Irrational fears

Do you have any irrational fears?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Will Graham

Hello, Dr. Lecter
Veteran
Gil
What are your irrational fears? I searched and didn't find any threads about this. Even if there is one, it wouldn't be as good looking as this thread.

I got a new pillow recently and it is very puffy. I sleep on my back, and the new pillow causes me to bend my neck forward more than I normally do. I have to re-position the pillow carefully every night, because I am afraid if I lean my neck forward too much it will cut off blood supply to my head and I will have a stroke.

I like to sleep face down with a hand folded under my chest, but then I think that will somehow trap my lungs when I fall asleep causing me to suffocate and die. So I lie on my back

Occasionally I throw out a drink because I cannot be certain that some kind of insect did not get inside it and drown, then I'd drink them. Once this did actually happen, though it is not what caused the fear because I had the fear before then. It was a time when there was an incredible amount of wasps everywhere, people even called it 'the time when there was an incredible amount of wasps everywhere'. A wasp got in my tea and drown, but it hit off my teeth before I swallowed it thankfully.

When I see a tiny cut with a little yellowy-orange scab I am afraid that flies have laid eggs in me

When I was a kid, I watched a movie, (a kid movie at that) called The Great Mouse Detective? I guess it's not really a phobia of mine, but I tend to NOT look directly at a window when closing the curtain at night? Because I'm always having in mind someone might be standing in front of the window, or will suddenly pop up like the bat in that movie. :ffs:

When clipping my pinky toe nail, I'm always a little paranoid I'll clip the flesh on accident - which, saying still makes me cringe.

I wish I could think of more, as there probably are, but I can't atm. xD

Edit: FIX THE FONT POST THING ALREADY @ TECHIES. :rage:

Hahaha I have a lot of irrational fears but now that I have come to post in this thread I can only think of a couple :S

My biggest fear is moths. They can't harm me. They don't have stingers or spines or poison. They're cute and fluffy and flutter about in their own little world and for some reason this horrifies me!! if a moth is in the same room as me I cannot rest until I have defeated it! They are evil vile creatures and they should not exist!

My next irrational fear is probably scary video games :hmmm: this is not really that irrational because they are scary and being scared of a scary game is probably quite normal :hmmm: but I take it to the extreme in some cases. Sometimes I wont play a game just because the music in it is a little creepy and that completely puts me off. Or with a game like harvest moon I am scared my character will run out of energy and pass out and I can't handle the stress of not getting to harvest my turnips on time :hmmm: I literally get stressed and worried about these stupid things.
I almost could not finish sonic adventure battle 2 because the ghosts popping out in the knuckles levels horrified me too much.

How pathetic :(

If I think of more I will pop them up.

When I was a kid, I watched a movie, (a kid movie at that) called The Great Mouse Detective? I guess it's not really a phobia of mine, but I tend to NOT look directly at a window when closing the curtain at night? Because I'm always having in mind someone might be standing in front of the window, or will suddenly pop up like the bat in that movie. :ffs:

I love that movie! :)

When I was roughly 9 years old, I ended up watching Jonathan Creek. A teenager was taking care of me and thought it would be suitable, I guess. :wacky: Anyway, in this episode, a woman kept having the same dream and in this dream she was stabbed to death. First, the man came into her room and stabbed the bed, but she was hiding, so he went to the wardrobe, slotted his knife in between the segments on this wardrobe and then blood came pouring out. To this day, I have a fear that someone will come into my room in the night. :sad3: I used to be afraid of this all the time, but luckily am now only afraid when home alone. :lew: Uni sort of cured me - mostly. :wacky:

I can't think of any others sadly. :sad3: Hmm, well, I suppose I get silly concerned about my car, always worrying that something will happen to the wheels if I drive over small potholes. :hmmm: This goes back to a driving lesson in which a deep hole snuck up on me and we had to call out the AA to change the wheel...I totally ruined the hub cap. :wacky:

Motherfucking spiders. All of them just need to fucking die. My brother is apparently raising some and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's scared about that shit; his boyfriend is too. Apparently he grew up with them and his sister has a trio of huge as fuck spiders that came and greeted her when she came home. Chittering little bastards. If that shit happened to me, I'd quickly find out just how good my ability to dance is cause there would be a combination of 'Weasel Stomping Day', that Russian kick dancing, and the troll dance from WoW. Little bastards are going to DIE!

I can only think of one irrational fear at the top of my head.

Whenever I hear that really loud noise that a disc makes when it spins extremely fast on the PS3. It sounds unnatural and rarely does it ever happen, but when it does, I usually start to stand aside and make sure I'm not sitting in front of the PS3. I have this irrational feeling that the disc might come flying out and cut me in half or something. (Or do some real damage, etc).

I can only think of one irrational fear at the top of my head.

Whenever I hear that really loud noise that a disc makes when it spins extremely fast on the PS3. It sounds unnatural and rarely does it ever happen, but when it does, I usually start to stand aside and make sure I'm not sitting in front of the PS3. I have this irrational feeling that the disc might come flying out and cut me in half or something. (Or do some real damage, etc).

Wow, that's a weird one. I seriously doubt that you would suffer any major injury, even if it was ejected at a fast speed.

Here is my irrational fear, do you guys know those drop ladders on the sides of buildings?

Well, I have always had this fear that one day I will walk underneath one of the them and it will come crashing down,

killing me instantly.

I have no idea how I developed this fear, it is very irrational. For some reason, it won't go away.

Does not stop me from walking underneath them, though lolz :ohshit:

I guess my irrational fear is that I'll upset people at some point and be lynched by a mob with pitchforks and stuff. :ohshit:

Wow, that's a weird one. I seriously doubt that you would suffer any major injury, even if it was ejected at a fast speed.

Mythbusters did a thing on it awhile back. :ohshit:

After I had a miscarriage, I developed a very intense overwhelming fear of death that I still haven't completely gotten rid of. There is no point in fearing death because we're all going to go at some point, but I just can't get over it. It's not just that I'm afraid of myself dying, it's also losing my husband, my pets, and other family members and well as friends.

Occasionally when I am eating baked goods or cereal I get scared that a spider or some sort of insect has crept into my food. This thought grosses me out and sometimes spoils my appetite. Even though it has never actually happened to me, it has happened to my friend's mum and that doesn't really help.

Oddly enough, I occasionally find (really small) insects in my drinks. But this doesn't bother me too much.

I have emetophobia, the fear of vomit. I don't consider it an irrational fear since it's the worst possible thing to happen to me, ever..........okay, maybe that makes it irrational. I do fear vomiting over death or anything else in the world. In my phobic mind it's the worst possible scenario that can happen to me.

And if anyone is wondering, I'm not joking. I do have legit phobia of getting sick to the stomach. Or others around me getting sick. It was caused by me getting deathly ill as a child. I had a horrible case of rotavirus and it nearly killed me. I was taken to the hospital in the knick of time since my blood glucose level was 400 and something, which is a medical emergency. If my parents hadn't brought me to the hospital when they did I wouldn't be here today typing this out. So it's my hunch that I developed the phobia from that experience. Especially since your mind psychologically develops, for life, around the age of 6. Which is when it happened. So I was a victim of the wrong time, and wrong circumstances that made me fearful of something for life.

But if that doesn't qualify as irrational fear, I also fear bees, ticks, and death. Maybe the last one isn't too irrational since a lot of people fear it.....but there you go. Those are my fears.

Bugs with more than 6 legs :(

I am so terrified of spiders and centipedes it's horrible :gonk: Every night before bed I have Bug Check where I check every nook and cranny of my room for bugs. Out of habit I always look around all the walls and ceiling for a spider or something. It's become quite annoying. :( If I see a centipede/spider, I scream extremely loudly and run out of the room, and then I start giving myself pep talks as to how I can defeat the centipede/spider. I sound like someone who just escaped from the funny farm.

I am also absolutely terrified of a certain noise; Many time monsters in video games or movies will make this noise. It sounds almost mechanical, like a huge machine...thing. I know in FF10-2 there was one, he had 2 huge horns on his head, and he was jumping back and forth on the path. (I think it was under Bevelle) He was insanely over leveled but not that big, so you could run past him. But I'd have to mute the TV when I heard him. Ughhhhhh sends shivers down my spine -___-

Like a few people in this thread have said, Spiders.

Spiders are the bane of my exsistence and they terrify the living crap out of me. I lose sleep sometimes if i lose a spider in my room before I could kill it. It's terrifying wondering when the eight-legged bastard will appear next. D:

Aside from spiders, My other fear is the dark. i'm not sure if the dark is a irrantional fear or not. The main cause of it is probably because i need to see what's going on around me. When it''s dark the sense of control I have vanishes and that scares me because Anything could be there and I cannot see it.

It also probably got worse when i stumbled across The Slenderman Mythos.

Like a few people in this thread have said, Spiders.

Spiders are the bane of my exsistence and they terrify the living crap out of me. I lose sleep sometimes if i lose a spider in my room before I could kill it. It's terrifying wondering when the eight-legged bastard will appear next. D:

Aside from spiders, My other fear is the dark. i'm not sure if the dark is a irrantional fear or not. The main cause of it is probably because i need to see what's going on around me. When it''s dark the sense of control I have vanishes and that scares me because Anything could be there and I cannot see it.

It also probably got worse when i stumbled across The Slenderman Mythos.

Are you a Marble Hornets fan by any chance? :D

ha ha ha....I only watched a few episodes of Marble Hornets. They scared the hell out of me and made me very paranoid that lasts to this day.

However I have kept up with them via the wiki and TV Tropes. so...I guess I am. (I also looked at Tribe Twelve and EverymanHYBRID.)

I'm afraid of sleeping whenever I see a spider I just think it will crawl up and enter my mouth or something blocks my airway and die.

I'm afraid of the pitch-black darkness, it's not because I'm afraid of something in it, it's just the fact that one of my senses has become completely useless.

I'm always afraid when I'm driving that a tire will blow up, and my car will crash with me in it...

I don't know, even though it logically doesn't happen, I'm still afraid of it happening.

I think the spiders thing is very common for humans in general. I don't fear the spiders themselves in general. If I see one I really don't care. I don't freak out or anything....but the idea of one crawling on me while I'm sleeping freaks me the hell out. If I know one is in my room I cannot sleep until I find it and kill it.

I am so terrified of spiders and centipedes it's horrible

I am absolutely and utterly terrified of centipedes. If I see one I literally run away screaming. If I see them in a movie/TV show I screech and hide my head under a cushion/blanket. Once I found one in my bathroom, I ran outside, locked the house and phoned my boyfriend begging him to come home and kill it.
I don't know why I am afraid of them, they have never harmed me nor have I even gotten close enough to one to touch it. The way they look and move just makes my skin crawl, even nauseous! :gasp2:

I am afraid of being abandoned by all of my friends and family. That and sometimes when it is pitch black darkness, I kinda feel uneasy as if something were watching me. Call it paranoia, I don't know. Fear of failure is a small pain in the pooper too, especially because it makes me a bit perfectionist. Other than that, there are no irrational fears. We can't categorize a fear by mere perception because usually a phobia is a defensive reaction of the brain against a possible threat. Most of the times these phobias are linked to events in our early years whether we can or can not remember how it happened.

I am so terrified of spiders and centipedes it's horrible :gonk:

This shit -__- I fucking hate any bug with more than four legs. I've seen a centipede twice in my life and ran away screaming like a girl both times. Only the big spiders scare me, little ones I can handle. Centipedes are just a fucking nightmare. If I think about it too much I'll end up shaking and begin to feel one crawling up my leg. >.< ick!

I also have a fear of winged insects(Not including dragonflies). When I was little a bee flew and then buzzed straight into the hole of my ear and the buzzing was so scary! Every since that moment I've been deathly afraid of flying insects coming near my head, specifically ears. I think having an ear infection for large chunks of my life contribute to the fear since the infection made a popping noise a tiny bit similar to the buzzing of insect wings. Nowadays I run when I hear a bug buzzing too close to my ear. xD Just two days ago I ran up a hill because this giant bee buzzed so friggin close to my head. It even chased me a bit after :sad3:

I think another fear would be having not fulfilled major goals of my life. I don't want to waste my life away and be forgotten. The thought of being forgotten after I die is kinda sad and depressing. I desperately need to be reminded that I will accomplish my lifelong goals or else my stomach gets all sick and I feel the need to vomit and be sad :hmmm:

Back