Help FFIX: Beginner's Tips?

Belias

The Gigas
Gil
I just bought Final Fantasy 9 and before I play it, i'd like a few tips like...are there any secrets or certain things NOT to do? EX: The Zodiac Spear in Final Fantasy 12, where you don't open specific treasure chests or else you're screwed >.<.

I just bought Final Fantasy 9 and before I play it, i'd like a few tips like...are there any secrets or certain things NOT to do? EX: The Zodiac Spear in Final Fantasy 12, where you don't open specific treasure chests or else you're screwed >.<.

hmmm.. no you won't get any super treasure chests that will murder u :wacky:

One: Steal steal steal off of every boss in the game.... that how you get much of the awesome weapons armor etc in the game... this will defo help u in the game

2, in Gizamaluke's Grotto when u face the boss... chuck a tent on him right at the start of the fight.. there a chance that it will blind and slience him.. therefore making the battle piss easy :grin:

3. when u leave Lindblum.. go to the qu marsh.. catch the frog and give it to the crasy looking person.. then u will get Quina... alot of people don't know this unless they look it up

hes a couple more tips.

Weapons give you skills, and few you can get later so pick and choose when to change weapons.

Save often! No joke!

When you get
Eiko try to level her up a lot because later in the game something happens to Garnet for a while which makes her a pain to use

Buy multiple copies of you weapons and armor, at least 3 copies. When synthesizing becomes available there are many things you will need a copy off. Heck some times you will need to synth the same item multiple times for a later synth.

Only thing you can do is try to get to the final dungeon on disk 4 in under 12 hours for a weapon, though it's almost nigh impossible unless you already know what your doing in the game. So leveling up to reasonable standards learning abilities, side quest, you name it you can't do it if you want to stand remote chance of getting there.

1. Steal from everything, especially bosses.
2. Save all your beginning equipment so it can be used to synthesize later.
3. When grinding, don't aim for a level, aim to master all the skills each character can learn from every piece of equipment you have. Repeat when new equipment becomes available.

Make sure to steal as often as you can; the main character has an ability later on that does more damage based on steal successes. On that note, the first fight you get into, steal everything off of him; there's a nice item that can make things rather easy.

Try to retain all your items; there is a shop called a synth shop that combines them into better items and after certain points int he game, old weapons become unavailable.

There's a reason people are equipped with what they have when they join; leave them in their starting gear until they learn it all. Unless you have another equipable item for them that teaches it.

- Make sure to level up Zidane to at least LV 7 in the Evil Forest before leaving.

- Find the Mage Mashers in the Ice Cavern. This will make the boss battle with Zidane by himself much easier.

- Buy another pair of Mage Mashers in Dali, and then sell both pairs in Lindblum for a Butterfly Blade or Orge Basher, I can't remember which.:gonk:

- Level up Garnet as much as you can in CD1 before heading towards the airship to Lindblum, it will help.

- Level up Zidane, Vivi, and group before heading into Clerya's. And search around for treasure, and a ice staff for Vivi, equip it on Vivi before entering Clerya's town.

- In Gizamaster Luke's Grotto, head into battles and make sure that everybody is near trance before opening all doors. Though I love the idea of throwing a tent on him, that another member suggested, never thought of that !

- Also in Giazmaster Luke's Grotto. There will be a save point with two moogles, and a line of vines nearby. Climb up the vines and equip Coral Ring,
antibody(ABILITY).
Have Quina in your party, and have her at 1hp. Then head into a fight with a Grand Dragon, and hopefully you'll survive and level up really quickly. SAVE AFTER EVERY BATTLE. You could be level 60, before changing to CD 2 if you're extremely lucky with this trick.

- That should help with CD 1/ beginning of C D2.

Last edited:
The Ice staff can be stolen from Grizmaluke as can mythril dagger from Sealion. And you almost don't have to worry about finding the mage masher in the ice caverns since you can steal it in the first fight (make everyone steal until you get it).

yh stealing is much better as you can get alot of weapons quiet quickly XD

The Ice staff can be stolen from Grizmaluke as can mythril dagger from Sealion. And you almost don't have to worry about finding the mage masher in the ice caverns since you can steal it in the first fight (make everyone steal until you get it).

I meant the second Ice Staff, the one that helps you learn Bizzara and not Blizzard. I think. It's been a while since I've played. :olivia:

I think it's quicker just to find them personally, then just praying for ages for a steal. Less frustrating.
:dead:

There's only one thing I can think of, and that is the Festival of Hunt in Lindblum, where letting Zidane win is a bad thing. You only get a small amount of gil instead of a nice accessory (which you can get later though)...

The best strategy here is probably to enter the business district when it's 5 minutes left, steal the Needle Fork from the boss and then let Freya deal the finishing blow (or kill Zidane and let the timer run out).

There's a little EXP trick that you can do, which is linked to one of the previous posts.

First of all, you need to
get Quina to join your party before entering Gizamaluke's Grotto. Eat one of the frogs in the swamp you find him/her and hopefully you'll learn "something something LV 3" (Can't remember what it's called). Then, in the areain the grotto where there is two moogles, save and climb up the vines. You'll most likely encounter a Dragon out there every time. Just use the ability that Quina learned every time to kill it. Remember to equip stuff that are poisom resistant and also thunder resistant items too!

What you're thinking of is Lv. 5 Death and you're confusing it for how you get Frog Drop. You get that Lv. 5 Death by eating a trent enemy in the Iifa tree.

Actually another thing with Quina and the Grand Dragon grinding which is a bit riskier but works just as well and is accessible right when you first get Quina is devour a Mu, that gives you Limit Glove. This skill only works when Quina is at 1HP, but hits for 9999 damage. Also make sure to have Freya in your team as every dragon you kill when she's in your team will make her future skill Dragon Crest much more powerful. Make sure everyone is equipped with Antidote ability. Equip Freya with the Coral Ring (if you let her win the Festival) or Zidane if he has the Escape ability (You can't normally run from these fights at your currentl level.) While in the Grotto, kill off Quina and go to the moogles and save. Use a phoenix down (you may have to reset several times) until Quina comes back with 1 HP. It is vital you keep her HP at one, otherwise this trick won't work. Save and go topside.When you encounter a Grand Dragon, have Quina cast Limit Glove once. Then on her next turn, have her use Eat. If Quina gets KO'd, reset and try again. After each successful try, save the game. Use Phoenix Downs to revive people and ethers to feed Quina's mana

Mainly make sure to buy every new weapon you find in stores. I missed a weapon for Steiner early in the game and didn't get one of his abilities because of that. It was so depressing seeing that one empty slot in the list of abilities :sad3: . Also, make sure to level up a lot before going into Gizamaluke's Grotto. Maybe 12-15 is the level that's good. Master Gizamaluke is no fucking joke.

Back