Advent Children Do I have to complete the PS game first?

i didn't play the game before i saw it, but i am right now, and when i saw it first i could piece it together, but now that i'm probably between 50 and 70% done the game, i'm getting a lot more things, so i'd recommend downloading it on the PSN and playing for a while. get somewhat far into it, and then watch, but if you want a full understanding, beat it.

Nope... the movie was made up of fanservice bullshit.

the only thing that ties in with it is Dirge of Cerberus. The game is pretty much just a glance into the future with a lot of things completely unrelated to the original game.

the only things that even connect with relevance to the game are the fact that
Rufus Shinra is not dead
, and Sephiroth.

Nay, I'd play the game, and personally I still don't understand the movie.

You might read a plot guide or something. But other than that, you're not really much worse off then the people who played the game.

the only things that even connect with relevance to the game are the fact that
Rufus Shinra is not dead
, and Sephiroth.

I thought
Tseng was dead
as well, watched AC and was like.....wot?

I can't decide if I would be confused by the plot of AC if I didnt play the game first, though, thinking about it, as you pointed out, I don't think it makes all that much difference, if could probably just be a stand alone film. It's not like Kadaj, Lozz and Yazoo were even mentioned in the original game, so their introduction wouldn't be confusing, as the in game characters dont have a scooby who they are either...

Eh I guess it's not necessary to have played the game, though personally, if I had the option to do so, I'd play the game before watching the film. Doing it the other way round would be abit odd... though I suppose it could just be like Crisis Core, a prequel to see how they got to that point

Speaking of Crisis Core, I wonder how folk who played that first and are new to the series reacted to the ending :wacky:

It probably won't be enjoyable if you hadn't played the game. But then, I played the game and still did not enjoy the movie. So...

Really, it's a bunch of fanservice and flashy fights. If you do watch the movie, don't base your opinion of FF7 off of it.

You really don't need to play the game, as the movie was all about Cloud and you could just guess what the game was mostly about anyway. It would be nice and you would understand the movie just a bit more, but it isn't a complete must. The game is much better, however, and you won't just be basing your opinion of the game on the fanservice movie, if you do, though.

If you buy the special edition 2 disc DVD, you can watch the little making of the movie thing. You find out what the ideas behind the AC storyline were. And on the 1st disc with the movie, there's a little thing that you can watch that gives you a pretty big summary of what happened in the game. It's long, but it tells you a lot. Honestly though, I played the game beforehand, so I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes. Though, having watched AC 59 times (I own it), I can tell you that knowing the game definately makes a few things clearer.

I'd have to say yes to that one, for the sole fact that the movie doesn't really explain that much about the events that led to the movie and plus, as said in an earlier post by another member, the game would give you mor info about the characters so that you could understand their role in the movie and why it shows cloud doing more then anyone else.

I watched the movie twice before I played the game and I didn't understand anything. I thought the whole thing with
the turks, Jenova, Aerith and Rufus
was particularly confusing. I didn't understand the
post-meteor
setting fully either. After I finished the game I re-watched Advent Children and I finally realized that it wasn't really worth understanding.

I personally just read up on the story since I know I'm not getting the game any time soon. I still really enjoyed the movie and felt like I knew what was going on, just by reading up on it. Now, I do still want to play the game. Even though I know the story. I just really wanted to see the movie and gave in.

It also has the feature where it shows you some of the game, kinda like for a refresher for those who did play the game. I watched that before I watched the actual movie.

I didn't play the game before I watched the movie.

That being said, they did a horrible job at explaining things... I was lost the entire time until Cloud and Sephy showed up...

Didn't see the movie after playing the game either, and I don't really plan on it...

Back