[V2] Worst Final Fantasy Game?

Worst Final Fantasy game?

• Total voters
If you take into account when each game was released then FFXIII. If you don't then FFXIII is still a valid candidate. The game was inexcusably linear, practically made you play on auto, it had a repetitive structure with almost no diversity in gameplay and many design flaws within what it had, it had nothing of what is needed to craft a world (towns/npcs) and relied on datalogs (external sources) to convey part of it's lore and story, writing was uneven with forced character development for some and downright laughable for others including some minor and major villains... I can keep on forever... Anyway, none of the other FFs have so many flaws on so many key aspects.

By the way, why are there sequels to some of the numbered games listed but not for others?

I haven't played 3, 11, 13, 13-2, or 14 so I can't say anything about them. I voted 7. I had to force myself to finsih the first disc, but it was just so boring that I really didn't want to finsih it. My brother who downloaded it for PSP says it gets better on disc two, but it wasn't enought to convince me.

Honorable mentions to 2 and 12. I hated the way you leveled up in 2 and I barely remember any storyline in 12.

FFVIII by far. That game is absolute garbage. It's the only FF game that I couldn't make it through. I gave it more than a fair shot, I got well into the second disc before finally just throwing in the towel.
Here's why, the junction system was frustrating and absolutely unneeded, the graphics are muddy and just generally look like trash, the story was boring, and the only somewhat interesting character was Squall.
Granted, I haven't played the first two, but I think it'd be unfair to judge them now. They're obviously going to be dated and terrible in comparison to later entries in the series.

XIII.

The hallway. The 50 something hour long hallway. You may not deviate from the hallway, nor may you choose what enemies you fight. They are planned to the letter. You fight them because the game requires you to. No towns, no villages, the stores are in the save points because they didn't want to program towns. No exploration and the battles commence with little to no input from you. It may as well be a movie... and it would be a shit movie.

Rinse, repeat. The hallway continues...

and Snow can get out. Seriously, fuck that guy.

I voted for FFXI but I would have also voted for FFXIV as well if it allowed me more than 1 vote. These are the 2 games I will not play as they have online monthly fees. I'm a console/offline FF gaming kinda guy when it comes to this series. I like going at my own pace, affecting my own character's heroism, and dominating how I want to. Plus all those monthly bills add up over time. Those 2 are on my Hit-list... :/

that doesnt really establish why they are the worst. regardless...my hate of course is....xiii. compared to any ff in the series, xiii removed more than a third that made ff a great game.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, it really ruined the XIII universe for me. The villains and protagonists really made the story what it was, but XIII-2 just ruined everything. I don't want to go on a rant and list everything because if I did I'd be here forever, but almost everything good about XIII was murdered in the sequel.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, it really ruined the XIII universe for me. The villains and protagonists really made the story what it was, but XIII-2 just ruined everything. I don't want to go on a rant and list everything because if I did I'd be here forever, but almost everything good about XIII was murdered in the sequel.

I feel the opposite of this. I think XIII is one of the worst games I've ever played, and XIII-2 is the only good thing that's come from that universe.

I feel the opposite of this. I think XIII is one of the worst games I've ever played, and XIII-2 is the only good thing that's come from that universe.

Yep....common debate among XIII fans. They both suck, just differently. XIII attempted to squeeze a mythos in over 40 hours of gameplay and made it impossible to relate to at all. The characters also had barely any motives other than their focus. So its not like wwe saw some genuine decisions from them.

XIII-2 revamped everything, and in a bad way. Because we didnt get to see the world of the original to its fullest. All that potential thrown away. It might aswell had different cast too but it didnt. Its almost like they made the game just for the sake of Serah being a major character. Noel being the last human in his time? Did anyone buy that? The explanations were pretty bad when it came to travel.

Overall....the story is just too big for these characters. Compared to all FFs this one strives for too much epicness to even be remotely relate-able or believable for a serious fantasy. Its as if Cloud became a lcie type character to battle all the Gods. Time traveling resulting in etro's death, the falcie are death by hands of lcie. Its just bleh. Like im reading a bedtime story, not being sucked into a FF game.

I will say gameplay wise, it solved certain things to make it less tedious, but in no way did it solve any of the main problem. I think we can all agree monster collecting was a waste of a potential third character.

LR: FFXIII is. Going to suck...i think both Xiii and xiii-2 fan/haters will agree. Garb system? Really? Why? It doesnt even remotely look like it was a well thought out story element.

FFXIII
There have been two FF games which I thought were dreaddul, FFXIII obviously, and FFXII.
They're both quite similar because the plot is extremely dull, and the characters non-existent. I think FFXIII is worse because of two reasons. When I first started FFXII I had the hope that it could be a good game, that sense of anticipation. I had no such feelings about FFXIII, but that may be because I had become more cynical over the time between FFXII and XIII.
Secondly, and more importantly, felt so contrived. I never thought that x was an organic plot development or anything like that. It was very clear that this had happened so that that could happen later. The best example of this is with Hope and Snow. Hope, for what seems like no reason at all blames Snow for his mother's death. The only reason why was so they could have the predictable emotional reconciliation later, which they duly did. Even the infinite monkeys in a basement trying to write Shakespeare could do a better job than the people who wrote FFXIII during their cigarette breaks with shit smeared on the wall.
Awful, Awful game.

FFXIII There have been two FF games which I thought were dreaddul, FFXIII obviously, and FFXII. They're both quite similar because the plot is extremely dull, and the characters non-existent. I think FFXIII is worse because of two reasons. When I first started FFXII I had the hope that it could be a good game, that sense of anticipation. I had no such feelings about FFXIII, but that may be because I had become more cynical over the time between FFXII and XIII. Secondly, and more importantly, felt so contrived. I never thought that x was an organic plot development or anything like that. It was very clear that this had happened so that that could happen later. The best example of this is with Hope and Snow. Hope, for what seems like no reason at all blames Snow for his mother's death. The only reason why was so they could have the predictable emotional reconciliation later, which they duly did. Even the infinite monkeys in a basement trying to write Shakespeare could do a better job than the people who wrote FFXIII during their cigarette breaks with shit smeared on the wall. Awful, Awful game.
plus the thing that XII offered was what XIII lacked. Freedom.

Yes.
But the freedom to go somewhere equally boring and do something equally boring isn't something that I value very highly. If FFXIII was any less linear I doubt I could have been bothered finishing it.

Yes.
But the freedom to go somewhere equally boring and do something equally boring isn't something that I value very highly. If FFXIII was any less linear I doubt I could have been bothered finishing it.
i think the freedom to roam, not to mention the lack of random encounters make it easier to play and levelgrind. if xiii allowed towns, and areas to walk around, it wouldve been easier. the gameplay wasnt that bad either. sure the option to use gambit system angered fans, however commpletely optional. i just felt free roam allows a break from the story and just enjoy the gameplay elements. ppersonally though, i feel characters werent suppose to be that important in xii as in xiii, which is why xiii failed more.

i feel characters werent suppose to be that important in xii as in xiii, which is why xiii failed more.
I'm not sure that I agree with that, possibly in the case of Vaan or Penelo because they the story would be unchanged without and to some extent Fran.
But if the characters aren't supposed to be important then I think the plot should be especially strong. But it isn't.

I'm not sure that I agree with that, possibly in the case of Vaan or Penelo because they the story would be unchanged without and to some extent Fran. But if the characters aren't supposed to be important then I think the plot should be especially strong. But it isn't.

Thats not what im referring to. Vaan did save balthier near the beginning, so he cant be checkmarked as completely useless.

What im saying is that the characters were never meant to be loved or have a huge focus on. The story wasntt meant to highlight the entire cast.

To me XiII cast act as if they were playing out a story. Like their actors in a movie (ironically). XIII screams "im this type of character. like me." Half of them tried to be all bad-asS unlike XII where i get the sense that they dont even realize their in some game. "This isnt a story, this is my life. What you see is what you get."

Sure Vaan was annoying, but it didnt feel unrealistically annoying, fran the same. Penelo never grabbed me, so i guess shes the only one i hate.

Idk..my view on XiI againstt XIII

I bought Final Fantasy XII when it first came out and gave up after two days. I remember hating it but I probably didn't give it a fair chance.

Aside from that, I've played every Final Fantasy (besides III) up through X-2. It's hard to pick ones I really hated. X-2 was pretty lame in a lot of ways but I at least enjoyed the battle system. I really like Final Fantasy VIII but it's easily the weakest of the PS1 trilogy (since I found the characters to be weak and the spell drawing to be tedious).

Final Fantasy XIII doesn't look like it would appeal to me. They should definitely at least release the games under different titles at this point.

Well I've only played 3 Final Fantasy games (XIII, XIII-2 and VII) and I've barely started on them so I can't really comment. I don't really get the hatred for XIII, it had a decent storyline, and fairly good gameplay (While it is true that auto-battle makes things easier, if you don't use Paradigm Shift then you're screwed, as I learnt against that godforsaken Aster Protoflorian...Damnit that battle was hard). Whilst it is true that it departed heavily from typical FF gameplay, I don't mind if a game is different from its forbears, and am willing to view it on its merits as a game in and of itself. Also Lightning was one of the best female characters I've seen in a video game for a long time.

Saying that, I do need to motivate myself to play more of XIII, although I'm having similar motivational problems with XIII-2 and VII.

And I cannot understand the hatred for XIII-2 at all. It was a huge improvement over XIII, with the ability to explore, interesting storyline, more challenging battles, and the awesome monster recruitment system. I would rank it up there with VII and VI.

I voted FF XII. Very dissapointing game almost from the start. For some reason a curvy line shoots out from my character at enemies because I'm to stupid to know which enemy I'm attacking. /sarcasm

Also for some reason they use an MMO-style combat system where you click to auto-attack and then spells thereafter. It's very boring and it feels like your not even controlling your character. The AI system for the other characters was also horrible; They would heal when characters didn't need healing and vice versa.

The leveling system...was strange.

The story...was crap. I would recite how it was crap but I don't remember it, because it was crap.

Back