Irrational fears

Do you have any irrational fears?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Define irrational. I think I've had some pretty irrational nightmares, but they could actually happen (well maybe some aspects).

I woke up in a society where everyone listened to the same music, watched the same movie and loved it, and took the piss out of the meager and handicapped of our society. Men were all hard up Alpha Males. Women were all lady gaga / Niki Man-AJ wanna-bes. Cheap, easy and diseased to the core. Younger teenage girls thought it was cool to have kids at their age. Men got into their position at their jobs due to being the biggest jack ass in which no longer required any sort of qualifications. Rape drugs were sold over the counter, and women didn't oppose to it. Our police were money hungry crooks, who worked for the drug cartels. The highest grossing person, had the best protection of course.

There was one religion and if you didn't believe you were thrown into prison. There were no books. Gun laws were in place. Women could be beat into submission. No more death penalty, no more war, nothing to fight for. Nothing but eternity in hell on earth. The biggest jack ass skeptic cynical comic, was the most over paid individual. Sports from the ground up were rigged, even six year old t-ball. Steroids were legalized.

There was no longer a president but instead a pharmaceutical company owned our country. Voting never took place. There was no states anymore, only a country. Everyone worked for the government, and therefore could have their pay docked at any point in time.

If you were born mentally handi-capped you were most likely making money on game shows putting your deformities to the test in death defying stunts. There were cage matches centered around cripples, and they fought to the death.

... Do I need to go on? I have some vivid coinciding dreams.

Would I rather run onto a battlefield with a lot of crossfire or be stuck in a cave filled with spiders? I'd prefer the former. I don't mind killing spiders, but I don't ever want one to crawl up on me. Urinary catheters also scare me. In the operating room you see them all the time, I just don't want one in me. They take a flimsy latex tube and shove it up your pisshole. Gahh it makes me shiver thinking about it. If I were to have surgery, I would request the surgeon not to put a catheter in me. I only hope to be so fortunate.

I still have that strong fear that I'll be murdered in the shower by somebody with a knife. Even outside the shower, I have a fear that somebody will leap out of the bathtub and stab me. I've been like this for at least 6 years now. Probably way more. I also have that fear of really old music with just one lady singing peacefully, but since that's been associated with murder, I also connect it to my possible death. I never really had a legit fear of many bugs. Maybe roaches in my food. That's it though.

I used to live in a house where the large kitchen windows stare directly at a narrow alleyway that is occasionally used by a few local residents as a shortcut. The way the neighbourhood was designed is that each semi-detached house would have their own tiny, fenced off gardens with criss-crossing alleys forming like a little maze that residents can access via their back gates. It just so happens that one particular alleyway has an exit right next to the house, and someone would need to walk straight past my kitchen to reach it.

And so, one night when I had the kitchen lights on and doing some quiet washing up at around 12:30am, this haggard gentleman suddenly strolled past and glanced at me as he passed. I quickly deduced he was a local resident (not the nicest area to be in, admittedly) and unlikely to break in, but I freaked out. At the time, the kitchen window blinds had jammed somewhere and we could not lower them, so I immediately requested they be fixed. Despite my housemates' annoyance, because I would do this during the day as well, I would constantly demand for the blinds to be drawn every time I have to do anything in the kitchen that involves having to face the window for a prolonged period of time.

Unrelated to the above, I hate absolutely everything about mollusks, especially snails and slugs. Just thinking about them makes my skin crawl. Typing up this very post and mentioning mollusks is making me flinch. I felt physically ill back when the Chamber of Secrets film was newly released and Ron was coughing up slugs from his throat. Exactly how it elicited more of a pained reaction from me than it did to Ron onscreen I will never know.

I had this fear again the other night & thought I'd share.

Sometimes at night I get up and use the toilet - except because it's nighttime I don't want the lights waking me up fully, so I'll do my business in the dark. We have a window in our bathroom which gives enough light from the outside so I can see what's going on but not in precise detail. When I'm done doing said business I, of course, wash my hands. Now, I know that this isn't going to happen, but I've always had this irrational fear that my dark reflection in the mirror will not do the exact thing I'm doing. As if, mid-wash, my reflection stops, stands still or smiles at me. Absolutely horrifying.

And I don't watch horror/scary movies, so I'm not sure where exactly this came from, but anytime I see a scary prank videos when I'm scrolling it gives me the absolute willies. If someone played a practical joke on me like that I might actually loose my 💩

Anyway, I try to just avoid looking at my reflection and just wash my hands looking downward. I know nothing is going to happen but I can still just feel the pull on my mirror anytime I find myself in there in the dark. 😩

• Haha
Reactions: Six
Back