Sleeping + Music

Raiiyokuu

Guide of Misery
Veteran
Gil
So I'm just curious to know if anyone else here listen to music while they try to sleep.

For me, listening to music and laying down is almost a sure fire way to get me to sleep, no matter how awake I might. Truth is, unless I'm really exhausted, I can't even sleep for 10 minutes without some sort of tune playing. That is why I always have my Zune charged and ready almost every night, so I can listen to music that is either peaceful, or has some soothing vocals.

Just thought I'd ask. :dave:

Every night before I go to sleep, I set my iPod dock to turn off in an hour and throw some music on :gasp: I can't stand going to sleep without some sort of noise in the background :hmmm: Except occasionally I'll completely forget (if I'm that tired) and crash without the music. Otherwise it's on every night :grin:

Eh, I like it nice and quiet.

But I do like falling asleep to music sometimes. Like either piano music or some of my other fav music. I've tried to fall asleep to CheVelle but I just end up listening to it and singing along. :lew: But if it's classical music I can doze off quicker than white on rice with that stuff :wacky:

Eh, I like it nice and quiet.

But I do like falling asleep to music sometimes. Like either piano music or some of my other fav music. I've tried to fall asleep to CheVelle but I just end up listening to it and singing along. :lew: But if it's classical music I can doze off quicker than white on rice with that stuff :wacky:

Same here Cali, I have a playlist full of Piano covers and other peaceful instrumentals.

I can occasionally sleep to rock and other types. :wacky:

I do occasionally have music on to fall asleep too, mainly psychodelic/sludgy stoner rock like Black Pyramid and Arc of Ascent or some of Devin Townsend's softer material.

I find that recently, for myself personally, having earphones in whilst trying to sleep is becoming increasingly annoying. Im not sure why, probably just not liking noises right in my ear so much anymore. So began using speakers at a low volume more but now im in a new house with new house mates im a bit scared to play music and wake them up. I get in early enough as it is in the morning, I dont want to disturb them even more than I had done. :wacky:

If my computer wasn't a complete fuck up when running overnight, I would be listening to my music like all night, but now I just pop in my mp3 player for about a half hour until I get to the point I start drifting off. When that happens, I happily put it on my nightstand, turn Sirius radio on, and go to dreamland. :grin:

I can't quite understand how people can fall asleep listening to music. I've tried it and i find it too distracting. I like to fall asleep in silence. If I'm thinking of things before bed or am distracted by something I wont fall asleep.

I can listen to music to get back to sleep if I've woken up too early for my tastes, but if I try and listen to music whilst I'm trying to sleep, I just end up staying awake, when the song changes I just jolt awake again. I'm usually sufficiently tired these days that I need no aid to sleep anyway, I drop off within half an hour. xD

There is an invasive species of frog(the coqui frog) here that makes chirping noises, every night, all night.

That's the closest thing I have to music. :grin:

See, how loud it is in that clip? That's accurate in terms of how loud it is as I'm sitting here typing this. lol

I don't even notice it anymore...

(I didn't upload that clip, btw...)

I never listen to music while I try and fall asleep. Falling asleep with my ipod on and draining all of the battery overnight does not appeal to me. I tend to listen to my ipod whilst travelling, so I'd tend to need the ipod in the morning, and would not have time to charge it up again.

I prefer to either read a little bit, or perhaps just lie there and dream of a day when I'm awesome and such.

Last edited:
I fall asleep with my headphones in every single night. Ive done this ever since i was a kid and had a casette player. Now i use my iphone.
I dont need it to sleep but it just doesnt feel right going to bed and not listening to music. I usually set the sleep timer so it goes off after 45 mins or whatever.

rarely ever. If I do, it's usually something pretty mellow, but in my high school days i was not unknown to crank the knob to max and pass out from lack of sleep w/ all kinds of terrible metal playing.

Nowdays, I just turn everything off and go to sleep.

i fall asleep listening to music all the time. and not just in my bed :wacky: tho recently ive not been using the earphones when i go to bed they irritate my ears then i wake up being strangled by the cable :wacky:

I can't stand any sort of noise when I'm trying to sleep.

I just need silence and nothing more.

Lights don't bother me too much but sounds will keep me up all night. I don't care how soothing the music is, all it does is keep me alert and unrelaxed when I'm trying to fall asleep. >.<

Like I have said before, I listen to one of my Mitch Hedberg CDs before I go to sleep. I make sure my iPod is not on repeat, so it will stop playing when the album ends, preserving my battery. That is the only thing I can listen to when I am going to sleep

I can't quite understand how people can fall asleep listening to music. I've tried it and i find it too distracting. I like to fall asleep in silence. If I'm thinking of things before bed or am distracted by something I wont fall asleep.
i'm the same, although i do like to listen to stuff beforehand to relax me and calm me down.

i would like to add that i can fall asleep listening to anything on my ipod. including acdc. if i enjoy the music it makes me feel relaxed to the point of sleeping. whatever i fancy at the time is what i'll listen to. theres no specific album that sends me to sleep etc

I do this often. Listening to music on blackberry until I fall asleep. Usually I do wake up and turn the device off and go back to sleep.. :P

Sleep has to come in silence for me. :hmmm: I tried to fall asleep with music playing, but my mind ends up focusing on the songs too much to fall asleep. I'll think of the lyrics or melody and follow the song in my mind. If anything, it just keeps me up. If I'm trying to fall asleep, I prefer reading. I don't think there can be any distracting noises for me. Even when I watch TV to drift off, I have to turn it off before I can actually sleep (not by sleep timer).

I will occasionally listen to music before bed as I find it lulls me into a 'day'dream and helps me fall asleep, but I can't seem to fall asleep whilst listening to it. :hmmm:

When I was tired at Uni, I would occasionally lie on my bed with the light off, listening to some music. It was incredibly soothing. It made me feel happier, more relaxed, less ill (if I had a headache) and generally gave me time to recover from stress.

Listening to music often encourages me to think positively. It helps me put a problem into perspetive and can consequently help me discover a solution. If I'm going through personal issues - emotional turmoil - it can help me envisage a better state. I will often see myself smiling and dancing, surrounded by the people I love, who love me too. :lew: I guess music helps me see things the way I want them to be, which can then encourage me to transform a negative situation.

I suppose that's why it helps me sleep... If my mind is racing late at night, I can use music to find peace, and I can then more easily fall asleep. :)

Back