Do you actually like Eyes on me?

Omegadruid

White Mage
Gil
I dont know if a simillar topic was ever created in this forum and if there is I couldnt find it. I would love to hear about your opinions on Eyes on me the ending song of ff8.
Personally I love the song but probably ONLY BECAUSE it carries such emotional and nostalgic power along with it. If I had heard this song at a random occasion without ever having played ff8 I dont really know how I would react to it. Maybe it would be in the "listenable but not really worth getting" category.
Thoughts?

I love it. :lew: I love the melody, the arrangement, the story behind the lyrics, regardless of whether or not they're connected to Laguna and Julia. :hmmm: It's a beautiful piece of music, soft and calming, yet uplifting at the same time. :)

I didn't actually know specifically what in FF8 the song was about until 4 years after first hearing it. :hmmm: I kept thinking 'this isn't really connected to Rinoa and Squall at all...' ;)

Yes, I love this song. It's very soft and romantic(unlike a lot of game songs with lyrics :wacky: ). I've actually always liked it, oddly enough.

A thing is that the song is very addictive if you like it. Have been listening it atleast for the last 2 hours and still didnt get tired of it. It sure has replay value :D.

I love the song. Just thinking about it brings back memories from back in the day. It's one of my favorite tracks in the whole Final Fantasy series :)

I guess I'm in the minority here. :wacky:

I actually don't like it very much at all. It just doesn't do it for me, I guess. As far as vocal FF songs go, I think Melodies of Life and Suteki Da Ne are far better.

It was ok the first few times I heard it. I thought it fit the scenes in FFVIII ok.

But, when I listen to it, all I think about is two 60 year old people getting married. Its vaguely FOB'ish and genre non-existent.

Its not something you'd expect to play a young person's wedding. I'm sure there are hardcore and keeping-it-real final fantasy fans in the world who make out listening to this song. And, I wouldn't think less of them for doing it. Maybe it should be on a true final fantasy fans bucket list? Who knows.

It just sounds like an inferior and generic version of a song from old James Bond or Disney movies to me. :ohshit: Sung by a asian person straight off a boat from singapore with an asian lisp.

Despite this, I do vaguely like it. I just think its a bit odd..

It just sounds like an inferior and generic version of a song from old James Bond or Disney movies to me. :ohshit: Sung by a asian person straight off a boat from singapore with an asian lisp.

Ouch.... Something died in me reading this.
Faye Wong is not from Singapore. She was born in China and then lived in Hong Kong. And please don't tell me that you think Singapore and/or Hong Kong is IN China.

I don't like it when people generalise Asia. Asian lisp? More like Chinese Mandarin accent. There are other distinguishable English accents originating from Asia, such as Indian, Malay, Japanese, etc, to name a few.

Anyway, on-topic, I don't actually mind the way she sings it. I have always liked this song. Mostly due to the nostalgia.

It was ok to me, nothing too special. I only played through ff8 once or twice anyway, then again i didn't really pay attention to the ending because i was already dead tired from playing the game all day and night.

Ouch.... Something died in me reading this.
Faye Wong is not from Singapore. She was born in China and then lived in Hong Kong. And please don't tell me that you think Singapore and/or Hong Kong is IN China.

I don't like it when people generalise Asia. Asian lisp? More like Chinese Mandarin accent. There are other distinguishable English accents originating from Asia, such as Indian, Malay, Japanese, etc, to name a few.

Anyway, on-topic, I don't actually mind the way she sings it. I have always liked this song. Mostly due to the nostalgia.

I'm part japanese & enjoy making fun of my partial asian heritage. :grin:

I know the difference between singapore, china, etc.

I even like the song. I just happen to enjoy making fun of things I like, sometimes.

That said, can anyone here claim to have made out or had sexual intercourse listening to this song? :hmmm:

I bet if I could see your faces, some of you might have guilty expressions.. :LJ:

edit - Wow, this is post 666 for me. This post must be pure evil. :ohshit:

I'm part japanese & enjoy making fun of my partial asian heritage. :grin:

I know the difference between singapore, china, etc.

I even like the song. I just happen to enjoy making fun of things I like, sometimes.

That said, can anyone here claim to have made out or had sexual intercourse listening to this song? :hmmm:

I bet if I could see your faces, some of you might have guilty expressions.. :LJ:

edit - Wow, this is post 666 for me. This post must be pure evil. :ohshit:

Umm okay. I just felt that you should have researched before claiming that someone comes from a certain country when she isn't. Your heritage doesn't matter in this case.

And the next few lines... what's this I don't even

The song is made so wonderfully, the melody romantic and peaceful. To be honest if you played that song I am instantly going to think of that moment between Squall and Rinoa......yep good tune...good song.

Besides if you think of it. It might not be directly about rinoa and squall but is about an unfinished love by the father of squall and the mother or rinoa which really gives a sense that their love was finally completed in their children. The song gives the main love story a more serious approach I guess and thats why the song fits so perfectly to this game

I quite like the idea behind the song, but I typically don't find myself listening to it.

I liked it because, as stated in this thread, we saw it develop in the game from a tune written by Julia about Laguna, to a song embodying Rinoa and Squall's love. I found the idea of that love song passing down to a new generation, and finally bringing people together to be quite good. Though it wasn't really the song that did that for the characters, it was the song playing as we, the players, witnessed this blossom.

It's a nice idea. Most of the FF tunes aren't used in this way... I guess some of them have tried to, though (for example Garnet's song at the Inn becomes the Melodies of Life tune), but none of them have the same significance that this song could claim to have.

As for the tune itself, I don't mind it. It's not my kind of thing, but I respect what it was going for. I might skip the track if it pops up on my ipod (if it is even still on there), but I can still appreciate the idea.

Hmm. I wouldn't call it Nobuo Uematsu's best, but I do like it. The melody is beautiful, I even took the time to learn and play it on the piano years ago. The lyrics are just okay - fitting to the story, but it's not impressive. If I'm comparing, I'd say I like Melodies of Life more. D:

I did like the piano version of this song. When I last played through this game, I followed the game a bit more slowly whenever I heard it or when the game was in Laguna's point of view.

As for the actual song, it didn't really impress me. The melody itself is pretty nice, but I noticed that the lyrics were based on what occurred in the game, and songs like that tend to push me away, unless it is the main theme. :hmmm:

Personally, I prefer Julia to Eyes on me. That's not to say I don't like Eyes on me, I just think with Julia you can apply your own meaning's and messages to it; the melody is just that good.

Eyes on me
is all about the timing. If the track was played during most other parts of the game it wouldn't have had the same impact. Not even close.

Whatever you think about the track, I'm willing to bet most people see this as the focal song in FFVIII.

Yeah but I pretend that I don't because people laughed at me when I was little at school for liking the song centuries ago. :facepaw:

The song is beautiful and emotional and ties in with the game really well and it shows the two different main relationships within the game, really good. It's also really stunning in the piano collections. Underrated song that gets too much abuse because it's a game song or a lovely dovey tune and not badass rock or rap.

Back