that would have been awesome. Blue magic could have been usefull but I never used Quina because I just couldn't stand the character enough to see it in battle. I forgot about the battles being slow though, that's a good point too, they don't have to change it in any way just...speed it up a little.

Xx..xX

1. Make the ATB fill faster.
2. That i control when a Trance should activate.
3. Make a battle Arena right.
4. Give more choices during storyline sequences (This was lacking in 9 compared to FF7)
5. Add beatrice and the Tantalus guys as playable characters.
6. Give me the chance to choose Eiko as love interest for Zidane than Garnet.
7. Put ultra tough bosses Omega and Ultima Weapon (since 6 i want weapons in any FF).

That should do a great experience.

I'm getting fond of this "what would you change" game. :neomon:

1) Kuja. Who gave him the drag? And oh lord, that midriff! Did I want to see that in all its glory? And where the heck has he been hiding that tail? Why do you look like so womanly if you're not supposed to be a woman?! I actually thought: "hey, awesome! Another main antagonist who is a woma- waaaaaait, WHA-?!!". I would have actually had Kuja as a woman. No, seriously. I would. It would make up for that one female Genome Mikoto that no one remembers because despite being one of the few Genomes, she barely did anything.

2) Speed up the battles, please. I love FFIX and all, but it's a chore to play when the fights are so tediously slow. I've frantically tried to find anything earlier on to speed them up because I could have made tea during some of the common random battles. I could have cooked a roast dinner even! This is a game for people with patience, and my patience nowadays isn't at all what it used to be.

3) Beatrix as a party member would have been awesome. However, she would have been too similar to Steiner, but I would happily have had her a regular instead of Quina and Amarant. Amarant, who the heck are you again, and why do I barely remember you?

4) This would have been a great game to throw Ultros in. And a proper Gilgamesh.

5) Trance is kind of stupid. Here I am, building it up, and it's unleashed...in a random battle steps away from the boss. Who designed this system and thought chance would make a great factor when it comes to limit breaks?

6) So, Quina. Erm, why? It's not like it's much of a character at all. It's just a gluttonous thing that wants to munch. It doesn't really have any character other than that.

7) Eiko. Everything. Except her character in battle. She came in handy. Other than that, everything.

8) Fight Brahne. Oh, come on. I was positively hoping for the opportunity!

9) Make Blank more of a regular. I would have happily had Amarant ritually sacrificed and for Blank to have taken his place.

I wish we had the choice of choosing WHEN to trance so we can actually use it for boss fights instead of having to get beat up before one until we're close to trancing or just ignoring it entirely and using it mostly in random battles -__- Also I'm kind of a perfectionist so I like all my characters to be ridiculously powerful with max stats and the lack of "hard to get" stats+ items kinda irked me.

1) Kuja's choice of clothing. Just, ugh. It annoyed the heck out of me, especially when I replayed FFIX. I just sat there all the time, looking at him like 0_o
2) The speed of battles, like others have said. The first time I played at it at like 10-11 years old I wasn't very good at developing my characters, so I ended up sitting there for hours sometimes in a battle. However I found even second time around the speed was useless. -_-
3) Slight change in party member line-up. I would of liked it if some of the party had more depth to them like the others did. Quina was funny so I felt a bit better about that character, but Amarant's role just confused me. I don't exactly remember anyway because I haven't played in a few years.

Overall, Final Fantasy IX was the one that got me OBSESSED with FF; I just played VII & VIII lightly before that, although I really enjoyed them too. :)
There's also probably more for me to whine about now that I think about it, but I can't think what at the moment.

I think what I'd love to see is pretty much the trend right now. I want a little freedom in deciding the direction of the story - much like the Mass Effect series. It'll be really interesting if the Mass Effect creators made Final Fantasy LOL. But yes, I'd love to have full voice acting, a lot of freedom in deciding how to respond in as many conversations as possible, and the ability to twist the plot.

If only hm. If only.

I think probably the only thing i would change is the fact that once you go into trance, it follows the "if you don't use it, you lose it" concept. I like the other FFs that give you the option to use it when you want to, and that is something I thought was lacking in FF9. Other than that, I thought the game was good enough as it was.

Would've liked to seen Beatrix as a main character, more populated world map, but what really chaps my ass is the bosses for the most part are too easy. The be all end all boss Necron has a whopping 54,000 HP. Malaris was tougher than this guy. Final Bosses should have at least 100,000 HP and Ozma should've had 100,000 HP.

I would want to see more story on Armarant and Quina. I thought that they were the two least developed characters. I would have liked to see more on Freya and Steiner too. Also, allow Beatrix to be a permanent party member. Allow her to learn more moves so she doesn't fall behind the other characters and make her unique from Steiner.

And of course, the trance system. Either my characters would go into trance mode when they were on a random weak enemy, or at the end of boss battle and not even get the chance to use it.

I would:

1. Change Zidane's clothes...
2. Change the Trance system, because it often ended up transforming characters at the end of random battles, and frequently, those battles happened just before the important ones.
3. Change the riff in the "Dark Messenger" theme to a more heavy metal style, rather than a 80's punk rock.
4. Change the last boss theme, seriously >_>

Back