Help Random Stats in Grimoire of the Rift?

0gb.us

Gil
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift was fun the first time around, so I decided to try it again, but with more of a challenge.

This time, I'm trying for 100% completion, which for me, involves getting the stats of at least all the non-replaceable characters as high as they will legally go.

I've been looking at this guide, and it talks about a random variance in stat increases upon leveling. But because the stat gain is in quarters of a point, I may not notice if I didn't get the best point gain until it's too late. It's not a big deal for the throw-away characters, but for non-replaceable characters such as Adelle, Cid, and Hurdy, it can't be redone without completely starting over.

Does anyone know a good way to calculate the true stats, not just the ones displayed by the game?

Also ... when I switch my unit's jobs, they sometimes gain or loose attack points! Is there a reason for this? The unit has no equipment before or after the change, so I just don't get it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The link above is hard to see, so here's the URI: http://0gb.us/?luso

Last edited:
It sounds like the best way to tell the stats would be to do groups of levels. Like if it's .9 of a stat within 2 level ups you will get a good guess that your stats went high. It would be great after the third if your stats went up again. The thing about some of these Final Fantasy games is that it is hard to get maxed stats. It seems to be one of the hardest things to achieve. If it's .1 of a point each level up, you will tell within 10 levels if it was good or not. This seems like a waste of time this way.

That sounds good in theory, but what if I get good stats on the first level, and bad on the second. Doing multiple levels at once lowers my chances from less than one percent to nearly impossible odds.

I understand that what I'm trying to do will be difficult, and may border on insane, but I don't have the money to go buy more games, so I've got to make the most of the ones I've already got.

But, I did some more number crunching, and it seems, with the exception of Moogles, I might be able to reach the 999 stat cap (or at least the highest legally reachable stat) in all areas without needing to know if I got the bonus before level 11.

For reference, I used this equation: $x*98+9*8+(8+7+6+5+4+3+2)*10-10, where:
- $x equals the growth rate of any stat excluding speed
- 98 is the number of levels to gain, starting at level 1
- 9*8 there are eight levels in which the bonus is equal to 9
- (8+7+6+5+4+3+2)*10 there are ten levels for each bonus amount from 2 to 8
- -10 we remove ten points, to assume we got the negative bonus for the first ten level-ups, to be on the safe side, as it's hard to tell at that point.

If I get the bonus on every level starting with level 11, even if I get the negative bonus every time before that, I will max out as long as the growth rate is at least 6. Starting at level 11, the bonus will make enough of a difference that I should be able to tell.

As long as I get "Luso", Adelle, Vann, and Frimelda into the Seer job quickly enough, there shouldn't be a problem. Frimelda is a pain though, as she joins you immediately after a battle against high level monsters, without giving you time to delete your high-level units, so getting her at a low level may be impossible. Vann has the same problem, but to a lesser extent. Nu Mou can also max out their stats, but as the Alchemist.

Al-Cid, being trapped in the Agent job, is unable to max out his MP, but can max out everything else.

Penelo can max out everything as the Dancer, making her the only Viera capable of maxing out her MP. Otherwise, the White Mage is the best option for maxing out all other stats, and getting the MP as high as possible.

Hurdy and Montblanc are just going to have to make sacrifices. There's just no getting around the fact that Moogles can't max out all their stats, but they can get pretty close. To get as close as I can, I'm going to need to find a way to know the hidden stats. On second thought, I better crunch a few more numbers later to check this. By switching jobs back and forth, there may yet be a way.

Using the above equation, Cid, as well as any other Bangaa, can max out every stat aside from MP, and can get the highest MP as a Bishop. Seeq and Gria are in a similar situation, having a single job (Viking and Geomancer, respectively) that will both provide the highest MP growth, and with enough reset, can max out all other stats.

In conclusion, it appears that I won't need to see the hidden stat growth of my units, except for Moogles. I'm sure I'll figure something out for them as well. I hope someone else can make use of this too.

EDIT: I made some mistakes in my equation. The equation should be:
$x*98+10*8+(9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2)*10-10, where:
- $x equals the growth rate of any stat excluding speed
- 98 is the number of levels to gain, starting at level 1
- 10*8 there are eight levels in which the bonus is equal to 10
- (9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2)*10 there are ten levels for each bonus amount from 2 to 9
- -10 we remove ten points, to assume we got the negative bonus for the first ten level-ups, to be on the safe side, as it's hard to tell at that point.

The minimum stat growth needed is 5 to max out any given stat, with enough resets.

Using these new numbers, it is possible to get any unit's stats maxed out, with the exception of Seeqs and Al-Cid. Both can max out all but their MP. Al-Cid doesn't seem to use his, anyway.

EDIT 2: Curses, I mis-read the guide. My equations are meaningless. Units can't max out everything, which brings me back to needing to know the hidden stat values. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Back