Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Remaster

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
This thread is self explanatory. Which one do you prefer for a game to be as? Would you like for a great game to be remade or remaster?

Remade I think. But with Extra stuff and completely overhauled graphics. I wouldn't want a remake if they'd take away from the game or add things that shouldn't be there but otherwise I cant see anything wrong with a remake.

I wouldn't mind a remastered version too but I wouldn't pay a big amount of money for a remastered one whereas for a remake I probably would.

It would depend on the game. :hmmm:

Take a game like Final Fantasy X or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I felt both of these were perfect in terms of gameplay, battle mechanics, design, story and music. Although Final Fantasy X could have its voice acting redone entirely, I'd hate for them to change anything else. A remake, therefore, seems a step too far as they'll no doubt transform the battle mechanics to something more modern (I don't mind the mechanics in XIII-2, but I LOVE the turn-based system in X). A remaster, in which the graphics are transformed into something smoother and crisper, would be perfect.

However, there are games which never quite reached their full potential, in which the quality of gameplay was perhaps affected by a lack of knowledge and/or advanced technology at the time. These could be remade. If I could think of two examples... :hmm: Well, I could never get into the battle system for Vagrant Story; graphically, it DOES grate on the eyes dramatically (more so than FF titles, I feel), so no doubt it would benefit from being completely re-rendered :P... Furthermore, Grandia II's battle system is so slow, I can't even face playing the game. :( I'd rather they kept the basic system, but speed it up and streamline it a little better. :hmmm: Then there are games with flaws which greatly affect gameplay; in Spyro: Season of Ice, for example, you couldn't tell how high/low platforms were, which caused numerous deaths as you aimed for a platform below you which you discovered, upon reaching it, was several levels higher than the one you had flown from. :lew: I'm not sure I'd want that game remade, but games with a good story, good design but similar flaws should be. ;)

It would depend on the game. :hmmm:

Take a game like Final Fantasy X or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I felt both of these were perfect in terms of gameplay, battle mechanics, design, story and music. Although Final Fantasy X could have its voice acting redone entirely, I'd hate for them to change anything else. A remake, therefore, seems a step too far as they'll no doubt transform the battle mechanics to something more modern (I don't mind the mechanics in XIII-2, but I LOVE the turn-based system in X). A remaster, in which the graphics are transformed into something smoother and crisper, would be perfect.

However, there are games which never quite reached their full potential, in which the quality of gameplay was perhaps affected by a lack of knowledge and/or advanced technology at the time. These could be remade. If I could think of two examples... :hmm: Well, I could never get into the battle system for Vagrant Story; graphically, it DOES grate on the eyes dramatically (more so than FF titles, I feel), so no doubt it would benefit from being completely re-rendered :P... Furthermore, Grandia II's battle system is so slow, I can't even face playing the game. :( I'd rather they kept the basic system, but speed it up and streamline it a little better. :hmmm: Then there are games with flaws which greatly affect gameplay; in Spyro: Season of Ice, for example, you couldn't tell how high/low platforms were, which caused numerous deaths as you aimed for a platform below you which you discovered, upon reaching it, was several levels higher than the one you had flown from. :lew: I'm not sure I'd want that game remade, but games with a good story, good design but similar flaws should be. ;)
This is my views exactly....saves me time writing something that would end up similar :)

If a game is "Remade", I would like the original included so that I can have the choice to play it how I wished. If a game is "Remastered" I want them to fix all of the bugs/glitches/complaints with the game in this go-around.

Metal Gear Solid was remade for the gamecube...but that's the only example I can think of atm. :hmmm:

Anywhoo I guess I'd prefer to have games remade rather than remastered. I don't like the idea of buying the same game twice so I would rather the newer one be as different to the older one as possible.

I don't see what difference it makes, because the majority of people are absolutely incapable of telling the two apart...to be honest, I'd prefer developers spend their time making new, decent games, not giving us half-arsed crap and then trying to make it up to us by re-releasing the games they actually got right.

Between the two, I prefer remakes, although games are rarely remade these days. Updated graphics are meaningless; it's all about the content, and remakes bring with them new content, so.

Metal Gear Solid was remade for the gamecube...but that's the only example I can think of atm. :hmmm:

Anywhoo I guess I'd prefer to have games remade rather than remastered. I don't like the idea of buying the same game twice so I would rather the newer one be as different to the older one as possible.
it was all exactly the same game though, they just converted it to whatever file type the gamecube reads. not remade, just altered.

Take a game like Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen with todays graphics.
It wiould be sensational.
So I am all for a remake in certain cases.

While not in favor of a FFVII remake I think we'll see it eventually as it would be too tempting for Square to pass on. Maybe if they get in a real money crunch a remake of it could be their best way out of the hole.

I prefer a game to be remade because of the following reasons. The developers can start the game from scratch to improve the graphics, fix any errors that the game had, extend the story line and gameplays by adding extra contents to the game, etc. This option is very good in certain cases for making a classic game more valuable and for helping the company economically by increase it's sales rate.

Remaster. I want as close to my original experience with the game as possible without going back to CRT screens. Remakes carry the risk of marginalizing the original, leading to less demand for its rerelease.

I would rather a remaster. I think the reasons have been touched upon in this thread so no real point going over those. Really not against a new coat of paint however. Halo CE:Anniversary and Halo 2:Anniversary are probably the best examples of this. The developers kept the original game's engine running underneath, but created new graphics that ran over the top.

y5c88SM.jpg

The result of this was that the gameplay was 100% the same as it was in the original game, but you were able to switch between old visuals and new on the fly without any loading.

I have no preference; it entirely depends on the game. Like these new Crash titles announced at E3? I would want them to be somewhere in between. I don't want it to just be the same assets repackaged/cleaned up for HD. I don't have any problem with that, but for most of those early 3D games (like Final Fantasy VII), it just doesn't make them look much better. But I don't want them to change any of the levels, physics, etc. either. So I want something that's graphically rebuilt from the ground up, but still feels exactly the same, with the exact same content. That is, of course, barring them changing stupid design decisions or fixing major glitches. I'm pretty sure nobody wants the Crash 1 remake/remaster to include the terrible save system and digital-only controls of the original.

Back