Why does everybody have to bash XIII???

Its not exactly "shallow", just going against your better judgement. ANd thats what many ppl do with FF13. i've seen people who love ff13 bash on many other FF games for things they should've bashed FF13 for.

Gameplay wasn't that great. Not many people like the idea of controlling their party through commands while controlling one character. It was mostly about timing and less about which attacks helped the most. Most of the time was getting to the momentum, but through the first half, you did the same typical formula. Not to mention that most of these battles are beatable, the only problem was getting 5 stars. Without the 5 star system, we would've probably seen more well thought out enemies with more.

For RPGs, story has evolved while gameplay doesn't always....but in this situation, the battle system isn't the only thing about gameplay....gameplay, we still had hallways to go through, we had the same flawed system of ff2/ff8 when it came to new weapons.

Final fantasy 13 is a good game ut 13 2 is better. However on 13 I like how the espers turn into transformers my friend told me about it and it sounded pretty cool and fun.

Not everything is about graphics. Looking pretty doesn't make a game good.

Exactly just because a game looks good graphic wise does not make it a good game. On that notion that graphics alone make the game and we are all playing on "rubbish" TV's so we can't know how stunning the game is, is a crack of bull. Sorry but the game is bad for it's mechanics, having the story told through the data logs which you have to read to find out more then half of what is being presented, sub-par battle system. I mean look at how the AI controls two of your party members, then the game over if your only controlled character dies despite there being a revive spell. Further added to the mess despite having all six classes there are only spells one character can learn from each class instead of having equal access amongst all the spells.

The graphics have little to do with it, it's bashed because of cast, story, and mechanics.

Phosphoric Ooze is clearly trolling. he only talks about FF13, and everytime he does the only thing he says is the graphics. and refuses to discuss anywhere else...

A lot of people getting carried away reading through this thread but I'll offer my two cents. I enjoyed XIII for it's story and the reasonably fluid combat. Some people forget when bashing the Paradigm system that it was essentially a rehashing of XII's gambit system only difference been you change your paradigms/gambits in battle rather than been stuck with them beforehand. Having everything hinge on your party leader dying or not was a ludicrous decision however completely sucked the fun out of battles at times. I prefer XIII to it's predecessor though as it wasn't as boring so it seemed like a decent start to FF on PS3 to me at the time it came out. However then came XIII-2 and LR.........

The story was interesting in XIII at least albeit a bit of a rehashing of X's story to an extent. XIII-2 had good battles but an atrocious plot and was equally linear the worst thing Square did was getting rid of the world maps after FFIX every FF since feels linear without it. I'm going through FF V at the moment for the first time and so far it has not one but two world maps!!! I liked Lightning's character in XIII found it funny she was a jerk for no reason and lets face it we all wanted to hit Snow for his " I think I'm a hero boasts" ugh. But the story was mercilessly butchered for money in XIII-2 and LR for me and the gameplay becoming more flat and simplistic with each game in the series and by LR I wondered was I playing an RPG at all anymore. I played through LR to the end wanting to know XIII's world's ending storywise now I kinda wish I knew nothing of the plot at all after the end of XIII.

I often wonder how XV would have tied into the Fabula Nova Chysallis saga had it remained versus XIII.

A lot of people getting carried away reading through this thread but I'll offer my two cents. I enjoyed XIII for it's story and the reasonably fluid combat. Some people forget when bashing the Paradigm system that it was essentially a rehashing of XII's gambit system only difference been you change your paradigms/gambits in battle rather than been stuck with them beforehand. Having everything hinge on your party leader dying or not was a ludicrous decision however completely sucked the fun out of battles at times. I prefer XIII to it's predecessor though as it wasn't as boring so it seemed like a decent start to FF on PS3 to me at the time it came out. However then came XIII-2 and LR.........
Difference being however that Gambits you can choose before hand and customize more freely and you had the option to use them. For FF13, the option was no longer an option and more mandatory. There was no other way of playing it, you had to play it that way. the game REVOLVED around paradigm shifts and not only that, but had a very very very slow start. PLUS....the game was easier because it was more designed to getting 5 stars.

Not only that but very early in the game, the attacks were too high, the heath bar for enemies was too thin, it was very difficult to see which attacks worked best,which didn't. so you needed to have a guide. and this applies to ff13-2 as well.

IF you could customize and unlock attacks from the beginning, FF13 would've been an actually good game. Not decent, not so-so, but GOOD. but instead, the game is more based on controlling them by status and aiming to get it perfect more than just surviving...yes you control them in real time, but you don't have that full control you normally get or you don't get the "FULL" control, the full decision making. Gambits at least for the most part allowed you to customize so that the AI would work with your battles and completely OPTIONAL.

The story was interesting in XIII at least albeit a bit of a rehashing of X's story to an extent. XIII-2 had good battles but an atrocious plot and was equally linear the worst thing Square did was getting rid of the world maps after FFIX every FF since feels linear without it. I'm going through FF V at the moment for the first time and so far it has not one but two world maps!!! I liked Lightning's character in XIII found it funny she was a jerk for no reason and lets face it we all wanted to hit Snow for his " I think I'm a hero boasts" ugh. But the story was mercilessly butchered for money in XIII-2 and LR for me and the gameplay becoming more flat and simplistic with each game in the series and by LR I wondered was I playing an RPG at all anymore. I played through LR to the end wanting to know XIII's world's ending storywise now I kinda wish I knew nothing of the plot at all after the end of XIII.
Considering FF13 was already pushing it with mechanical god-like beings who controlled most of the world and destroying them to save the world. It felt already stretched fromt he beginning. FF13-2 was a decent idea, but it literally had to forget everything about FF13 to do it. If FF13-2 was its own game with a whole new set of characters, i'm sure it would be nice.

But LR had a perfect chance to tie them all together, but it didn't...then again, FF13-2 shot itself on the foot.

I often wonder how XV would have tied into the Fabula Nova Chysallis saga had it remained versus XIII.
Fabula Nova Crystallis Project was a fail in my opinion. Each game looks amazing individually, but not as a whole. they all drifted so apart, they shouldn't even be considered within the same project.

The project was originally made as if the original mythos of FNC was the one used in !3 hence it was originally called: Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII. But it was removed when they changed it to Type-0, saying it was far too different, and it was, but more-so. they weren't part of the same world. and the same was hinted for FF15.

PLUS....the game was easier because it was more designed to getting 5 stars.

Not only that but very early in the game, the attacks were too high, the heath bar for enemies was too thin, it was very difficult to see which attacks worked best,which didn't. so you needed to have a guide. and this applies to ff13-2 as well.

I'lll admit I had help of guides alright but I'm even needing to refer to the net for FF V at the moment as every so often I'm getting a little lost.
The star rating thing drove me batty if you defeated a boss at low levels or well since there was no levels in XIII lets say an under developed party??? but if you ground out the victory the game seemingly punished you for it and took away the satisfaction of a hard fought victory.

Considering FF13 was already pushing it with mechanical god-like beings who controlled most of the world and destroying them to save the world. It felt already stretched from the beginning. FF13-2 was a decent idea, but it literally had to forget everything about FF13 to do it. If FF13-2 was its own game with a whole new set of characters, i'm sure it would be nice.

Meh out there plots is nothing new for Final Fantasy series to this day I still havent gotten my head around that a figment of someone's imagination defeated a real giant whale monster and made a girl cry even though he was never real in X. :tumbleweed:
Caius was the highlight of XIII-2 for me the best villain in the XIII series Bhunivelze had potential in LR but never came across as the god he was meant to be to me. Orphan was the strangest part of XIII's why a falcie who wanted to be killed spent the last boss battle in the game trying to kill those who were going to kill him before they had a chance to made no sense at all :facepaw: but beyond that I felt XIII's plot was more structured than it's sequels up to that point in the game.

Fabula Nova Crystallis Project was a fail in my opinion. Each game looks amazing individually, but not as a whole. they all drifted so apart, they shouldn't even be considered within the same project.

Yeah I agree with this I feel the project was an excuse for them to reuse the same gameworld to save money on development in the long run. The chances of seeing FF XV-2 are much higher than FF XVI on next gen consoles as a result of the companies change in work ethic. The plots with the three games in the series seem to contradict and argue with each other. Just look at XIII and LRs interpretation of Lightnings youth for example who Lumina turned out to be made me want to throw my game controller at the tv. :ffs:I prefer the Claire Farron from XIII to LR myself.

I'lll admit I had help of guides alright but I'm even needing to refer to the net for FF V at the moment as every so often I'm getting a little lost.
I was some-what lost in certain games such as ff1 and ff6, but often times it was something you understood when you just trust your instincts and find a way. But with FF13, i was literally lost, i saw literally no differene when i changed my methods. especially after chapter 10 when the game was more streamlined. Most guides for other ffs are for minimal things, figuring out certain secrets, and others.

But for FF13, the guide is necessary to enjoy it and get the most out of it. which to me means it was a fail.I still belive paradigm shifts are horrible, and gambit system is far better.
The star rating thing drove me batty if you defeated a boss at low levels or well since there was no levels in XIII lets say an under developed party??? but if you ground out the victory the game seemingly punished you for it and took away the satisfaction of a hard fought victory.

i personally saw no satisfaction. it was annoying when i fought the same way and still didn't get 4 stars then somehow ended up with 5. summons were especially annoying.

Meh out there plots is nothing new for Final Fantasy series to this day I still havent gotten my head around that a figment of someone's imagination defeated a real giant whale monster and made a girl cry even though he was never real in X. :tumbleweed:
i do believe FFX has some little quirks that make it difficult to accept personally.

Caius was the highlight of XIII-2 for me the best villain in the XIII series Bhunivelze had potential in LR but never came across as the god he was meant to be to me. Orphan was the strangest part of XIII's why a falcie who wanted to be killed spent the last boss battle in the game trying to kill those who were going to kill him before they had a chance to made no sense at all :facepaw: but beyond that I felt XIII's plot was more structured than it's sequels up to that point in the game.
XIII was vague, sequels had a chance to give it far more structure, but it didn't. that's why the sequels are disappointing....because what little XIII introduced, it did nothing to expand.

Yeah I agree with this I feel the project was an excuse for them to reuse the same gameworld to save money on development in the long run. The chances of seeing FF XV-2 are much higher than FF XVI on next gen consoles as a result of the companies change in work ethic. The plots with the three games in the series seem to contradict and argue with each other. Just look at XIII and LRs interpretation of Lightnings youth for example who Lumina turned out to be made me want to throw my game controller at the tv. :ffs:I prefer the Claire Farron from XIII to LR myself.

It was due to how the structure was. by the time dissidia they confirmed they were all from each world. so some retconning. having "XIII" didn't mean they were part of the same world. to them it was part of the same "mythos" (not the same thing). But since dissidia, it made more sense to label them into a different world.

Not everything is about graphics. Looking pretty doesn't make a game good.

i'm just saying that you can't fully experience how good the game is visually.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy has always been about the graphics because it's what attracted me to it in the first place. It all started when watching Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. I can tell you this, when FF15 comes out everyones eyes will be popping out because of the graphics.

Phosphoric Ooze is clearly trolling. he only talks about FF13, and everytime he does the only thing he says is the graphics. and refuses to discuss anywhere else...

Razberry Knight is clearly predictable. I only talk about FF13 because of owning the game. FF13's music is phenomenal so the graphics is not the only part to discuss. The only other two main FF games that i've played is FF7 and FF9 on a hacked PSP.

In my opinion, Final Fantasy has always been about the graphics because it's what attracted me to it in the first place. It all started when watching Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. I can tell you this, when FF15 comes out everyones eyes will be popping out because of the graphics.

Razberry Knight is clearly predictable. I only talk about FF13 because of owning the game. FF13's music is phenomenal so the graphics is not the only part to discuss. The only other two main FF games that i've played is FF7 and FF9 on a hacked PSP.
Calling me predictable isn't really saying much considering i openly admit to hating FF13. and you're right, there is defintely a lot more to talk about when it comes to ff13. However, you don't even "try" to bring up any of those point.

You don't talk about anything else but graphics. in fact your comment just shows up that FF has always been about graphics just because thats what got you into it in the first place. You justify the game for being good "BECAUSE" of graphics. So calling you a troll, is far from the worst.

I mean there are worst things to call someone who only values graphics, and nothing but that. might aswell call every movie you ever saw the best game you ever played.

FF15 at the moment looks amazing graphically, but i'm still concerned with how much FF15 has to offer and if it follows in some aspect traditional FFs.

People before me have already expressed no interest in the graphics of the game. We're reaching a plateau where there's no new levels where graphics can be taken because CGI cut-scenes are so damned close to live action, in five years time there would be next to no difference. Graphics are no longer impressive and this is the only praise you have to speak for the game. This is why the indie scene is successful, and is growing to gain as many or more sales on the steam market than AAA games.
People want gameplay and story which 13 is lacking. I own it; I could not make very far before I simply could not tough through the flat characters and the horrible story. I could not trade it in because they were offering me three dollars for it, the month after its release, because nobody wanted to buy it new from them let alone used.

Having 13-2 ruined for me made me confident I was saving my time by shelving the disks and never touching them. FF13 is unable to follow through a logical storyline capable of captivating people new to their series or retaining the attention of loyal fans. It is bullheaded to continue to insist the people who dislike the game simply don't appreciate HOW OVERWHELMINGLY GOOD the graphics are for whatever reason, be it an old TV or that we have a pre-disposed hatred towards the series. Check the URL of this website. We're not here because we like to bash the series. If this many fans of the series say it's shit, it's shit.

Please do not initiate a name-calling session here. Such posts will be deleted and infracted.

Don't reply to this post. PM me if you have any concerns.

If this many fans of the series say it's shit, it's shit.
By this "logic", every FF game is shit. FFXIII does several gameplay-related things better than any other FF game; add that to the entertaining story, relatable cast, and--yes--the excellent audio and visual experience, and you have the reasons why most people who played FFXIII enjoyed the game.

Now, it also does several gameplay-related things quite poorly, and the game consequently bombed with the significant fraction of the fanbase that values those things highly, but there's a big difference between a game being bad for people outside of its target audience and a game being bad overall.

Calling me predictable isn't really saying much considering i openly admit to hating FF13. and you're right, there is defintely a lot more to talk about when it comes to ff13. However, you don't even "try" to bring up any of those point.

You don't talk about anything else but graphics. in fact your comment just shows up that FF has always been about graphics just because thats what got you into it in the first place. You justify the game for being good "BECAUSE" of graphics. So calling you a troll, is far from the worst.

I mean there are worst things to call someone who only values graphics, and nothing but that. might aswell call every movie you ever saw the best game you ever played.

FF15 at the moment looks amazing graphically, but i'm still concerned with how much FF15 has to offer and if it follows in some aspect traditional FFs.

I called you predictable for using the word "troll"

I mainly mention the graphics because unless it's played on a proper television running at 1080p, you won't be able to experience how good the game is visually.

FF13 is a great game not just because of the graphics. The music, presentation, and story is what makes it one of the best games.

People before me have already expressed no interest in the graphics of the game. We're reaching a plateau where there's no new levels where graphics can be taken because CGI cut-scenes are so damned close to live action, in five years time there would be next to no difference. Graphics are no longer impressive and this is the only praise you have to speak for the game. This is why the indie scene is successful, and is growing to gain as many or more sales on the steam market than AAA games.
People want gameplay and story which 13 is lacking. I own it; I could not make very far before I simply could not tough through the flat characters and the horrible story. I could not trade it in because they were offering me three dollars for it, the month after its release, because nobody wanted to buy it new from them let alone used.

Having 13-2 ruined for me made me confident I was saving my time by shelving the disks and never touching them. FF13 is unable to follow through a logical storyline capable of captivating people new to their series or retaining the attention of loyal fans. It is bullheaded to continue to insist the people who dislike the game simply don't appreciate HOW OVERWHELMINGLY GOOD the graphics are for whatever reason, be it an old TV or that we have a pre-disposed hatred towards the series. Check the URL of this website. We're not here because we like to bash the series. If this many fans of the series say it's shit, it's shit.

I'm just saying that you didn't experience how good the game is because you played it on a rubbish television just like all the other people who talk bad about the game. I'm here to address that if you played FF13 on a proper television i.e a top plasma or lcd then you would experience how stunning and breathtaking the game really is. At the very least you would definitely cut the game some slack and say it was a joy to play.

I just recently completed FF13 and it's story is very good. It's a solid story if you understand it. I've just started on FF13-2 but know that the story is not focused on. I don't own lightning returns because of the gameplay being messy and the story being bad.

Watch, you'll think the same way when FF15 comes out. Because it's obvious you'd rather have a Final Fantasy game have crap graphics and good gameplay than good graphics and good gameplay if that makes any sense.

I called you predictable for using the word "troll"

I mainly mention the graphics because unless it's played on a proper television running at 1080p, you won't be able to experience how good the game is visually.

FF13 is a great game not just because of the graphics. The music, presentation, and story is what makes it one of the best games.

Presentation is no different from graphics. of course any high end game will have good "presentation". music is also nice, but again you have ignored one core aspect. gameplay.

as for story...it was rather stupid.

I'm just saying that you didn't experience how good the game is because you played it on a rubbish television just like all the other people who talk bad about the game. I'm here to address that if you played FF13 on a proper television i.e a top plasma or lcd then you would experience how stunning and breathtaking the game really is. At the very least you would definitely cut the game some slack and say it was a joy to play.
I just recently completed FF13 and it's story is very good. It's a solid story if you understand it.
ff13 isn't hard to understand. its story just wasn't up to par.
I've just started on FF13-2 but know that the story is not focused on.
it's still should be judged by it.

I don't own lightning returns because of the gameplay being messy and the story being bad.
and yet, you set different standards for different sequels.

Watch, you'll think the same way when FF15 comes out. Because it's obvious you'd rather have a Final Fantasy game have crap graphics and good gameplay than good graphics and good gameplay if that makes any sense.
If you follow the discussion about FF15, graphics is not the one thats a main concern. sure it was a concern in the early stages, but we already see the quality. Now its about gameplay, story, etc. not everyone is 100% convinced.

but you make it clear as day 97% of what matters to you is graphics. the rest is story, and gameplay.
By this "logic", every FF game is shit. FFXIII does several gameplay-related things better than any other FF game
Ff1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10 are highly praised almost universally.

3 and 5 are somewhat within low opinion. especially since we didn't receive those ones until much later. ff8, 12, arre within high contraversy. ff2, ff13 are within the highly critiqued.

So that logic doesn't work.
add that to the entertaining story, relatable cast, and--yes--the excellent audio and visual experience, and you have the reasons why most people who played FFXIII enjoyed the game.
Now, it also does several gameplay-related things quite poorly, and the game consequently bombed with the significant fraction of the fanbase that values those things highly, but there's a big difference between a game being bad for people outside of its target audience and a game being bad overall.
story and cast being relatable is upto debate. i absolutely have no connection towards the overly extreme Lightning, the overly chipper and Vanille, the dramatic Sahz, the egotistical idiot Snow. Hope is the only one relatable as he lost his mother and saw who's fault it was, curious as to where his progress is did die a bit when he suddenly had an epiphany to accept snow and not his fault.

story wise, it was a journey about a group that were forced into it. sure they save the world. but they barely had any relation to the personal conflict and the conflict of the world.

Presentation is no different from graphics. of course any high end game will have good "presentation". music is also nice, but again you have ignored one core aspect. gameplay.

as for story...it was rather stupid.

ff13 isn't hard to understand. its story just wasn't up to par.
it's still should be judged by it.

and yet, you set different standards for different sequels.

If you follow the discussion about FF15, graphics is not the one thats a main concern. sure it was a concern in the early stages, but we already see the quality. Now its about gameplay, story, etc. not everyone is 100% convinced.

but you make it clear as day 97% of what matters to you is graphics. the rest is story, and gameplay.
By this "logic", every FF game is shit. FFXIII does several gameplay-related things better than any other FF game
Ff1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10 are highly praised almost universally.

3 and 5 are somewhat within low opinion. especially since we didn't receive those ones until much later. ff8, 12, arre within high contraversy. ff2, ff13 are within the highly critiqued.

So that logic doesn't work.

story and cast being relatable is upto debate. i absolutely have no connection towards the overly extreme Lightning, the overly chipper and Vanille, the dramatic Sahz, the egotistical idiot Snow. Hope is the only one relatable as he lost his mother and saw who's fault it was, curious as to where his progress is did die a bit when he suddenly had an epiphany to accept snow and not his fault.

story wise, it was a journey about a group that were forced into it. sure they save the world. but they barely had any relation to the personal conflict and the conflict of the world.

What you need to understand is that FF13 has the best presentation of all FF games to date. The menus are just eye candy. The music is also one of the best of all FF games. The gameplay also is good.
It just shows you hate on the game because the first FF13 story is solid. I didn't understand the story at first just like other people but to say it wasn't up to par is wrong. Look how ridiculous the FFX story is yet you don't hate on that game.
Lighting returns did take a drop, that's why it has worse reviews than XIII and XIII-2.
100% what matters to you is the story and gameplay.

What you need to understand is that FF13 has the best presentation of all FF games to date. The menus are just eye candy.
FF13 had the best representation doesn't mean a thing. of course it will have better representation than previous final fantasy games, it was the first next-gen game. of course the presentation is going to be "better" but that's not the unique strengths of what makes ff13 a great game, any next generation Final Fantasy game will have good presentation.

Menu's being "eye-candy" doesn't even leave a dent. In fact! i hated the menus. sure they look well design, but the goal of menu's is to be easy to navigate. And even with a 1080p TV, the letters were significantly smaller and there was a lot to read.
The music is also one of the best of all FF games. The gameplay also is good.
Music was good, but was over-the-top in my eyes. Gameplay is the #1 thing that was horrible....i've said it multiple times, the gameplay was one of the worst games in FF games.

It just shows you hate on the game because the first FF13 story is solid.
Solid? We're talking a group of people who barely had a connection to the over all plot. in fact the majority of it was related to saving Sarah, but saving the world came second. The antagonist barely had much motive. There only motive was to return to their original creator. No one connected with that.

Everything happened in Ff13 happened just because the creators said it did. the world didn't feel natural. the motives were artificial. I dont believe for a second a person like Serah can fall for an idiot like Hope. no one in the entire world acts like vanille. NO one is as dense and cold as Lightning without getting called out on it.
I didn't understand the story at first just like other people but to say it wasn't up to par is wrong. Look how ridiculous the FFX story is yet you don't hate on that game.
Lighting returns did take a drop, that's why it has worse reviews than XIII and XIII-2.
the story was still shotty.
100% what matters to you is the story and gameplay.
damn right, any true gamer would care about that at least 75% more. especially for RPGs. if this was a visual novel, perhaps i can let it slide.

FF13 had the best representation doesn't mean a thing. of course it will have better representation than previous final fantasy games, it was the first next-gen game. of course the presentation is going to be "better" but that's not the unique strengths of what makes ff13 a great game, any next generation Final Fantasy game will have good presentation.

Menu's being "eye-candy" doesn't even leave a dent. In fact! i hated the menus. sure they look well design, but the goal of menu's is to be easy to navigate. And even with a 1080p TV, the letters were significantly smaller and there was a lot to read.

Music was good, but was over-the-top in my eyes. Gameplay is the #1 thing that was horrible....i've said it multiple times, the gameplay was one of the worst games in FF games.

Solid? We're talking a group of people who barely had a connection to the over all plot. in fact the majority of it was related to saving Sarah, but saving the world came second. The antagonist barely had much motive. There only motive was to return to their original creator. No one connected with that.

Everything happened in Ff13 happened just because the creators said it did. the world didn't feel natural. the motives were artificial. I dont believe for a second a person like Serah can fall for an idiot like Hope. no one in the entire world acts like vanille. NO one is as dense and cold as Lightning without getting called out on it.

the story was still shotty.
damn right, any true gamer would care about that at least 75% more. especially for RPGs. if this was a visual novel, perhaps i can let it slide.

Yup, knew it. For someone who doesn't like the menus clearly hates on the game. I just don't know how someone can dislike eye-candy. The music was beautiful and one of the best. I wouldn't say the gameplay is the best but it still runs smoothly.
The story was really well done and it had some really good moments. One of my favourite moments was in chapter 7 when you was in Hope's house in the dark fighting the guards. Barthandelous is one of the best FF antagonists of all time.

What you need to understand is the most important thing is the feeling that the game gives you.

Back