Do you actually like Eyes on me?

"Eyes on me" is a very romantic song able to remind me a very sweet moment during the game.
It is the soundtrack of the love of Squall and Rinoa, but also of the past love of Julia Hearthilly and Laguna (when he was a Galbadian soldier). When Julia plays at the piano this song the atmoshere become magic as well as when Rinoa and Squall are on the Ragnarok coming back to Earth.

For me, I love it as Laguna and Julia's song, but as Squall and Rinoa's, it just made me laugh. I'm sorry, but the words just fit for the older couple in my head far better. I always thought it would of been better if Squall and Rinoa had a song of their own that matched how different their relationship was from Laguna and Julia's. Every time I hear it, I think of Laguna and Julia, and a little of Laguna and Raine too thanks to the closing video in the game, but never Squall and Rinoa.

I like the song. I don't LOVE the song, but I think it's a nice song. My brother hates the song and would always get so mad when I tried to sing it. By the way, is the song the same in the Japanese version or no?

To be honest, I never actually grew too fond of the song. Some of the lyrics didn't make much sense to me, but the melody was quite good. That being said, recently the song received a very special place in my heart for other reasons, so you could say yes, I do like it :)

It's honestly the only good thing about Final Fantasy VIII, aside from its admittedly awesome card game.

Last edited:
It's a cheesy song, like all romantic songs, but the melody is good, putting you in the danger of becoming cheesy too. I personally feel uncomfortable listening to it, the same way I feel uncomfortable listening to emo songs I've nerver heard of. It would be the perfect song to be released as a single in the 80s by a female black singer known to be a one-hit wonder, to put it in simple terms. Not really my cup of tea but I was forced to listen to it.

Eyes on Me was one of my favorite main title themes in the Final Fantasy series. It's up there with Melodies of Life from FFIX, and Kiss Me Goodbye from FFXII. I liked other music too from the series but these are my top 3 songs
Angela Aki does a really nice version of the song Eyes on Me. She is one of my favorite artists of all time also even though I don't understand a lot of the lyrics as most of her music is sung in Japanese.

Here is Angela Aki singing Eyes on Me:

Ya def love this song. More of a connection to the game then as a song I heard randomly but I love it because it reminds me of ff8. I have always been a like squal in many aspects so I really connected to final fantasy 8 in a big way.

yes, i love it. i think it's very romantic and very sweet. it's got good production and nice lyrics.

I really like the fact that there was vocals behind the instrumentals of the song.. it had become that much more powerful, in my opinion. There's not a whole lot of FF titles (especially at that time) that have a singer in it. I think it's very unique and somewhat sets it apart from its predecessors as far as the music went. I felt like adding the vocals inspired the other FFs to include some production of vocals throughout the game as well.

I love Eyes on me! I'm not sure if it's just nostalgia, but every time I listen to it I get warm and fuzzy feelings. I really love Laguna and Julia's moment in the game and the music fits it perfectly.

I love Eyes on Me. I cried when they played it at Distant Worlds this past Wednesday. Every time I sing it at karaoke, I pretty much am in the zone. No one is allowed to talk to me or interrupt me while I'm singing it, lol. It's my jam!

I love Eyes on Me. I cried when they played it at Distant Worlds this past Wednesday. Every time I sing it at karaoke, I pretty much am in the zone. No one is allowed to talk to me or interrupt me while I'm singing it, lol. It's my jam!

Did you really? :lew: I think I must've missed that. I was too busy with the camera. I actually have that recorded if you're interested in watching it again. I'll upload it tonight. Did you like the original version better or Susan's? That was the first time I heard Susan Calloway sing 'Eyes on Me'. I know she sang 'Kiss Me Goodbye' (FFXII) so I was really surprised when she came back to sing 'Eyes on Me'.

After we left, I asked my husband if you cried during Eyes on Me. He said yes and that you were wiping your tears a few times. xD

I don't remember if I posted here, but yeah, I like the song. Not super crazy about it like 'Melodies of Life' but I do have a soft spot for this.

Did you really? :lew: I think I must've missed that. I was too busy with the camera. I actually have that recorded if you're interested in watching it again. I'll upload it tonight. Did you like the original version better or Susan's? That was the first time I heard Susan Calloway sing Eyes on Me. I know she sang 'Kiss Me Goodbye' (FFXII) so I was really surprised when she came back to sing 'Eyes on Me'.

After we left, I asked my husband if you cried during 'Eyes on Me'. He said yes and that you were wiping your tears a few times. xD

I don't remember if I posted here, but yeah, I like the song. Not super crazy about it like 'Melodies of Life' but I do have a soft spot for this.

Oooh yeah! I recorded the entire thing on my phone but I'm sure your camera has much nicer quality. I did cry, hahah. I mean I wasn't full on crying but a few tears escaped that I had to wipe away :P I didn't want to full on sob during the performance, heh. I still prefer the original. I think Susan did a few unnecessary runs in certain parts, but she still did a great job. She has such a beautiful voice. Her XIV performance was breathtaking.

I don't like it. Honestly, I had to youtube it, I know it's famous but it's not really memorable to me. so yeah, when I listened to it, it just wasn't to my taste and I actually don't think of FF8 as a great game, it's nice and all but not really one of my favorites.

I love the song with and without the oft-induced nostalgia. Actually it drew my interest inward more to the game than I otherwise would have had.

Back