Help Trouble understanding the story of FFXII -Spoilers-

Gabe

Your friend.
Veteran
Gil
I'm currently at the Tomb of Raithwall and I'm in that labyrinth of an area, but I find it's really hard to play the game now because I really can't tell what's going on. I do my best to listen in cutscenes but what they're talking about just flies right over me. So here's some questions I have.

1. What benefit is the group planning to achieve by going to the Tomb of Raithwall and achieving that artifact that proves Ashe's royal blood?

2. Why did Larsa 'keep' Penelo?

3. Why is Vaan even with these people?

4. Why, specifically, was the king a traitor and what the heck was Rex talking about before he died?

5. Why does Balthier decide to park the airship 8 miles away from their destination so I have to run through mobs of enemies for 4 hours?

6. Why did Ashe fake her death and why is she with the other characters in FFXII?

I think these are the only questions I have for now :\

1. What benefit is the group planning to achieve by going to the Tomb of Raithwall and achieving that artifact that proves Ashe's royal blood?

If she's proven to be of royal blood, she can ascend to the throne of Dalmasca.

Gabe said:
2. Why did Larsa 'keep' Penelo?

Judge Ghis has her under surveillance. Larsa took her to keep her safe, and ostensibly to keep the others safe from the rest of the Judges and allow them to go to Raithwall without being followed.

Gabe said:
3. Why is Vaan even with these people?

A lot of reasons, none of them really great. :wacky: Mainly two. He wants to be a Sky Pirate, so he'll go on any sort of adventure if Balthier/his airship is involved, or just for the adventure itself. Also, he got kind of caught up in the political intrigue because he wants to figure out what the deal was with Reks.

Gabe said:
4. Why, specifically, was the king a traitor and what the heck was Rex talking about before he died?

Raminas? He signed the treaty that unconditionally surrendered Dalmasca to Archadia. The people of Dalmasca didn't really like that. There's a bit more to it that'll come out later.

Gabe said:
5. Why does Balthier decide to park the airship 8 miles away from their destination so I have to run through mobs of enemies for 4 hours?

The jagd. Skystones don't work over jagd, so the Strahl can't cross the Jagd-Yensa.

Gabe said:
6. Why did Ashe fake her death and why is she with the other characters in FFXII?

She's the last one of the royal B'Nargin line, so if she were known to be alive, she'd probably have Archadians trying to assassinate her every 15 minutes to eliminate any claim to the Dalmascan throne.

As to why she's with the other characters, it's more that they're with her. She'd probably be heading to Raithwall alone if she needed to. But. Basch is with her for reasons that will come out later, but also to prove to the group that he's not a traitor. Balthier's with her also for reasons that will come out later, but ostensibly for the wealth and glory and treasure, etc. Fran goes where Balthier goes, for the most part. Vaan's reasons are above. Vossler's reasons will come out soon as well.

Alright. That makes me feel better about the story. I wouldn't mind hearing other people's explanations as well so I can hear another person's view as well.

Back