Your School Report vs. Your Achievements

Lirael

I love to read and discuss pretty much anything!
Veteran
Gil
Whilst digging through some letters, I discovered my year 11 (aged 16) school report which I then decided to read. I was kinda interested by how much my predicted grades differed from my final grades! The reports themselves don't really contain anything surprising, but I thought this would make for a good topic!

How did your reports and mock exams differ from your achievements in school?

Did your teachers have an accurate perception of you, or did they assume you possessed different qualities?

My predicted grades were actually pretty accurate when it comes to my effort and understanding of topics in January. In Science, for example, I averaged out at 51%, primarily because (I hate to say it :gasp:) the teachers didn't produce lessons which engaged me. I didn't really feel compelled to focus on the subject through the year and ended up teaching myself Chemistry, Biology and Physics during Study Leave before the June exams. I ended up with an AA! :)

The story is pretty similar in History, for which my predicted grade was a C. I ended up with an A in the summer exams after a lot of revision...although I did end up revising for the wrong exam at one point. :wacky: Luckily I had revised for both simultaneously and had just been reviewing EVERYTHING on the morning of the exam itself.

I suppose I found these subjects more engaging on my own. :hmmm: I hated how the Science teachers would talk to us for an entire hour and there was very little discussion involved. We also worked at a slow pace, so I spent the majority of my time daydreaming. :lew: I was a little afraid that I wouldn't get a good grade... but even after hours of revision, I've never assumed I'll do well. ;)

English is perhaps the most interesting for me as I was getting 55% in the middle of the school year! :gasp: I must have been a little lazy... :hmmm: I ended up with an A in the Literature paper and an A in the Language paper, then went on to do two separate English A-Levels, an English course at Uni (for which I got a high 2:1) and am now going on to be an English teacher. :wacky: I must learn from my own laziness so that I can spot it in my future students. :mokken:

Maths, French, Food Tech and Drama were all pretty accurate though. :grin: And Religious Studies wasn't far off. My predicted grade was a B and I came out with an A. :)

I was never an A* student. :hmph:

my gcse predictions were pretty much more or less on the mark. i did better than most people i know, and got mostly b's. at a level, i under achieved a little and got a couple of u's, but was never that bothered by it because i didn't try at them. i still managed to go on and graduate uni with a 2:1, which most people probably wouldn't have predicted after my a levels.

We do not do predictions here but we had parent teacher meetings and the like. Most teachers assumed I was just lazy and would do better when I applied myself, which was true to an extent. I was a very average student and got very average grades, which seems to be a pretty accurate representation of me. One of my teachers did make my mam cry once, so I decided to do well on her exam

I am skilled when needed but rather lazy when it doesn't interest me. I only got serious in my basketball, art and science biology/chemistry classes but averaged on my maths and trigonometry. In college, I did rather well with computers and my interest grew with them and I was 3rd highest in the class out of 20 for it. I added GDS to my knowledge as well and thus started working. Sadly I'm still working on my thesis on my 4th attempt as I did not have time to submit the last 2 and I did not achieve the needed on the last two. ; ___ ;

I didn't want to be the perfect student, preferring more on socializing and arts. ^w^

My teachers are always on point with me. "Your son Anthony has tons of potential and is a great student, he just needs to speak to his classmates more". Copy and paste for 10 years and that's how my story goes. I told you all that I'm very shy. My teachers always expected more out of me math wise too. But I never got any better. I think they said it was a miracle that I had finally learned division. To which I responded with a "fuck you for not helping me". Every other class was/is good. Even dance! ;)

I was always a good student in school. I think almost all of the teachers I had, they loved me... or at least *acknowledged* me. I was quiet, but I did my school work. I did my homework.

They always told me and my parents the same thing... because I never really changed throughout school. I was never a "bad" kid who acted out, who never did their studies.

Now college on the other hand... :rofl:

Back