FFXIII-2 We need to talk about Serah...

In case you haven't realized, the encounter system in XIII-2 is random just like older FF games. Its not like what you think when you approach a nearby enemy, they will appear. They are all random. But I agree with you it may look better visually with all monsters on the map. But there are disadvantages to having them on the map for FFXIII-2. Note that I have played the game, halfway through.

Firstly, FFXIII-2 is not linear. You need to backtrack and revisit locations to move on in the story. AND there are many sidequests this time, that require even more exploration. Having fixed encounters with monsters blocking the path will be extremely repetitive and annoying. Just imagine having to backtrack only to fight the same set of monsters again. Monster appearing on map in FFXII works because the maps are open like MMOs. Thus you can still avoid monsters to a certain degree.

Also, from my experience playing the game, the way monsters suddenly materialize and surprise you is actually exciting. Then you can choose to flee or fight. It's even more fun when rare monsters appear out of nowhere. There was one time when a rare green chocobo appeared and I was all excited and try my best to get it into my party.

About Serah, yes she is frail. I lost count how many times she have been protected by Noel. But she is actually quite strong mentally. She haven't gone on a significant and long, annoying crying or giving up scenes. She shed tears, but moved on. Which is what most characters do.

You will most likely like Noel. He is very likable. He's not annoying nor whiny.

The encounter system is random, just like in VIII or IX. The only difference now is that you will actually see the monsters before the battle starts. And I think you get to choose if you want to fight them or just flee... Which is awesome in my opinion!

MogClock_01_%28US%29_RGB%20copy.JPG

What I don't get about XIII-2 is that they have eliminated the ability to see monsters on screen unless they are nearby... then it goes into the Mog Clock system and a transition into battle. Why couldnt they keep it like it was in XIII? I have no problem with random encounter transitions like the old games, but this is just tedious and for a modern game it looks pretty poor than only nearby enemies appear out of the blue. I loved riding my chocobo in Grand Pulse watching all the monsters. I just feels like a step back to me.

I my opinion, think they had to use this idea of " random appearances" within the game due to the changes which they had to make for the sequel. Think about it this way:

XIII doesnt have "towns", it has a computer for a shop. Any visit to a city of any sort causes commotion( we all know why). This "commotion" allows the game developers to put enemies into the cities, like palumpolum.

However, XIII-2 doesnt seem to be like that. They came up with towns because of complaining from fans, that meant they had to get rid of roaming monsters. You cant have a behemoth walking through the square of "new-whatever", as it would cause chaos with the system's AI, Psicom soldiers fighting constantly, etc.

This is where the "mog clock" works for me. It allows monsters to show up in cities/ towns, allows you to run away easier if need be and- in my opinion- gives an exciting edge.

Probably another reason for the monster appearing suddenly before the transition to battle is that, in XIII/XIII-2, you can't flee from the battle in the battle screen. You can only choose retry, which requires an annoying loading screen.

By having the game shows you what monster you are going to encounter, you can decide whether you want to flee manually by running away from the radius of the mog clock, or fight the monster. Some monsters may be rare monsters you want to fight, while others may be the regular annoying easy battles which you rather avoid.

If the monsters do not appear before the battle, and it's completely random like older FFs, you have to go through the hassle of selecting the retry button.

Well your complaint about monsters not appearing in the field for visual purposes, there are actually some moments in the game where some monsters do appear on the field even from far away. In archylte steppe, we still see those flying wyvern monsters up in the sky. In a certain place, flans are also on the field. Another place had cieths attacking the civilians as witnessed from far away. Chocobos, are of course, still on the field. Boss monsters too.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really enjoying the mog clock system. It's really interesting to see how NPCs react to monsters that suddenly materialize. For example, some NPCs got surprised and start firing their guns. Some just get weak and go around saying 'help' and the monsters start attacking them. Some chocobos around the field will even come to help Noel and Serah.

Just try out the game first before you make a judgment. I was skeptical about it at first, but Im now preferring it than any other encounter system.

I think the general fan response will show a lot of people liking Noel, but few liking Serah, to be honest.

While Serah is not annoying, she was stereotyped as the girl who can't do anything or protect herself, from what people see in XIII. So with such mindset, I doubt many will have a good impression on Serah as they begin the game, no matter whether she's a decent character or not.

So just go in with an open mind. Take her as a new, fresh character. You may still not like Serah in the end, but at least you know you are not biased in doing so.

I was also very excited about the game, so much so that I bought the Japanese version. While the game didn't meet some of my high expectations, it's really a good game to me. I haven't finished it, but I think it's worth being recognised as a proper FF title.

Back