Zack or Cloud

Cloud

I Think Cloud is better because he has more power than Zack :king.midas: he has defeated Sephiroth in which Zack couldn't do if he Wanted to Zack was stronger in crisis core but after wards No way :bobbycorwen:Cloud had the strength to carry on but maybe if Zack was still alive he could have he died and that wasn't fair

Crisis Core is dumb. Zack looks like a fashion model in that game :P
url.jpg
FABOULOUUS!

Here on the other hand.
pic.png
Rock on!

PS1
Overhead view
Zack-ffvii-sword.png
Wild Soldier, cool!

But to answer. I will say neither, they play each part out. they are a team, i salute to that (y)

^ Lol is that eye-liner??

It depends on the situation and the game for me; Zack's more likeable and an all-round good guy while Cloud has to deal with more and that's what makes him so "annoying," I use this term lightly. I'm hugely biased to Zack though because he saved Cloud from Shinra Manor; stopped Genesis from screwing everyone over, and took out a huge number of troops. He never once thought of himself and that is what pulls my vote.

I love them both but in my personal opinion I like Cloud's story better just because of everything he had to overcome. I did like Zack's upbeat personality better and was a strong enough person to never lose sight of who he was like Cloud, Sephiroth,Genesis and Angeal did. Then again if it wasn't for Zack there would be no Cloud...

I'm going to try my best to not be technical about it: I don't want to point out the differences between the two, because they are very much the complete opposite. So to try and point out who's better in which ways, are kind of pointless to me. I mean c'mon now.

In all honestly, Cloud strides and wants to be Zack. He looks up to him, admires him and fights with him. Zack is his role-model.

I don't really want to ramble too much about them so :

I liked them both. They completed each-other in the sense that of comparison, they balanced out.

This opinion is strongly biased, but I'm voicing it anyway :mokken:

Zack by far. The "cloud is stronger" excuse is extremely invalid, because during hojos experiments on the body, Cloud was infused with Zack cells and Jenova cells AND Sephy cells, so Cloud wouldn't be what he is without Zack for an essays worth of reasons.

However, strength has very VERY little to do with character, as what makes a character good is depth, personality, individuality, and desires. Clouds character development begins with arrogant in the original game and ends with emo git in the later installments, how that change came to happen is beyond me. The thing that irritates me most about Cloud in the original game is his lack of caring for the planet. At the beginning he claims it's not his problem; last I checked, he lived on the planet. At the end, it's purely to get revenge for Sephiroth, he says it himself that this just happens to mean saving the planet. This doesn't sit right with me, something about not caring about all life on the planet and only wanting to fulfill ones self desire irks me. Barret has the same issue, but this isn't about him.

Zack, on the other hand, actually develops properly. He starts as we imagine a child would, wanting nothing more than to be a hero. At first this bothered me, to be someone so cliche and overdone. But as his story progressed, so did he as a character. He began to forget this dream and instead wanted to protect his honor, he wanted to be the man he admired, the man he never knew he would grow to be. He faces against Genesis for the sake of what's right, not because of anything personal. He wants to protect his honor and pride, I admit, but it's not his direct motivation. Looking at it from my perspective, Zacks idea of protecting his honor and pride means protecting everyone, doing what's right, following the path of a hero without seeking to become that hero, and he did this. He achieved everything he wanted until the very end when he died trying to see the one person he wanted to. The one personal desire the man had was never able to come true, but he was still the hero he wanted to be at the beginning, even if nobody would know.

Zack wins by far, even if Cloud is stronger (Which for the sake of story, he is). Zacks story and character wins over Cloud.

Of course, this is opinion. I admit to hating Cloud when looking at all the installments. Somehow in Advent Children he changed to an emo git, and this even shows in the brief moment you see him in Dirge of Cerberus. I can buy his change after the Hojo experiments, Mako poisoning is a bitch, so that change I'm fine with.

Actually, Jenova cells were just that.

CLoud is still an amazing character, both personality, strength, and cool factor.

Zack was always the supportive character. and no ammount of hate for cloud could justify choosing Zack over him.

Expand, please. You say it as if it is a fact of it's own, some information is needed. Or am I wrong because potatoes grow on trees?

Hating Cloud and not hating Zack means that the individual that does so would of course choose Zack over Cloud. It's simple logic. The simplest logic there is.

Some Authors and Game Developers do often make a supporting character more likable, in example, Legend of Dragoon makes Lavitz, a completely supporting character, even more likable than Dart. I haven't met anyone that played that game that thinks Dart is better than Lavitz. Lead and support have got nothing to do with this.

Zack was the basis of making of Cloud who he is, but he's not "everything". only his past.

Zack's cool factor wasn't even that great. he was just a modest soldier. an average 1st class soldier who never really showed anything special about him. We never get to see his family and how much it impacted him. We do see he likes to acts like a womanizer. that doesn't mean i don't like him, but as a character he left such a minor impact.

Also in crisis core, i felt like they were trying to show too many sides of him, some that didn't feel correct or rushed to show them. One of those involved a particular scene where my mind screamed yaoi when Zack reunites with Sephiroth with the Junon incident. Zack acts all shy and wants to ask Sephiroth if they'll see each other again, but Sephiroth answers before he can asks. then immediately, Zack turns on the "cool" factor and says "i'll hold you to that".

Often times i didn't think Zack was his own person but a character playing the role of predecessor of Cloud.

Cloud on the other hand was strong, he has the appearance of a 1st-class soldier and exceeded. even before infused with any cells of jenova, he was able to catch sephiroth off guard and momentarily beat him. and this was at infantryman level. Throughout the series, although different sides of clouds were shown, it never really seemed like Cloud was contradicting himself.

Cloud still appeared like a badass, in both ff7 and advent children. in crisis core, he was a bit of a wimp, but it wasn't unheard of. FF7 revealed he was an infantryman, and a seven year gap really does allow someone to grow and become a completely different person.

Unless Zack can perform an omnislash version 5, i'm still going to say Cloud is the stronger one.

I can see your side of the argument, and I won't argue against it because these are all opinions, but don't you think it was out of place to call me flat out wrong because you disagree with me? :hmmm:

I agree Cloud is stronger, I said that in my earlier post. In fact, that's not even an opinion, Cloud just is stronger, and that's a fact...But cloud is there because Zack was able to help him. Of course, that aside, we're diving into preference territory, Cloud simply isn't the type of character that I like. But I see your point, it's much better to have a discussion when you express yourself and provide some exposition. I like Cloud, but at the same time I hate him. I like him because he is relatable, talking about how weak he felt. We all feel weak at times, even if we're mighty. I just happen to be the type that prefers Zacks sunny attitude, even if it doesn't always seem to line up. My head didn't light up with the Yaoi idea, though :wacky: And again, this opinion is very biased, my dislike for Cloud clouds my judgment (budum tiss).

Also, I think Zack coming off as a "standard" first class Soldier is what makes me like him even more. It makes him feel more human, overcoming a literal weakness rather than a mental weakness, but this is, again, preference territory.

Last edited:
not claling you out. i was simply asking for more reason behind it by provoking more thought.

either way, if its basically preference, then thats all i can say about it. i still enjoy both characters.

Zack. A thousand times Zack.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Cloud, per se, he's just the kind of character - broody, a little sulky, kind of angsty - that doesn't maintain my interest very well. Zack, however, who keeps his good cheer despite awful things happening to him, that's a character I can get behind a lot more.

Back