Help Need the FFXII story cleared up again. -Spoilers-

Gabe

Your friend.
Veteran
Gil
The story in Final Fantasy XII is really good, I'm just really confused and I'm terrible at trying to detect what's going on.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

I just got to Mt Bur-Omisace and talked to the dreaming guy, and then Al-Cid showed up for the first time, and broke some news to Larsa that shocked him. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but did Al-Cid tell Larsa that Vayne assassinated the King? But why? Why is Al-Cid even there and is Ashe still trying to reclaim her place at the throne? I know they're now sent off to find the Sword of the Kings or something, but what will that do for them? I heard it cuts nethicite... but I don't know why nethicite will help them out on their journey.

Also, Al-Cid listed a bunch of things during that cutscene about certain fleets and their statuses. What is that all about? Was he describing something important?

Final explanation needed: What was Gabranth told to 'finish off' Drace? Why does Gabranth need to protect Larsa, if Larsa's all the way over in Mt. Bur-Omisace with the main characters? I'm so clueless, this is the first time a story in a videogame made me feel incredibly stupid.

I did have a larger reply, but my internet crashed and I lost it all. :(

Anyways, I was confused when I first played the game as well. I've met lots of people who had to replay a lot to get the story because there was so much going on.

I just got to Mt Bur-Omisace and talked to the dreaming guy, and then Al-Cid showed up for the first time, and broke some news to Larsa that shocked him. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but did Al-Cid tell Larsa that Vayne assassinated the King? But why? Why is Al-Cid even there and is Ashe still trying to reclaim her place at the throne? I know they're now sent off to find the Sword of the Kings or something, but what will that do for them? I heard it cuts nethicite... but I don't know why nethicite will help them out on their journey.
I can't remember exactly what Al-Cid told him, but I'm pretty sure it was that the neighboring nations (whatever they are called in this world) were going to war. :hmm:

As for Al-Cid and why he was there, same as the above. He is there because of the war, and Larsa was hoping to help Ashe (I might be getting timelines crossed, but I'm pretty sure I'm not!) be restored to the throne so there would be peace (and all that).

Yes, the Sword of the Kings does cut Nethicite, or has the power to destroy it. Ashe believes the Nethicite's power will help her restore her power and defeat her enemies (by cutting the Sun-Cryst etc etc), and she also wants the sword to counter the Nethicite (say for example, the bad guy had Nethicite and she the sword -- she could just destroy it with the sword and render him powerless...at least powerless enough to be a normal Hume).

Also, Al-Cid listed a bunch of things during that cutscene about certain fleets and their statuses. What is that all about? Was he describing something important?
War. :)

Final explanation needed: What was Gabranth told to 'finish off' Drace? Why does Gabranth need to protect Larsa, if Larsa's all the way over in Mt. Bur-Omisace with the main characters? I'm so clueless, this is the first time a story in a videogame made me feel incredibly stupid.
Because Larsa's older brother wants to kill him for the throne. Emperor Gramis trusted Gabranth and vice-versa. Gramis trusted him so much, he personally asked Gabranth to protect and serve Larsa as his bodyguard.

Judge Drace, another profoundly loyal servant and Judge of Emperor Gramis, requests Gabranth to protect Larsa, because she fears the Imperial Senate desiring him to be a pawn for Vayne, and for his protection. So Drace and Gabranth agree to protect Larsa, no matter what.

BIGGER SPOILERS:

And when Judge Drace dies after accusing Vayne of killing his father, Gramis, she asks Gabranth to finish her off and protect Larsa from his brother.

So I was absolutely clueless that Vayne wanted to KILL Larsa so HE could get the throne? The entire game Larsa's been talking about how 'wonderful' his older brother was, and is that the impression Larsa finally got after Al-Cid described that story to us? I just learned something new!

Oh man, I didn't want to spoil it for you. I thought that since you beat the game, you would know that. I'm sorry. :(

SPOILERS AHEAD:

But yes, he killed his father and his other brothers too. Grace first thought the Senate would control Larsa, and then asked Gabranth to protect Larsa from Vayne.

I told you that I got to the scene where Lord Vayne threw Drace aside, and then Drace told Gabranth to finish her off, and protect Larsa. I'm quite positive I was already supposed to know this, at the point I'm at.

Back