Why does everybody have to bash XIII???

Basch1990

Blue Mage
Gil
This is only a rant thread and i would like comments and suggestions but please don't be offended by content. This whole thing is my oppinion and i would love to hear feedbacks.

If you think about it XIII was meant to be that way as a base story for the whole thing... Made mostly for the story... Who gives a crap about it being linear and Vanille isn't all that bad if you think about it. Sure she can be annoying but I'm sure everybody knows somebody like that in real life... So why bash on her... It's such a retarded reason to not like the game... And Hope?? Even though he pissed me off a bit (only because i knew what happened to his mom) he was still kinda cool... The story line and graphics were great and you can say the battle system was experimental... The games isn't perfect i will admit but it was fantastic... Final Fantasy has always been about the story line and each one has something that you aren't gonna like... But they are all great... Even XIII and XIII-2 will probably be better... Even though they are giving in to the people on it (Which i think is absolutely retarded) it should still be fun... Now i think XIII was an absolutely great accomplishment in the line of Final Fantasy games and Square Enix should be proud of it... Anybody that says its a horrible game wouldn't know a great game if it slapped them in the face with a brick and screamed in their ear saying "HEAR I AM!!!"

Last edited:
People bash it because they dont like it. I wouldnt even waste my time slagging it off really. I didnt finish it as i thought it was complete garbage. Youl alwyas get people who will bash games theyve never played. They hate it just for the simple fact they want to. CoD being a good example of a game people love to hate.
Youl find the majority of people on this site though who dont like ff13 will slate it because they have played it and they do agree...that its crap :wacky:

Sure she can be annoying but I'm sure everybody knows somebody like that in real life...
Even though he pissed me off a bit (only because i knew what happened to his mom) he was still kinda cool...
I have read these exact words somewhere before. :hmmm:

I have spoken about my fondness for this game several times before, so I don't really feel it's important to repeat myself here. >_< Even though I like the game, I can understand why certain fans of the classic FF series would dislike this game. As a game in and of itself, it's good, but it isn't the greatest example of a FF game... It isn't quite as engaging as Final Fantasy VI, VIII and X. The story isn't as complex, though FFXIII-2 will no doubt change that! It doesn't use a classic battle system. It doesn't give the gamer as much control over the characters stats and their performance on the battle field...

Last edited:
It doesn't use a classic battle system. It doesn't give the gamer as much control over the characters stats and their performance on the battle field...

I completely agree with that but thats why i said it was experimental... and yea it wasnt as complex as most games but it was still a good game... not the best but still good... its a step to a new age of the final fantasy games and its gonna change all the time... not every final fantasy has to use the same battle system just like kingdon hearts didnt and devil may cry... sure devil may cry may not be an rpg like final fantasy but its still a good example... everything is gonna change sooner or later...

Yes the game has a good story IMO, but it fails to tell the story properly to the general audience. That's why people perceive the story as rubbish.

Overall, the game is not immersive enough for people to like it. It's relatively shallow without real towns, exploration, etc.

Just face it. FFXIII is not a good FF game. That's why many FF fans really really loathe it.

I like XIII, as I have said many times, but I don't love it as much as other FF games.

Yes it's a mediocre/okay-ish game to me, but I sometimes can't stand people calling the game filth, rubbish, sh*t, etc.

Yes the game has a good story IMO, but it fails to tell the story properly to the general audience. That's why people perceive the story as rubbish.

Overall, the game is not immersive enough for people to like it. It's relatively shallow without real towns, exploration, etc.

Just face it. FFXIII is not a good FF game. That's why many FF fans really really loathe it.

I like XIII, as I have said many times, but I don't love it as much as other FF games.

i can agree with most of this... they could have told the story better and it iisnt as good as a lot of those in the past but it really is kinda good...

Yes it's a mediocre/okay-ish game to me, but I sometimes can't stand people calling the game filth, rubbish, sh*t, etc.

and this is how i feel a lot as well...i kinda believe it was more of the experiment type of game and thats why its not as great as it should be

Just learn to get over it =)

It will give you nothing but frustration.

I still get irritated when people do not give any credit AT ALL for the game, but I no longer reply nor ponder too long about it. It's pointless. Just let it be.

If you still have faith in Square Enix, then anticipate the new games with certain degree of caution (to avoid disappointment). Ignore the people who have opposing opinions and you will be sure to enjoy the games you love. Then they will annoy you the minimum, and you will offend them the least. Isn't that a better win-win situation? After all, there's no way in which you could control people's minds and change their stands totally.

lol thanks for the advice... im just one who absolutely hates when people bash wht i like... i will say XIII is in my top 6 FF games since ive only played half of them i believe... but its only cause i enjoyed the story and the graphics... ^_^ i really cant wait for XIII-2 since its mostly about serah and you didnt see much of her except in flashbacks... but i do have high hopes for it...

The long and short of it? Because it's a crap game, that's why :trollface:

I agree with you that FF has always been about storyline. The problem with FFXIII is that it didn't have one. Now, I'm perfectly willing to accept the classification of a "story driven game" or whatever they said it was, but the problem was that it lacked the story. It was a stream of random events strung together without a decent antagonist to hold it together, a recycled and outright terrible cast of characters without even a shred of emotion in some and an excess of random emotion in others, and there was nothing even remotely redeemable about it.

The soundtrack was atrocious, which I find unforgiveable, and the battle system...well, "press X to win" is a bit inaccurate, but only regarding boss battles. The linearity is perhaps the last thing I'd pick at, if only because there were so many other damning flaws in it to begin with.

But seriously, why do people bash it? Personal preference. I happen to like thought-provoking storylines, excellent soundtracks, engaging characters and gameplay, and something that isn't just pretty graphics. FFXIII was none of these to me. It's as simple as that. You don't like it? Well, to be blunt, tough shit. I'm attacking the game, not you personally because you like it, so you shouldn't go after me or anyone else who didn't like it purely and simply because we don't agree with your opinion. Simple as that.

While I am loving FFXIII at the moment, I can see the flaws in it, incredibly so. I knew from the moment I started playing it many wouldn't like it; mostly for the reasons people have mentioned above. I wouldn't let it get to you that much. I don't haha.

I like the game so far though I keep getting stuck on hard bosses and have to cp farm for ages, like right now for example I will be cp farming for the next 12 hours just to get over this hump in the game, once I beat the boss the monsters will be easier than when you first start the game. The backwards leveling system also threw me off, im not a fan of leveling up my weapons. Just let me train my characters the way I want to train them.

After all that, I still think its a good game. Just wish I had time to finish it. :P

I like the game so far though I keep getting stuck on hard bosses and have to cp farm for ages, like right now for example I will be cp farming for the next 12 hours just to get over this hump in the game, once I beat the boss the monsters will be easier than when you first start the game. The backwards leveling system also threw me off, im not a fan of leveling up my weapons. Just let me train my characters the way I want to train them.

After all that, I still think its a good game. Just wish I had time to finish it. :P

you never actually have to cp farm... all it takes it the right strategy with your paradigm shifts... if you have the right combination then you are good to go

because it was a shitty game. as far as most gamers go, I'm really not that picky (despite whatever impression my past criticisms have left you with) and I can play just about any game that features decent gameplay.

FFXIII has, hands down, the clunkiest and most meaninglessly drawn out gameplay that I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

It's motherfucking worse than Disgaea if you were item worlding and didn't realize that there was an option to tell every druid character in the game that they were massively self absorbed cunts for thinking that you even gave the slightest fuck that they took a crap on your empty bonus gauge by turning off enemy animation effects.

And that, OP, is the reason why I hate Final Fantasy XIII. Your mileage may vary.

because it was a shitty game. as far as most gamers go, I'm really not that picky (despite whatever impression my past criticisms have left you with) and I can play just about any game that features decent gameplay.

FFXIII has, hands down, the clunkiest and most meaninglessly drawn out gameplay that I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

It's motherfucking worse than Disgaea if you were item worlding and didn't realize that there was an option to tell every druid character in the game that they were massively self absorbed cunts for thinking that you even gave the slightest fuck that they took a crap on your empty bonus gauge by turning off enemy animation effects.

And that, OP, is the reason why I hate Final Fantasy XIII. Your mileage may vary.

one question... what game isnt meaninglessly drawn out???

This really summed it up for me. I'm not done playing it, I'm probably around 1/3 of the plot. Overall, I find it mostly bad than good. Graphics-wise it's stunning. It took me a while to get used to how great it is. The soundtrack is a hit-and-miss thing for me, the battle system is somewhat enjoyable, and the characters...tbh, I don't like any of them. I won't judge the plot since I haven't finished it yet so I can't really say... But so far, I'm not excited. :hmmm:

The only thing keeping me going is the fact that the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole is special to me, so I want to play through it.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It's not something to be taken personally. Don't let it get you too much - if you love it, that's all that matters. :ryan:

one question... what game isnt meaninglessly drawn out???

There are plenty of games that are entertaining and have decent stories... FFXIII is a shameless plug trying to hit the 40 hour mark with a battle system that's slower than frozen molasses.

Honestly, the battle system is the number 1 reason why I will not even give this game a chance. After 20 hours of just staring at a battle screen for 5 minutes every time I entered a battle, sitting in frost novas and being globaled with shatter combos was more entertaining.

I've not only finished the game but got my platinum on the PS3 version, and even I didn't like it.

Infact if it didn't have the words "Final Fantasy" inscribed on it I'd have stopped playing after 20 mins or so into the game.

It's linearity and lackluster feel of even being an Final Fantasy is unforgivable. The shabby and often confusing plot aswell as weak characters aren't up to the standard it's predecessors had left off either. One thing I did enjoy was the battle system ( Incoming criticism!
:D ). I understand it was far too simplified but I'll like the way they're taking it if they add more.

Overall, a poor FF title that should be done and dusted with after.. /cringe/.. XIII-2.

Last edited:
What others have said, FF13 is a crap game. It's terribly linear, flat and the characters are made of cheese epsically Snow. I'M A HEEEEEEERO SERAH. :hmph:

Not to mention it's repetitive. Run in a straight line, fight, cutscene and then run in a straight line, fight, cutscene. Repeat. Just walk into a game store, and find the return game section and see how many copies of FF13 there is, over here I can find 6 copies of FF13 that people have brought and then returned it to the local game store, asking for there money back. FF13 gets dissed because it's a bad game, with nothing but flashy "pretty" graphics.

The problem I have with the game is that they focused on nothing but the Graphics and in doing so the story which in turn made everything else rubbish. Now...I could probably have forgiven that since it's always been the story and characters that I prioritize when playing any game. But the story wasn't good, it was utter rubbish. There was no main villain, there was basically no story at all, they just did nothing but run around the whole time seeing nothing but pretty scenery and going nowhere discussing how rubbish their life was now that they were cursed.

The characters were together the whole game, they spent time with each other exclusively with nobody else since they were on the run. So why was there no bond? No friendship? No comraderie? No development whatsoever between them?

Hell, there wasn't even development within the characters themselves.

So I understand that they based the game pretty much soley on the story and around it - but they didn't seem to put much thought or care into the characters or story anyway. So in the end you end up with a game that's 60% glowing graphics, 30% rubbish story and 10% rubbish gameplay.

Xx..xX

People bash it because they dont like it.
This.

My problem with the game is the lack of story. I guess I could get over the liner maps, bad acting and whatnot, but I can't get pass no story, ya know? Everything looks really random and the system/s look like they were thrown in because the developers thought it was a cool feature. And the graphics. They spent a long time focusing on that, but not refining the story or features of the game, or even the characters.

There are a lot of moments in the game when the creators should have killed their lovelies. lol

Back