Text or Talk?

Kandy-Sugar

ღWhite Roséღ ♀
Veteran
Gil
Do you prefer talking to someone on the phone or texting them?

I really don't like talking to people on the phone unless it's Steve.

I hate sitting at home on the phone. I get so bored and antsy. I just want to move and do something other than talk to someone on the phone for two hours straight. <_<

I would rather go and visit them then talk on the phone.

My ears get so hot and start to get sore from the phone being pressed against it too. It's also harder to try and get off the phone. You start to say, 'Well I've gotta go now.' and then they start up a whole new conversation and I'm not one to interupt and tell them that I really need to go. :gonk:

Texting is so much easier. You can say what you need to say and when they reply back you can reply whenever you feel like it.

Steve is the total opposite to me. He hates texting. He'd rather talk on the phone for three hours at a time then text someone. >.<

Not a big talker at all. If you look at my phone bill, I tend to have a lot of calls that only last for about 3 minutes at the most. Unless it's my dad, who doesn't live in the state, I will only talk if necessary. Otherwise, I much prefer text or some kind of messenger service.

:hmmm:

Depends on the person for me.

There are some people I can just talk and talk to on the phone/over a mic and things never get boring and are always fun. Then there are people who are hard to talk to using those things and it just gets awkward.

For those quiet awkward people, I prefer to text/type. Though sometimes if i am tired i prefer to just text, like Kandy said, you can reply when you like and can think about what you say before you say it.

Feeling deja vu because I just answered this yesterday in my English class :gasp:

For me it all depends on the person and how much time I have. If I want a conversation and I'm close to the person, I prefer talking over the phone because it's much quicker than waiting for them to text back (especially if you really want to hear the answer fast). If I'm in no particular hurry and it's just a casual conversation, I'd prefer to text or IM. IM being the much quicker alternative with how fast I type and that it's instant instead of waiting for your friend to get the damn text :wacky: Also it's easier for me to talk to people I don't know well over IM or text because I can be more of myself without being shy like I am in person with pretty much anyone I don't know.

Just depends on the mood or what's happening with me.

If I'm in a mood that I really don't feel like talking, I usually just tell my friends to text me and not even bother with calling because my mood in in "shit, I fucking hate the world". It's the same with texting. If my fingers are hurting too much from typing, I would just go to the call or something in that sense.

Like Ryan, it really can depend on the person, as well. If it's one of my best friends, then yeah I'll talk to said person via call, but if it's someone I am friends with, but don't feel like hearing their voice:-)wacky:), then I'll just text them. Or if I'm in the car on a road trip with parents or others, then I find that texting is more efficient. It's more quiet, and more private.

I used to prefer calls. I'd spend up to 4 hours on the phone, changing sides when one ear starting to hurt... But now I find it hard to talk on the phone. As Kandy has said, it's not nice having to stand still somewhere! :argh: When I'm on the phone, I want to be moving about and doing other things. I don't mind too much talking on my mobile, but generally I won't focus COMPLETELY on the conversation and that makes me feel rude...so I prefer to text or talk in-person. I can walk around and discuss incidental goings on when I'm with people! :D

I prefer talking to people, because typing out full sentences as text messages is time consuming, and I can't bring myself to type in text speak, because it annoys the fuck out of me. If it's something short - like confirming a meeting - then I'll always text the person in question, but otherwise I'll call them. Although since I don't really use my phone much of the time...xD

I'm a horrible chatterbox on the phone though; I've spent ten consecutive hours talking to friends before...mother was not pleased. xD

I've gone from text people shitloads and rarely phoning people to always being on the phone and rarely texting. I just find it a lot easier and a lot more pleasant being on the phone to people especially given I'm back at uni and my parents, siblings and girlfriend live no where near me. I only text when I know of something amusing and I'm out of the house but it's not worthy of phoning someone. In fact, most of the time if I'm not phoning someone I'll just look them up on FaceyB rather than text them.

It always feels too awkward speaking to people on a phone, I've never gotten used to it. So I usually just text most of the time and let them reply at their leisure unless its something urgent. The only people I ever could stand for conversations lasting hours over the phone were a couple of ex-gf's.

At the moment I seem to have a problem with my iPhone. It keeps thinking headphones are plugged in; so I can hear them but they can't hear me. Apparently it can be remedied by plugging in headphones in and out a few times but that doesn't seem to work so well anymore. So now im getting by with just texts or using the mic on the headphones if they happen to be plugged in at the time. Awkward but an excuse to get away from too many calls I guess.

I do a bit of both.

I text a good few people...some that I don't see too often and my family of course.

Otherwise I'm not admittedly a fan of talking on the phone too much. I hate long, drawn out conversations, especially those where you haven't talked to someone in AGES and you have to play catch up with their lives...and years of it :damon:

I don't know. I feel like texts are pretty impersonal but they are so easy and a few types and a finger click away...I prefer text I guess. However, if its someone you love then hearing their voice on the phone cannot be beat.

I do not like calling or talking on the phone, I think I must rely on facial cues a lot because I often interrupt or leave a silence when I'm on the wire. I also think people sound different on the phone so I am never certain I am speaking to them Also if I am getting directions, I prefer to have them saved as a text so I can check them when I am stuck.

I loathe humans who reply to my text with a call

Ehhhh if i need to get something cleared up then it has to be a phonecall.
Sometimes though when your sitting in doing nothing and just relaxing you cant really be arsed with phoning so texting becomes a hell of a lot easier. You dont have to reply on the spot and can take your time. My pals mostly reply to texts with a phonecall though which can be pain sometimes. Its 6 and half a dozen tbh.

Id much rather text than talk, you have to give all your attention when you talk, unless its summat that cant wait, or i know i wont get a text back anytime soon il ring

its just more convenient.

Depends, if it's something of little important or just a short message then I text. If its something important or me having long conversations with someone then I call.

Texting.
I like to wait before I reply to people to show them how low down my list of priorities they are. You can't really do that when you are talking to them on the phone. I don't like to constrain myself to a mere three words, but I can get my point across in 160 characters. Texting is much cheaper, I don't have the money to waste on inane conversations, that is what texting is for.

For me, it depends on who it is and what it's about. :hmmm: Texting is easy and convenient so if it's just to say 'Hey, what's up?' it's the best way. Although, I rarely reply to texts like that.

But if a friend is experiencing a big problem or needs to talk about a serious issue (depending also on how much I care about him/her) I'd meet up. Calls or texts can only do so much, whereas meeting in person, I could hug and show my support better.

Usually talking, but it gets awkward when neither of us has anything to say at the moment... Some things for me are easier to talk on the phone about and some things I feel more comfortable texting about...

It's all about what needs/wants to be talked about to me, really...

I prefer texting.

At least for me, whenever I have to talk on the phone, it always gets really awkward, like we don't know what to say to each other, even when I talk to family this happens. Texting is much easier, so I can say what I want to, without all the awkward parts.

I hate talking on the phone. I get all nervous and giggly and shaky. I can't even feel comfortable enough to call customer service without being a nervous-wreck. My speech skills aren't the greatest and I know I'm awkward to talk to. I don't mind talking to say, my sister or my boyfriend. But if it was someone I barely knew, or a complete stranger, i'd rather text.

Back